Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

biggfoo posted:

Haven't made bread in a long time but have some guests and figured it is a good enough reason as any so did the fwsy overnight white.

Got a little distracted during the proofing and feel like maybe need to tone down the convection in my oven when the lid is off because it browned pretty swiftly. Still tasty though.

Also some bonus banana bread that's cooling.

Looks nice!

This weekend I made a cranberry walnut brioche with 60% whole wheat flour. I tried to do that fancy thing where you split a filled log vertically and then twist it together but it was so high hydration that it made a lump instead. I also forgot to put the cinnamon in the filling and so put it on the outside as a cinnamon sugar coating. Dough is the no-knead brioche from Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

I've gotten a lot of compliments on the cinnamon sugar coating so I will probably do that again the next time I make it. Both of the 1lb loaves were gone in a day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

I need stand mixer advice. Does anyone have experience, or a guess about the performance of the Kitchenaid Artisan "Mini"? It's a 3.5 qt version and claims to have the same power as the 5 qt. I have a very small kitchen and just saw it on sale for cheap, which is why I am considering it.

I tend to make half batches of almost everything I bake, so mostly the smaller bowl would be fine for me, but if it wouldn't be able to handle two loaves' worth of bread dough then it is a bad idea.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If space is that much at a premium and the only thing you'll use a mixer for is making bread I would save your money and just get a copy of Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza https://www.amazon.com/dp/160774273X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cVnmDbA3NHHZ6
And maybe a Dutch oven and proofing basket if you don't have them already.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
dont believe KA's marketing, their modern home mixers start to chug on any dough that gives much resistance. for a high hydration lean dough it'll work alright, but a brioche will strangle the piddly motor.

if you're only doing lean doughs (just flour water salt yeast) look into no-knead bread or FWSY, it turns out kneading doesnt do much for gluten development. gluten is a self-organizing protein, meaning that with only a little help via regular folding, you'll get as good of a structure as a machine mixed dough.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

JudgeX posted:

dont believe KA's marketing, their modern home mixers start to chug on any dough that gives much resistance. for a high hydration lean dough it'll work alright, but a brioche will strangle the piddly motor.

if you're only doing lean doughs (just flour water salt yeast) look into no-knead bread or FWSY, it turns out kneading doesnt do much for gluten development. gluten is a self-organizing protein, meaning that with only a little help via regular folding, you'll get as good of a structure as a machine mixed dough.

Yeah, I have a KA mixer and I only use it for bread when I need a quick loaf and don’t have time for a (much better) no-knead.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
You could get a Bosch if you really want, but I'd save the space and the money. Usually I recommend Ankarsrum, but honestly it doesn't make a ton of sense in your situation.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yeah I really thought I wanted a stand mixer until I read about no-knead bread.

If you do a lot of other baking things and need to whip egg whites and cream a lot I guess it could still be useful, but it's definitely not necessary for bread. If those egg whites aren't for meringue you can even get away with a handheld electric mixer. (I guess you can use it for for meringue too-- it's just such a long process.)

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Yea if you have space and you bake a decent amount it’s not a bad thing to have around. I would get the bigger one though. Everything I’ve read/seen/experienced with our 5qt makes me think a smaller one wouldn’t be enough. If you are just getting it for bread dough it’s completely unnecessary. No-knead is the way to go.

Just started reading FWSY. Haven’t gotten to the recipes yet but I like it a lot better than Tartine. The explanations and details seem to be a bit better in FWSY. I started reading Tartine and for some reason I didn’t like the writing style/explanations in the beginning. Maybe I just don’t read cooking books enough though. Also FYI, if you have a local library card with an electronic check out system you may be able to check out either of those books and read on your iPad.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Thanks very much everybody. I am going to get that book, too.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

Yea if you have space and you bake a decent amount it’s not a bad thing to have around. I would get the bigger one though. Everything I’ve read/seen/experienced with our 5qt makes me think a smaller one wouldn’t be enough. If you are just getting it for bread dough it’s completely unnecessary. No-knead is the way to go.

Just started reading FWSY. Haven’t gotten to the recipes yet but I like it a lot better than Tartine. The explanations and details seem to be a bit better in FWSY. I started reading Tartine and for some reason I didn’t like the writing style/explanations in the beginning. Maybe I just don’t read cooking books enough though. Also FYI, if you have a local library card with an electronic check out system you may be able to check out either of those books and read on your iPad.

chad's explanation of levain is the most straightforward and simple that i've found. In my experience I reccomend both books, FWSY first to get the fundamentals of bread in general, then tartine to understand sourdough, which forkish doesnt explain very clearly.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm just curious, because I haven't really used my mixer for breads much - is there any reasonable doughs that rely on either a crazy amount of kneading, or kneading something so wet it'd be super hard to do by hand? I wanna try using my mixer for something a little more complex than just a standard dough and the only things I've been able to find on google when I ask about "long kneading times" are articles about doughs that replace kneading with "waiting a long time," or standard bread doughs, which ranges from the opposite of what I'm curious about to something I'm super indifferent towards.

If not, no biggie, I'm more curious than anything.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Brioche is one that because of the high butter content in the dough it's hard to do buy hand.
I've had to do it before with the slap it on the table method but mixer is much easier

Then you can eat brioche and get fat and use the leftover brioche to make French toast and get even fatter:btroll:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of mixers, I've never been totally thrilled with how my KitchenAid does on breads, but I might be using it wrong. I tend to run it on a pretty low speed, like maybe the second setting, and it never seems to pick up the dough off the bottom of the bowl which I guess is what I expect? I usually end up pulling the (still very sticky) dough out and hand-kneading for a while.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made a mostly whole wheat/rye today

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Speaking of mixers, I've never been totally thrilled with how my KitchenAid does on breads, but I might be using it wrong. I tend to run it on a pretty low speed, like maybe the second setting, and it never seems to pick up the dough off the bottom of the bowl which I guess is what I expect? I usually end up pulling the (still very sticky) dough out and hand-kneading for a while.

You gotta really crank up the speed with the dough hook. The downside is you have to hold the mixer down or risk it walking off the counter.
Most doughs will gather into a ball and clean the bowl eventually.

I've not used my kitchen aid for bread dough since I got my Bosch Universal mixer a few years ago.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

effika posted:

Yeah I really thought I wanted a stand mixer until I read about no-knead bread.

If you do a lot of other baking things and need to whip egg whites and cream a lot I guess it could still be useful, but it's definitely not necessary for bread. If those egg whites aren't for meringue you can even get away with a handheld electric mixer. (I guess you can use it for for meringue too-- it's just such a long process.)

Yeah, I rarely use mine for bread, it's mostly for batters and frostings.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Whalley posted:

I'm just curious, because I haven't really used my mixer for breads much - is there any reasonable doughs that rely on either a crazy amount of kneading, or kneading something so wet it'd be super hard to do by hand? I wanna try using my mixer for something a little more complex than just a standard dough and the only things I've been able to find on google when I ask about "long kneading times" are articles about doughs that replace kneading with "waiting a long time," or standard bread doughs, which ranges from the opposite of what I'm curious about to something I'm super indifferent towards.

pretty much only doughs enriched with fat. fat interferes with gluten development so you need to mix a while, then incorperate the fat, then mix a while and it's super time consuming by hand.

mixers are almost a necessity for pastry work though, creaming butter and sugar without one isnt even worth thinking about

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Quick stupid couple of questions. My wife bought me a 4.5 X 4.5 inch bread pan for milk bread (it has a cover and looks like a cube). The recipe here :

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/japanese-milk-bread

is for two 9X5 loaves. Can I split into 4 and make it work?

Also, when I get the pan out of the oven and pop out the loaf, can I just regrease and refill and pop it back in.

booack
Nov 24, 2003
i am a damn dirty ape

Whalley posted:

There are a couple loaves in The Bread Bible that are extremely wet and would be difficult to make by hand. The one that comes to mind is the "infamous" rosemary focaccia, which has an absurd 113% hydration: https://www.cookstr.com/Bread-Recipes/Rosemary-Focaccia-Sheet

I've tried it. It took an hour of mixing for the dough to come together. Not an exaggeration. I timed it.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

booack posted:

There are a couple loaves in The Bread Bible that are extremely wet and would be difficult to make by hand. The one that comes to mind is the "infamous" rosemary focaccia, which has an absurd 113% hydration: https://www.cookstr.com/Bread-Recipes/Rosemary-Focaccia-Sheet

I've tried it. It took an hour of mixing for the dough to come together. Not an exaggeration. I timed it.

the bread bible seems like it sucks rear end and i bet i could make this by hand just by folding it five or six times during the bulk

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
Hey there! I've made bread every now and then. I'm still a beginner, but I've managed brioche buns, simple flour/water/yeast/salt loaves, and other simple stuff, and most of the time they taste great and aren't very dense, I've always struggled with browning/overbaking.

At our house we have a gas oven (until a few years ago, I learned gas ovens aren't very common??), so it's harder to gauge baking times (if I take the bread out at the time specified on the recipe, it will be undercooked nearly always), and I have trouble getting the top to brown without burning the bottom/overbaking. Egg wash helps a bit, but not by much. Any recommendations?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

JudgeX posted:

the bread bible seems like it sucks rear end and i bet i could make this by hand just by folding it five or six times during the bulk

the bread bible loving owns and rose levy beranbaum is mommy

gently caress u

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Siselmo posted:

Hey there! I've made bread every now and then. I'm still a beginner, but I've managed brioche buns, simple flour/water/yeast/salt loaves, and other simple stuff, and most of the time they taste great and aren't very dense, I've always struggled with browning/overbaking.

At our house we have a gas oven (until a few years ago, I learned gas ovens aren't very common??), so it's harder to gauge baking times (if I take the bread out at the time specified on the recipe, it will be undercooked nearly always), and I have trouble getting the top to brown without burning the bottom/overbaking. Egg wash helps a bit, but not by much. Any recommendations?

Are you using a stone?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Siselmo posted:

Also, do you have an oven thermometer? The oven in my apartment sucks and I use a giant marmite to for all of my loaves.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Liquid Communism posted:

Are you using a stone?

I've only heard about stones for pizza??

Mauser posted:

Also, do you have an oven thermometer? The oven in my apartment sucks and I use a giant marmite to for all of my loaves.

Never thought of that. I'll get a thermometer next paycheck.

Siselmo fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 27, 2019

Aergo
Feb 1, 2009

I made baguettes today for the first time and they tore open in places other than where they were scored. Is it fair to assume this is due to some combination of not scoring deeply enough and under proofing?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Aergo posted:

I made baguettes today for the first time and they tore open in places other than where they were scored. Is it fair to assume this is due to some combination of not scoring deeply enough and under proofing?

yes. score deeper than you think is reasonable. about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way into the loaf is not too deep

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Siselmo posted:

I've only heard about stones for pizza??

Stones (or baking steels, or heavy cast iron) hold onto the oven heat and release it slowly back into the oven. They keep the temperature steadier and help deflect some of the direct heat from the oven's burners to give a more even bake. I keep my cast iron pizza pan in the oven for just about everything now and my non-bread bakes are better for it. (I also bake bread in a cast iron dutch oven inside my normal oven and it is great, and do bigger loaves on the pizza pan.)

When in contact the bread dough, they also transfer heat much more efficiently than air.

There are many articles listing the pluses and minuses of each material. I have settled on cast iron for a few reasons:

1) I can't safely list baking steels
2) I am very clumsy and baking stones will break easier than metal
3) My cast iron pieces have uses outside of the oven

Actual baking steels cost an arm and a leg, but metal fabricators will custom cut you a slab of your preferred thickness and size for pretty cheap. You just have to wash the oils off thoroughly.

Some people claim that cast iron burns the bottoms of their loaves, but I haven't found that to be true if I've got the loaf on parchment paper.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
in addition to the notes everyone else has given, you can try baking in a rapidly descending oven. Oven spring happens for about 10-15 minutes, so you can start a loaf at 500 and then drop the temp to like 375-400 after about 5 minutes.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
What's the most effective method for creating steam in your oven?

I always get good results with the Dutch oven, but it's a pain to bake each loaf one at a time and at best I could only barely fit two dutch ovens in there simultaneously. I'm looking for a way to create steam in the oven itself so that I can more easily bake 4 or 5 loaves at once.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mikey Purp posted:

I always get good results with the Dutch oven, but it's a pain to bake each loaf one at a time and at best I could only barely fit two dutch ovens in there simultaneously. I'm looking for a way to create steam in the oven itself so that I can more easily bake 4 or 5 loaves at once.

Baking tray on lowest shelf filled with water.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

If you can get your hands on some heavy chain to put in the pan it'll give it some extra surface area to help create steam.

booack
Nov 24, 2003
i am a damn dirty ape

JudgeX posted:

Overall I've enjoyed the recipes I've made from it and have a few "weekly or bimonthly" staples from it. Occasionally I've found a few failures, like that drat focaccia, which I'm simply too lazy to keep trying.

booack
Nov 24, 2003
i am a damn dirty ape

therattle posted:

Baking tray on lowest shelf filled with water.

You really only need steam at the start, so I've had success with "throw a couple ice cubes on a preheated piece of cast iron or just the stove floor".

Note: if you do this with cast iron it'll rust eventually. I just used a cheap griddle pan I never really used, and will restore it later if I want it.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Gave another run at some bread again fwsy overnight with the field blend 1 mix 70% white 20% whole wheat 10% dark(only kind of rye I could find) rye.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

Dutch oven works great as long as you never want to bake two at the same time. I tried lots of things and what I settled on was preheating a brick in a full pan with the oven and pouring a kettle of boiling water into it when I put the bread in. This way you aren't wasting the oven's heat getting the water up to temp, you've got some extra heat stored in the brick to keep it going, and the water has a lot of surface area since it's boiling in a large, flat pan. Also you can use the brick to press sandwiches, hold down lids etc. now that it's kicking around your kitchen

If you want a more versatile pizza stone, pick up a box of unglazed quarry tile at home depot (definitely pick them up at the store, if you get them delivered they might all be broken). Then you can lay out as large or small a surface as you need, in any oven or grill, and if a tile cracks you can just throw it away and grab another from the box

e: like these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-Quarry-Red-Flash-6-in-x-6-in-Ceramic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-11-sq-ft-case-0T02661P/202653749

half of the reviews are for oven use :v:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 30, 2019

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can also wrap up some dish towels in a pan and pour boiling water all over them. Put that at the bottom of the oven. Just be sure to thoroughly soak them so they stay wet the whole time.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Was gonna try and make a rye bread but the store didn’t have any rye flour yesterday so just decided to make a normal sourdough

booack
Nov 24, 2003
i am a damn dirty ape

poverty goat posted:

If you want a more versatile pizza stone, pick up a box of unglazed quarry tile at home depot (definitely pick them up at the store, if you get them delivered they might all be broken). Then you can lay out as large or small a surface as you need, in any oven or grill, and if a tile cracks you can just throw it away and grab another from the box

There's a (now) hilarious section of Julia Child's, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, where she asserts the best way to bake baguette is on top of an asbestos tile. Years later she apparently corrected that recommendation for obvious reasons, but said she never found another material that replicated a brickoven environment as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Friendship ended with LOAF, now ROLL is my best friend.

120g sourdough starter, 170g water, 100g white flour, 80g dark rye flour. Mixed it up and put it in the oven with the light on for 3 hours. Added another 120g of white flour, made dough, let it rise, cut and shaped rolls, did my second proof. Baked on a pizza stone at 500 degrees for 15 minutes.

They're fluffy and delicious.