Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Frankenstein's Monster? More like Frankenstein's Cutie amirite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I appreciate your efforts and your filenames Baal, thank you.

Also is Summer 1 part 2 Beowulf's only event appearance outside of introduction and maybe Nerofest? Jeez. I totally forgot him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Thanks for the writeup and congrats on BBeach!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HGH posted:

I appreciate your efforts and your filenames Baal, thank you.

Also is Summer 1 part 2 Beowulf's only event appearance outside of introduction and maybe Nerofest? Jeez. I totally forgot him.

He's actually a relatively significant character in the first Lostbelt, but otherwise yeah dude's not used much

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Captain Baal posted:

Hello everyone it is I, Baal, ur good friend. Come to regale you with musings written at 2 in the morning about how Penthesilea's musculature is something all of us as people should strive for

But for real though here are the summer servants.

Also I got Summer BB yesterday :toot:

:toot:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Captain Baal posted:

Hello everyone it is I, Baal, ur good friend. Come to regale you with musings written at 2 in the morning about how Penthesilea's musculature is something all of us as people should strive for

Thanks for this (also, get it on this page!)

This is the first event I'm really going to hard-pass on. I would love a Berserker Nobu, but I don't need her, and I want to save for Foreigner-class characters down the track. The only other character I give enough of a stuff about is Rin Ishtar and she's free, so lucky me, I guess!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A goon who doesn’t roll on Nero/Nobu day, a shameful goon

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Meanwhile, I am sitting here not interested in a single new summer Servant and cackle greedily as I watch another pile of Saint Quartz pouring in my Scrooge McDuck style vault.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I am a simple man; I see a Nobu, I roll.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Here’s a list of Servants I don’t want:

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I was planning on rolling for Nobu but then I noticed her mat requirements. Ouch. I'm still needing a ton of stingers for Moriarty. Looks like Fran’s my only real target this time, otherwise I’m saving everything for Merlin.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Bogart posted:

A goon who doesn’t roll on Nero/Nobu day, a shameful goon

I did roll that banner and got Scheherazade instead, so I still won

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Picked this up and it seems pretty good. Is it worth rerolling for any of the summer units?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Here’s a list of Servants I don’t want:

A third loving Okabe spook?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Your free tutorial roll only gets you up to 4*s so unless you wanna replay the first campaign over and over, don't reroll. :v:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

cirus posted:

Picked this up and it seems pretty good. Is it worth rerolling for any of the summer units?

Rerolling for a summer servant won’t make sense. But which 4* servant did you get? There’s about five different ones possible that are really good.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Roll for whoever is cute

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you got Marie in the free 4* roll, retry, she blows. :colbert: e: I don't mean this in a waifu war sense, I mean she is a solidly defensive character that cannot support the party at all outside of her terrible charm skill. And especially in the early game , where strategy doesn't mean much compared to hitting the enemy very hard, she can't keep up with the likes of Emiya or Herc. Using her with Mash means she won't die, but Mash is great, and there's better low-star characters that do a better job at Marie's niche than Marie. Emiya and Herc will always be useful -- Herc may well be one of the best units in FGO -- but Marie struggles to fill her role.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 27, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The best choice for the starter is Emiya, but they are all very good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

(Herc,) Siegfried, Carmilla, Emiya

in that order

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

Rerolling for a summer servant won’t make sense. But which 4* servant did you get? There’s about five different ones possible that are really good.

I got Martha and a couple of 3* servants along with a couple of 4* essences.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Rider Martha is okay. She's definitely good enough to get by with as a starting Servant, but she's not anything particularly special though. If you want to maximize gameplay, you'd want to reroll for Heracles or maybe Emiya. There are some really good Summer 2 Servants, but they also generally require materials that you probably won't be able to get for a while outside of this event to level up, and I'm not sure what your chances are of being able to get them from the shop.

The only other thing to consider is that a very good welfare 4* Rider comes from the Summer 2 event, Rider Ishtar, so having another Rider as a starter might be redundant, but I'm really not sure what your chances are of being able to clear the event and level her up are. Some story quests let you bring a friend support that can carry a new account but I don't know if Summer 2 is beatable with a brand new account. Some event quests don't let you take friend Servants to carry you and would lock your progression.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

cirus posted:

I got Martha and a couple of 3* servants along with a couple of 4* essences.

Martha is okay, she isn’t strong but has two very important support skills.

Something rare about FGO is that most of the free servants are incredibly strong and useful. Once you find the strong 3* servants, Martha can support them all wonderfully. Make sure you don’t miss your free friend point roll every day.

If you really really want to reroll, I’d rank the best ones as Hercules->emiya->tamacat->carmilla. Some people like Elizabeth or Siegfried but I don’t like them.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Yeah, it's definitely important to learn the useful bronze and silver Servants. 2* Georgios is one of the best tanks in the game, 2* Hans is an excellent support caster, 3* Lancer Cu Chullain is a difficult to kill cockroach, 3* Robin Hood is the first single target DPS you'll probably use regularly, especially early on. All sunmonable from free friend point rolls.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

dogsicle posted:

(Herc,) Siegfried, Carmilla, Emiya

in that order

Mostly agree, but even considering his future buffs I wouldn't put Siegfried that high. If he had an NP charge skill sure, but even given the rarity of AoE Sabers I don't think okay AoE damage and an uncommon niche is enough to put him in the top three.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Shout out to my man David with his group evade, he's grailed and Bond 10 for a reason

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

NRVNQSR posted:

Mostly agree, but even considering his future buffs I wouldn't put Siegfried that high. If he had an NP charge skill sure, but even given the rarity of AoE Sabers I don't think okay AoE damage and an uncommon niche is enough to put him in the top three.

I mean the main thing is that if you hit his Dragon conditional (which can be done easily enough) then he does more damage then most Single Target Noble Phantasms

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dee Ehm posted:

Yeah, it's definitely important to learn the useful bronze and silver Servants. 2* Georgios is one of the best tanks in the game, 2* Hans is an excellent support caster, 3* Lancer Cu Chullain is a difficult to kill cockroach, 3* Robin Hood is the first single target DPS you'll probably use regularly, especially early on. All sunmonable from free friend point rolls.

Another one is Ushiwakamaru who is a great boss killer for Demon Pillars.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

i am grading him on a curve in that i feel like he's a good option that fills a niche most new players can't, on top of being generally cheap to raise. he has all his buffs now, so short of having a battery he's one of the best 4* sabers at moving from NP to NP, and that (exploitable) niche can even let him serve as ST DPS. in a top 3 i'd say he and Carmilla are pretty much interchangeable, mostly i just feel like it's worth pushing back on how highly Emiya gets rated considering how good the rest of his class is, and how reliant he is on Hawkeye.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

dogsicle posted:

i am grading him on a curve in that i feel like he's a good option that fills a niche most new players can't, on top of being generally cheap to raise. he has all his buffs now, so short of having a battery he's one of the best 4* sabers at moving from NP to NP, and that (exploitable) niche can even let him serve as ST DPS. in a top 3 i'd say he and Carmilla are pretty much interchangeable, mostly i just feel like it's worth pushing back on how highly Emiya gets rated considering how good the rest of his class is, and how reliant he is on Hawkeye.

That's fair; personally I would put him just in the next tier down with Liz and Tamacat but Herc, Carmilla, Sieg, Emiya certainly isn't a bad top four.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Captain Baal posted:

Good writeup as usual, but something you said here made me quirk an eyebrow: does enemy class actually effect how much NP you get when attacking them, or were you just using a roundabout way of referring to overkill?

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for the advice! Most gachas advocate rerolling for an ultra rare unit. I'm glad that free units are useful in this one.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Good writeup as usual, but something you said here made me quirk an eyebrow: does enemy class actually effect how much NP you get when attacking them, or were you just using a roundabout way of referring to overkill?

yes, the class you're attacking does affect how much NP you gain. zerkers and assassins are the lowest at 0.8x and 0.9x respectively, with most other classes having 1.0x. riders give 1.1x and casters/mooncancer give 1.2x.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

serefin99 posted:

Yes. Technically it's a number that can be different for every enemy, but it's almost always consistent across enemies of each class so people usually just use per-class numbers as a shorthand.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

dogsicle posted:

yes, the class you're attacking does affect how much NP you gain. zerkers and assassins are the lowest at 0.8x and 0.9x respectively, with most other classes having 1.0x. riders give 1.1x and casters/mooncancer give 1.2x.

Holy poo poo, how am I only just now learning about this?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

serefin99 posted:

Holy poo poo, how am I only just now learning about this?

i only started to hear about it once skadi looping became a thing and the class mods mattered more for making sure your loop was reliable. not sure if it even has a tooltip in the game, but it could since there's still been stuff i had to learn about mechanics over a year in.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

dogsicle posted:

:psyduck: what the gently caress

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

dogsicle posted:

but why

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
After reading those write ups, I think I'm still going to aim for at least one copy of Maid Alter. Those doofy animations and NP are too good to pass up. But after that, full on Nobu and Umu rolls.

Current event at least it got me 2 extra Archtorias, 3 Summer Maries, a lancer Vlad, SurferMo, and Smolsnek. Here's hoping I don't run out of quartz...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Emiya is heavily reliant on his strengthenings to be decent, which means you've got to level him all the way up to max ascension before he stops feeling mediocre. That's a bit expensive for a new player who needs to level up a bunch of servants at once.

On the other hand, Liz and Carmilla both do fine even without their strengthenings (and aren't even that dependent on their skills), while Herc doesn't even have strengthenings and can Buster Beatstick straight through the first couple of Singularities even without ascending him to unlock his survivability skills.