Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Imagine making a paragraph that long about elfs and not knowing Nettle Sentinel is a card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Along imagine the same thing but storm and Pyromancer's Ascension

"20 storm" lmao what a fuckin clod

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lone Goat posted:

Imagine making a paragraph that long about elfs and not knowing Nettle Sentinel is a card

sick man nice job running out a board of 2/2s

now what

I’m gonna lay my cards down here: I didn’t pick glimpse and rite of flame at random, I’ve actually sleeved up rite of flame storm and glimpse elves in modern testing with friends. there are definitely cards on the banlist that have to remain there: hypergenesis, jitte, dread return, and so on. ur rite storm is a bad deck, and glimpse elves is just... fine. you don’t have to believe me! Proxies are free! Sleeve it and try it yourself! But if you are just gonna be like “lul have u thought of... THIS?!” without putting in any effort to actually test things then do us both a favor and don’t waste anyone’s time

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 27, 2019

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

why is glimpse of nature banned

why is rite of flame banned

if these cards were unbanned, would the decks they create have any impact on the format whatsoever? elves doesn’t have wirewood symbiote, quirion ranger, natural order or gaea’s cradle. storm doesn’t have ponder, preordain, or even gitaxian probe! the modern banlist is way too loving long

Elves still has Heritage Druid and Nettle Sentinel.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

evaluate that statement. what is elves drawing to? how does it chain off with 1) no ability to bounce visionaries, 2) no lands that tap for more than 1 mana and 3) no natural order? like, imagine an explosive elves turn, then just imagine if the deck was cocoing into half of the Vizier combo instead. It would be a deck, it wouldn’t be an absurd deck.

Same with storm. Is the reason UR storm not a deck right now that there’s not quite enough fast mana? Or is it just that Phoenix is a better way to play UR? How are you building to 20 storm without ponder or preordain? force of negation can interrupt you and you can’t force back to protect yourself.

Have you heard of the card Heritage Druid? I heard it's got a great activated ability.

Also, yes, one of the bigger issues with Storm is literally that you don't have enough fast mana and you rely on your mana dorks to make the fast mana good. If you had more fast mana, you could actually more consistently assemble grapeshot -> pif -> grapeshot or generally use pif much more effectively.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

now what

Are you trying to get dunked on or something? Or have you never actually seen an elves deck before and for some reason think that you know how it works better than anyone else?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

now what

I’m gonna lay my cards down here: I didn’t pick glimpse and rite of flame at random, I’ve actually sleeved up rite of flame storm and glimpse elves in modern testing with friends. there are definitely cards on the banlist that have to remain there: hypergenesis, jitte, dread return, and so on. ur rite storm is a bad deck, and glimpse elves is just... fine. you don’t have to believe me! Proxies are free! Sleeve it and try it yourself! But if you are just gonna be like “lul have u thought of... THIS?!” without putting in any effort to actually test things then do us both a favor and don’t waste anyone’s time

Gotta see this elf list

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Are you trying to get dunked on or something? Or have you never actually seen an elves deck before and for some reason think that you know how it works better than anyone else?

yeah you’re right I’ll just natural order for... oh
no it’s fine I can GSZ and grab... oh

I mean, I’ve said my piece here, if you are really really sure its not like I can convince you. And it’s highly unlikely to be unbanned because wotc hates to take risks with unbans. But the core problem that modern elves has is that, while you can chain elves into elves, your chains are a lot more fragile than legacy’s due to lack of birchlore, quirion, and wirewood, and it’s much easier to fizzle out even with heritage Druid and multiple nettle sentinels. you also pretty much to have to let your opponent untap at least once due to the lack of natural order. I think the deck is good! I don’t think it’s better than a lot of other stuff the format is doing! And if you are really, positively sure I’m wrong and stupid, it’s really not hard to test it yourself!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

For what it's worth, we do have Finale of Devastation now. It's a fairly pale imitation (Rampant Growth vs Elves, 1GG elf vs 1G) in some aspects, but once you're generating arbitrarily large amounts of mana it'll end games all the same.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah you’re right I’ll just natural order for... oh

I mean, I’ve said my piece here, if you are really really sure its not like I can convince you. And it’s highly unlikely to be unbanned because wotc hates to take risks with unbans. But the core problem that modern elves has is that, while you can chain elves into elves, your chains are a lot more fragile than legacy’s due to lack of birchlore, quirion, and wirewood, and it’s much easier to fizzle out even with heritage Druid and multiple nettle sentinels. you also pretty much to have to let your opponent untap at least once due to the lack of natural order. I think the deck is good! I don’t think it’s better than a lot of other stuff the format is doing! And if you are really, positively sure I’m wrong and stupid, it’s really not hard to test it yourself!

You need to take a break.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Gotta see this elf list

to the best of my memory, being that this was a little while ago:
4 Elvish Archdruid
4 Dwynen’s Elite
4 Visionary
4 Nettle Sentinel
4 Heritage Druid
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Llanowar Elves
3 Ezuri
1 Craterhoof
2 Fauna Shaman
4 Chord of Calling
4 Glimpse
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Horizon Canopy
10 Forest

don’t remember the sideboard

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is this Dana Fischer

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'd defiantly play elves in modern but defiant elf isn't legal so there went that plan.

I'd be on the lookout for it but Elvish Lookout isn't legal either.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/heyworstartist/status/1155194361157758976

:10bux:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

lmaoooo strap in fellas.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

there's a small twitter thread from there but here's the two important ones

https://twitter.com/heyworstartist/status/1155195734876205061
https://twitter.com/heyworstartist/status/1155202714076422144

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
If people are willing to work for free, getting them to pay for the privilege shouldn't be too hard, right?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

If people are willing to work for free, getting them to pay for the privilege shouldn't be too hard, right?

It's basically union fees

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

That is not how union fees work at all.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Union fees are generally a percent of your wages, usually 1%, or a flat fee which comes to a similar amount. In this case, they will receive approximately 1 (one) pack of the latest set for every 3 (three) medium-sized tournaments the judge judges.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

A union protects your livelihood and negotiates with an employer

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

JerryLee posted:

It's possible for people to want a "rotating status quo" but with a less restricted card pool than Standard. Whether Wizards should actually do it is another matter, since you can only make so many formats without harmfully balkanizing things, but "that's what standard is for!" is not actually an answer.

Arena's about to create a new format when rotation starts, and if that translates into paper I think it would be a good thing since "Modern" has cards that are 16 years old at this point, which is a pretty immense barrier to entry. Yeah, that would kind of suck for everyone who's super invested in Modern, but the format's going to decline over time anyway as more and more players start who weren't even born when 8th Edition came out, so they may as well create something more viable.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 27, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Sampatrick posted:

Yes, a deduction from your paycheck. That said paycheck is an occasional booster doesn't change this comparison at all.

It totally does

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

So if WOTC isn't running it, who is? And if they're not running it but are still sanctioning it, why all the bullshit about it being completely separate?

This announcement on Monday is going to be very interesting.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, that is literally the function of the Judge Academy as it has been described so far

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

lmao around the time I quit judging we were joking that soon we’d be paying wotc for the privilege

and lo it came to pass

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

Yes, that is literally the function of the Judge Academy as it has been described so far

A union doesn't handle job training or employee management, and generally unions take a much more adversarial stance towards their members being compelled to do work for unfair compensation.

Have you ever actually been in a union?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, it does sound like a company union, in that it's probably a sham entity created by Hasbro to evade prosecution for labor law violations

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mat Cauthon posted:

A union doesn't handle job training or employee management, and generally unions take a much more adversarial stance towards their members being compelled to do work for unfair compensation.

Have you ever actually been in a union?

99% chance his only knowledge of unions comes from a dictionary and that united airlines poster.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Great zinger I just thought of:

Everyone: pay judges

wotc: judges pay

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm waiting for some more information to come out on this one because 'pay us for the training to provide us with a service' is so outrageous that I'm not ready to take it at face value.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Sampatrick posted:

Does this mean minimum wage and benefits?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Does this mean minimum wage and benefits?

Yes, you will pay WotC minimum wage while judging

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

yea what a stupid post that was

this seems super shady and i'd love to know who's bank account that goes to and what the dues are intended to pay for

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
If it's not a disaster seems more along the lines of a professional organization. Most of those have fees, handle certification, and organize training/development.

But the qualifier is the if, lol.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TheDemon posted:

If it's not a disaster seems more along the lines of a professional organization. Most of those have fees, handle certification, and organize training/development.

But the qualifier is the if, lol.

and most of those are for professions, where you get paid a decent wage, not paid close to minimum wage to work at PR events for multi-billion dollar multinational conglomerates.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

JerryLee posted:

It's possible for people to want a "rotating status quo" but with a less restricted card pool than Standard.

Yeah, Extended was great

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The sabotaging of organized play is really odd.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Laughing a lot at this person's attempts to backpedal basically amounting to 'No judges are not paying WOTC money! They're just paying some nebulous other entity for the priviledge of spending their time getting shouted at by overweight nerds for not understanding the true beauty of their illegal shuffling technique' like they can't understand that people aren't mad about WOTC getting money, but rather judges paying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

So if WOTC isn't running it, who is? And if they're not running it but are still sanctioning it, why all the bullshit about it being completely separate?

This announcement on Monday is going to be very interesting.

This is what WotC has always wanted. A judge started a class action lawsuit, which uh, good intentions maybe, maybe not, but it's responsible for Hasbro/WotC panicking and dismantling organized play in the most disorganized way possible.