Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Are there any win conditions at all that do work well in vs. multiplayer? The problem is that the goal becomes available for all players as soon as one player meets the condition, right?

Here's a Mario 3 desert level suitable for speedrunning that I put together in one night. Unlike the last Mario 3 desert level suitable for speedrunning that I put together in one night, and despite the name, there's no toilet humor in this one. Wind, springboards, precision jumping—it's just like those Lost Levels courses you hate!

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
some become available for whoever completes it (so like i think for red coins for example, its whoever gets the last one) & then ppl can jump on their head to steal it (or if they die it bubbles i think)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
if u have a single super mushroom in a level & the completion is "Only can complete as Big Mario" - then the moment someone gets that mushroom its over 4 everyone else

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Pakled posted:

Koopa Harbour
by Perry Normal
This level was a pure delight. I loved the use of the SMB air theme to create boats, that's unexpected and awesome. The theme was really cool, it had such varied obstacles yet felt unified under one fun theme. I think I might have enjoyed it a bit more if the level was a bit more stingy with powerups, but overall this was a really great one.

Glad you liked it! Appreciate the feedback on item placement, I always go back and forth a lot trying to balance it. Thanks for playing!

OneMoreTime posted:

#757 Wet Wet Woods
By: Perry Normal LR6-J3H-5CG

Man, it is so helpful to watch someone else play your level. In the first underwater section, I should have just had that giant piranha plant sitting on the pipe instead of in it, it's kind of unfair how he pops out at you when you're swimming up. Thanks for playing, it was really fun watching!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hat Thoughts posted:

some become available for whoever completes it (so like i think for red coins for example, its whoever gets the last one) & then ppl can jump on their head to steal it (or if they die it bubbles i think)

Also, for something like "Collect/Kill X", multiple players can acquire the clear condition.

It is possible to build a multiplayer level around stealing from the other players. For it to work, there have to be multiple paths which require that the holder be chased down and these have to be complex enough that a player has a chance to catch up and get the key/clear condition.

Hat Thoughts posted:

if u have a single super mushroom in a level & the completion is "Only can complete as Big Mario" - then the moment someone gets that mushroom its over 4 everyone else

Power ups respawn in multiplayer and even occur multiple times in a question blocks. That's less of a big deal.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I wonder what the play rates are like for each difficulty. I think I have one level each in easy, normal and expert and the expert one is the only one getting traffic anymore. I can sort of believe it since all streamers do expert runs, but I would love to see some numbers.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Besesoth posted:

I hope what to do is post it here! :ohdear:

Stand On Your Own Head
2QJ-MK9-F9G

Ground, semi-solid platforms, pipes, an invisible block
Coins, pink coins
Dry Bones, Podoboos ("Lava bubbles", psh)
Icicles, key, key door

I made a minor change to how the level is structured (one necessary element wasn't obvious enough), so I've updated with the new code.

...and now that I've updated, I see another change I'd like to make. (But it's purely aesthetic, so I won't bother.) Oh well.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

DorianGravy posted:

Neat level. It took me about three lives to figure out how to get the second key (even though the first key should have given me a hint). In general, it could use a bit more polish (and probably a few less Lakitus), but it was still fun.

Thanks. I agree, blitz levels are hard to put some polish into by their very nature but replaying this morning I should have cut out a Lakitu or two. It's interesting to see what kind of things you have to cut for time and ideas you have to scrap quickly just to make things work, and it can negatively impact a level. It was fun!

OneMoreTime fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 27, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

J-Spot posted:

After a lot of iteration my jam course is up:

Mole Money Mole Problems
Course ID: 89Q-QFY-LQG
Target Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

Ride a mole-powered mine cart as you hunt for gold in Monty's Mine. This one started life as a fairly traditional stage featuring various obstacles using moles as the main course element, but when I was playing with a segment that involved a mole carryng a bill blaster that you had to ride I decided to scrap everything I had done and restart with a focus on that particular gimmick. I could easily base a super expert course around this but I wanted to target a normal difficulty which may have been a fool's errand, especially since I included a clear condition which I felt supported the theme. Still, I did everything I could think of to tutorialize the mechanic and ramp things up so that there's only a couple of tricky parts that are also lethal. I probably ended up with something too hard for normal players and too easy for expert players, but if it's recieved well I can always revisit the concept and try a harder one later.

Well, it looks like I failed in my attempt to create a normal difficulty stage. Initially I had some decent feedback from folks I'd shared it with and a clear rate at around 13%, but after a brief stint in popular it dropped to around 6% once the masses got a hold of it. Forget the parts I was worried about being too hard, based on the red x's in the level people were unable to complete parts of the opening section that don't even require player input.

NofrikinfuN posted:

I wonder what the play rates are like for each difficulty. I think I have one level each in easy, normal and expert and the expert one is the only one getting traffic anymore. I can sort of believe it since all streamers do expert runs, but I would love to see some numbers.
Good question. From what I've noticed the daily play counts on my levels tend to vary based around how popular the level already is so the stuff that already has a lot of plays just gets more. The exception is Perilous Parkour Palace which still gets over 100 plays a day, but I chalk that up to it being discoverable on the all-time leaderboard if you filter on expert.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Bowser's Carrier Fleet

D3X-395-HWG

Mostly just an excuse to gently caress around with winged shoes all day. Shouldn't be too terribly tough given all the powerups but definitely not "easy" in the endless easy sense.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

NofrikinfuN posted:

I have levels in everything but Super Expert and they all get plays, even my earliest levels will pop off a play now and then. Of course I have so many levels that my notification tab goes nuts and any time I check them I have at least two to three more, even if it's only been a couple of minutes since I last checked. I'm thinking of turning off alerts but I haven't quite yet.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Title: CYOA: Mario and the Desert Gold
Code: GN8-PMW-9SG
Description: CYOA as Mario makes his way through the Pharaoh's tomb.
Difficulty: Easy

This level is basically the sequel or maybe spiritual successor to Mario and the Hidden Treasure. It's another one where you don't have to do every challenge to complete the level. Hopefully signposted better and with less cheese. Let me know what you think!

Now off to work on the Blitz!

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 28, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Haven't had as much time to keep up with postings the past couple of days so here are some reviews of what I could get through before lunch:

Besesoth posted:

Stand On Your Own Head
2QJ-MK9-F9G

Pretty good for a blitz level. My big issue with it is that when you come out of the subworld for the first time the next drop is completely blind. If you just do a YOLO jump you can fall into a pit, and if you drop down like you're supposed to you risk running into a dry bones you didn't know was there.

Rollersnake posted:

Here's a Mario 3 desert level suitable for speedrunning that I put together in one night. Unlike the last Mario 3 desert level suitable for speedrunning that I put together in one night, and despite the name, there's no toilet humor in this one. Wind, springboards, precision jumping—it's just like those Lost Levels courses you hate!
Got the first clear in about 10 or so attempts I would guess. If you're playing it normal it's quite difficult but I think the design was fair enough so I think you pulled off your lost levels style well. I went back for the speed run and realized you had set it up to be much easier for that so nice design there. I'm sure you thought the level wasn't long enough to merit a checkpoint but I think it would have gotten more people to finish and ultimately like the level.

OneMoreTime posted:

Finished my Blitz level, A Gentle Rain of Fire! I finished in roughly about an hour, and kept going back-and-forth on whether or not the Lakitus needed to be cut down a bit, but I left them alone after a bit.

I thought the Lakitus were fine. Nice level. I do enjoy a good starman run now and then.

Straight White Shark posted:

Bowser's Carrier Fleet

D3X-395-HWG

Mostly just an excuse to gently caress around with winged shoes all day. Shouldn't be too terribly tough given all the powerups but definitely not "easy" in the endless easy sense.
A fun little romp with a rarer power-up. Should slide into normal endless just fine.

Konstantin posted:

Finished my level:

Zero G Parkour
SM3-49Y-HDG

I haven't played a level that shows what you can do in NSMB low gravity, so I decided to make one. I wanted to use the "finish the course without landing" condition, but apparently the game considers a P-switch to be solid ground some of the time.

Very interesting level idea. I haven't really seen a NSMB wall-jump level with the low gravity mechanic either. In certain ways it doesn't feel great although I think you have some cool challenges using it but I think you could have disigned the course to be a little more forgiving. I gave up after failing to get on Yoshi too many times. I think you wanted it to happen on the wall slide but it's not exactly foolproof and I can't find a way back up once you miss it. The one time I did manage it I got to the p-switch section and hosed that up, and once again you provided no opportunity to recover.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

J-Spot posted:

Pretty good for a blitz level. My big issue with it is that when you come out of the subworld for the first time the next drop is completely blind. If you just do a YOLO jump you can fall into a pit, and if you drop down like you're supposed to you risk running into a dry bones you didn't know was there.

Thanks! It's a fair cop; I could probably put a ledge down there so players can see what's coming, or at least some arrows to signal "drop here". But I'm reluctant to update a blitz level again. :)

Question: is it possible to make a "classic" multi-item block, such that if you're small Mario it gives you a Super Mushroom, but if you're Super Mario it gives you a fire flower/cape feather/etc. ? I'd swear I'd seen that in a MM2 level, but I can't work out how to create them on my own or what the search terms would be to find the information.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Besesoth posted:

Thanks! It's a fair cop; I could probably put a ledge down there so players can see what's coming, or at least some arrows to signal "drop here". But I'm reluctant to update a blitz level again. :)

Question: is it possible to make a "classic" multi-item block, such that if you're small Mario it gives you a Super Mushroom, but if you're Super Mario it gives you a fire flower/cape feather/etc. ? I'd swear I'd seen that in a MM2 level, but I can't work out how to create them on my own or what the search terms would be to find the information.

Yes! Grab your secondary powerup (fire flower, feather, etc) and tap it like you would if you were making an enemy big or something. That will allow you to add a mushroom to it so it becomes a progression powerup.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

OneMoreTime posted:

Yes! Grab your secondary powerup (fire flower, feather, etc) and tap it like you would if you were making an enemy big or something. That will allow you to add a mushroom to it so it becomes a progression powerup.

Aha, thank you! :tipshat:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

J-Spot posted:

Got the first clear in about 10 or so attempts I would guess. If you're playing it normal it's quite difficult but I think the design was fair enough so I think you pulled off your lost levels style well. I went back for the speed run and realized you had set it up to be much easier for that so nice design there. I'm sure you thought the level wasn't long enough to merit a checkpoint but I think it would have gotten more people to finish and ultimately like the level.

My main thought on not including a checkpoint was to not mess up the level for speedrunning, but I guess I easily could've put one somewhere that would be out of the way only for speedrunners. Oh well, something to keep in mind for next time.

I don't think anyone's gotten to the sub-area yet, and I'm thinking I probably shouldn't have bothered. It's really unlikely anyone will get to it on their first pass through the level, and instead of a bonus room, it's more like a secret exit route, if that was a thing you could do.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Besesoth posted:

Ugh, that sucks. :(

And - I see what you mean. I've made some updates to handle that problem and also add an optional sub-section: 6NX-NDX-2TG

DalaranJ, would you please update the spreadsheet with the new code?

I updated the code for "The Bridge is Out".

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I thought I made an easy map last time but the clear rate has sunk below 3% and my maker score is dropping pretty steadily. I figured I ought to make a few easier ones first, so I decided to make a map that's pretty chilled out and closer in spirit to a traditional Mario level.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Me 25 minutes into making my blitz level: "This would be a really awesome stage if I could use some other parts and make it more elaborate. Wait a second..." So that went into a my "work in progress" folder. I might start over and just make a cute little platformer stage.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sky High Jinks
Course ID: 0FB-S2K-D1H
Difficulty: Expert
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

This is the final stage I plan to remake from Mario Maker 1. At the time it was sort of my swan song from level creation although I did a one-off about a year afterwards. I didn't have any sort of gimmicks in mind for this one so I just started stringing together platforming challenges with the only goals being I wanted multiple paths and to have a theme of progressing higher and higher into the sky. I was always very proud of this one and it ended up winning one of the weekly contests in the old thread. I've made a few adjustments here and there but it's mostly the same.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Volte posted:

I thought I made an easy map last time but the clear rate has sunk below 3% and my maker score is dropping pretty steadily. I figured I ought to make a few easier ones first, so I decided to make a map that's pretty chilled out and closer in spirit to a traditional Mario level.

In my experience, for the average maker your likes are going to be directly proportional to your clears. Pretty much all of my levels have likes equal to around 50-60% of the total clears.

Definitely going to try your level later. My favorite levels are the ones that actually attempt to be sort of like traditional Mario levels, and unfortunately those are vanishingly rare amidst the vast fields of spikes and naked pipes.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Volte posted:

I tried both of your levels. This one is definitely nice and should land in the normal difficulty range. The first one was decent and didn't take me too many attempts to clear so I brought your clear rate up a tiny bit. It has some tricky bits and a few moments where I thought you could ease up on the difficulty a bit and some annoying things like the feather that runs away from you in night mode. It's also plays a little slow which I didn't mind too much but the general player base seems to hate. Probably could have used a second checkpoint somewhere.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

DalaranJ posted:

I updated the code for "The Bridge is Out".

Can you also update Boos in the Belfry to DF3-LVL-DMG? Thank you! :)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

J-Spot posted:

I tried both of your levels. This one is definitely nice and should land in the normal difficulty range. The first one was decent and didn't take me too many attempts to clear so I brought your clear rate up a tiny bit. It has some tricky bits and a few moments where I thought you could ease up on the difficulty a bit and some annoying things like the feather that runs away from you in night mode. It's also plays a little slow which I didn't mind too much but the general player base seems to hate. Probably could have used a second checkpoint somewhere.
Thanks for the comments! I had similar feedback about the first map from others, so I'll keep that in mind. In particular, I realized that not everyone holds the dash button at all times so I tried to make sure the second one could be completed with walking only.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Here's my Blitz level:

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1155199894748950528

I'm added a little extra in my twitter thread.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Can you also update Boos in the Belfry to DF3-LVL-DMG? Thank you! :)

Updated in both sheets.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 27, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Did my blitz level in about twenty minutes. It's one super quick trick that I'd implement in a larger stage or make into a longer run but it's fine for a quick one:

Star Sprint
45H-RCM-BFG

I'm going to play any remaining jam levels and blitz levels later tonight

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I took down the Killer Cabin, watching a friend play it and noticed a disgustingly easy soft lock and the first room is just flat out broken so going to remodel it entirely with something different before I reupload it.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Done with the Blitz level. Lost track of time because my dad called me away to go help him and then my Jam level hit the Popular list. But I think it was less than an hour.

Title: In the Hall of Dry Bones
Code: 0F4-KN3-BFG
Description: Enter Dry Bones' lair and overthrow their king once and for all.
Difficulty: Normal

Edit: Derp, I used a checkpoint. I guess I'm disqualified. Chalk it up to my dad distracting me with his problem, because I think the level needs it. Sorry. I guess it's up to DalaranJ what to do about that.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 28, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The Lobster posted:

Edit: Derp, I used a checkpoint. I guess I'm disqualified. Chalk it up to my dad distracting me with his problem, because I think the level needs it. Sorry. I guess it's up to DalaranJ what to do about that.

Checkpoints should be excluded from the restrictions imho.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

You're a loose cannon, The Lobster, one more screw up and I'll have your badge.
(I don't really care.)

J-Spot posted:

Checkpoints should be excluded from the restrictions imho.

Including them in the normal items is intentional.
I do a bonus roll for the 12th item which contains only:
Ground
Question Block
Checkpoint Flag

I'll consider it though.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Another vote for checkpoints being excepted here. They're integral to level design in a way no other single block is. Even ground is less limiting.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Viva la checkpoints! Viva la revolución!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Also thank you DalaranJ for pushing current info to the top of the OP. I asked for it a couple weeks ago and forgot, it's really nice for when I'm stuck on mobile with my switch. :)

Maxxim
Mar 10, 2007

You're overcome by an indescribably odd sensation...!

Internet Kraken posted:

Season of Flooding: LDY-VYB-CWG

Made a level to mess around with rising water levels. Pretty straightforward traditional level. Nothing amazing but I had fun with it, and I finally got to use bloopers in a level which made me happy. They have unique AI in 3D world that is pretty cool!
Did this one, then the rest of your list. Wrote down whatever thoughts I had after finishing each level

Season of flooding
Solid use of decorations, but felt there were too many enemies to deal with / the enemy patterns were too complex. The cheep cheeps towards the end were mostly jumping ones, but they totally could have been regular ones. What you did in this level is very conceptually similar to Mondo, the SMW special world level. Compared, your enemy density is much higher.

March of the ant hill
Solid concept, the design of the hill was pretty neat. Felt a little overwhelmed with the number of ants though, every pipe didn’t really need to spawn them. It didn’t make the level particularly difficult, just kind of crowded.

Skewering sand dunes
Seemed a bit punishing if you don’t go super fast. Most of the wrigglers and enemies on the ground seemed to artificially increase the difficulty possibly a bit too much. Designed very well!

Rusting Rotted shroomworks
Not a fan of the silence effect the whole way through. Tried to play through some of the parts quickly and it got pretty crazy quite fast. I think you could’ve halved the density of the shrooms and still had a similar experience. Personally not a fan of the claw sections towards the end, but I just don’t seem to find the claw that fun.

Carnival of calamity
Holy enemies! There was way too much going on in this level. As a kind of general rule of thumb, I’ve found I can really only concentrate on two obstacles at a time. That’s generally platforming + one enemy. The lava dude, homing bullet bills, regular enemies, and conveyor belts was just too much.

Keys of the Lilliput river
I liked the design, the fishing dudes were cute. Felt like an unnecessary amount of enemies.

Race: alpine pipeline
Really liked the multiple levels of “track”, seems like it would work pretty well. I’m sounding like a broken record at this point, but I felt there were too many enemies. Specifically, could’ve done with fewer fire bros and I don’t feel there was a need for spike topped ants.

Plunder the lost kingdom
Really great use of the bullet bill to drill. I was originally wondering why you didn’t just use a thwomp instead but the challenge was unique and cool. I feel you could’ve removed all of the boo launchers without losing any entertainment.

Hellfire honeycombs
I loved the honeycomb theme! Flowed well, and you did a good job putting the useful items in the regular bricks while keeping the ? Blocks bee filled.

Piranha pipe pier
I feel like I missed a lot of bonus areas since I ran past three locked doors. It got a bit crowded in the fireball piranha room right after the final checkpoint, but otherwise was solid.

Prickly plantation
Liked the themeing, the locked doors that go nowhere are weird when you have a key earlier in the level. Could’ve done without the spinies shooting spikes, they were enough just walking around.

Overall: I assume it's fairly clear from my comments, but I generally quite liked your level layouts and especially the way you decorated/themed them, but felt your levels were filled with too many enemies. Generally I expect the main obstacle in Mario stages to be the platforming, with the enemies as a secondary concern. In most of your levels, the enemies were the primary obstacle, and the platforming was secondary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Maxxim posted:

Overall: I assume it's fairly clear from my comments, but I generally quite liked your level layouts and especially the way you decorated/themed them, but felt your levels were filled with too many enemies. Generally I expect the main obstacle in Mario stages to be the platforming, with the enemies as a secondary concern. In most of your levels, the enemies were the primary obstacle, and the platforming was secondary.

I mean, that's the point most of the time. Enemies are part of platforming in Mario. Most of the time I use more enemies but its because I opt out of putting a bunch of death pits in my levels. I know I have a tendency to overuse them in some parts but I prefer levels structured like that since they offer a lot more leeway compared to "oh you screwed up one jump and now you're dead".Also a lot of Mario Maker levels don't really use enemies in interesting ways relative to how many different things you can do with em in this game.

Fair enough if you don't like that though. Thanks for taking the time to play so many of my levels and give feedback. I do appreciate it. And yeah I could learn from the message "less is more" but I am an excessive person :saddowns:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 27, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Colonel Whitey posted:

I made my second level, it’s fairly basic (I think!) and revolves around hopping on cannonballs, which I find super fun. I’m still learning how to make levels but I think this one’s better than my first one. Hoping my clear rate will be better anyway.

Cannon Fodder
L0W-N1N-SHF

Great level, as a matter of fact I find hopping on cannonballs super fun too :kimchi:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Played endless normal today and the levels were actually enjoyable to play... WTF

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

My first level in a while, including my first attempt at a boss fight. Difficulty starts out fairly easy and ramps up a bit after the checkpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Played endless normal today and the levels were actually enjoyable to play... WTF

I tried some endless hard a little while ago and got like 4 very nice levels in a row.

Then there was a level with a super hammer where you had to hammer 90+ peepas that spent most of their time in the ground. No real time limit pressure or dangerous obstacles or shortage of powerups, just several minutes of waiting for peepas to circle around so you can bop em. Also it had naked pipes.