Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Ever feel like you have officially overworked a project?

Here is my Arnold render:

Here is my Keyshot render:

Which one is better?

Earlier versions can be found here.

In case you were wondering what was different. I modeled the polaroids and table in 3d and lit the scene in 3d. Also added the date stamp for the band name "Small Sins".

Also the moon and font is different from the last version. That last part I am still unsure about since I like both the moons / fonts from the earlier versions.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'd say the second one is better, but in both you've got sharpness & detail inconsistencies - a mix of blurry and sharp that doesnt quite gel. subtle things like that are pretty important in making something feel cohesive.

I have been mentioning a personal project for a while in this thread. it's nearly done - i'm working on the titles now.
I need to revise this but it's 90% there - black tendrils shoot in from off screen, slam into something, and shoot a little goop out. while they retreat and head back off screen, the goop boils and grows into the text making up the titles.
I need to make sure that when the tendrils retreat they collide with the text so that there are no intersections, them drifting through each other and the text makes the effect look super muddy right now.
I loving love tyflow. it's the best thing to happen to max in so long.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah it says rear end. :kiddo: Looks great!

sigma 6 posted:

Which one is better?

I like the first. The second looks like you've got the levels chopped off at the top so the whole thing looks dim.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

sigma 6 posted:

Which one is better?

Earlier versions can be found here.

In case you were wondering what was different. I modeled the polaroids and table in 3d and lit the scene in 3d. Also added the date stamp for the band name "Small Sins".

Also the moon and font is different from the last version. That last part I am still unsure about since I like both the moons / fonts from the earlier versions.

The color and brightness on the first one is much better, but you still have odd color inconsistencies. The white border of the photo is a natural tinted white based on the lighting, but the text is a pure blinding white that seems unaffected by the environment despite looking like it's supposed to be part of the photo.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

I'd say the second one is better, but in both you've got sharpness & detail inconsistencies - a mix of blurry and sharp that doesnt quite gel. subtle things like that are pretty important in making something feel cohesive.

I have been mentioning a personal project for a while in this thread. it's nearly done - i'm working on the titles now.
I need to revise this but it's 90% there - black tendrils shoot in from off screen, slam into something, and shoot a little goop out. while they retreat and head back off screen, the goop boils and grows into the text making up the titles.
I need to make sure that when the tendrils retreat they collide with the text so that there are no intersections, them drifting through each other and the text makes the effect look super muddy right now.
I loving love tyflow. it's the best thing to happen to max in so long.

The sketchy outlines on the black tendrils look great

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

My Blender animation is finally finished! I made it in my free time and didn't give myself a deadline, so it took way longer than I thought it would (shocking, I know) but it's on YouTube now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bm15xuPjLM

It's extremely short, but when each frame takes 20 minutes to render it all starts to add up. The fluid simulation alone took 40 hours of computation.

Spoilers for a 30 second long animation:

I set out to do everything myself, and now I can say I have a whole new level of appreciation for anyone who is able to complete a short film, let alone a whole animated feature. I can see why there are so many names in the ending credits. Character design, storyboards, character modeling, retopology, rigging, background modeling, textures & materials, lighting, camera animation, special effects, rendering optimization, compositing, color correction, sound effects, music, voice acting, marketing...did I mention character animation?

Anyway, it's finally finished, hopefully I actually succeeded in making appealing characters. Now I can move on to the next one. :)

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone have some experience baking normal maps in Blender?

I am having a hell of a time getting some high poly cylinders baking on low poly stuff.

I have the issue described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnuK6xyi-qY

But I have no clue how to fix it in Blender, I tried baking using a cage but I keep having the issue with the corners having a strip because of missing geo.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Komojo posted:

My Blender animation is finally finished! I made it in my free time and didn't give myself a deadline, so it took way longer than I thought it would (shocking, I know) but it's on YouTube now:

It's extremely short, but when each frame takes 20 minutes to render it all starts to add up. The fluid simulation alone took 40 hours of computation.

I set out to do everything myself, and now I can say I have a whole new level of appreciation for anyone who is able to complete a short film, let alone a whole animated feature. I can see why there are so many names in the ending credits. Character design, storyboards, character modeling, retopology, rigging, background modeling, textures & materials, lighting, camera animation, special effects, rendering optimization, compositing, color correction, sound effects, music, voice acting, marketing...did I mention character animation?

Anyway, it's finally finished, hopefully I actually succeeded in making appealing characters. Now I can move on to the next one. :)

Kudos on seeing it through to the end man, that is a lot of work. I liked the animation too. :)

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Kudos on seeing it through to the end man, that is a lot of work. I liked the animation too. :)

Yeah congrats on deciding to start a project and seeing it through to completion. It's not easy. I have a few ideas for shorts I will probably never make just because the technical limitations keep me down, I never really grasped combining soft and hard bodies in character rigs (like a squishy body with a glass helmet) and I just gave up entirely.

Now BACK IT UP. It's nice to have well preserved examples of your early work to compare to in a year+

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 15, 2019

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah I am in the final stretch of mine. first personal thing i've done which wasn't able to be finished in one or two sessions - learnt more about myself, organisation and discipline than anything related to software or tools during it, it's been a great experience.

Did you lock the scope right from the start, or allow yourself to adapt once work began? I feel the happy middle ground of that is the hardest thing to balance when there's no client.

bringbackoldgbs - if you use max, get tyflow. combining soft/hard/fluids in max before was outright impossible/not worth it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Komojo posted:

Congratulations on finishing your project I think you've identified just how much work each of the tasks involved in doing something like that yourself is. If improving at character animation is something you are wanting to do I'd suggest for your next thing to ignore every task other than animation. To improve you want to work with a rig that you can get feedback with as fast as possible so anything you can't see in the view port in a playblast gets in the way of that goal. This will let you iterate way way faster and become stronger at the fundamentals. Its really easy to get distracted by all the other tasks if you are adding extras like simulation, lighting etc to the mix.

If you are only interested in making finished short film type things then ignore me but if you want to improve your animation skills faster cutting it back to the basics is the way to go imo.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

For real I love making terrain in world machine, but when it actually comes time to do the materials i usually use substance

Kanine fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 16, 2019

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Did you lock the scope right from the start, or allow yourself to adapt once work began? I feel the happy middle ground of that is the hardest thing to balance when there's no client.

I was basically playing it by ear. For a bigger project, I would imagine that you'd want to lock down the character designs and rigging as early as possible so nobody has to go back and re-animate anything halfway through, but I was changing things up until pretty late. In fact, if you look at my avatar you can see it has a slightly smaller chin than the final version.

It's definitely possible to keep circling around and improving parts of a 3D model forever, but one of the skills I had to learn was to be able to say "That's not perfect but it looks good enough, let's finish this and try to do better on the next one." I thought about adding some extra water droplet particles for the fish flopping around, or adding gravel to the inside of the fish bowl, but both of those ideas seemed like more trouble than they were worth.

mashed_penguin posted:

Congratulations on finishing your project I think you've identified just how much work each of the tasks involved in doing something like that yourself is. If improving at character animation is something you are wanting to do I'd suggest for your next thing to ignore every task other than animation. To improve you want to work with a rig that you can get feedback with as fast as possible so anything you can't see in the view port in a playblast gets in the way of that goal. This will let you iterate way way faster and become stronger at the fundamentals. Its really easy to get distracted by all the other tasks if you are adding extras like simulation, lighting etc to the mix.

If you are only interested in making finished short film type things then ignore me but if you want to improve your animation skills faster cutting it back to the basics is the way to go imo.

Yeah, this is good advice. Next time I'm going to avoid simulations and try to animate in the Eevee engine, which takes the render time down from 20 minutes to about 12 seconds. That would definitely help with the animation feedback.

bring back old gbs posted:

Now BACK IT UP. It's nice to have well preserved examples of your early work to compare to in a year+

This is also good advice. I think I'm doing OK in that regard so far...

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Komojo posted:

This is also good advice. I think I'm doing OK in that regard so far...

Those are all in the same folder, thus they aren't backups. Your data should be copied somewhere that's not in the same physical location (the cloud, a hard drive in a safety deposit box, a hard drive at your friend's house, whatever)

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

I recently started keeping a backup drive in my car, which is hopefully not going to get lost or destroyed at the same time as my computer.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’d work on those eyes a bit, try to make them more feline so you can avoid an uncanny valley effect

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
anyone messed with deepfake stuff? Wanted to get some benchmarks for time since average seems to be around a week

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is there any reason to texture terrain in world machine vs just exporting it into SD with some masks to help?

Apr 7, 2019

playing with exporting particle simulations from houdini to the web browser

https://i.imgur.com/eHendsQ.gifv

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
I just graduated with an AAS in Animation and Game Art Design, and my program primarily focused on a workflow through Maya though I'm starting to learn Max on my own because I'd like to get into architectural visualization. Here's my first demo reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hipBy352AIY

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Nice work!
If you're soliciting advice, based on where you currently are and where you want to be, I think you would do well to spend some time focused on some lighting exercises - It's easy to want to do more ambitious projects with a ton of assets, but I believe you'd get a lot from a series of quick studies of architectural volumes. Do a google search for 'minimal architecture' or poo poo like that, start collecting references.
Anything by john pawson would be good - his work is photographed well too. https://www.desiretoinspire.net/2013/08/28/john-pawson/
Or - https://www.dezeen.com/tag/minimalist-architecture/ (this might be better as often the buildings showcased include floorplans and elevations to make modeling easier)

The idea would be to pick something with incredibly simple geometry and consistent materials so that you can focus on replicating the softness of the light & gentle shifts with a handful of lights. You don't need furniture, it's just about studying pure architectural forms and how light falls across and through them. Added benifit of being quick to produce too - you can work on a few variations within the same basic scenes, and if you work on one that you're super happy with you can begin to introduce furniture/dressing to make it a portfolio piece.
In an entry level arch viz portfolio studios will be looking for a solid control over light and ability to use it to explain architecture. You don't have to master it, but showing development and growth in that area is key.

In order news, i'm finally wrapping up my personal project. Before I started I broke it down into 14 manageable chunks of work, so while it's still rendering i'm posting the results of each chunk every day to Instagram. First one went up today... and it is unfortunately something I already posted in the thread when I first started. https://www.instagram.com/neilgrfis/

Probably some people that don't use Instagram so i'll post again in 2 weeks when it's on vimeo.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 27, 2019

T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?

cubicle gangster posted:

Nice work!
If you're soliciting advice, based on where you currently are and where you want to be, I think you would do well to spend some time focused on some lighting exercises - It's easy to want to do more ambitious projects with a ton of assets, but I believe you'd get a lot from a series of quick studies of architectural volumes. Do a google search for 'minimal architecture' or poo poo like that, start collecting references.
Anything by john pawson would be good - his work is photographed well too. https://www.desiretoinspire.net/2013/08/28/john-pawson/
Or - https://www.dezeen.com/tag/minimalist-architecture/ (this might be better as often the buildings showcased include floorplans and elevations to make modeling easier)

Thanks! Especially for the John Pawson link, his style is perfect to use as reference while I get used to modeling in Max. The textures and normal map on your chair looks great btw, what do you render with? I use V-Ray myself. Good stuff!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That chair looks very nice. One suggestion I'd make is to add some scrape marks that expose the bare metal in the areas where the moving parts would slide against one another -- just a little bit peeking out behind the side plates in the riveted areas and such. The paint almost immediately chips off in those areas in real life.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It would be a good detail to add, it did cross my mind but it wont be visible at all in the final piece. These detail renders of the assets for the animation are just for fun - most details I added already wont be visible in the final piece.
That's all triplaner mapping and procedural dirt/curvature too, there are no UV's and setting it up to paint on that kind of detail would be 3-4 hours of work. There are no custom / unwrapped uv's anywhere in this project - very intentionally avoiding that so that I can actually finish it. Feels too much like work, coming home to lay out uv's already killed one personal project for me a couple years back.
Edit: i'm really sorry for responding with a 'yeah, but no...' kind of response to a valid suggestion. I hate it when people do that :/

T3hRen3gade - all vray. Quite a few vray regulars in the thread. Looking forward to seeing how you get on!
edit: watch this - https://vimeo.com/10941211
Dont try to follow it like a step by step tutorial, it's not designed for that. watch it start to finish and let it wash over you. watch it again in 6 months once you feel like you know where the buttons are in max.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 29, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg4-4XXZiLY

have you considered using minecraft as your archviz engine?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I’ve been using Blender on and off for a while, I think it’s good to focus on one element to develop with each project you do – learning about particle systems or rigging or sculpting, and so on.
There seemed no real path as to what order to learn things or any sort of singular bit of information that mattered more than any other, it’s just process based. I think being able to;
- Grab, rotate and scale a face/edge/point
- Know how to place edge loops, move them around, increase in number (mousewheel)
- Experiment with each of the modifiers and see what they do (particularly subdivision and decimate)
- Play with different render settings, learn what’s good for the engine you use (same with the camera in terms of Depth of Field, focal length etc.)
- Experiment with animation via changing a keyframe on the timeline at the bottom, moving an object round, pressing ‘i’ and picking LotRotScale. You can press I on a lot of the UI and it adds a keyframe, so you can do stuff like change brightness of lights, change textures, increase shapekeys, all sorts
- Try different hair modifiers. There’s a particle edit tool where you can comb and cut hair, grow it out and so on. You can also select ‘Children’ from the menu and it will add hundreds more strands to the model (good for grass and that)
- Another good thing to do via that is particle settings, but setting the particles up as models. You can do crowds, cities, forests, all with just a handful of models.
https://youtu.be/pvFEtQBvlPU
- Sculpting can be really good and useful for a few tweaks, but if you want to go nutzoid on it turn 'Dynamic Topology' on (Dynotopo maybe?)
- The camera can get crazy if you have a big scene with lots of bits in it, but you can change the focal length of the camera in the menu bit (maybe press m or n? on the right at the top of the 3d window)
- Texturing and shaders and all that is a whole other thing. But knowing what different shaders do, being able to map coordinates, mixing shaders, noise shader, all that sort of jazz is useful
- Um, shortcut keys? Also pressing F3 and typing what you want to do is quick

I think being able to make a house, a car, a building/interior using a reference photo, a human head and a landscape are all fun things to have a go at.

Looking at a bit of the history of 3D animation is good, especially as you see different rendering techniques or advances in other areas.
https://youtu.be/ffIZSAZRzDA
https://youtu.be/9IYRC7g2ICg

If you’re interested in animation at all, get ‘The Animators Survival Kit’ by Richard Williams. This is an excellent book, it gives a great overview of the principles of animation. Lots of pictures, timings, walks, all sorts. The 12 principles of animation is good to know (even just to watch other animation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqjIdI4bF4

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
So apparently substance painter will have UDIM support very soon which seems like it could be a blow against mari?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanine posted:

So apparently substance painter will have UDIM support very soon which seems like it could be a blow against mari?

A blow against Mari by implementing a feature that Mari has had since the start?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

EoinCannon posted:

A blow against Mari by implementing a feature that Mari has had since the start?

idk what i meant was just i keep seeing comments by people being like "this makes me want to switch over to substance now from mari"

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanine posted:

idk what i meant was just i keep seeing comments by people being like "this makes me want to switch over to substance now from mari"

Oh yeah I guess they have more comparable feature sets now. Hopefully this makes them both try and innovate more but I've been wrong about that in the past.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm still extremely worried since the Adobe buyout about what direction Substance is going to take. :|

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
anybody else get really annoyed when people who havent spent a single minute trying to develop a game lecture actual devs about this or that feature that "would be easy to implement you're just lazy"

idk if im just imagining it but it feels like more and more as time goes on the divide between game developers and ~gamers~ seems to get bigger and bigger? like just yesterday one of the level designers for the new wolfenstein game had to lock down his twitter account because of the amount of death threats he was getting

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Kanine posted:

anybody else get really annoyed when people who havent spent a single minute trying to develop a game lecture actual devs about this or that feature that "would be easy to implement you're just lazy"

idk if im just imagining it but it feels like more and more as time goes on the divide between game developers and ~gamers~ seems to get bigger and bigger? like just yesterday one of the level designers for the new wolfenstein game had to lock down his twitter account because of the amount of death threats he was getting

People that self identify as Gamers seem to be toxic horrible people more often than not. Social media gives them a megaphone. I'm personally glad that nobody gives a poo poo about film vfx nerds enough to send death threats :unsmith:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mashed_penguin posted:

People that self identify as Gamers seem to be toxic horrible people more often than not. Social media gives them a megaphone. I'm personally glad that nobody gives a poo poo about film vfx nerds enough to send death threats :unsmith:

I've got some bad news for you: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

Not quite film vfx, but close enough.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kanine posted:

When I was in AAA the difference between the number of vocal annoying voices versus the size of the entire customer/player base was incredibly huge, and I imagine that continues to be the case. I think the toxic dorks have perhaps grown in number and vitriol but have shrunk in percentage of overall playerbase.

They're loud and obnoxious at best, and I encourage every individual in the industries to sit down and set up their own personal social media policy, which should include who to block, when, why, and when to go private, etc. They're not going away, but I think it's counter to reality and one's emotional well being to believe that they are anything close to a majority.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

mutata posted:

When I was in AAA the difference between the number of vocal annoying voices versus the size of the entire customer/player base was incredibly huge, and I imagine that continues to be the case. I think the toxic dorks have perhaps grown in number and vitriol but have shrunk in percentage of overall playerbase.

They're loud and obnoxious at best, and I encourage every individual in the industries to sit down and set up their own personal social media policy, which should include who to block, when, why, and when to go private, etc. They're not going away, but I think it's counter to reality and one's emotional well being to believe that they are anything close to a majority.

Something the industry seems to need more than anything in this space is studio bosses and execs that side with their employees over their "fans". There have been several cases in the last year or so where people working at gaming companies got involved in some mild social media fight with "fans" and got totally hung out to dry by their employers. Behavior which further emboldens the toxic shitheaps in those communities.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Very true! That's part of why I suggest everyone have their own personal social media policy because chances are no one is going to have your back, unfortunately.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

ass cobra fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 15, 2019

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

ass cobra fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Just wanted to drop in to say that we (Wayfair.com) are pretty much always hiring full-time, on-site, 3D artists to create rendered 3D imagery. We use Max and Vray, and provide training to help folks that don't know those tools get up to speed on it.

The company itself is actually a tech company that just happens to sell furniture; the majority of our 10,000+ employees are software engineers. The co-founders are great people that have always built their company as a place where employees are happy to work. I've been here for over three years now, and I can 100% confirm that it is true, and that it is a great place to work.

The pay is competitive, in addition to annual bonuses, equity, and relocation assistance to those that aren't already local. The offices are also quite nice with a good view in downtown Boston. We also have quarterly company outings, monthly team events such as escape rooms, kayaking, and trips to local museums.

We're looking for anyone from junior to senior level, so if you're at all interested feel free to PM me with any questions you may have. Here's one of our current open job recs for reference:
https://www.wayfair.com/careers/job/-d-artist-/4335054002

We don't actually expect most applications to have "mastery" in the areas listed, and we're perfectly happy to train up people that show good fundamentals and a willingness to learn.