Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Crystal size matters :colbert:

Mortons is vastly saltier per tablespoon than Diamond Crystal. A tablespoon of Mortons is 14g, a tablespoon of Diamond Crystal is 9g.

This is why volumetric recipes blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it's also fine to use regular iodized table salt 99% of the time, which is much more volumetrically consistent for recipe purposes, but recipe authors won't use the poor people salt because pRoFeSsIoNaLs UsE kOsHeR sAlT

e: i obviously don't mean as a substitution for an equal volume of kosher salt, I meant it's fine for recipe authors to use table salt because salt is salt and table salt is much more volumetrically consistent

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 27, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Yeah, recipes online should be using weights since it's just way more consistent. It isn't that Morton's's bad, it's that if you use a certain volume of Morton's kosher salt when a recipe says to, and that recipe was created using a certain volume of Diamond Crystal kosher salt then you're gonna be in a bad spot.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it's also fine to use regular iodized table salt 99% of the time, which is much more volumetrically consistent, but pRoFeSsIoNaLs UsE kOsHeR sAlT

and if you use a certain volume of table salt you're gonna be in a really bad spot

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

OMGVBFLOL posted:

it's also fine to use regular iodized table salt 99% of the time, which is much more volumetrically consistent for recipe purposes, but recipe authors won't use the poor people salt because pRoFeSsIoNaLs UsE kOsHeR sAlT

e: i obviously don't mean as a substitution for an equal volume of kosher salt, I meant it's fine for recipe authors to use table salt because salt is salt and table salt is much more volumetrically consistent

that stuff tastes like poo poo though

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
GWS General Chat: Getting salty in here

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Morton kosher salt is trash. Diamond Crystal Crew.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
i only use himalayan pink salt because it deionizes and purifies my food

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Honestly anyone having a hard time with a recipe due to the brand of salt is probably a beginner. Salt is salt, taste your food as you go along you goofs. (I think that's why it's so weird that dino of all people had such a weird opinion?) At least when it comes to something like kosher salt. It's not a finishing salt you nerds. "hmmm, I think I used Morton's, this is way too crunchy" smdh.

I finally tried maldon salt flakes for some sea salt caramel cookies and they're amazing by the way. I can't really figure out where else I'd want a big rear end salt crystal though. Any ideas?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Croatoan posted:

I can't really figure out where else I'd want a big rear end salt crystal though. Any ideas?

sprankled on top of some homemade dinner rolls

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Croatoan posted:

Honestly anyone having a hard time with a recipe due to the brand of salt is probably a beginner. Salt is salt, taste your food as you go along you goofs. (I think that's why it's so weird that dino of all people had such a weird opinion?) At least when it comes to something like kosher salt. It's not a finishing salt you nerds. "hmmm, I think I used Morton's, this is way too crunchy" smdh.

I finally tried maldon salt flakes for some sea salt caramel cookies and they're amazing by the way. I can't really figure out where else I'd want a big rear end salt crystal though. Any ideas?

Nope. And that’s why I have a bag of big rear end crystals sitting in my drawer two years later.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
finishing salt goes in salads, on whole cuts of meat, fruits and baked goods

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Croatoan posted:

I'm by no means a beginner in the kitchen and I have a preference because it's easier to pinch, sprinkle and distribute diamond crystal, and because you have more granularity in usage because the crystals are lighter. Also, iodized table salt tastes like poo poo.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

I can't really figure out where else I'd want a big rear end salt crystal though. Any ideas?

On steak, rolls, tomato toast, avocado toast

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Salt is the volume knob of flavor, so put more on anything you want to taste more of.

Crunchy is the most fun texture, so add crunch to anything you want to add textural interest to.

So, use giant flake finishing salt on everything.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

falksalt is better than maldon

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Look at this scrub that isn't a good enough of a cook to have an opinion about kosher salt brands.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i prefer the feel & size of diamond crystal when i'm seasoning by hand and it's also just, salt, full stop while morton's contains some percent of sodium ferrocyanide by weight (some sources say 1%, some 3%?) as an anti-caking agent

i've never had issues with salt caking, so why would i want it in there

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I literally can't find Diamond Crystal at any grocery store I've been to, and it's not like I live in some kind of wasteland. I mean, it's the DC area so everything is a nightmarish hellscape, but at least there are decent grocery stores.

Morton's is fine.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yall might want to see a doctor if your poo poo tastes like salt

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yall might want to see a doctor if your poo poo tastes like salt

you should probably eat more salt

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Corat, you and Mrs Corat are very dear friends, and I love you both very much. Watching your little guy and little girl grow up has been a privilege that none of us deserve, but have been blessed to be witness to. I love your family like my own. Your wife has been a beacon of light during some rather rough times.

But at the end of the day, you don’t know that I’m an old, opinionated old lady about stuff, you’ve never met me. I wouldn’t talk to my sister for a week when I found out that she uses goddamned ground spices in her masala dabba. My mum bought a pressure cooker, and I felt so betrayed that it took me a good month before I stopped side eyeing her. And then got one of my own. Now I have 3.

I’ve never claimed to be rational. I like food. Rico can confirm that I have some weird rear end rituals, like rubbing a cut onion on a dosa pan. Or putting the little Ganesha pyramid into the hot fat before making fried stuff. Meanwhile, my first pancake is never a dud, so I keep doing that which works.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

you ate my cat posted:

I literally can't find Diamond Crystal at any grocery store I've been to, and it's not like I live in some kind of wasteland. I mean, it's the DC area so everything is a nightmarish hellscape, but at least there are decent grocery stores.

Morton's is fine.

this is the downside w/ diamond crystal

in a restaurant they go through salt at a reasonable pace and sometimes actually may know how to store salt so they tend to buy diamond crystal but consumers will never do either so they need those anti-caking agents or peeps start complaining about caking. so it's real annoying to find in consumer land. penzey's has it

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

you should probably eat more salt

or less poo poo

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Diamond train choo choo. My supermarket stopped carrying it so I bought 5 lbs online and just refill from the stash periodically.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Hellsau posted:

or less poo poo

:wrong:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this is the downside w/ diamond crystal

in a restaurant they go through salt at a reasonable pace and sometimes actually may know how to store salt so they tend to buy diamond crystal but consumers will never do either so they need those anti-caking agents or peeps start complaining about caking. so it's real annoying to find in consumer land. penzey's has it
my local cash n carry sells it, and it's basically the same price as morton

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I get sea salt in bulk from the local hippy grocery store.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I use regular table salt, because we don’t iodize ours in the UK.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I use regular table salt, because we don’t iodize ours in the UK.

Yeah, all this kosher salt malarkey isn’t relevant here. Mallon is good stuff though. The crystals aren’t so thick that they can’t be crumbled nicely to finish dishes while retaining a nice crunch.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I use Morton's because it's like 30c cheaper and it's just loving salt. I could buy thirty pennies with the money I save!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Morton’s tastes bad because of the anti caking agent. All salt is fine and the same except for Morton’s which sucks.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I use Diamond Crystal because besides cooking a lot, I do a ton of pickling. Lacto ferments don't gain anything from anti-caking agents (and are actively harmed by iodine), and since I'm doing everything by weight the volume difference from Morton's doesn't matter. Also I have a Restaurant Depot card so buying six pounds of Diamond Crystal is easy and cheap as hell.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
But have you seen the 50 pound sacks at Costco? Now that's a steal!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

bartolimu posted:

I use Diamond Crystal because besides cooking a lot, I do a ton of pickling. Lacto ferments don't gain anything from anti-caking agents (and are actively harmed by iodine), and since I'm doing everything by weight the volume difference from Morton's doesn't matter. Also I have a Restaurant Depot card so buying six pounds of Diamond Crystal is easy and cheap as hell.

yeah, lacto stuff won't work, but even with vinegar pickles you still don't want iodine, though i can't recall why. i think it makes the brine cloudy. as for the taste, i don't notice the difference. i'm sure some people can, and i'm also sure some people's experience is colored by reverence for The Salt Real Chefs Use or whatever. to each their own

that reminds me, i want to start a new batch of sauerkraut

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

as for the taste, i don't notice the difference. i'm sure some people can,
Many people report being able to taste the difference but in actual experimental conditions nobody actually can.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Since this thread is actually getting posts and this salt argument is stupid, can anybody recommend me a good deli slicer for home use?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

Since this thread is actually getting posts and this salt argument is stupid, can anybody recommend me a good deli slicer for home use?

How much are you willing to spend, how big can it be, and what do you want to be able to use it for?

If you want to be able to slice prosciutto nice and thin, the answers to the first two questions better be "A lot" and "Pretty big". There are some sub $200 options that work great for slicing things like homemade bacon/pastrami/ham, but absolutely will not slice Hobart deli slicer thin. You gotta go $500+ for that.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

How much are you willing to spend, how big can it be, and what do you want to be able to use it for?

If you want to be able to slice prosciutto nice and thin, the answers to the first two questions better be "A lot" and "Pretty big". There are some sub $200 options that work great for slicing things like homemade bacon/pastrami/ham, but absolutely will not slice Hobart deli slicer thin. You gotta go $500+ for that.

We want to be able to slice cheeses and smoked meats like bacon, brisket/pastrami, chicken/turkey, and ham to a thickness of about 1/16 of an inch.

Right now I’m just doing research, so I don’t really have a price or size in mind, but maybe around $300 or less? My dad is the one who wants it and I’m not sure how much he’s willing to spend, but we’d prefer good over cheap.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

SubG posted:

Many people report being able to taste the difference but in actual experimental conditions nobody actually can.

culinary realism: my enjoyment of the food matters more than any experimental conditions or tests that have been done

I don't eat my food double-blind, and using better ingredients (which is to say ingredients that I deem to be better, for literally any reason) makes me enjoy it more, so I'm going to keep buying free range eggs and fancy salt

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

culinary realism: my enjoyment of the food matters more than any experimental conditions or tests that have been done

I don't eat my food double-blind, and using better ingredients (which is to say ingredients that I deem to be better, for literally any reason) makes me enjoy it more, so I'm going to keep buying free range eggs and fancy salt
Are you in the market for any audio cables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SubG posted:

Are you in the market for any audio cables?

I didn't know you were a Monster distributor.