Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Jesus Christ my OP must suck so bad for this to keep happening

Only lawyers read OP's and sometimes not even that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
If you want to expand personal knowledge in a marketable way, MBA seems like it’s the way to go.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Get a 2nd masters. You’re in DC, so maybe an MPA? Couldn’t hurt.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

TheMadMilkman posted:

Get a 2nd masters. You’re in DC, so maybe an MPA? Couldn’t hurt.

Another option was a D. Sc. in Cybersecurity from Marymount. They'll take my entire MS so I'd only need a few classes and then could work on my thesis. MPA isn't too interesting to me at this time. MBA duplicates a lot of my courses so not to interested in that either.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Terror Ninja posted:

Another option was a D. Sc. in Cybersecurity from Marymount. They'll take my entire MS so I'd only need a few classes and then could work on my thesis. MPA isn't too interesting to me at this time. MBA duplicates a lot of my courses so not to interested in that either.

That sounds way more interesting and cool, but the fact this is on the table and you're considering being a lawyer makes me think you might be cut out to be a lawyer

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Terror Ninja posted:

You don't get to call yourself "doctor" with a JD. And if you want the added title, you have to actually take the bar.

Go with the DSc and Marymount. You'll like it a lot more than law school.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Terror Ninja posted:

I have to use the rest of my gibill by 2021 or it expires, I'm also thinking of pilot training. The JD would mainly be for personal knowledge as I doubt my company would care one way or another even if it was from Harvard.

Law school just isn't that interesting and you're not going to get all that much personal knowledge about the law out of it. Year one of law school is huge lectures where you get quizzed every so often by the professor to ensure you actually did the reading, and a giant exam at the end, and the main point of the first year is to sort everyone in the class into a ranked list. Same really for second year. Third year you can take some interesting small classes. (I don't know how this gets broken up for part-time but I assume it's roughly similar).

Then once you have a JD, you can't even use it unless you pass a state bar, which involves a summer of cramming (because the bar is on actual law and law school is on theory and history, mostly) and then, if you pass, you have to pay and take courses every few years to keep it (and since you won't be working as a lawyer you won't have a firm picking up the tab for those courses).

I mean, if the federal government is picking up the tab and you think it'd be fun you're right, you lose nothing but some free time, but I think there's a lot of stuff that might be more interesting to do. I mean, I like being a lawyer and I would not go do law school for fun.

Terror Ninja posted:

the point of an MBA is to network with other people getting an MBA, i.e. getting an MBA is basically like joining one of those drinking leagues except the rankings matter very slightly more (but not by much), i would do that

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Don’t learn things, you are past the point in your career where knowing stuff matters. Spend the time learning some interesting skill/hobby so you’ll be a more interesting person and a more effective networker.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

You’re dating another lawyer?

Fool.

Lawyers deserve other lawyers, spare everyone else our misery.

Terror Ninja posted:

Let me get a quick sanity check from everyone. Would you go to a ok part time JD program (say George Mason University) if it wouldn't cost you much out of pocket?

Currently mid-30s in a job that's semi interesting with ok advancement prospects that pays 130k for a normal 9-5 schedule with good benefits.

While I like the idea of having a JD I'm not sure how it will directly help my current job or if I'd even enjoy being a practicing lawyer if I left it.

Chiming in with everyone else to say this is a dumb loving idea, you make more than most attorneys already. Go take a pottery class at the local college or something.

Naturally, you will ignore this. I predict you lose your job and end up doing doc review. Got a house to mortgage as well?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Terror Ninja posted:

What line of business are you in? Cyber security is helpful is most industries. A JD might help you in healthcare since you can be a risk manager or ethics and compliance officer and maybe parlay that in to C level positions. It would take you a long time to get back to 130k though and you’d be 40 starting out. Those type of jobs aren’t plentiful either.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Terror Ninja posted:

I have to use the rest of my gibill by 2021 or it expires, I'm also thinking of pilot training. The JD would mainly be for personal knowledge as I doubt my company would care one way or another even if it was from Harvard.

Just an FYI -- if your service ended after 1JAN13, your GI Bill benefits never expire. If you served before then, and it's burning a hole in your pocket, pick something interesting, at least. As others have said, the first year of law school is all bullshit that is boring and useless, the second year is only slightly better, and your third year is a "choose your own adventure" -- none of which will likely be on the bar. Then you'll have to study for and take the bar, which as a P/T law student sounds like a nightmare.

Almost any degree that doesn't end in "-studies" will probably be infinitely more useful than a JD.

Listen to everyone in this thread telling you its a bad idea, then go read the OP, then read our replies again. Having a JD isn't going to serve you at all given your current level of employment, and keeping your bar membership means passing, paying annually to maintain it, and taking CLEs and doing a lot of other poo poo you are NOT going to want to do.

If you have a wife or kids, you can also transfer your GI Bill benefits via a Fry Scholarship or the Yellow Ribbon Program -- if that's an option do that instead.

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

What line of business are you in? Cyber security is helpful is most industries. A JD might help you in healthcare since you can be a risk manager or ethics and compliance officer and maybe parlay that in to C level positions. It would take you a long time to get back to 130k though and you’d be 40 starting out. Those type of jobs aren’t plentiful either.

Government employee in homeland security. Got tenure and a permanent job so no real concerns about being laid off. I have thought of doing security audits, which actually has a lot of legal compliance issues that need to be considered. I already have my CISSP certification which is the gold standard in Infosec management.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Terror Ninja posted:

Government employee in homeland security. Got tenure and a permanent job so no real concerns about being laid off. I have thought of doing security audits, which actually has a lot of legal compliance issues that need to be considered. I already have my CISSP certification which is the gold standard in Infosec management.

There you go then. If you need to burn benefits, do the pilot training or learn a trade for side gigs. Either of those things is more useful, more fun, and more cost effective than law school.

OurIntrepidHero
Nov 5, 2011

He's just too fast!
I feel like the story of this thread is eternally repeating. I was told not to go to law school. I went to law school. Now I tell people not to go to law school.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

OurIntrepidHero posted:

I feel like the story of this thread is eternally repeating. I was told not to go to law school. I went to law school. Now I tell people not to go to law school.

:same:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Kind of feels like all these law school go-ers are all hiding something and desperately want to prevent others from getting in on their scam.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Throatwarbler posted:

Kind of feels like all these law school go-ers are all hiding something and desperately want to prevent others from getting in on their scam.

Must be some kind of global conspiracy

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I'm going to go against consensus here and tell you that law school might actually really work out for you. It's free, only taught at three very good and prestigious universities with lots of history and it's only a five year master's.

Yeah, you'll struggle a while to find work, but that's what a livable wage through social security is for!

Wait, you did say you were norwegian right?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Only the chosen.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

OurIntrepidHero posted:

... I mean, same.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nice piece of fish posted:

Are you by any chance (((norwegian)))?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hell yeah

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
How do y'all handle friends/family that come to you with legit legal problems that are within your area of expertise?

Had one a few years ago where against my better judgement I took up their case and it was just a shitstorm.

Now I'm in a similar situation with one of my best friends and I told them I'd rather not get involved and offered to refer them, but in this case it was easier because I could be 100% honest with them about my misgivings.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I was the first in my family/extended family to really go to college, and I'm probs the only lawyer they know, so I get a lot of questions. If I can answer something, I will (with the typical disclaimers). If they really need help beyond stuff like "how do I look up workers comp laws in my state" or "what should I do if my boss is being a dick to me," I'll refer them to a lawyer in their area. I'm not really comfortable in helping to litigate for anyone I might be personally involved with either. There really isn't a light at the end of that tunnel.

Feel free to disagree, but representing family/friends always either involves the awkward imposition of payment, the awkward reality of it not going their way and blaming you, the super high potential for resentment, and the extremely low potential for everything working out fine. Especially if you suddenly find yourself ensnared in a quagmire because they weren't really candid with you as their lawyer, since they view you as a friend/family member and not counsel.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 27, 2019

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Law school is valuable and good as the legal profession is honorable. Go to law school!

Post updates.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Kimsemus posted:

I was the first in my family/extended family to really go to college, and I'm probs the only lawyer they know, so I get a lot of questions. If I can answer something, I will (with the typical disclaimers). If they really need help beyond stuff like "how do I look up workers comp laws in my state" or "what should I do if my boss is being a dick to me," I'll refer them to a lawyer in their area. I'm not really comfortable in helping to litigate for anyone I might be personally involved with either. There really isn't a light at the end of that tunnel.

Feel free to disagree, but representing family/friends always either involves the awkward imposition of payment, the awkward reality of it not going their way and blaming you, the super high potential for resentment, and the extremely low potential for everything working out fine. Especially if you suddenly find yourself ensnared in a quagmire because they weren't really candid with you as their lawyer, since they view you as a friend/family member and not counsel.

I’m also the first in my family to graduate college/law school so I get many of the same questions. I’ve referred all of my family members to friends who practice in whatever area they need. The only thing I’ve done is call a DA on behalf of my nephew who got a DUI because I graduated law school with her.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

"Do what your PD tells you to do."

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

:thurman:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

How do y'all handle friends/family that come to you with legit legal problems that are within your area of expertise?

Had one a few years ago where against my better judgement I took up their case and it was just a shitstorm.

Now I'm in a similar situation with one of my best friends and I told them I'd rather not get involved and offered to refer them, but in this case it was easier because I could be 100% honest with them about my misgivings.

I am happy to give them enough discussion to help them get the right attorney (and to refer them to a good one once I know what that means for their situation). Beyond that, I just tell them I blanket refuse to take friends/family as clients. I’ve had them be pushy about “but I really want to give you the business” but sooner or later they give up.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I started getting this on the regular once people realized I work in family law. If it isn't family law I immediately point them to the local bar association instead. If it is family law I'll talk basics but then send them out on a referral to other resources. I refuse to get any more involved than that.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Double post because lol

The California bar exam essay topics leaked to law school deans so they sent out an email just now to all applicants listing the topics for the essay and PT.

What a clusterfuck.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
If it's a "simple" question or an answer I know off-hand, I'll give really brief advice. For example, my fiance's co-workers had a dispute with a landlord over damages or something, but my state limits how-much a lessee can contract into for liquidated damages. I gave them the statute and told them to cite it when they e-mailed their landlord. That's the most involved I've let myself get.

Otherwise the nice thing about being a prosecutor is that people are scared to talk to you about their legal problems because they think you'll rat them out.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Eminent Domain posted:

Double post because lol

The California bar exam essay topics leaked to law school deans so they sent out an email just now to all applicants listing the topics for the essay and PT.

What a clusterfuck.

Was just going to post this. Holy poo poo.

On the one hand, it would have been nice to know the topics when I took it.

But on the other hand, the curve is going to be brutal now that everyone has 48 hours to prepare.

Also, why send this on a Saturday night???

What a mess.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Thankfully I have almost no non-lawyer friends in states I'm admitted to and my father is a way better lawyer than me, so he gets all the family questions.
He's basically his brother's lawyer, though I think he does it for free, but my uncle's legal problems (he owns a small business with no employees and is more law abiding than is healthly) generally are solved with fancy letterhead.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I'm trying to figure out why they haven't put it up on their website and social media simultaneously. Lot of people are wondering if it was hacked.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tmm3k posted:

Was just going to post this. Holy poo poo.

On the one hand, it would have been nice to know the topics when I took it.

But on the other hand, the curve is going to be brutal now that everyone has 48 hours to prepare.

Also, why send this on a Saturday night???

What a mess.

At least it's equitable this way.

I'm still salty over this: https://www.wltx.com/article/news/scs-chief-justice-explains-why-court-changed-bar-exam-results/101-381582521

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Eminent Domain posted:

I'm trying to figure out why they haven't put it up on their website and social media simultaneously. Lot of people are wondering if it was hacked.

I think it is on their social media too. Either way, if it's real or if it's a hacker, what a big gently caress up just a few days before the exam.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Their Twitter is individually replying but no big tweet or anything.

Edit: they just put it up.

https://mobile.twitter.com/StateBarCA/status/1155352169987506176

Eminent Domain fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 28, 2019

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

tmm3k posted:

Ugh. This would be enough for me to postpone taking the exam. My strength as a lawyer is knowing just a tiny bit more than the next lawyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Roger_Mudd posted:

Ugh. This would be enough for me to postpone taking the exam. My strength as a lawyer is knowing just a tiny bit more than the next lawyer.

The MBE and the California Performance Test aren't going to change and that's 2/3 of your score anyway.