Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Eschenique posted:

The biggest problem is finding a name for said military force that doesn't sound like a white supremacist gendarmerie.

Scandinavian Workers' and Peasants' Red Army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nice piece of fish posted:

gently caress NATO. We need a Nordic Defence Alliance that is a complete replacement, using our own military tech and manufacture, our own infrastructure and ewar tech, with a ban on foreign operations and weapons trade outside the alliance.

Why would you do that when you could burn money on the F-35, a plane so bad even its simulators catch fire?

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
For what little it's worth I'd rather we waste money on F-35's than any functional aircraft considering what they're going to be used for.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Aw man it was 3 people? I remember that number but thought only the one guy died.

Yeah terrorist works for me.

These comments about where immigrants get mundane information in Sweden intrigue me. My girlfriend is from Croatia (2 years from citizenship), I think I’m gonna ask her about it.

Also Swedish weaponry stopped being cool when it no longer needed to shoot down nazi airplanes.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 27, 2019

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

When I was in Hemvärnet in like 1999 we had some old rear end Russian APCs with leather helmets and throat mics. They said they were so basic so in case of a nuclear attack the EMP didn't affect them. Also while they had rubber tires it would take quite a number of bullets to cause a flat and even then it wasn't a very big deal.

What's even the English word for Hemvärnet?

National guard is not the right word. It should be an English version of Insattsförband.

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 27, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

home guard, i think

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Militia.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Dad's Army

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
I visited the GBS "Free Rocky" thread and all I got was this red text :feelsgood:

E: it's 100% cancer. Go there to troll, otherwise stay away.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 27, 2019

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Amerikanere projektere altid for sindsygt haha. Fordi deres eget retssystem er latterligt.

Selvom vores retssystem også kan være lidt latterligt. Lidt for milde domme for vold og sådan, self. ikke lige tilfældet med AsAP sagen.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Eschenique posted:

When I was in Hemvärnet in like 1999 we had some old rear end Russian APCs with leather helmets and throat mics. They said they were so basic so in case of a nuclear attack the EMP didn't affect them. Also while they had rubber tires it would take quite a number of bullets to cause a flat and even then it wasn't a very big deal.

BMP-1
30 år gamla vid inköp, kan skjutas rakt igenom med gevär

On another note: i am enormously angry about the state of swedish health care. Hospital i work on goes to poo poo every summer, like clockwork.
We have too few "beds" for patients (we close departments due to lack of labor), the patients are getting sicker due to the doctors needing to take in the worst cases first and people are unhappy.

I want someone to point me to the responsible one so i can douse that man/woman in industrial paint

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

I always wondered why we couldn't just raise the income tax in Sweden and use it to fix the healthcare system.

How much more money would 1% more bring in? Anyone who has been to a vårdcentral in the last 10 years would probably be okay with it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Eschenique posted:

I always wondered why we couldn't just raise the income tax in Sweden and use it to fix the healthcare system.

How much more money would 1% more bring in? Anyone who has been to a vårdcentral in the last 10 years would probably be okay with it.

1% more tax on GDP would redirect around 50 billion SEK/year. And that's before knock-on effects in the economy from the government redirecting private savings to public spending (and thus more private and public consumption) which would increase GDP (and thus nominal tax income) further. In the year 2000 tax on GDP was more than 5% higher than today.

To put things in perspective, the underfinancing (labelled 'effektiviseringar' and other creative euphemisms in the budgets) of the entire municipal/regional public sector last year was about 80 billion. Incidentally, this was also the surplus savings of the state government.

80 billion is enough to hire about 180 000 nurses or 160 000 teachers.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 28, 2019

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I think the main problem is people not understanding what the Landsting does. And not voting V of course...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

We're all regioner now.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

MiddleOne posted:

1% more tax on GDP would redirect around 50 billion SEK/year. And that's before knock-on effects in the economy from the government redirecting private savings to public spending (and thus more private and public consumption) which would increase GDP (and thus nominal tax income) further. In the year 2000 tax on GDP was more than 5% higher than today.

To put things in perspective, the underfinancing (labelled 'effektiviseringar' and other creative euphemisms in the budgets) of the entire municipal/regional public sector last year was about 80 billion. Incidentally, this was also the surplus savings of the state government.

Sounds good to me. Ship it!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Actually don't hike taxes because Magdalena Andersson would just further increase the surplus and be proud of it.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Since people have been accusing me of being a Ligur rereg in GBS a lot I figured I'd post here just to mix it up. I suggest the name Cyber Hansa 3000 for the new nordic coalition.

Dwarf Named Magnus
Jul 27, 2019
Alliansen för Folk Som Äter Illaluktande Fisk

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Nurge posted:

Since people have been accusing me of being a Ligur rereg in GBS a lot I figured I'd post here just to mix it up. I suggest the name Cyber Hansa 3000 for the new nordic coalition.
The Hansa is the reason the Nordic Countries aren't united today, so I guess you're going for ironic naming?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Hansa is the reason the Nordic Countries aren't united today, so I guess you're going for ironic naming?

Not to mention that most member cities weren't even in the nordics.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Eschenique posted:

The biggest problem is finding a name for said military force that doesn't sound like a white supremacist gendarmerie.

Trans Rights Defence Force

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
No need raise taxes just need to make the rich not dodge taxes. Collect that poo poo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Most of Sweden's tax dodging problems can be summed up with two letters:

1. E
2. U

So not that simple a task. A lot more could be done than what is done today but it's not like the US where you could literally pool billions into the IRS and still go revenue positive because the system is just that broken.

Sweden's bigger problems is that there are two tax systems right now.

A: The tax system for the rich and consultant class
B: The tax system for everyone else

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

Trans Rights Defence Force

Gay space communism Utopia?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

One thing I find interesting is how the current coalition is not running any form of Keynesian economics by borrowing money to spend on infrastructure and similar things.
As far as I understand it, compared to other EU countries the Swedish national debt is low and there would be plenty of room for borrowing at low rates.
And it is needed for sure, especially given the increase in population during the last 20 years and the constant underfinancing as you say.

My pet theory is that lending for infrastructure would increase inflation and thus interest rates and then the whole housing market will collapse and no party wants to be blamed for that. (Since apparently no one in Stockholm is paying off their mortgage)
On the other hand, Riksbanken having negative rates is probably not healthy either.
The autumn will be interesting, since already now Sandviken and LKAB are declaring predicted lower income and the vehicule industry is not exactly looking great for the near future.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

MiddleOne posted:

Most of Sweden's tax dodging problems can be summed up with two letters:

1. E
2. U

So not that simple a task. A lot more could be done than what is done today but it's not like the US where you could literally pool billions into the IRS and still go revenue positive because the system is just that broken.

Sweden's bigger problems is that there are two tax systems right now.

A: The tax system for the rich and consultant class
B: The tax system for everyone else

Aren't the letters
1. Luxembourg
2. Ireland
3. Malta
4. USA?

Isn't that where the actual business tax on services in the nordics actually go to? It's not like Google and FB is paying tax in Sweden

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

One thing I find interesting is how the current coalition is not running any form of Keynesian economics by borrowing money to spend on infrastructure and similar things.
As far as I understand it, compared to other EU countries the Swedish national debt is low and there would be plenty of room for borrowing at low rates.
And it is needed for sure, especially given the increase in population during the last 20 years and the constant underfinancing as you say.

Our dumb-dumb politicians (on both sides) decided that it is desirable to have a really low national debt to gdp ratio, something that makes so economic sense.

Sweden is seen as such a stable country that others are falling over one another lending us money even at negative rates. A Canadian pension fund recently declined to settle a mature debt and instead opted to, again at negative rates, to renew for a new 10 year (I think) period.

In summery, Sweden could finance a poo poo ton of infrastructure at basically zero cost of only the idiots in charge hadn't collectively decided that no, let's not do that.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Isn't that where the actual business tax on services in the nordics actually go to? It's not like Google and FB is paying tax in Sweden

Aren't something like a tenth of all global investments done through Luxembourg?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Aren't the letters
1. Luxembourg
2. Ireland
3. Malta
4. USA?

If you didn't notice all but the last one are in jurisdiction of the EU. The EU not only allows but encourages aggressive and borderline illegal forms of tax planning. They also make literal tax fraud very easy.

Cardiac posted:

My pet theory is that lending for infrastructure would increase inflation and thus interest rates and then the whole housing market will collapse and no party wants to be blamed for that. (Since apparently no one in Stockholm is paying off their mortgage)
On the other hand, Riksbanken having negative rates is probably not healthy either.
The autumn will be interesting, since already now Sandviken and LKAB are declaring predicted lower income and the vehicule industry is not exactly looking great for the near future.

Abandon all hope if you think there's a plan awaiting beyond the relentless and dangerous paying off of government bonds. I've asked Andersson personally about this, there's no good answer beyond 'this is what we do'. Persson started it, Borg continued it and Andersson is keeping the idiotic austerity at all times traditions alive for reasons that are neither strategic or ideological anymore.

But yes the government surplus is directly feeding the housing bubble. Institutional capital that desires safe assets can't find them because the government keeps shrinking the total pools of state bonds. That leaves huge pools of capital looking for a place to roost, which will typically be real-estate through less safe classes of bonds.

The inflation issue is another part of it but that's a long story and while government savings is part of it there's a lot more to it.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
We should 100% start using our intelligence services and special forces for something actually useful, rather than just imperialism and security theater. Namely hunting down CEOs and companies doing transfer pricing and other forms of tax evasion. loving send in the frømænd and have them make sure the rear end in a top hat companies pay for defrauding the state. Same for big pharma CEOs literally blackmailing families with the “pay us 10000 x as much as it’s worth, or you kids get no medicine!”. The Sam Fishers of the world should be used to gently caress with these people until they keep their robber baron profiteering at a more reasonable level.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Revelation 2-13 posted:

We should 100% start using our intelligence services and special forces for something actually useful, rather than just imperialism and security theater. Namely hunting down CEOs and companies doing transfer pricing and other forms of tax evasion. loving send in the frømænd and have them make sure the rear end in a top hat companies pay for defrauding the state. Same for big pharma CEOs literally blackmailing families with the “pay us 10000 x as much as it’s worth, or you kids get no medicine!”. The Sam Fishers of the world should be used to gently caress with these people until they keep their robber baron profiteering at a more reasonable level.

I'd be shocked if scandi intelligence services have enough funding to do anything beyond desperately try to keep tabs on people likely to build bombs or whatnot.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Nurge posted:

I'd be shocked if scandi intelligence services have enough funding to do anything beyond desperately try to keep tabs on people likely to build bombs or whatnot.

They literally keep tabs (illegally, without warrant) on everyone and force telecoms to foot the bill. Sometimes they mess up and allow software bugs to provide tainted evidence in countless cases for seven years and sit on that knowledge for months, so as not to sway an election against the parties responsible.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Potrzebie posted:

I visited the GBS "Free Rocky" thread and all I got was this red text :feelsgood:

E: it's 100% cancer. Go there to troll, otherwise stay away.

Oh I'm gonna eat a probie or a redtext for sure in that thread, but I couldn't help it.

Faens honningpotte

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Griner rullende på gulvet.

Hvem skulle også have troet at ge bæ es oraklerne blev sure over at alle lande ikke er lige så korrupte som deres eget.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Oh I'm gonna eat a probie or a redtext for sure in that thread, but I couldn't help it.

Faens honningpotte

Hur är stugan i skogen? Hygge? (Hur bygger en ens en mening med det ordet?)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Geebajs tråden er sannsynligvis den beste jeg har lest på lenge.

Pump that poo poo into my veins.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Potrzebie posted:

Hur är stugan i skogen? Hygge? (Hur bygger en ens en mening med det ordet?)

Går greit, men kjipt på denne tiden av året. For varmt. Er i syden i stedet, stakk av fra varmen en stund.

Cynic Jester posted:

Geebajs tråden er sannsynligvis den beste jeg har lest på lenge.

Pump that poo poo into my veins.

Jeg lar meg provosere for lett fremdeles, men det kjipeste er å prøve å skrive poster på denn jævla telefonen.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Går greit, men kjipt på denne tiden av året. For varmt. Er i syden i stedet, stakk av fra varmen en stund.

To ease the suffering on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Zudgemud posted:

To ease the suffering on the cheap.

Base should be more flared