Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Potato Salad posted:

is this due to the dress code expectations of airlines?

The flight school in question does trumpet an agreement they have with Envoy, but... no. It’s not, to the best of my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s that time of year! Yearly outdated online training time!

Me daily

Also me daily

It’s uncanny!

And my close favorite, the “oh poo poo we got in the wrong airplane!” slide

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rolo posted:

And my close favorite, the “oh poo poo we got in the wrong airplane!” slide

In fairness, this IS how the Comair crash at LEX started.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

In fairness, this IS how the Comair crash at LEX started.

Pretty sure no loaded CRJ-200 could've used the runway they chose.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

3500ft is pretty optimistic, nigh impossible, for a CRJ200.

e:

quote:

Polehinke filed a lawsuit against the airport and the company that designed the runway and taxi lights
Boy these standardized runway and taxi signs sure are confusing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Boy these standardized runway and taxi signs sure are confusing.

It is weird with no lights.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

It is weird with no lights.

No lights when you're supposed to be taking off on a runway with lights just adds further red flags.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

No lights when you're supposed to be taking off on a runway with lights just adds further red flags.

(those were the captain's last words)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Not sure if I'm in the right thread but I thought I'd give it a shot since I know there's a lot of pilots in here.

I went up in a 2 seat glider today and it was fun. Except for the part where I was an inch from barfing, which was almost the entire time except for the bits where we were going straight and level. Despite that, I'd still like to try again. I'm not sure i want to go as far as getting a glider licence, but I want to try it again to see how I feel about it, since I like the idea, and I don't think it's reasonable to make a conclusive judgement after one 20 minute very queasy flight.

So to get to the point, what can I do to minimise the nausea? I had the air vents open and the breeze helped, it had been several hours since I ate since I didn't want to go up on a full stomach (for what little good it did), I was reasonably hydrated. I realise that some of the rollercoaster stuff is unavoidable since the only way to get airspeed is nosing down and riding thermals can be bumpy so thats just poo poo I'm going to live with. Is it just a matter of sucking up hours of barfy airtime until I get used to it? Is there anything I can do on the ground or at home to build tolerance? Would air sickness medication help? Help appreciated, especially from glider guys.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do you get motion sick in cars? Seasick? If no, motion sickness in the first couple times in a light airplane is perfectly normal, and will almost certainly go away.

If yes, it’ll probably still go away, but it will take longer. Motion sickness medications will help, but exposure is just about the best thing. I would get mildly motion sick the first couple times I flew in light planes, but after maybe five or ten hours, it doesn’t happen anymore.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
If the nausea is debilitating, using motion sickness meds a few times can help you get the exposure you need without you spending the entire time hurling or about to hurl.

Source: me, who had to do this in the T-6.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
It's a matter of getting used to what's going to happen. It's a tolerance thing.

My suggestion, bring a couple of water bottles that are frozen. Keep one between your legs and when you feel sick, hold it in your hands and look at the horizon.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
This may sound counterintuitive, but ensuring you’ve eaten and are well hydrated will also help reduce your chances of airsickness. If you didn’t yack on your first flight though, you probably won’t on future flights.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Jeppesen Private Pilot textbook that I had as a student suggested it takes roughly 10 lessons/hours to get over the initial motion sickness you experience and was fairly accurate. There was a point in my training at which things improved drastically, though there were still triggers which could cause nausea. Still, use of motion sickness meds was highly discouraged in my case.

hobbesmaster posted:

No, but the fact they boarded and started the APU on the wrong airplane and only caught it after a ramp agent climbed in the plane and told them was the first of many fuckups that morning.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Can someone explain where the meowing on guard thing in America comes from? I fly mostly in Europe and never hear it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Can someone explain where the meowing on guard thing in America comes from? I fly mostly in Europe and never hear it.

Legend states it began at Great Lakes Airlines.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Do you get motion sick in cars? Seasick? If no, motion sickness in the first couple times in a light airplane is perfectly normal, and will almost certainly go away.

If yes, it’ll probably still go away, but it will take longer. Motion sickness medications will help, but exposure is just about the best thing. I would get mildly motion sick the first couple times I flew in light planes, but after maybe five or ten hours, it doesn’t happen anymore.

Kinda? I occasionally get carsick but the few times I've been out on a boat I was surprisingly resistant to seasickness.

overdesigned posted:

If the nausea is debilitating, using motion sickness meds a few times can help you get the exposure you need without you spending the entire time hurling or about to hurl.

Source: me, who had to do this in the T-6.

It was kind of bad. I didn't hurl chunks but I had to call "your aircraft" because I couldn't focus enough and needed my hands to hold the sick sack. :saddowns:

Maybe airsickness meds might help.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Carth Dookie posted:

Kinda? I occasionally get carsick but the few times I've been out on a boat I was surprisingly resistant to seasickness.

It was kind of bad. I didn't hurl chunks but I had to call "your aircraft" because I couldn't focus enough and needed my hands to hold the sick sack. :saddowns:

Maybe airsickness meds might help.

Try the eating a good meal and being well-hydrated thing.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Can't hurt! Checking out pricing, it seems that per hour costs roughly the same as light sport aircraft training, largely because of tug plane fees, unless you get good weather and can soar longer to offset the initial launch fee. Also having an engine may allow less aggressive maeuvering to help overcoming initial airsickness. Hmmmm

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Carth Dookie posted:

Can't hurt! Checking out pricing, it seems that per hour costs roughly the same as light sport aircraft training, largely because of tug plane fees, unless you get good weather and can soar longer to offset the initial launch fee. Also having an engine may allow less aggressive maeuvering to help overcoming initial airsickness. Hmmmm

That seems high? I don't have much in the way of glider experience, but the local group to me, the Philadelphia Glider Council, charges around $1k/year and average tow fees of $35/tow with instruction included (by CFI members I believe, I think all members are required to take turns doing support activities like wing running, and CFIs do support by letting students try to kill them)

Alternatively, maybe light sport is real cheap near you, and you should do both!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Could be. The club I'm at launches using a tug and you pay for time on the tug to get you to altitude, plus per minute on the glider. Cost of flying a plane is per tacho hour. Club fees are the same. Member to governing bodies are separate for plane and glider, and curiously, gliders cost more (not much, but still). Other gliding clubs launch using a winch and cost less because of that, but aren't as convenient in location.

The "savings" on the glider only really apply when I can fly solo because the per minute cost of the glider is about half of the dual seat, and also when soaring time gets higher.

Plane costs $150 per tacho hour,

Glider costs roughly $75 to launch, and then $1.50 per minute in air for a dual seater, or 0.85-1.00 per minute for a solo glider. So at first 2 seating, it might cost more for the first hour. But the plane is going to cost $150 an hour, every hour, while the glider doesn't, and caps out in price after 3 hours.

So the more gliding I do, the cheaper it gets, whereas the plane stays the same.

Seems like a good reason to do both, really.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

This might be a good thing, I believe actually puking is the worst thing because it creates a habit/association in your head that you now have to break. It should be a little better next time.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

sanchez posted:

This might be a good thing, I believe actually puking is the worst thing because it creates a habit/association in your head that you now have to break. It should be a little better next time.

Fingers crossed. I've booked a flight in a powered bug smasher this weekend. We'll see if that makes a difference. I figure air time is air time but I'll probably focus on gliding first. Long term it works out cheaper.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I submit myself for public ridicule, shaming, and the annals of idiotic ways to fail a checkride

not using full power on short field takeoff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You should’ve tried “Oh I thought you said flex field take off!”

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
If it makes you feel any better, I very nearly failed my first time around by having a head-on collision illusion, pulling power back, and leveling off at pattern -200ft. (I WAS catching up with the guy in front of me hella fast, but not head-on as it appeared.)

OK, that all said - I guess the thread wants me to post, because I have two things to post about now. I'm also in the "get nauseous to the point of horking" club, to which e.pilot can now attest. Exposure is indeed the only way to inoculate yourself to the effects, so if you're like me you'll just have to tough it out until your resistance comes up to meet your interest in flying. I went through a private pilot with this weakness, and if you love it enough, you'll find your way through in time.

Related to that, the only medication that I believe works *while you are NOT PIC* is Bonine/meclizine (generic), as you won't fall asleep immediately. I've found it will still put you to sleep...later. (2-3 hours later? Maybe a bit more) Many others are just practically sleeping pills. Once you are solo/PIC, you can't use this crutch anymore, because the FAA (rightfully) finds it a little too mind altering. If you have an instructor to be PIC, feel free to try it and see how you react. You might warn your instructor that you're doing so if you do.

If you want to look up exercises, the terms are "motion sickness habituation" - basically making yourself sick repeatedly on the ground.

Do eat a small something before you fly, empty is worse than a little, but don't eat a lot. Fruit is great because it mostly comes back up the same if it needs to.

Finally, THANK YOU to e.pilot for a great experience getting back into flying, and coming all the way down south to silly valley at least once. The exposure to someone with so much commercial experience was a real eye opener in being able to fly the aircraft to a higher standard than I previously thought possible.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dalrain posted:

Related to that, the only medication that I believe works *while you are NOT PIC* is Bonine/meclizine (generic), as you won't fall asleep immediately. I've found it will still put you to sleep...later. (2-3 hours later? Maybe a bit more) Many others are just practically sleeping pills. Once you are solo/PIC, you can't use this crutch anymore, because the FAA (rightfully) finds it a little too mind altering. If you have an instructor to be PIC, feel free to try it and see how you react. You might warn your instructor that you're doing so if you do.
I’ve never gotten airsick thankfully so this is all second hand recommendations, but I’ve heard ginger candy and gum can really help take the edge off of air sickness. Also keeping your head level with the ground in turns vs level with the plane.

quote:

Do eat a small something before you fly, empty is worse than a little, but don't eat a lot. Fruit is great because it mostly comes back up the same if it needs to.
Gatorade is also a great drink that tastes more or less the same coming back up, plus it makes the puke fun colors. :madmax:

quote:

Finally, THANK YOU to e.pilot for a great experience getting back into flying, and coming all the way down south to silly valley at least once. The exposure to someone with so much commercial experience was a real eye opener in being able to fly the aircraft to a higher standard than I previously thought possible.
You’re quite welcome! I’d be more than happy to come back down again any time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dupersaurus posted:

I submit myself for public ridicule, shaming, and the annals of idiotic ways to fail a checkride

All things being equal, I think I'd prefer a student fail the checkride this way rather than due to a sustained error in technique, because now your instructor has the task of figuring out why that mistake was made and helping you fix it. That's not difficult: you were under the pressure of a checkride, and basically made one nearly-instantaneous error. We'd probably review checklists and memory items for specialty takeoffs (this is one reason you always want to confirm RPM and engine gauges with brakes on -- it's not always to check whether the plane is working properly, it's also to confirm you've not made a configuration error), and I'd send you again.

Compare that to someone who failed due to being +/- 400 feet in slow flight, for example (these examples are taken from real life by the way). Now, not only have you made a significant mistake, but I need to figure out why you didn't correct properly after getting 100-200 feet off your assigned altitude, and look for much more fundamental misunderstandings and errors.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

PT6A posted:

failed due to being +/- 400

jesus I'm freaking out because I had trouble staying +/- 50 in steep turns the other day during solo practice

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

PT6A posted:

All things being equal, I think I'd prefer a student fail the checkride this way rather than due to a sustained error in technique, because now your instructor has the task of figuring out why that mistake was made and helping you fix it. That's not difficult: you were under the pressure of a checkride, and basically made one nearly-instantaneous error. We'd probably review checklists and memory items for specialty takeoffs (this is one reason you always want to confirm RPM and engine gauges with brakes on -- it's not always to check whether the plane is working properly, it's also to confirm you've not made a configuration error), and I'd send you again.

Compare that to someone who failed due to being +/- 400 feet in slow flight, for example (these examples are taken from real life by the way). Now, not only have you made a significant mistake, but I need to figure out why you didn't correct properly after getting 100-200 feet off your assigned altitude, and look for much more fundamental misunderstandings and errors.

Yeah pretty much, though I'm probably more frustrated about it being such a "trivial" thing than if it was something big like that. But other than that the examiner was very complementary about my flying, so that was nice. And he offered some interesting notes about things neither the instructors I've went up with noticed.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I was beginning to think that the pilots at my new job didn't act like real pilots. Those fears were put to rest when I found this on the bulletin board in my soon-to-be new crew room:

dupersaurus posted:

If you weren't already in it, welcome to the club! :toot: You've joined an elite group of pilots including several of my former students.....and myself.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Flying in the morning can also be a good way to help reduce the chances of airsickness, as it's much smoother early in the day.

I wish my first private instructor would have figured that out early in the going.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Another thing that factored in to my initial nausea was being nervous and flying like an rear end in a top hat with lots of really abrupt, jerky small control movements. That doesn't help anybody, so if you're doing it, forcing yourself to calm down and be smooth (sometimes easier to say than do) may help.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
We have a student who bought a Twin Comanche to do his multi-engine training, but it’s not properly equipped for IFR and he’s running out of money. I just want a reality check on my current possibly-insane idea, which is to pay for an IFR-capable GPS and possibly an ADF (because lol Canada) in exchange for a share of the plane. How questionable of an idea is this, overall?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

We have a student who bought a Twin Comanche to do his multi-engine training, but it’s not properly equipped for IFR and he’s running out of money. I just want a reality check on my current possibly-insane idea, which is to pay for an IFR-capable GPS and possibly an ADF (because lol Canada) in exchange for a share of the plane. How questionable of an idea is this, overall?

If he’s already having money issues with it that sounds like a terrible idea.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PT6A posted:

Don’t become financially involved with someone who is clearly financially illiterate.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don’t think he has money issues so much as he can’t afford a WAAS-capable GPS installation and has therefore wisely decided not to do it at the moment, but I still take your point.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How did he afford an entire airplane if he can't afford an electronics package?

What is he going to do for the inspections and maintenance?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

Don’t become financially involved with someone who is clearly financially illiterate.

Not just blowing your airplane budget, but blowing it on a twin comanche.

I don’t think you’d regret staying away. I’ve never known anyone to have even a passable financial experience with one of those planes, let alone sharing it with someone who isn’t wealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

Not just blowing your airplane budget, but blowing it on a twin comanche.

I don’t think you’d regret staying away. I’ve never known anyone to have even a passable financial experience with one of those planes, let alone sharing it with someone who isn’t wealthy.

My one student who bought a Twin Comanche crashed it and died on his very first flight.