Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

inthesto posted:

Also, does drafting a character mean they're less likely to show up in the pool again for everyone? I keep hearing people say they pick a character so nobody else can have it (in the regular buying process, not on the carousel obv), and if that's true, that changes things a bit, especially lategame.

It does. There's a limited amount of each champion in the pool, and the higher the tier, the less copies of that champion. In particular, at T5 there are only 10 copies of each champion, so if, say, three people have a even a single Swain each, no one in the game will be able to three-star him until one of them either sells theirs or gets eliminated.

inthesto posted:

I feel like there just isn't enough time between rounds to plan, look at other boards, and draft.

Extremely agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Oh well have you tried not being bad then?

I guess it's going about as well as your ability not to be a poo poo head. But I guess like bad play in this game for me, that aspect comes naturally to you. You rear end in a top hat. At the end of the day of a choice of being bad at game vs being a stupid rear end in a top hat, I'll let you hold that second crown there poo poo lord.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I was away on vacation for a week, what do I build in TFT now?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

ungulateman posted:

I think it's perfectly fine to not enjoy a game with variance, but the solution is to either stop playing or just accept that 20-30% of games are stone cold unwinnable, and another 40-50% are unwinnable given your skill level.

I had a few of said 20-30% games earlier and I just stopped playing because why keep getting angry at things beyond my control? It's the same thing with a lot of games that have random elements

very few games are unwinnable, unless you are acting under the assumption that "win" means "first place"(win is top 4, proud win is top 3, podium is first place)

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Sexpansion posted:

I was away on vacation for a week, what do I build in TFT now?

The meta build is Aatrox, Morgana, Kennen, +2 demons. 4 demons in general is quite dominant. Possibly more dominant than the old assassin/ninja. The most common variations are Demon/Yordle/Sorc, Demon/Blademaster, and Demon/Shapeshifter. The "Soulless" comp that people seem to think is the bestest is Aatrox, Morgana, Kennen, Lulu, Veigar, Evelynn, (demon) Pyke.

Rangers are viable now with the death of assassins and the rise of Demons (they point blank AoE so a ranged backline is good), but they really really want shivs. Brawler/Glacial stacking Voli is also still workable. Gunslingers still work. And Shapeshifter/Dragons stacking Shyvana works. Draven is back but needs 3 BM and/or imperial buff for support and comes online a bit late. 6 assassins is super risky cause the meta build counters them directly so I'd avoid personally. Guardians are a non-poo poo option to accompany comps now if you want.

Also looking at what other people are doing is super mega overrated beyond positioning. I've literally forced comps 4 other people were doing and come out first. It matters, it will add some % to your play, but it's way down the list of priorities. If you don't have time for it literally forget about it. If looking at other people is taking time from literally any other activity that could occupy your time/mind it's probably losing you more than it's helping.

EDIT: Bit of meta commentary but every comp that relied on 4s is either dead, very risky, or sub-optimal. Comps come online with 3s for the most part and are aggressively built. Do not expect to be able to econ hard.

For items Morello (insane), Ionic Spark (note they don't stack on same team), red buff, and tooth (cause meta builds are ultimate focused) are all very meta items. Plenty of people will stack a tank plus lifesteal or warmogs and you will often need a healing debuff to beat them. RFCs remain core on stacked carries. Shivs are huge on rangers. Lockets and Zekes are decent options, lockets being core on the main demon builds. Hush is arguably better than cursed blade on gunslingers (blade nerf + ulti meta), but the red buff on Tristana is the most important thing. Seraphs > Shojin generally as games are SO explosive your first ult is more important than how fast your 2nd+ comes out. Swords fell hard down the list of priorities, last pick IMO.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 27, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Well, poo poo. Won my first ever round of TFT* after a dozen or so and now it's stuck on the "Skip Waiting For Stats" screen. Don't deny me this, Riot! :riot:

*MVP: Veigar in a 6 Yordle comp with Seraph's Embrace, Luden's Echo and Guardian Angel

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's more like Poker than chess, you don't come out of a poker game cursing the dealer didn't give you four aces so you could win the game

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Chess is hard though. What people want is a game that they can sit down and immediately win their first game without learning anything about it, and also it's entirely skill dependent with no randomness.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
tbh I cursed the poker dealers when I came 25th in a 75 person tournament after winning exactly 0 loving hands all day

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

kingcobweb posted:

Chess is hard though. What people want is a game that they can sit down and immediately win their first game without learning anything about it, and also it's entirely skill dependent with no randomness.

I hate the RNG in teamfight tactics, i want to win based on skill not randomness. Time to play summoner's rift

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Stretch Marx posted:

I guess it's going about as well as your ability not to be a poo poo head. But I guess like bad play in this game for me, that aspect comes naturally to you. You rear end in a top hat. At the end of the day of a choice of being bad at game vs being a stupid rear end in a top hat, I'll let you hold that second crown there poo poo lord.

gotta be honest you kinda come across as a psycho

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
TFT has certainly ushered in some quality shitflingers to the league thread

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Aumanor posted:

It does. There's a limited amount of each champion in the pool, and the higher the tier, the less copies of that champion. In particular, at T5 there are only 10 copies of each champion, so if, say, three people have a even a single Swain each, no one in the game will be able to three-star him until one of them either sells theirs or gets eliminated.

Extremely agreed.

I think what chaps my hide is that when you go to check the other players' boards, it doesn't switch the POV. So you're both looking at the units from a completely unfamiliar angle, but some of them are also partially hidden by the UI at the top. I'm sure I'll get faster and better at it with more experience, but for now I'm still trying to make decisions while I still have an item chart up on my second screen.

TFT seems like it would be a lot of fun to LAN/in-house with seven of your buddies, though.

kingcobweb posted:

I'm much more content to lose due to some bad RNG rolls rather than have to put up with nine strangers who will at best be extremely passive-aggressive

inthesto fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 27, 2019

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

milkman dad posted:

If i'm at 3410 tft beta pass points and my next orb unlocks in 11H am I going to be 10 points off getting the last icon?

Do missions ya gump

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Also I think what we can all agree on is that people who climb in this game are just lucky, pure luck and nothing else, kingcobweb for example got to D3 because he’s lucky

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

Also I think what we can all agree on is that people who climb in this game are just lucky, pure luck and nothing else, kingcobweb for example got to D3 because he’s lucky

Climbing to D2 was skill and nothing else. Falling to D4 0LP was luck. You buffoon.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I can't win doing anything other than gunslinger rerolling this patch. This loving sucks.

e: i'm going to get DON'T BUILD AROUND DRAVEN WITHOUT RFC tattooed backward on my forehead and play my TFT games in front of a mirror

e e: i did get to see my IE draven kill himself with one auto at 50% HP on thornmail Braum, so that was pretty funny

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 28, 2019

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

If I'm looking to learn the jungle (Xin Zhao, Kha, Ekko, Nunu, and Lee Sin are in my rotations) are there any streamers or guide websites/programs that I should be looking at for advice so I don't have to dodge whenever I get autofilled to it?

Edit:

More specifically, I don't know optimal rotations. Usually I go from bot side buff, to top side where I either do my wolves/blue/gromp or steal the enemy red after I finished my red while looking for ganks to do wherever I am.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 28, 2019

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Mega Comrade posted:

Top lane? Like being a jerk? Have you tried my girl Illaoi. Few champs can ruin the other laners day like she can. She's also in a super good place at the moment with her recent changes.
Yeah, she seems really good right now.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I haven’t found the need to yet but after barely getting a chroma skin for the arcade event how much do you have to play with a pass to get a prestige akin?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
So what's the play for when every single minion wave gives you gold and you go up against a team of multiple 2/3 stars each of which has an item?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Aerox posted:

So what's the play for when every single minion wave gives you gold and you go up against a team of multiple 2/3 stars each of which has an item?

Reroll to get higher level units to beat them with stats

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Aerox posted:

Give up and complain about it on the internet

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Aerox posted:

F

No seriously you use the gold to press F and level. Getting gold from early minion waves owns because you can buy out the entire opening shops AND keep your opening two cost unit AND put out four units for the first PVP fight

It seems like you’re just whining about generally being unlucky but a) even running out like, trist Lucian nid Warwick all at one star will beat a lot of people early or at least kill some stuff to keep your HP up, b) there’s substantial item catchup so you’ll get showered in items at wolves/chickens

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

F

No seriously you use the gold to press F and level. Getting gold from early minion waves owns because you can buy out the entire opening shops AND keep your opening two cost unit AND put out four units for the first PVP fight

It was a real question and this is helpful; thank you!

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Verviticus posted:

gotta be honest you kinda come across as a psycho

I actually did stop and ask myself if that was too much. But nah I just don't have any patience anymore for dipshits and they're generally too much of a bunch of assholes to take a simple "shut up." hint. When I was younger I might play along but nah. gently caress trolls and their enablers. The world is stupid enough as it is.

It's not the variance I have a problem with. I like making my own card/board games and it's incredibly important for keeping a game from becoming predictable and stale. It's that the chart someone posted earlier with the percentages per level don't seem to match if cards from dead players are returning to the draft. Multiple times now I've tested it by sitting at Rank 5 with it's supposed 35% draw rate for level one cards, purposely wait for players to fall out below, and let others go ahead. Watched two players with lvl 2 Kassadins die while I had the 3rd and a couple of copies of lvl 1. Theoretically, if they die 6 copies of Kassadin return to the pool. At 35% and 10 gold I should be able to see at least one in 5 rolls of a hand of 6 cards for one of the remaining hands of the game. But they literally never appeared again. Not: one was there and you missed it , oops!. It happens way too consistently,

I was just mad because I did that test for 5 games running and kept seeing it regardless of which teir I was using. If you can see that other people aren't using those units and are actively cycling out their older for newer, then the older should return to the pool to use. That's how it works in DOTA autochess and Underlords, I figured it was the same here. I prefer this game for the unit variety, board setup, and I think items are used better in TFT. The odds are trash. That and seeing someone get 6 items in the first 3 pve rounds and then build Omega Lucien/Vayne/Trist immediately.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
But that's all programming and be fixed.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Stretch Marx posted:

It's not the variance I have a problem with. I like making my own card/board games and it's incredibly important for keeping a game from becoming predictabl It's that the chart someone posted earlier with the percentages per level don't seem to match if cards from dead players are returning to the draft. Multiple times now I've tested it by sitting at Rank 5 with it's supposed 35% draw rate for level one cards, purposely wait for players to fall out below, and let others go ahead. Watched two players with lvl 2 Kassadins die while I had the 3rd and a couple of copies of lvl 1. Theoretically, if they die 6 copies of Kassadin return to the pool. At 35% and 10 gold I should be able to see at least one in 5 rolls of a hand of 6 cards for one of the remaining hands of the game. But they literally never appeared again. Not: one was there and you missed it , oops!. It happens way too consistently,

Just want to point out your math is wrong here. Assuming you were talking about level, it's a 35% chance to show a tier 1 character, not chance to see Kassadin. And if people are getting knocked out, all their level ones are also back in the mix which decreases your chances further.

E: if you think back during those refills you probably saw tier 1 dudes. Guess what! Those were your 35%.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Stretch Marx posted:

It's not the variance I have a problem with. I like making my own card/board games and it's incredibly important for keeping a game from becoming predictable and stale. It's that the chart someone posted earlier with the percentages per level don't seem to match if cards from dead players are returning to the draft. Multiple times now I've tested it by sitting at Rank 5 with it's supposed 35% draw rate for level one cards, purposely wait for players to fall out below, and let others go ahead. Watched two players with lvl 2 Kassadins die while I had the 3rd and a couple of copies of lvl 1. Theoretically, if they die 6 copies of Kassadin return to the pool. At 35% and 10 gold I should be able to see at least one in 5 rolls of a hand of 6 cards for one of the remaining hands of the game. But they literally never appeared again. Not: one was there and you missed it , oops!. It happens way too consistently,

Also you may be looking at an old sheet, because there is no longer a 35% for a 1-cost card. it goes from 40% to 29% at level 5 -> 6

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

threelemmings posted:

Just want to point out your math is wrong here. Assuming you were talking about level, it's a 35% chance to show a tier 1 character, not chance to see Kassadin. And if people are getting knocked out, all their level ones are also back in the mix which decreases your chances further.

E: if you think back during those refills you probably saw tier 1 dudes. Guess what! Those were your 35%.

If you have a 35% of seeing a tier 1 card at level 5 then literally over 1/3 of viewed cards will be tier 1 at that level. If the majority of players have at least one level 3 tier 1 character, then that's 9 cards tied up on the board/bench and no longer in the rotation per player. This increases as more players rank up cards. The 35% does not change, but the composition of that 35% does. If there are less types of tier 1 cards in the 35% because they have been taken, the remaining types of tier 1 cards must appear within that 35% more often. The only way this doesn't happen if different types of cards within a tier have different totals of actual cards (ie Kassadin only has 18 copies in the deck total by default, but Garen on the other hand has 24).

This is the most basic part of deck building in card games like Magic. Remove or add copies to affect the odds of something appearing in a deck of 60 cards. If you're playing a paper version of the game and you want your deck to comprise of mostly 2 or 3 mana creatures as a backbone but you keep drawing your high level cards, then that's an indication that you personally hosed up your card mix and need to remove more copies of high end cards. Once corrected, the odds become consistent and if your strategy is good you start winning. If you then take that exact deck and bring it to a computer setting which is supposed to be running the same odds, then you should get similar results. If you're still consistently getting those high end cards, then the programming is hosed. In TFT the cards should be even across the board in terms of quantity, so if people have cards tied up on the board, then the deck's remaining cards will increase in appearance because there are literally nothing else to look at.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Torchlighter posted:

Also you may be looking at an old sheet, because there is no longer a 35% for a 1-cost card. it goes from 40% to 29% at level 5 -> 6

See, this is constructive help in explaining what I was seeing. Dropping below 1 in 3 makes a big difference and means it's more worth it to sell early units then level them. This makes early lvl 3s completely random and less worth targeting for. But that also means it cuts a bunch of early game strategies out.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 28, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
You still come off as psycho and bitching about some stupid poo poo that everyone else deals with.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Pandasmores posted:

If I'm looking to learn the jungle (Xin Zhao, Kha, Ekko, Nunu, and Lee Sin are in my rotations) are there any streamers or guide websites/programs that I should be looking at for advice so I don't have to dodge whenever I get autofilled to it?

Edit:

More specifically, I don't know optimal rotations. Usually I go from bot side buff, to top side where I either do my wolves/blue/gromp or steal the enemy red after I finished my red while looking for ganks to do wherever I am.

To try to help out here a bit. For the first part of the question, in my experience I have yet to find anyone really useful to watch in the Jungle. For the most part anyone I've tried to watch in the past has fallen into two categories: 1) highly gimmicky jungler trying to make youtube highlight reels (IWillDominate, NightBlue, Trick2G) or 2) People who tilt off the face of the earth and yell at their team in chat after a failed gank.

As for your question, I would just look up a youtube video on jungle pathing in the current meta. Unless you're a jungler who wants to cheese out a level 2 gank (which none on your list really are, though Lee and Nunu could), you're going to want to get level 3 before really fighting. The tried and true starting path is Bot buff with a leash>Wolves>Top buff>Krugs/Gromp depending on what's closest. This will get you to 3 and depending on how much hp you have at this point either take scuttle crab or gank top/mid (or both!).

That said, there's a ton of viable paths now depending on who you're playing/what you're trying to do. If you want to try a farm heavy jungler that wants to rush to 6 (e.g. Karthus), you can clear your whole bot side jungle>recall>clear full top side jungle. If you're an AOE heavy jungle (hecarim/kayn), kill raptors instead of wolves. Want to get 3 after 3 camps instead of 4? Kill krugs instead of wolves second.

Beyond that first clear, just look for ganks where you can, keep dragon and herald/baron warded and try to have a sense of where your opponent is at all times. In a lot of cases a counter gank is just as good or better than ganking yourself. A lot of this part comes from experience / knowing the flow of the game, so I would just recommend playing more jungle and learning as you go.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You still come off as psycho and bitching about some stupid poo poo that everyone else deals with.

Ok Something Awful forums user Harry Potter on Ice. Noted.

In other news, duel Ionic Sparks breaks the game.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I thought they didn't stack? Did they change that?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I'm not a master of probability, but using my primitive methods half remembered from school* I think you're vastly misjudging how the probabilities shake out. At level 5 you have a 37% chance for each slot to be a tier 1 and there are 11 tier 1 characters. This means by default (ie. nobody has any tier 1s tied up on the board or their shop) you have a 3.4% chance for each slot to be a specific tier 1 character. Which is a roughly 16% chance per roll for a specific tier 1 character to appear at least once. Which means you have roughly 58% chance to see that specific character at least once in 5 rolls. Which of course means it's not unlikely at all for that character to not appear in your shop in the scenario described.

Part of the reason the gunslinger hard reroll strategy exists is because it is so hard to reliably get 3* units any other way, and 3* is essential for a tier 1 carry, of which it uses Tristana. Every other comp goes gently caress rerolling for tier 1s and either slaps whatever they get of that unit in for the synergy or cuts tier 1s as soon as they can. This is part of why Wild (and noble) is a dogshit synergy by the way: it typically wants to run 2 tier 1s and a tier 4. Which means it can't sit and reroll forever for its tier 1s because it needs to level up to grab its tier 4, leaving it with useless 2* tier 1 units most of the time.

(* saying this because I could very well be wrong, not as a dig)

Phigs fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 28, 2019

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Pandasmores posted:

Edit:

I've found this channel has lots of informative content: https://www.youtube.com/user/SkillCappedDotNet

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Stretch Marx posted:

Ok Something Awful forums user Harry Potter on Ice. Noted.
Please go outside and clear your head or something. The magic analogy here is actually that you’re ranting about the MTGO or Arena shuffler

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Stretch Marx posted:

Multiple times now I've tested it by sitting at Rank 5 with it's supposed 35% draw rate for level one cards, purposely wait for players to fall out below, and let others go ahead. Watched two players with lvl 2 Kassadins die while I had the 3rd and a couple of copies of lvl 1. Theoretically, if they die 6 copies of Kassadin return to the pool. At 35% and 10 gold I should be able to see at least one in 5 rolls of a hand of 6 cards for one of the remaining hands of the game.

This is wrong and you've made an idiot of yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Kassadin with Disarm and Bloodthirster is kinda mean in TFT, course I also had Wild Shape shifting sorcs, and that helped. Also, all but two of my team was gold (only Gnar and Shyvana were bronze, TF Warwick, Ahri, Nid, and kass were gold.)