Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of dualing, I'm almost at the end of SoD and my Thief/Kensai just reached level 10 in Thief so I got my Kensai abilities back. I did the one on one dual with Ashtiel and chunked her in one hit with my staff because she couldn't see me. IT WAS GLORIOUS!

Edit for more backstab praise: Holy poo poo, never really did much backstabbing before because it's so unwieldy to use and I usually use thieves as bowers and for opening locks and disarming traps. Now I'm playing my Kensai thief going through Chateau Irenicus and positioning and getting off backstabs is hilarious and awesome. I did a critical quad backstab on Illych for 198 pts of damage and he just exploded. I hope this is useful later on for mages. I know a lot of mages tend to have contingencies and what not fire right away, so hopefully the game will let me make ample use of this ability.
Backstabs cure mages.

edit: Damnit, I've done a couple partial playthroughs as a fitey-type guy, and taken one fitey type guy most of the way through ToB, but now I really want to powergame a backstabber because I've always loved backstabbing things to kick off fights but have never done it as the PC, or at least not recently. But I also want to do a playthough as a Sorcerer. Maybe I'll do a multiplayer game alone so I can build my own party?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
thief/mage + mislead + staff of the ram = lol mages

mage + chain contingency + abi-dalzim's horrid wilting = lol everything

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 26, 2019

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
also lol at the genie in trademeet who kind of breaks the fourth wall in acknowledging your prescience if you bring him the head of the rakshasa he's after before ever getting the quest to do so

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Had a cool moment in Siege where I’d explored a bit before taking all my quests, and wound up toting the leg of a giant spider around. I gave it to Neera like “not sure why I even have this but here you go!” when she’s looking for ways to get Backwards Yoda out of her head.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I own BG1 and 2 through the Beamdog store/app. I have yet to play Siege of Dragonspear, and BG2 being what it is, I am sure I will play it again in future. Does it matter if I get it on GOG/Steam etc, or is it easier to import from Siege into BG2 if they are through the same client? I would imagine this doesn't matter too much?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

I own BG1 and 2 through the Beamdog store/app. I have yet to play Siege of Dragonspear, and BG2 being what it is, I am sure I will play it again in future. Does it matter if I get it on GOG/Steam etc, or is it easier to import from Siege into BG2 if they are through the same client? I would imagine this doesn't matter too much?

I thought siege was technically an expansion to bg1 and thus you have to own bg1 on the same platform

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nah SoD is stand-alone and doesn't need either of the other games installed

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SOD isn’t standalone and absolutely needs BG1 installed. It doesn’t even have its own launch icon in GOG or Steam. It is “separate” from BG1 in the same way Throne of Bhaal is separate from BG2, however.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of dualing, I'm almost at the end of SoD and my Thief/Kensai just reached level 10 in Thief so I got my Kensai abilities back. I did the one on one dual with Ashtiel and chunked her in one hit with my staff because she couldn't see me. IT WAS GLORIOUS!

Edit for more backstab praise: Holy poo poo, never really did much backstabbing before because it's so unwieldy to use and I usually use thieves as bowers and for opening locks and disarming traps. Now I'm playing my Kensai thief going through Chateau Irenicus and positioning and getting off backstabs is hilarious and awesome. I did a critical quad backstab on Illych for 198 pts of damage and he just exploded. I hope this is useful later on for mages. I know a lot of mages tend to have contingencies and what not fire right away, so hopefully the game will let me make ample use of this ability.

I did my first Thief/Kensai build for my last playthrough and it was pretty great. Did pretty well against the illithids in the underdark with some potions of invisibility right after backstabs too. I went with Kensai 13 before dualing into Thief but kinda regretted not being able to play around with Backstabs earlier.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I did Kensai 9 and now my Thief levels are up to 12. It’s hilarious breaking scripted encounters that don’t trigger properly because a member of your party isn’t “seen” to start dialogue with. I just finished freeing Hendak in the Copper Coronet by backstabbing the door guard, and he then doesn’t call for help or raise the alarm, then straight to the back and backstab the beast master and grab his key. That quest took around 30 seconds when played like that.

Before that I handled the Kalah/circus quest the same. The entire quest took about 5 minutes because I just backstabbed key characters and as soon as Kalah himself is down the whole illusion and other mobs are dispelled. It would feel absolutely broken if I hadn’t already played a sorcerer before.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

SOD isn’t standalone and absolutely needs BG1 installed. It doesn’t even have its own launch icon in GOG or Steam. It is “separate” from BG1 in the same way Throne of Bhaal is separate from BG2, however.

That's really odd. I only have it on Android where it is totally stand alone.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
They had to separate it on mobile because of memory limitations, IIRC. Took a long time because they likely had to renegotiate with the rights holders too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ok that makes sense then. I hadn’t played it on mobile to see how it was laid out. It’s definitely just “DLC” as far as the games on PC go.

I just completed it again night before last, and I loved it the first time and liked it even more the second. I think the last few minutes are very effective at setting up the beginning of BG2 without being super obvious about it. Having Imoen out of the party while she dual classes as well as the Skie frame up are pretty creative ways of explains how you’re captured, and why you have Imoen, Jaheira, and Minsc of all people with you besides “we’ll it’s just the canon party”.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So I guess I am handing over $20 to beamdog for it in their client, or I can wait for a sale that has BG:EE and SOD on GOG or Steam for cheaper than that when bought together? (I don't mind paying devs what they deserve, I just don't like having to launch this other client just to play BG 1 or 2, and possibly SOD)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pretty sure these games were just on sale on Steam and/or GOG as well. Are they not no more?

Edit: they are not, sadly. Still, the games are definitely worth $100+ dollars considering all the hours I’ve spent on them over the years.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 27, 2019

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

There was a sale that ended just recently where everything was $5 each so that's the price point you're looking for

Or pay the extra $5 lol

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

thief/mage + mislead + staff of the ram = lol mages

mage + chain contingency + abi-dalzim's horrid wilting = lol everything

Didn't they fix the mislead thing in the EE:s

Also I've sadly never bothered with a backstabbing thief when playing a party (or thieves in general, just tank all the traps) but it's hilarious when playing solo since it's easier to micro backstabs and stealth in solo

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What’s folks opinions on the new EE NPCs? I enjoyed Neera and Rasaad well enough on my last good playthrough and this time I’ve been using Dorn a lot. Dorn might be my new fave party member. I think he’s very well written and I get where he’s coming from most of the time even if I don’t agree. He’s a great foil for my lawful evil character who I’m playing as a dude whose trying to cling to a charade that he’s not evil and over the course of the trilogy of games and siege, becomes more and more enamored with death and power. It’s an enjoyable ride!

Also it’s a huge loss that Baeloth is not in BG2. I love having a sorcerer party member and he’s good cheerful fun.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Baeloth and Neera are the only ones I regularly use. Rasaad is just such a weakling in BG1 and Hexxat is similarly weak in BG2. Dorn and Rasaads quests are kind of irritating so I don't bother with them either.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So far I’ve loved all of Dorn’s quests. In fact the only issue I have with the new content is how blurry the new environments are in BG1. By BG2 and especially Siege they definitely upped their game. I want more Beamdog expansions!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I used Rasaad as a filler for a chunk of bg1 and haven't touched any of them since

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

netcat posted:

Didn't they fix the mislead thing in the EE:s

nope lol

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

What’s folks opinions on the new EE NPCs?

I wish there was a toggle to disable them.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I wish there was a toggle to disable them.

Play on mobile, they're paid DLC there rather than in by default~

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Guess I’m alone then, I really liked all of them. And that’s ok!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If we're talking about BG1, I thought all of the new NPCs were extremely poorly written.

EDIT: Even by BG1 standards.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm still low-key mad about Neera's quest in BG2EE, to be honest. At least the quests I did in BG1 were unobtrusive, but then I got to that and... as much as I liked the new pre-rendered map, the quest was really, really bad.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Guess I’m alone then, I really liked all of them. And that’s ok!

I thought they were all pretty good too. I think a lot of people hold vanilla bg1 and bg2 quests in too high of regard just because they're familiar

I didnt play the non ees very much so it's all the same

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I thought they were all pretty good too. I think a lot of people hold vanilla bg1 and bg2 quests in too high of regard just because they're familiar

I didnt play the non ees very much so it's all the same

There's a very big difference in the writing quality in my opinion. It is not so much that I think that the EE writing is bad in all cases, but I think it's kind of bad at trying to be funny. Especially be evil funny. This comes out more in the PC's dialogue than in the NPC dialogue though.

I like the new NPCs, but they all definitely feel different from the original NPCs.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
The voice acting in Neera's quest in BG2 is criminal.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Entropy238 posted:

The voice acting in Neera's quest in BG2 is criminal.

Even at its best the voice acting in the EE's is lackluster, though I suspect that it was a direction problem more than anything. There's certainly nothing as good as Nalia's bastard rant.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Is bg3 going to suck too?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ikanreed posted:

Is bg3 going to suck too?

what does your heart tell you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Beamdog isn't involved in BG3 in any capacity, so while it very well could suck, nothing about the new content in the EEs is indicative of what BG3 will be like.

BG3 is being done by the Divinity Original Sin people.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Yea to be honest the EE content doesn’t feel any different tonally to me than the original content, like at all. And I can’t hear anything about the voice acting that sounds terrible to my ears either.

I think Neera is clearly the goofiest new character, but while she’s spunky and sarcastic, she’s much better written than most of the original female characters, especially the romance options. She’s a foil for Charname to be a hero, but she has agency and does things on her own. She reminds me of Triss from Witcher 3 in some ways. Granted, I don’t think there’s anything in BG, new or not, that is as elevated as the characters in W3. But Neera’s arc where she’s going from naive mage on the run to helping establish a secure hideout for resisting and fighting against the wild mage hunters/Thayans is very similar to Triss’s arc in W3.

There’s lots of player responses that are very sarcastic/funny or what have you, but there’s tons of that poo poo in the original games as well.

I’ve been playing these games regularly since BG1 was a new game on 6CDs, and nothing really stands out to me as “look at me, I’m new content!” with the exception of the new NPCs having generally more content than the originals.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
What bothers me the most about the new BG1 EE content is that the spoken lines sound like they've been recorded inside a tin can.

Oh and how you're forcibly dragged into the Neera recruitment fight without clicking on anyone and no matter what you say. That's really dumb.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I didn’t hear anything that sounded like it was from a tin can, except for one or two NPCs in BG2 in Neera’s refuge.

I do agree about Neera’s recruitment though and don’t care for getting pulled into fights like that. The original games do that a lot as well, but Neera’s is significantly harder than most other unavoidable encounters for the level you’re likely to do it.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

chaosapiant posted:

Yea to be honest the EE content doesn’t feel any different tonally to me than the original content, like at all. And I can’t hear anything about the voice acting that sounds terrible to my ears either.

I think Neera is clearly the goofiest new character, but while she’s spunky and sarcastic, she’s much better written than most of the original female characters, especially the romance options. She’s a foil for Charname to be a hero, but she has agency and does things on her own. She reminds me of Triss from Witcher 3 in some ways. Granted, I don’t think there’s anything in BG, new or not, that is as elevated as the characters in W3. But Neera’s arc where she’s going from naive mage on the run to helping establish a secure hideout for resisting and fighting against the wild mage hunters/Thayans is very similar to Triss’s arc in W3.

Parts of the original BG games were pretty goofy (e.g. Jan) but I don't think there was anything in the originals on the same level of sustained, concentrated zaniness/goofiness as the Wild Mage quest from BG2:EE. All of it sticks out like a sore thumb to me though I appreciate that this is a matter of taste.

Neera also really annoys me as well, but again taste is taste.

Conversely, I think Beamdog did a great job with all of the content in SoD. It all fits together quite nicely.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One thing is that Beamdogs content is much more concentrated. When compared to the breadth of the original game the new content has a higher percentage of “goofy” content for sure. But when I’m playing the game, everything just kinda falls in its place and the new content doesn’t stand out to me. It really only stands out in isolation.

If these characters had been in the original games I don’t think they’d have stood out then at all, with the exception of having more content than other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I do agree about Neera’s recruitment though and don’t care for getting pulled into fights like that. The original games do that a lot as well, but Neera’s is significantly harder than most other unavoidable encounters for the level you’re likely to do it.

I don't follow this, I've done this a dozen times at level 1 just letting autoattack play itself out, the mage at the FAI is more likely to get spells through.