Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Can you try to recruit someone again after denying them once?

Because I was trying to recruit Cyril, and the option said something like "Ask him to go with you?" and I thought it meant asking him to accompany us for the mission that month (it was late and I'm dumb). So I thought "Oh no I must've chosen the wrong option, decline!" and then it said he looked disappointed and the "Recruit" option was grayed out.

Will that come back at some point? Or does he hate me forever now? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ethiser posted:

Can fliers dismount like horse units? If so just do that when near archers. I've got one peg and one wyvern and I haven't had any trouble with arrows taking them out. They have been pretty key in a few of the maps with timed extra objectives.

I've seen the option on pegasus knight Ingrid so yes. Thankfully my Ingrid is actually relatively tanky and can take one arrow hit, and she's fast enough that archers usually only have 40-60% chance to hit her anyway, so she hasn't gotten too terribly done over by murderous archers yet. I'm prepared for this to change late game when archers have ranges approximating ballistic missiles.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Parasol Prophet posted:

Because I was trying to recruit Cyril, and the option said something like "Ask him to go with you?" and I thought it meant asking him to accompany us for the mission that month (it was late and I'm dumb). So I thought "Oh no I must've chosen the wrong option, decline!" and then it said he looked disappointed and the "Recruit" option was grayed out.

You can only recruit once per weekend, that's why people recommend to save before asking in case next weekend they do battle or something.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'd just reload at that point.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Man I hope Jeritza, the man who wears a mask at all times, isn't secretly evil!

e: I'm sure he's not though, if I go to the support list I'm sure he'll be on the list just like all the other supporting characters I've seen so far with portraits!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Tae posted:

You can only recruit once per weekend, that's why people recommend to save before asking in case next weekend they do battle or something.

On the subject of recruiting, is there a quick list anywhere of the students from the three houses with their favored skills/innate abilities? In-game I can only see that info for my own house once I've joined, and I'm going to go ahead and assume there isn't time to persuade every unit from the other houses.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Here https://serenesforest.net/three-houses/

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Regarding the August plot event, BE: if I go to the presumed kidnapper's quarters, will I really be down an entire month? It seems ridiculous to let you lose out on that experience for nothing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I love how the horses in the setting are actually weird fantasy creatures that kind of look like horses. They could've just had horses like every other game in the series up until now, but they went for something more interesting instead.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bogart posted:

Regarding the August plot event, BE: if I go to the presumed kidnapper's quarters, will I really be down an entire month? It seems ridiculous to let you lose out on that experience for nothing.

You can just wait for the last Sunday and do it then. Or maybe even just wait until the final day, I don't know if you even get anything special for accessing it yourself.

Lord Koth posted:

Regarding thieves, does Steal targeting a "non-weapon" allow them to steal equipped stuff like shields? Because that's a potential legitimate reason to keep one around. If not, I kind of agree that they're not terribly necessary - particularly if you pick Blue Lions or poach Ashe.
It does allow you to steal from the Death Knight :getin:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Man I hope Jeritza, the man who wears a mask at all times, isn't secretly evil!

e: I'm sure he's not though, if I go to the support list I'm sure he'll be on the list just like all the other supporting characters I've seen so far with portraits!

The first thing Jeritza said to me when I talked to him is "I care NOTHING for friendship!" so obviously I must make him love me.

If there a list out of the foods and flowers people like?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Gamerofthegame posted:

My biggest complaint about the game is the gender restrictions, really. I'm not so miffed about pegasus knights being gender locked, that's a mythos/running series thing, but dark mages being locked in a game where most of the casters seem to be women is annoying.

If it helps the Master Reason+Faith caster class (Gremory) is female-only.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
So, about Certifications:

Right now my Edelgard is an Armored Knignt. Is there ever any reason to move her (or anyone else) to an equivilant class like Brigand? I don't see that she would learn any other abilities by doing so.

What should I be doing with units that aren't learning any abilities in their current Certification? Start handing them training weapons and changing their goals to be entirely different jobs so they can start amassing skills? Nothing until they level to go up a tier?

I'm playing on Normal Casual so it's not like I need to cross train dudes to fill roles of dead characters.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
chapter 6 and so far i've only recruited cyril

maybe i'm getting close enough to poach dorothea and ashe? but i might have to give up on bernadetta if she's just not interested even with a C rank support. dunno if i'm in trouble so far as recruitment goes

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Dorothea is like the easiest character to poach, and I feel like IS knew exactly what they were doing by giving her a cool hat, easily accessible, and also stronk as hell

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

chapter 6 and so far i've only recruited cyril

maybe i'm getting close enough to poach dorothea and ashe? but i might have to give up on bernadetta if she's just not interested even with a C rank support. dunno if i'm in trouble so far as recruitment goes

From what little I've read it's either meet the stat/ability requirement, or A-rank support to totally negate it. Raising support level lower than A just lowers the required stat totals by a little bit.

That being said, recruitment requirements feel skewed. Feels like more than half of the characters are mages and want some sort of Reason/Faith combination, meanwhile only like two characters want Axes, so your recruitment abilities are going to be significantly slanted based upon what sort of build you're going.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dimitri is a monster truck that walks like a man.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Three Houses: neglecting my student's request to grow closer so I don't miss out on their motivation filling back up.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Leal posted:

Three Houses: neglecting my student's request to grow closer so I don't miss out on their motivation filling back up.

Playing hard to get raises the GPA, alert the board of education.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
do folks have concrete numbers on how high the stats/skill requirements have to be for recruitment?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Leal posted:

A teacher close enough to their students to treat them to dinner but not any friendly is the perfect teacher

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Soul Glo posted:

So, about Certifications:

Right now my Edelgard is an Armored Knignt. Is there ever any reason to move her (or anyone else) to an equivilant class like Brigand? I don't see that she would learn any other abilities by doing so.

What should I be doing with units that aren't learning any abilities in their current Certification? Start handing them training weapons and changing their goals to be entirely different jobs so they can start amassing skills? Nothing until they level to go up a tier?

I'm playing on Normal Casual so it's not like I need to cross train dudes to fill roles of dead characters.

The only things that matter about being in one specific class are:

- stat bonuses
- the class's inherent weaknesses, like bows for flyers (fairly obvious)
- slight bonuses to training the weapons associated with that class
- the abilities inherent to the class that you only have access to while you're in it (like Canto for mounted classes)
- the abilities and/or arts that you get when you master the class, which your character keeps even if you change class (like HP+5 for Commoner and Noble)

The only difference between AK and Brigand (apart from stats and AK's armour weakness) is that mastering the first gets the Armored Blow ability, while the second gives the Death Blow ability. Either are fine, depending on what you need Edelgard to do (I went AK too!), but you probably won't have time to master more than one class before you hit L20 and unlock the advanced classes, which you'll likely want to move into as soon as you can.

Also, the beginner classes have both a mastered ability and a mastered art, but you'll hit L10 in a hurry and the improvement on going up a class tier is just too big to ignore.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
By the way, dismounting gives you +2 SPD.

I'm so glad they took something from FE5 and worked it into something useful.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Got my first level 20's, but the advanced class requirements are too high for me despite mastering my intermediate class. I wouldn't be surprised if an average person not planning out their stats don't get their first advanced class midway through 20's.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Coucho Marx posted:

The only things that matter about being in one specific class are:

- stat bonuses
- the class's inherent weaknesses, like bows for flyers (fairly obvious)
- slight bonuses to training the weapons associated with that class
- the abilities inherent to the class that you only have access to while you're in it (like Canto for mounted classes)
- the abilities and/or arts that you get when you master the class, which your character keeps even if you change class (like HP+5 for Commoner and Noble)

The only difference between AK and Brigand (apart from stats and AK's armour weakness) is that mastering the first gets the Armored Blow ability, while the second gives the Death Blow ability. Either are fine, depending on what you need Edelgard to do (I went AK too!), but you probably won't have time to master more than one class before you hit L20 and unlock the advanced classes, which you'll likely want to move into as soon as you can.

Also, the beginner classes have both a mastered ability and a mastered art, but you'll hit L10 in a hurry and the improvement on going up a class tier is just too big to ignore.

Cool, thanks, so I'll just keep not really worrying about it. I feel like last I played one of the 3DS games I wanted to always be changing classes to learn more abilities.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I lost Mercedes right at the end of the chapter 5 fight and instinctively soft reset before realising that I had divine pulse uses I could have used. :(

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Bogart posted:

It's a little silly because it just ends the month and starts the mission if you go to the kidnapper's quarters, it's the same as if you'd click the day of the story battle in the calendar and chose "skip to date". You don't have to do anything about it, just play the month normally

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Had to burn 3 divine pulses on Sothis's paralogue, yowza. I guess there's a reason why some of these missions have 5-6 months to do them.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

Had to burn 3 divine pulses on Sothis's paralogue, yowza. I guess there's a reason why some of these missions have 5-6 months to do them.

A lot of the paralogues seem to necessitate a test run, where you just play through the map regardless of objectives, and then you restart and do it "correctly". You just need to know the AI behaviors and the gotchas.

Also it looks like dismounting is -2 SPD for pegasus knights. That's weird, that it would be one for cavaliers and the other for pegasus knights.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

inthesto posted:

A lot of the paralogues seem to necessitate a test run, where you just play through the map regardless of objectives, and then you restart and do it "correctly". You just need to know the AI behaviors and the gotchas.

Also it looks like dismounting is -2 SPD for pegasus knights. That's weird, that it would be one for cavaliers and the other for pegasus knights.

peggies usually get hella speed growth bonuses

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Parasol Prophet posted:

Yeah, I accidentally did that too, for the same reason, and they will go with you the next week you ask.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

How do I read the letter Edelgard sent me for my birthday?

Also Edelgard owns and Black Eagle also owns. Seems like she's the most popular character online by a mile, but she consistently explodes fools with that axe.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo I somehow missed the choice for black eagles and I don't have a save for it

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Storehouse option from menu. It's just a line or two, in the description.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Also Edelgard owns and Black Eagle also owns. Seems like she's the most popular character online by a mile, but she consistently explodes fools with that axe.

I can't put my finger on it but Black Eagle seems like the "correct" choice and the other two are more fun side-stories. I have no basis for this assumption in game knowledge (I'm about to start the third month), but Edelgard just seems like the most politically-minded character in a game about politics. Also Edelgard rules but so does pretty much everyone in the house. I was kind of put off during the practice match where you can only use five people and was prepared to let some people fall by the wayside, but I spend the rest of the fights trying to distribute the EXP load and now everyone is at level 4 and my team feels really really solid

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

not a bot posted:

It's a little silly because it just ends the month and starts the mission if you go to the kidnapper's quarters, it's the same as if you'd click the day of the story battle in the calendar and chose "skip to date". You don't have to do anything about it, just play the month normally

Well gently caress, I did this immediately the first week, and saved during mission prep, and the autosave is also after choosing to go in. I can only exit far enough to do certification exams, but not actually back out of the mission.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Also it took me until now to notice, but F!Byleth isn't wearing her overcoat jauntily thrown over her shoulders like a cool gal, she just ripped the sleeves open and punched her arms straight through. Must be all that spiky stuff on her arms.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just got the Byleth/Bernadetta B support, and that's gonna be a yikes from me, dawg

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
This might be the most aggressively gay fire emblem I've played and it's fabulous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Does it matter if the ally unit in chapter 5 suicides into something? Because it keeps happening.