Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Casualties?

Did someone put a huge engine in a hot dog car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

The car is beat to hell and he apparently plans to spend some $10k to get it drivable and another $10k to get it in the kind of condition he actually wants. So he paid $23k plus heaps of interest for the opportunity to rebuild a beater, not for a functional, classic car.

He’s getting it below market value at a price that’s practically getting away with murder!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If you can't trust C.M.O.T. Dibbler's Extremely Used Cars and Meatlike Products All Sales Final, who can you trust?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you can't trust C.M.O.T. Dibbler's Extremely Used Cars and Meatlike Products All Sales Final, who can you trust?

Guaranteed approval! No money down!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

He reuses the grease from the cars to cook the sausages in and he's passing the savings onto you, the consumer!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

colachute posted:

Guaranteed approval! No money down!

I know it’s a Simpsons Reference but this is literally true now.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

colachute posted:

Guaranteed approval? No, money down!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cacafuego posted:

:same:

This isn’t strictly BWM, but it’s BWL and rapidly may become BWM with lawyer fees:

Found out wife was married before me and never divorced

I mean the guy is going through a rough patch for sure, but I'm not sure how he is BWL. It wasn't his fault that his wife didn't mention she never divorced her previous husband.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I mean the guy is going through a rough patch for sure, but I'm not sure how he is BWL. It wasn't his fault that his wife didn't mention she never divorced her previous husband.

Agreed, I’m not saying he put himself in this position, just that this is going to be a ton of $ to get his divorce. I think one of the highest rated comments was to get 2 lawyers for separate cases.

Perhaps it’s not a good thread candidate :shrug:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Agreed, I’m not saying he put himself in this position, just that this is going to be a ton of $ to get his divorce. I think one of the highest rated comments was to get 2 lawyers for separate cases.

Perhaps it’s not a good thread candidate :shrug:

What divorce? They were never married.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Uterine Lineup posted:

AITA for using money we "earmarked" for our 6 month old's college fund to buy back the exact 1972 Ford Bronco I owned as a teenager?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/ci5zhq/aita_for_using_money_we_earmarked_for_our_6_month/

quote:

I made a huge mistake and sold the truck when I turned 19 and my dad died of a heart attack two months later so while not logical, I've always felt a karmic connection between the two events.

Maybe his dad will come back to life in 2 months, that might tip the scales into 'worth it' territory.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Mantle posted:

What divorce? They were never married.

The thread replies seem to indicate California gives him a good faith claim to them being married since he was unaware of the prior marriage. It’s his soon to be ex that is BWM and BWL.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Maybe his dad will come back to life in 2 months, that might tip the scales into 'worth it' territory.
[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt2uIhAvQZ8

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TraderStav posted:

God I hope it was one of the early 20s youtubers my son watches.

So, did you shell out $50 so he could watch the wedding?

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/jake-paul-tana-mongeau-mocked-charging-money-watch-wedding-livestream-853812

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Man, I wish I was this gwm.

I wonder if they'll also be able to sell the divorce in a few years? Maybe fundraise to pay their lawyers?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 29, 2019

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
Got a quickie car chat.

Have a facebook acquaintance that provides some occasional entertainment as she is a 34 year old that still thinks she's 19.

Her car has gotten old and instead of throwing money into fixing the A/C she has decided to get a new car. She went to down to Subaru to custom order a Crosstrek exactly how she wanted it.

I guess during her research she forgot to see where the car was actually assembled. Here's a hint. It's not at the only Subaru Assembly plant in the US which is in Indiana.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
uhh usually the dealer gives you an estimated lead time and it's in months

also i find it very strange to custom order a mass produced car with a limited options list, there had to be a couple with her config running around the US and dealer trades are common

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Some people like to custom order poo poo just to custom order poo poo. Either that or because they want a specific combination.

Frankly I’m pretty OK with that. If I’m dropping 20k+ on a thing specifying exactly what combo of trim, color, features etc I want should be standard. It’s kind of nuts that our car buying model is “see what is on the lot.” It’s a car, you shouldn’t need (as in NEED) one today, they should all be made to order. Like, why the gently caress can’t I go to ford.com or wherever and navigate a bunch of drop down menus to dial in exactly what poo poo I want? Think the basic loving standard you can do on every laptop manufacturer website.

Oh yeah, because a bunch of dealership lobbies to had legislation passed prohibiting direct sales from manufacturers. :argh:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The funny part is she'll get her new car with a functioning air conditioner by the time it's Winter.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The funny part is she'll get her new car with a functioning air conditioner by the time it's Winter.

It's been a brutal loving summer here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You totally can do that! She did custom order it. It's just uh maybe not reasonable to expect a company to build a car and ship it to your local dealer from loving Japan in seven weeks. If she wanted it earlier, she could have gotten exactly what she wanted through the normal process. Crosstrek comes in 9 colors, three trim levels and two transmission options, and the option for a moonroof and they sell 10-15k a month, so the configuration you want is readily available somewhere in the market or already in transit. Dealer trades are possible, you may incur some small costs but they're possible. Dealer allocation from in transit is easy.

I'm pro direct sales from manufacturers but people have to realize that you're going to remove all of the ability to negotiate price and that you'll pay MSRP less any incentives the manufacturer chooses to offer. If you want a nice clean car buying experience today you can pretty much already get that by going in to a dealer and offering to pay MSRP less factory incentives no questions asked.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You're missing the important part dude, she is far too special to buy a car that's already been manufactured without any personal input from her.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm pro direct sales from manufacturers but people have to realize that you're going to remove all of the ability to negotiate price and that you'll pay MSRP less any incentives the manufacturer chooses to offer. If you want a nice clean car buying experience today you can pretty much already get that by going in to a dealer and offering to pay MSRP less factory incentives no questions asked.

I custom ordered a Saturn (humblebrag, I know) which was alright because the factory was 500 miles away and you were already paying MSRP.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

L

This is a feature, not a bug. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck haggling forever. Tell me what your product costs and I will price compare it with competitors and buy the one that has a ratio of features and cost that I’m comfortable with.

I don’t haggle when I buy toothpaste. I don’t haggle when I buy computer parts. I don’t haggle when I buy a cell phone plan. The only time I do haggle is when I’m buying used poo poo at a pawn shop or flea market or online or whatever.

Haggling on a car is insane and pisses me off to no end.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is a feature, not a bug. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck haggling forever. Tell me what your product costs and I will price compare it with competitors and buy the one that has a ratio of features and cost that I’m comfortable with.

I don’t haggle when I buy toothpaste. I don’t haggle when I buy computer parts. I don’t haggle when I buy a cell phone plan. The only time I do haggle is when I’m buying used poo poo at a pawn shop or flea market or online or whatever.

One of the absolute best features of a Costco membership is the Costco Auto Buying Program because you can see exactly what the dealer invoice on any given car is including options - giving you a pretty good price to drive for. Like dealers definitely get hold-back from the manufacturer, and if you're an incredibly good and patient negotiator buying a totally generic and poorly-selling car you can definitely pay under invoice, but knowing invoice price (versus MSRP) is a great piece of information.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

crazypeltast52 posted:

The thread replies seem to indicate California gives him a good faith claim to them being married since he was unaware of the prior marriage. It’s his soon to be ex that is BWM and BWL.

Also if she thought she was divorced this would make her second marriage valid. In many states to get a marriage certificate they ask if you are divorced from any previous marriage and sometimes ask for proof. Good faith claim on her part as well.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

Paying sticker on a car is BWM, though. I paid 6K under MSRP on a $31k vehicle with some basic haggling. It took me maybe 5 hours of my life, so that's a pretty good ROI.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If I still work where I am at my next car might be a Ford just because of the X-plan:

Ford

Dealer Invoice - (0.4% * Dealer Invoice) + Administration Fee* (see sample invoice)

The AF is $275.

We also have a Subaru deal with a local dealership which was super easy to get a good price.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

spwrozek posted:

If I still work where I am at my next car might be a Ford just because of the X-plan:

Ford

Dealer Invoice - (0.4% * Dealer Invoice) + Administration Fee* (see sample invoice)

The AF is $275.

We also have a Subaru deal with a local dealership which was super easy to get a good price.
Cool.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

One of the absolute best features of a Costco membership is the Costco Auto Buying Program because you can see exactly what the dealer invoice on any given car is including options - giving you a pretty good price to drive for. Like dealers definitely get hold-back from the manufacturer, and if you're an incredibly good and patient negotiator buying a totally generic and poorly-selling car you can definitely pay under invoice, but knowing invoice price (versus MSRP) is a great piece of information.

Holdback is a HUGE amount of profit on many cars. Most volume dealerships won't actually break even unless they sell enough units to qualify for holdback for the brands that do it that way.

This leads to not actually knowing how much what they are selling is going to cost them. It costs one thing if they sell say....40 this month, which they can probably do, but it's going to cost them something else if they don't.

It's a truly hosed up system that is opaque to the customer and still murky to the dealer.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Ford

The AF is $275.

YM 99.6% * Dealer Invoice + Administration Fee :science:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's a truly hosed up system that is opaque to the customer and still murky to the dealer.

Hahaha, yes, but enough about the American health care system

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

Holdback is a HUGE amount of profit on many cars. Most volume dealerships won't actually break even unless they sell enough units to qualify for holdback for the brands that do it that way.

This leads to not actually knowing how much what they are selling is going to cost them. It costs one thing if they sell say....40 this month, which they can probably do, but it's going to cost them something else if they don't.

I just settle on invoice. I know there's probably a better deal but there are diminishing returns to investing my time past "cost."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
This American Life shadowed a Long Island car dealership for a couple of days and it's truly a miserable experience for everyone involved.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/513/129-cars

I guess switching to a more transparent system would also increase MSRP so no one does it. As it stands dealerships have to make all their money in financing and fees or the kind of suckers who entertain us day after day.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Wafer posted:

This American Life shadowed a Long Island car dealership for a couple of days and it's truly a miserable experience for everyone involved.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/513/129-cars

I guess switching to a more transparent system would also increase MSRP so no one does it. As it stands dealerships have to make all their money in financing and fees or the kind of suckers who entertain us day after day.

I know that this is salesjobs.txt but man, working in that industry sounds like a nightmare.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I don't think this even needs context:

quote:

Is financing an engagement ring a bad idea?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I'm actually trying to find numbers on how many people finance engagement rings because I bet it's terrifying

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The thing you are negotiating over is the amount of money a middleman with an unusual legal hedge around their business will get paid for selling you a car, it is not a positive aspect of the transaction and definitely results in you paying more for the car than you would with direct sales even if you are a great negotiator.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Spokes posted:

I'm actually trying to find numbers on how many people finance engagement rings because I bet it's terrifying

My buddy's dumb wife ALWAYS complains about her engagement ring. They're 35 and been married 13 years, 2 kids, times are good. Back in the day he spent the only $500 he had to his name on a little tiny diamond for her, and even 13 years later she goes off on him for not knowing "you can get a diamond on a payment plan!!"

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My buddy's dumb wife ALWAYS complains about her engagement ring. They're 35 and been married 13 years, 2 kids, times are good. Back in the day he spent the only $500 he had to his name on a little tiny diamond for her, and even 13 years later she goes off on him for not knowing "you can get a diamond on a payment plan!!"

:laugh:

I shudder what to think jewelry aprs are like.

And then I begin to wonder if jewelry CDOs are possible.