Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

1 The implication of the post above with the GPS system etc. for tracking tailgaters isn't for bumper to bumper traffic because of an accident or whatever your fantasy is. Do you need someone to talk to about this obviously life defining harrowing jerk honking at you in a traffic jam?
2 If I'm doing burnouts i'm obviously not exactly too concerned about MPG or tire tread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CarForumPoster posted:

IANAL and your idea is truly poo poo and you are a snitch rear end motherfucker.

That said, I'm an engineer and generally yes those components could possibly add up to something that would do the function you think it would.

Yes, you are overlooking multiple legal issues (in the USA) that would prevent the police and courts for doing anything with the data you gathered. Some of those that'd be argued or are facially obvious: You're using a bunch of uncalibrated devices, with unchecked, untested source code, with undocumented and uncorrected noise, from a source (you) that almost certainly doesn't meet whatever chain of custody requirements that area has.

I'm sure the real life lawyers can come up with much better and less made up legal reasons as well.

No you did a pretty good job. Also lol at people telling on random drivers. The real solution is to brake check that fuckhead and sue him if he rear-ends you.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Will there also be a camera with image processing to detect people giving you the finger?

Lol this is a real thing: https://www.officer.com/command-hq/technology/traffic/article/10233968/laser-device-takes-on-tailgating

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

blarzgh posted:

Seriously; we're in bumper-to-bumper traffic and there is a semi-truck ON FIRE on the other side of the highway how the gently caress do you think weaving your car at 2mph, 6 inches from my bumper, and loving HONKING YOUR HORN AT THE 1000 CARS IN FRONT OF US is going to accomplish anything?

I was trying to get you to notice you'd left your pet carrier door open on your roof :smith:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

DreadLlama posted:

I have a question about section 158 of the Highway Traffic Act in Ontario, Canada.

Let's say I hypothetically own an arduino, gps, usim, camera, and lidar module. It is technically possible to pull my own vehicles speed from the gps, and the distance to an other vehicle from the lidar module.* If the lidar module were mounted on my back bumper along with a camera, I should be able to create an image of a following vehicle's license plate along with a watermark about their distance and our mutual speed - which could be texted to the local police.

Questions:
Is there a formalized table of speed vs distance that specifies the cutoff between tailgating and not tailgating?
Am I overlooking anything that would prevent this from working from a legal standpoint? I know there were a few years in Ontario where we didn't have photoradar.

gently caress the haters man. you build your LIDAR tail gate detection machine and keep us updated on what happens from there.

Texting the plates to the police using an automated system is likely a violation of the TCPA tho

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Thank you all of you that have given me starting points. It turns out on a prior bill, for something else, I was sent by the hospital there was fine print on the back of it stating that payment of the bill is consent to open a line of credit with shitlorde bank.

What the gently caress?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

blarzgh posted:

Seriously; we're in bumper-to-bumper traffic and there is a semi-truck ON FIRE on the other side of the highway how the gently caress do you think weaving your car at 2mph, 6 inches from my bumper, and loving HONKING YOUR HORN AT THE 1000 CARS IN FRONT OF US is going to accomplish anything?

Oh I'm SORRY I thought this was AMERICA!

I still think the funniest part of this story is citizen-policing tailgaters and presumably submitting the evidence to police in the hopes they'll give a gently caress -- that's the biggest stretch for me. But maybe police in Canadialand are different. :iiam:

Azuth0667 posted:

Thank you all of you that have given me starting points. It turns out on a prior bill, for something else, I was sent by the hospital there was fine print on the back of it stating that payment of the bill is consent to open a line of credit with shitlorde bank.

What the gently caress?

That's kind of what I figured, tl;dr I guess is that you consented -- I would still be mad as gently caress though. And that still sounds kind of shady to me, because in my mind, with no evidence or justification whatsoever, the hospital is getting a kickback from the bank for this policy and I don't like that. That kind of poo poo is way way outside my legal wheelhouse though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

blarzgh posted:

If you get around me, you're just going to have to tailgate the car in front of me who's doing the same speed, you psychopath.

That car should move over too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Have you considered you are being tailgated because you are driving like poo poo ?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I don't understand am I supposed to refuse to pay the bill then because there's no option to pay without consenting to a line of credit?

Also aren't there way more things you have to do and bring up to someone before they can open a line of credit? Whenever I sign up for a store card to take advantage of a no interest period there's always some sort of contract I have to sign and a bunch of papers they go over with me. My previous two auto loans had stupid amounts of paperwork and the mortgage had a books worth of paperwork.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If everyone who was “not passing” would leave the “passing lane” then there wouldn’t be so many issues !

Trucks now sit in the left lane tho it’s maddening

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

euphronius posted:

If everyone who was “not passing” would leave the “passing lane” then there wouldn’t be so many issues !

Loud pipes don't save lives, but they sure as poo poo can startle someone going too slow in the passing lane.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

euphronius posted:

That's the law* in Texas and it's always funny to see out of state people get pulled over for it.

*on divided highways where posted

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's the law* in Texas and it's always funny to see out of state people get pulled over for it.

*on divided highways where posted

I've never seen anyone get pulled over for cruising in the left lane even with the left lane for passing only posted signs.

Azuth0667 posted:

What the gently caress?
I feel like we are probably missing something without seeing the actual language, but that seems like something to report to your state AG and the CFPB if it is how you described it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

EwokEntourage posted:

I've never seen anyone get pulled over for cruising in the left lane even with the left lane for passing only posted signs.

I feel like we are probably missing something without seeing the actual language, but that seems like something to report to your state AG and the CFPB if it is how you described it

I have. I also know a number of out of state drivers that have personally gotten pulled over and ticketed for it because driving in the left lane only is acceptable in Florida but TX highway patrol says gently caress that.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

The statement is literally:

quote:

In this welcome kit you will find your first statement that shows your monthly minimum payment. To activate your <lovely line of credit> account and become a <lovely line of credit> member, simply make your first payment to <lovely line of credit> either by mail, phone or online. The program is voluntary and there is no application required to participate.

There was never a welcome kit.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have. I also know a number of out of state drivers that have personally gotten pulled over and ticketed for it because driving in the left lane only is acceptable in Florida but TX highway patrol says gently caress that.

I’ve seen cops on COPS use it as a pretext to stop “certain people” they know are otherwise behaving badly, for sure

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Azuth0667 posted:

The statement is literally:

There was never a welcome kit.

Did you make a payment to shittybank? If not there is no line of credit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

What the gently caress?

As a Canadian, I have to say this is maybe the most American thing I have ever seen.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

All of the payments I've made have been through the hospital's payment gateway or checks written to the hospital.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Azuth0667 posted:

All of the payments I've made have been through the hospital's payment gateway or checks written to the hospital.

I don't know the amount in question, but it's time to talk to an attorney in your area if you want resolution. I don't know enough about the total circumstances or the laws in your state, but I know a general predatory/deceptive arrangement when I see one. I have never worked on a case like this specifically, but there are tons of alarms going off in my head at this point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I would note that when it comes to sketchy as all loving hell practices at something like a hospital, a call to a local news reporter may be quite effective and free! I'd talk to the lawyer first though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Report it to the FDIC, as well. I feel like that would run afowl of the Unfair or Deceptive Practices Act, but IANAL.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If I live in a state that doesn't allow businesses to pass credit card processing fees on to me as a customer, but I'm buying something online from a retailer in another state that does allow fees to be passed on to the customer, which laws are applicable?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Have you considered you are being tailgated because you are driving like poo poo ?

Have you wondered whether you are tailgating because you are, in fact, the poo poo driver?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Have you wondered whether you are tailgating because you are, in fact, the poo poo driver?

haha no friend you see it's actually you, the slow driver, that is bad. I know this because I personally have never had an accident so it must be true.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
I wonder how many people use that argument to try and argue their way out of traffic infringements?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lobsterpillar posted:

I wonder how many people use that argument to try and argue their way out of traffic infringements?

Not as many as you'd think.

Top 5 Things People Say to try to get out of a Ticket:
1. I was going the speed limit/I thought the speed limit was XX (spoiler: they weren't/it wasn't)
2. I've never had a ticket before in my life. (this is kind of the same, I guess)
3. I was going the same speed as everyone else. (spoiler: they weren't)
4. I have a very nebulous, most likely made up, and not very important "emergency." (spoiler: its as false as it is uninteresting and unconvincing.)
5. You must have clocked that other guy who was driving fast. (spoiler: there was no other guy)

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

kedo posted:

If I live in a state that doesn't allow businesses to pass credit card processing fees on to me as a customer, but I'm buying something online from a retailer in another state that does allow fees to be passed on to the customer, which laws are applicable?

Within the US, typically the law of the state that the company you are buying from is applied (the place they are incorporated or the place they are based).

The "no surcharge" laws have been successfully challenged in NY and CA, and the Supreme Court just recently kicked the question back down to the states; I wouldn't expect such statutes to survive much longer.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

If your response to someone 'driving like poo poo' is to increase the risk if serious injury to both then and you, then you are a petulant child.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm not really sure that the people getting high and mighty because they drive in a way that impedes good traffic flow and increases the number of merges and passes on the right drivers make because they're simply too lazy or obstinate to drive efficiently have much of a moral high ground over the people deliberately driving poorly due to their frustration with the former group.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
There's a big difference between some clown tailgating in a residential zone because they want to drive 45 mph in a school zone and an idiot driving in the left lane on the freeway going the exact speed limit or lower.

I make sure to do both to cover my bases.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CongoJack posted:

There's a big difference between some clown tailgating in a residential zone because they want to drive 45 mph in a school zone and an idiot driving in the left lane on the freeway going the exact speed limit or lower.

I make sure to do both to cover my bases.

My favorite is living near a hilly stretch of I10 where the limit is 80mph. People will chug up the hills going <70 and then fly down the hills at >90. So they end up passing me and getting passed in an endless cycle or I get stuck behind them because of the 18wheelers in the right lane that are going even slower.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Legal Questions: Stop Driving or Lawyer Goons Will Kill You and Sacrifice Your Soul to Khorne

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Tailgating talk is truly the sorting hat of this thread; everyone is being outed as either the latest DLC character from Twisted Metal, or a 137 year old farmer who has to take their "horse-less carriage" to town once a month to trade dried beans for salt pork.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Australian Law question:

The Department of Health website (in a section about confidentiality for health workers) states that "All people (except clergy, medical practitioners and legal advisers) are required to give the police any information they may have about a serious crime including arson, murder, assault and sexual assault."

It doesn't cite any specific law to justify this statement - could anyone link to be relevant Australian legislation or case law about this?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Australian Law question:

The Department of Health website (in a section about confidentiality for health workers) states that "All people (except clergy, medical practitioners and legal advisers) are required to give the police any information they may have about a serious crime including arson, murder, assault and sexual assault."

It doesn't cite any specific law to justify this statement - could anyone link to be relevant Australian legislation or case law about this?

Random Australian Legal Blog from googling:

https://www.sydneycriminallawyers.com.au/blog/is-it-ever-against-the-law-not-to-report-an-alleged-crime/

quote:

According to the NSW Crimes Act, ‘concealing a serious indictable offence’ is a crime in certain circumstances.

Under section 316, anyone who knows or believes that a serious indictable offence has been committed and has material information that could assist with the apprehension or prosecution or conviction of the offender must bring that information to the attention of police or another appropriate body.

A serious indictable offence is one that comes with a maximum penalty of 5 years or more and includes a wide-range of offences, such as:

Larceny (stealing) including stealing from an employer,
Break & enter,
Most assaults,
Most drug charges (but not drug possession) and
Fraud

The failure to any report such an offence, without a reasonable excuse, comes with a maximum penalty of 2 years’ imprisonment.

An exception to this rule is where the information was received while acting in a certain ‘prescribed profession’, which includes as a lawyer, doctor, nurse, psychologist, social worker, clergy, arbitrator, mediator etc.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Thanks, that's interesting. In Victoria's Crimes ACT it looks like there's only a "Concealing offences for benefit" charge, not a general "Concealing a serious offense"-style one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Australian Law question:

I don't know how kangaroo law works but I bet there is something in your CFR-equivalent that accounts for attorney-client privilege and other special privileges. Aussies are a common law institution as well so it's gotta be in there. Anyway yeah, privilege is where I'd start.