Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

To be honest, how many do you need? Your deployment count seems to stay mostly the same for most missions and until you can start having more than one adjunct it feels like picking up too many extra poaches just means leaving people on the bench.

You are absolutely leaving people on the bench, you're replacing people you don't like on your house with better people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Okay can I just say it's pretty lame how (start of chapter 9) your dad is all like "well poo poo guess I gotta tell you about how you're really a time anomaly from outer space or whatever the secret about you is, come talk to me the first chance you get" at the end of the battle at the end of the last chapter, and then immediately gets whisked off to a mission and can't tell you what was so important... despite there being an entire week of time in between these two events? Come on, there was plenty of time! Argh. What's worse this is raising so many death flags it's not even funny.

Let's keep playing and I guess I'll see...

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hot fishing tips:

--First, don't be immediately put off like I was, fishing in this game is a simple rhythm game and moreover, it doesn't take up any free time. Given that pretty early on, you can unlock a merchant who sells you fish bait and restocks it monthly, this is essentially a way to turn money into Professor Experience. Especially early on, this is huge, considering you can forage a fair amount of bait by being fastidious in your in-monastery pickups.

--There's three rarities of fish: blue, red, gold, in increasing value. You don't want to take blue fish unless you don't have a choice, and you ignore the first and second nibbles if the fish shadow is blue. It seems like most bait has three 'nibbles' in it, so if you haven't gotten a red or gold by the third nibble, just take the blue, it's still experience. It's also not worth giving up a red on the hopes of a gold.

--For me personally, it feels like being a little late on reeling in the fish is better than being early; or at least, when I went for that, I got more Perfects than Goods. Getting a full Perfect streak seems to increase the rarity of the fish you pull in, so it's worth trying at least.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 28, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

eonwe posted:

gotta say missing the choice to stick with Edelgard really killed my interest in the black eagles line

I'm not very far in, is this easy to miss?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
It was so bullshit how (I don't remember the number of the chapter I think it's 10 or 11) when Jeralt dies you only get to rewind time once in the cutscene to try and save him. Come on Sothis, I've got 8 charges left!

Chocolate Bunny fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 28, 2019

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bogart posted:

--There's three rarities of fish: blue, red, gold, in increasing value. You don't want to take blue fish unless you don't have a choice, and you ignore the first and second nibbles if the fish shadow is blue. It seems like most bait has three 'nibbles' in it, so if you haven't gotten a red or gold by the third nibble, just take the blue, it's still experience. It's also not worth giving up a red on the hopes of a gold.

There are actually five! There are two blue ones, one of which has a smaller icon and I think is a little darker. These are small fish, and the bigger blue icon is for large ones. Then red for giant, yellow for glimmering, and rainbow at highest difficulty. I think the rainbow fish only show up on Fish of Mystery days. I failed the catch the only time I saw one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Please keep in mind to put some context to what your spoiler is about, like, pre/post timeskip, or chapter, or month, or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

I'm not very far in, is this easy to miss?
just get your support levels with edelgard and hubert high and talk to edelgard whenever you're in the monastery once you hit the second year (january/february)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow I just realised you can actually play the game in the furthest zoomed-in view. You know, if you want to see none of the map and also move the cursor very slowly. I guess it does look kind of neat seeing your whole armies move around.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Lol, Claude's ancestral holy weapon is named Failnaught.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Endorph posted:

just get your support levels with edelgard and hubert high and talk to edelgard whenever you're in the monastery once you hit the second year (january/february)

My support level with Edelgard stopped at C+ and says I can't advance it yet, is this a problem?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Of course it isn't, that's code for "this support event will reference plot events so it can't happen yet"

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Okay look, I just finished chapter 3's foggy mission and god I wish the church being hilariously evil wasn't so heavy handed. "Why yes we should kill our own people if they do not believe in our cause :)" like... what the gently caress is this writing.

Loroto: The witch is lying to you! You're being fooled!
Catherine: Haha b l o o d I LOVE killing CHILDREN
My MC: Hmmm Catherine seems to be in the right here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Okay, as a very important PSA, for those of you on the Black Eagels Route and wanting to actually be able to make the choice yourselves, here is what you have to do to have the alternate route unlock.

Beyond having a high support with both Hubert and Edelgard, And having talked with Edelgard previously expressed a desire to side with/protect her, you must explore on the 8th of Feburary and Talk to Edelgard. You may be able to do this earlier or later, but it must be before the holy tomb visit. Edelgard will say that she needs to go to the capital and asks you to come along. You will be told this is a DRASTIC DECISION THAT WILL CHANGE THE STORY. If you go with her, you have the option of remaining on the Chaos/Edelgard Route. If you do not, you will be locked into the Rhea Route.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
ok poached dorothea, and she's the first unit i have an available B rank with

hilariously that's probably because i glued her to byleth for two months' worth of battles

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

who the heck is ‘byleth’ lol. there is only The Professor

It's really weird when even the other professors, who all refer to each other by name, refer to you as Professor.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do adjutants get support points? That would simplify my trying to get points with Benadette.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rannum posted:

It's really weird when even the other professors, who all refer to each other by name, refer to you as Professor.

None of them were listening when you were introduced and now they are too embarassed to ask.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Is there any kinda list of Paralogue chapter rewards around? I'm getting close to them expiring now and there's 5 of them left for me.

Tales of the Red Canyon (Sothis)
Falling Short of Heaven (Ashe, Catherine)
Rumored Nuptials (Ingrid, Dorothea)
Death Toll (Raphael, Ignatz)
An Ocean View (Flayn, Seteth)

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
goddamn just got to the cutscene where Dimitri totally goes off his rocker it's hilarious :shepface:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

Okay, as a very important PSA, for those of you on the Black Eagels Route and wanting to actually be able to make the choice yourselves, here is what you have to do to have the alternate route unlock.

Beyond having a high support with both Hubert and Edelgard, And having talked with Edelgard previously expressed a desire to side with/protect her, you must explore on the 8th of Feburary and Talk to Edelgard. You may be able to do this earlier or later, but it must be before the holy tomb visit. Edelgard will say that she needs to go to the capital and asks you to come along. You will be told this is a DRASTIC DECISION THAT WILL CHANGE THE STORY. If you go with her, you have the option of remaining on the Chaos/Edelgard Route. If you do not, you will be locked into the Rhea Route.

Thank you for this. I'll probably do the Rhea route first since it looks like the default. Then my final path through the game, whenever that is, will be CHAOS

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Gardening can also give items that boost stats permantently.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

RoyalScion posted:

goddamn just got to the cutscene where Dimitri totally goes off his rocker it's hilarious :shepface:

Dimitri becoming a combination Punished Snake and Kaz is hilarious. Because the more you learn the more you know he was bugfuck crazy to begin with.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I am this close to permanently benching Caspar. Been building him as a punchy boy, but his stats suck and I hate him.

Caspar: lovely nobility.
Shamir: cute, commoner, has A rank bow skill.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bogart posted:

I am this close to permanently benching Caspar. Been building him as a punchy boy, but his stats suck and I hate him.

Mine refuses to get a strength up. Also he's a dumbass in supports.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jesus, I haven't figured out why yet, but Felix sure has a lot of anger towards Dimitri.

Dimitri: Hello Felix, how are you-
Felix: gently caress you forever!

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Just started playing this game and it is indeed loving great. I picked Golden Deer, in part because it has the most commoners. I just got the ability to bring along a student from a rival house into battle. I’m thinking about deliberately getting some of these noble scum killed. Is there any reason not to do that? I currently have that smug prick Ferdinand at like 2 HP, on the front line...

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Jesus, I haven't figured out why yet, but Felix sure has a lot of anger towards Dimitri.

i dont know if the monthly dialog changes between routes but on BE Felix is just constantly going "gently caress that lovely boar prince"

like chill my dude, even hubert isn't that bad and he's actively threatened assassination against me multiple times

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That’s why I was fine with it when my Felix ate it in the mausoleum.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

RealFoxy posted:

Is there any kinda list of Paralogue chapter rewards around? I'm getting close to them expiring now and there's 5 of them left for me.

Tales of the Red Canyon (Sothis)
Falling Short of Heaven (Ashe, Catherine)
Rumored Nuptials (Ingrid, Dorothea)
Death Toll (Raphael, Ignatz)
An Ocean View (Flayn, Seteth)

You will absolutely want to do the Ingrid/Dorothea paralogue.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

rannum posted:

i dont know if the monthly dialog changes between routes but on BE Felix is just constantly going "gently caress that lovely boar prince"

like chill my dude, even hubert isn't that bad and he's actively threatened assassination against me multiple times

oh man if you think that's bad just wait until you see Dedue and Felix's

Felix literally starts out with "Hello dog" with the most disdain dripping from his gross loving face

edit: Felix is the absolute worst my god

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 28, 2019

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I mean seriously, there should be a game mechanic where if you're playing as the Golden Deers or the Black Eagles Felix will join your house after talking to him once because it feels like he is just DESPERATE to betray Dimitri.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This is a general spoiler question about the games tone. I just need a tiny bit more than a yes or no really.

Am I supposed to be playing as a villain in this game or is there a "good" route. People putting up spoiler bars with basically no context has lead me to think that I'm in the wrong mindset of trying to be a good person

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ferdinand kind of owns because yes, he is that noble, but he also is full on on 'all you dippy-rear end nobles need to look better, all the commoners are looking up to us, get your poo poo straight!'

e: Any of y'all know the right warp pad to go into to get the chest in The Underground Chamber? I think it's BE 6?

ee: It's top middle. Top left takes you to the switch that turns off special tiles. For the record, you want what's in this chest. Holy moly.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 28, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Okay look, I just finished chapter 3's foggy mission and god I wish the church being hilariously evil wasn't so heavy handed. "Why yes we should kill our own people if they do not believe in our cause :)" like... what the gently caress is this writing.

Loroto: The witch is lying to you! You're being fooled!
Catherine: Haha b l o o d I LOVE killing CHILDREN
My MC: Hmmm Catherine seems to be in the right here.

Honestly I like it because it feels like it's actually a written part of the religion. All the characters who are super religious are pretty callous about death, it feels like an actual worldbuilding detail and not something that's meant to be some kind of dark secret. Which is kind of how violent religions in the real world actually operated. The crusades were celebrated, not hidden away.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is a general spoiler question about the games tone. I just need a tiny bit more than a yes or no really.

Am I supposed to be playing as a villain in this game or is there a "good" route. People putting up spoiler bars with basically no context has lead me to think that I'm in the wrong mindset of trying to be a good person

(questions about routes) There is no specific good route and there is no specific bad route. Life is complicated.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Endorph posted:

Honestly I like it because it feels like it's actually a written part of the religion. All the characters who are super religious are pretty callous about death, it feels like an actual worldbuilding detail and not something that's meant to be some kind of dark secret. Which is kind of how violent religions in the real world actually operated. The crusades were celebrated, not hidden away.

for real, (early Blue Lions path spoilers, maybe like chapter 5?) having literally the nicest human being in the entire game, Mercedes, all of a sudden go "well if they didn't want to be slaughtered they wouldn't have rebelled against the church" was a real holy poo poo moment, but it's a very apt depiction of someone who is really nice and kind but also grew up in a church that leads them to say poo poo like "oh all gay people are going to hell" with a smile on their face.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Here's a general breakdown of the routes

Think of this game as a Megaten game. There is a Law, Chaos and Neutral route. The Chaos route defaults to not putting you on Chaos. So you have to go out of your way to be the bad guy, but there is a bad guy route. If you want the purest heroic just goodboy route, then you should probably go Claude. If you want a heroic route with a lot of emotional baggage Dimitri's wonderful PTSD adventures If you want to be the villain Edelgard

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

If you told me the game was bugged and they were going to release a patch to fix every level up being the absolute loving worst I'd believe you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bogart posted:

Ferdinand kind of owns because yes, he is that noble, but he also is full on on 'all you dippy-rear end nobles need to look better, all the commoners are looking up to us, get your poo poo straight!'
Ferdie is also a huge dork who doesn't know why people hate him when he goes all super extravagant on everything he does. I love him

Bogart posted:

You fool, you've yet to unlock Caspar's true power (super minor unit spoilers if you expand this image)

He does have the lowest BST on my team but boy does he makes those stats count!