Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Clark Nova posted:

If you're handy you can replace your screen/digitizer for like $30 to hold you over until the new phones come out. It requires the proprietary apple screwdriver and a spudge but no glue-melting shenanigans

Yeah, as long as it doesn’t have the touch IC failure, this screen, two screwdrivers, and a spudger or other pry tool (a guitar pick would probably work) and you’re back in business.

Disconnect the battery first so you don’t accidentally fry anything, and be careful with the home button cable because if you tear that, Touch ID is broken forever. Anything else can be replaced if it gets damaged, but the 6/6+ are the second easiest iPhone screens. Only ones easier are the 5/5C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

FaceID works through my hockey helmet cage, which is both cool and scary because it makes me think FaceID is about as secure as taping passwords to a monitor.

What the? Mine doesn’t. Did you add your helmeted face somehow?

e: oh I see. Set up an alternate appearance button. Curious if you used that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What the? Mine doesn’t. Did you add your helmeted face somehow?

e: oh I see. Set up an alternate appearance button. Curious if you used that?

No, I just pull the phone back further and tilt my face a bit. It's not perfect but it eventually works.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dissss posted:

Except it’s still more expensive than the 7 Plus (or 8 Plus) was at launch.

Uh, no it isn’t. The iPhone 7+ was $769 and the 8+ was $799 at launch. And those were both 32gb configs.

The XR is $749 for 64gb, it’s cheaper and has double the storage space

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 26, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jet black was so good

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FCKGW posted:

Uh, no it isn’t. The iPhone 7+ was $769 and the 8+ was $799 at launch. And those were both 32gb configs.

The XR is $749 for 64gb, it’s cheaper and has double the storage space

The iPhone 8/8 Plus never came in a 32GB config. Anyway I was wrong on prices, it was true in my market but that’s likely down to currency shifts.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Endless Mike posted:

Jet black was so good

479 dollars is a small price to pay for style! https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...f7032b02a06c3ca

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I’m abroad right now andantes using s temporary foreign SIM card. My phone is prompting me to “change Apple ID phone number”. Would it be bad to do this or can I just do this and then switch right back when I get home and put my original SIM back in?

Also is this why iMessage appears not to work?

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.
Holy cow was this always in the beta? If not amazing addition.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay seriously how do I open a tab in the background now in iOS 13? I’ve tried every variation of the two finger tap people talk about but nothing works. Why did they take away that option? I don’t get it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Okay seriously how do I open a tab in the background now in iOS 13? I’ve tried every variation of the two finger tap people talk about but nothing works. Why did they take away that option? I don’t get it.

This only started happening in the latest beta, so submit feedback and hope its a temporary fuckup instead of a permanent, intentional hobbling

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don’t get notch hate. It’s a spot to shove your HUD elements into. I would like to prioritize what shows up there (like when my airpods are connected hide like, battery life to show the headphone symbol), but otherwise it’s fine?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Purr Objectives posted:

Holy cow was this always in the beta? If not amazing addition.

So I’m confused are they completely abandoning 3D Touch or what? Are features like that going to be around for a while or will they eventually be patched out or some such?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So I’m confused are they completely abandoning 3D Touch or what? Are features like that going to be around for a while or will they eventually be patched out or some such?

3D touch is disappearing and that's the new long-press menu for non-3d touch capable devices.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

FCKGW posted:

3D touch is disappearing and that's the new long-press menu for non-3d touch capable devices.

it's present on all devices, 3d touch or not.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Purr Objectives posted:

BuT tHe NoTcH 😭😭

Out of curiosity, if you measure the screen height starting where the notch ends, what is the aspect ratio of the phone?

Officially, the Xr is 19.5:9, but that's with the rabbit ears. What is it if you don't include them?

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.

Mister Facetious posted:

Out of curiosity, if you measure the screen height starting where the notch ends, what is the aspect ratio of the phone?

Officially, the Xr is 19.5:9, but that's with the rabbit ears. What is it if you don't include them?

Who cares?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

well.. you're pleasant

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pants Donkey posted:

I don’t get notch hate. It’s a spot to shove your HUD elements into. I would like to prioritize what shows up there (like when my airpods are connected hide like, battery life to show the headphone symbol), but otherwise it’s fine?

I think for the most part it comes from people without notched phones. Its absolutely not something I pay attention to whatsoever in use of my XR.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think for the most part it comes from people without notched phones. Its absolutely not something I pay attention to whatsoever in use of my XR.

Or people that switch between a phone with the notch and one without.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I am extremely mad at getting more screen real estate than before and demand they take it away at once.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dissss posted:

Or people that switch between a phone with the notch and one without.

Ah, so Android people who are obsessed with their insane status bars then. That makes sense.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah, so Android people who are obsessed with their insane status bars then. That makes sense.

No, as I said earlier between a 7 Plus and an XR.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

dissss posted:

No, as I said earlier between a 7 Plus and an XR.

I went from a 7 to an Xs and it doesn’t really bother me too much. Most apps, awful app for example, are accommodating. It’s still a good bit of screen space when watching videos. People are just petty. I understand being petty about something so expensive though, so I’m on both sides of the fence.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don’t have a problem with the notch, but I can’t not notice it. I’ve made my peace with the display but I never forget it’s there.

Still better than TouchID. Also it lets them squeeze a lot of screen in a small footprint.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Notch is fine. Obviously it would be nicer to not be there, but I understand why and rarely remember the notch is actually there.

Also, to affirm with others, I liked Touch ID, but Face ID works better.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Megasabin posted:

I’m abroad right now andantes using s temporary foreign SIM card. My phone is prompting me to “change Apple ID phone number”. Would it be bad to do this or can I just do this and then switch right back when I get home and put my original SIM back in?

Also is this why iMessage appears not to work?

Are you sure that's what it's saying? AppleID is nothing to do with iMessage.
You can register your temporary number for iMessage and then it will work, or just use email addresses.

I just came back from holiday and I did this OK. I would suggest not starting conversations from the temporary number.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there a way of saving photos from the Facebook app directly to the Files app rather than the Photo stream?

It’s possible on twitter but there doesn’t seem to an option on the Facebook app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there a way of saving photos from the Facebook app directly to the Files app rather than the Photo stream?

It’s possible on twitter but there doesn’t seem to an option on the Facebook app.

No because of the stupid rear end way that Facebook saves the photos.

Edit if you take a screen shot of the photo you can save it to files but not directly from Facebook.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there no “share” option for the photo in Facebook?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there no “share” option for the photo in Facebook?

No they use their own bullshit.

You can send it to Facebook messenger though!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

EDIT: Oh missed the files app part.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Dave posted:

EDIT: Oh missed the files app part.

He wants to share straight to the files app and avoid the saving to camera roll and then saving to to files.

drat your edit!!!!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MarcusSA posted:

No they use their own bullshit.

You can send it to Facebook messenger though!

I just downloaded the Facebook app too see what’s going on and if you hit share, then more options, you get the iOS share menu. Problem is is that Facebook is sharing a url to the image (locked behind a login screen) so you can’t just save the picture.

But you can make a simple shortcut with one action

(Tap on the 2 pill looking things and turn on “show in share sheet”)

And it’ll open the url. The first time you do this you’ll need to log in and choose to save the browser. Once you do that you’ll be at the image’s page and you can just tap on “view full size”, the share button again and “save to
Files.”

… it’s a few steps too many but there probably isn’t a way to programmatically get the picture as it’s locked behind a login screen. But well, you can do all this without leaving the Facebook app (after you save it hit done and you’re back).

Here’s a better one that skips all those steps: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/6c2e959735304fbcb9fb506dbc455866

You’ll still need to share the full size picture again in order to save it to Files, but this will open the page to the full size image directly. On first use you’ll still need to login and save the browser.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 28, 2019

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

~Coxy posted:

Are you sure that's what it's saying? AppleID is nothing to do with iMessage.

Umm, that isn't right at all.

Signing in with your Apple ID is how you link your phone number with iMessage and how you use iMessage if you don't own an iPhone.

tl:dr version- check your messages settings for Send and Receive to see what you're connected to and what you show up as. You also need working sms messaging to connect your phone number to your Apple ID.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apparently you can trick an iPhone into displaying CarPlay on Android tablet using this $50 USB dongle:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32826755246.html

There's even a wireless version for $100:

https://avinusa.com/wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto-usb-adapter.html

I'm tempted to grab a refurbished Fire HD 8 and a CD slot mount so the car I'm leasing has carplay.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple's shameful secret is that CarPlay is just an Android app. :v:

So yeah that stuff exists and is a cool hack.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Apparently you can trick an iPhone into displaying CarPlay on Android tablet using this $50 USB dongle:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32826755246.html

There's even a wireless version for $100:

https://avinusa.com/wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto-usb-adapter.html

I'm tempted to grab a refurbished Fire HD 8 and a CD slot mount so the car I'm leasing has carplay.

The problem with that idea is cheap Android tablets usually have crappy battery life and slow boot times.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it possible in iTunes (or a third party service) to select a couple of favourite bands and have it send me a notification or email whenever they release new songs or albums? I don't really keep up with Twitter feeds or whatever of the bands I like but there's maybe three or four where I'd like to know right away if something new comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

dissss posted:

The problem with that idea is cheap Android tablets usually have crappy battery life and slow boot times.

The idea is that one could get a cheap Android head unit instead of an expensive CarPlay one.