Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wanna live like Byleth. Eat three lunches every Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The best part of playing a FE game on normal difficulty is that I am just doing whatever the f I want without a care in the world if its actually good.
Game is fun so far.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Mechanically enemies get some fuckin absurd offensive stats post time-skip. Once they're rocking silver and brave weapons as their standard kit basically all my dudes are getting 2 rounded unless they dodge, even people who were defensively blessed and untouchable two chapters before and have continued hitting their growths. You really gotta pull packs cautiously.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Fodlan sure is the trauma continent, huh

Did House FE poach the writers from House Ogre for this game

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

do units you set as adjutants gain support points?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Gonna try and poach Ingrid, how much free lunch can I stuff into that girl

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i have bought the fire emblem and any time i am tempted to quit playing in frustration i will come in to this thread and complain about it instead, please look forward to it

(the last tactics rpg i managed to get into was final fantasy tactics advance, when it came out, for the record :v:)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

abraham linksys posted:

i have bought the fire emblem and any time i am tempted to quit playing in frustration i will come in to this thread and complain about it instead, please look forward to it

(the last tactics rpg i managed to get into was final fantasy tactics advance, when it came out, for the record :v:)

well lucky you, this isn't a tactics RPG, this is a magical anime high school game with a few tactics mini games

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

One more stupid question: my prof is a mage. If I get the dark seal is there any reason not to use it, or do I hold out for advanced dark magic classes?

I missed the one on Death Knight in the church cuz dude did 60 damage to my guys and took 0.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Carlosologist posted:

do units you set as adjutants gain support points?

Yep. They get supports as if they were on the map sharing a space with the character they're paired with and earn a portion of EXP.

Be careful though because every map resets the adjutant to be paired with the first slot (and second when you get 2 etc). So if you're trying to grind out some non-Byleth supports with them always check and reassign before the map starts.

quote:

One more stupid question: my prof is a mage. If I get the dark seal is there any reason not to use it, or do I hold out for advanced dark magic classes?

I missed the one on Death Knight in the church cuz dude did 60 damage to my guys and took 0.

Both Dark Mage and Dark Bishop take a dark seal to get into, so you might want to save it

You'll have the opportunity to get 3 total seals.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

So if I go the (alternate route spoilers) church route with black eagles do I just lose Edelgard and Hubert? Should I be training them at all then?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
on hard i'm worried about the long-term viability of units like marianne, for whom i sank in a lot of flying sessions but now don't intend to have her become a pegasus knight

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

on hard i'm worried about the long-term viability of units like marianne, for whom i sank in a lot of flying sessions but now don't intend to have her become a pegasus knight

She has physic and silence, she'll be fine

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Miftan posted:

So if I go the (alternate route spoilers) church route with black eagles do I just lose Edelgard and Hubert? Should I be training them at all then?

Yes. I mean you can but there's not much of a point.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Onmi posted:

Yes. I mean you can but there's not much of a point.

Good to know! Probably gonna do that route first so I'll base me early recruitment around that.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

"Zore" posted:

Both Dark Mage and Dark Bishop take a dark seal to get into, so you might want to save it

You'll have the opportunity to get 3 total seals.

Are the other two feasible to get, or do I have Petra run in and yoink it from DK?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Whyyyyy is it random if people accept your invitation to tea

this is the worst mechanic, it only encourages resetting until it works. It should just be set so they always accept or don't on that day.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Are the other two feasible to get, or do I have Petra run in and yoink it from DK?

You have to kill or yoink it from the DK every time. His stats stay the same so it gets easier as the game goes on and your dudes get more competent.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

If you have Sylvain, kicking the poo poo out of DK is laughably easy.

I just did a paralogue that was a 10 turn defense. I routed the enemy in 4 turns. Not to say that this game is "faceroll easy", and I wouldn't even put it in the same league as Sacred Stones/Awakening/Birthright, but I definitely feel IS erred on the side of caution with regards to difficulty.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Post Timeskip Support Mechanic Spoils: You can't get a S-Support until post-game

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
It is a little on the easy side but for my first playthrough I don't mind, I like to chill and enjoy the story and not worry about minmaxing. I can do harder modes on the other routes.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Wow enemy Pegasus Knights don't gently caress around, huh.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I haven't ever felt actually pressured to have them due to hard mode mostly being a decent moderate difficulty mode rather than quite hard, but I'd say it is worth mastering the beginner classes just because the repositioning combat arts can be SUPER helpful. Having Draw Back on all my mages has made safe positioning for shenanigans like (very early spoiler) killing the death knight much easier.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What are these green exclamation points on my calendar? I tried googling it but every google search related to this game has the same 20 loving articles about 9 biggest hints and the 10 things I wish I knew when I started three houses taking up the front page.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Leal posted:

What are these green exclamation points on my calendar? I tried googling it but every google search related to this game has the same 20 loving articles about 9 biggest hints and the 10 things I wish I knew when I started three houses taking up the front page.

They indicate a paralogue is available on the Battle menu.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
For future reference, if you press right when you're deciding Explore/Battle/etc, it'll highlight individual days on the calendar, and then you can look at the details to know what each icon indicates

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Someone failed an exam they had a 90% chance on... Fire Emblem rng luck extends to schoolwork too.

Also savescumming for exams doesn't seem to work as I kept getting fails on that same exam every time I reloaded.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

the ingrid/dorothea paralogue kicked my rear end

goddamn the enemies don't gently caress around then

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So from what I gather - there are 4 paths to the game - One Claude, One Dmitri, Two Edelgard. How different are the two Edelgard paths?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Mordiceius posted:

So from what I gather - there are 4 paths to the game - One Claude, One Dmitri, Two Edelgard. How different are the two Edelgard paths?

In one route, you side with Edelgard to do chaos. In the other, you side with Rhea and the church. Pretty different!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Paralogues scale to your level.

Also, I'm seeing swordmasters and every one of them can insta kill me at any moment. I need actual tanks.

Also the worst, worst, worst part of this game is the goddamn letter system. Let me go from B to A, what is this B+ nonsense that prevents me from finally getting an advanced class??

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm guessing that the schooltime ends around 2/22, given that all the paralogues I have expire that day. :v:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

Paralogues scale to your level.

Also, I'm seeing swordmasters and every one of them can insta kill me at any moment. I need actual tanks.

Also the worst, worst, worst part of this game is the goddamn letter system. Let me go from B to A, what is this B+ nonsense that prevents me from finally getting an advanced class??

Are you sure about that? I did the Alois/Shamir paralogue when I was level 18-20, and it said recommended level 13. I proceeded to completely stomp on it. Same with the Ashe/Catherine paralogue (although that one recommended level 15).

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

maybe i should wait until the the last two months of school to do these paralogues

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Question to those who have gone into the time skip: how are A ranks with non-byleths handled

do you only get one per pair or does it vary based on the supports

I'm not close to that point I just wanna know how much save scumming I'll theoretically be doing to fill in the support log

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Hey guys is it ok to only train characters from a single house and still do fine after the split?
I’ve been thinking of doing Black Eagles and maybe just train those guys and any neutral character like anime Edna Krabapple.

Also is there somewhere I can check for best classes for my characters? I have choice paralysis regarding character promotions.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Carlosologist posted:

In one route, you side with Edelgard to do chaos. In the other, you side with Rhea and the church. Pretty different!

How far into the Black Eagle path does this take place? Am I able to save before the choice so I can follow one path and then return to the original save and follow the other path?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DanZX posted:

Hey guys is it ok to only train characters from a single house and still do fine after the split?
I’ve been thinking of doing Black Eagles and maybe just train those guys and any neutral character like anime Edna Krabapple.

Also is there somewhere I can check for best classes for my characters? I have choice paralysis regarding character promotions.
The characters will generally tell you what they want to be, so just follow what feels like a natural progression for them based on their arleady stated strengths.

And yeah, you can easily not poach anybody and just use your house's characters and neutrals. Deployment limits dont' seem high enough for that to ever leave you shorthanded.

Also, speaking of, minor mechanical timeskip spoilers: you need decently high support with the people you poached if you want to keep them post-timeskip, otherwise you have to recruit them back when you fight them.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

rannum posted:

Question to those who have gone into the time skip: how are A ranks with non-byleths handled

do you only get one per pair or does it vary based on the supports

I'm not close to that point I just wanna know how much save scumming I'll theoretically be doing to fill in the support log

You can have as many A ranks as you want.

Everyone loves Claude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hold on, I just saw someone else do the Dorathea/Ingrid paralogue and they got a relic weapon instead of a ring. Is that weapon route exclusive or something?