Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It was on a Mark Hamil post where he posted the panel of Superman saying people who are against immigrants are unAmerican. Comments are what you would expect.
Also Dixon bums me out. Dude wrote some.of my fave comics in the 90s and while he was never a name I would follow looking back at my old comics and a lot that I read over and over again were written by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Since both New Gods and Steranko were brought up a fun fact is Jack Kirby based Big Barda partially on his own wife and Scott Free on Jim Steranko. Jim Steranko is so cool that Jack "King" Kirby wrote slash fiction about his wife and Steranko.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kirby's got his problems, but when he gets lyrical it's amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kirby kept swapping the star and the A when he drew Captain America, to the point that they had to put a visual reminder on his drawing desk. That doesn't take one ounce away from how amazing he was.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Kirby is the greatest comic book artist and writer to have ever drawn or written a book. :colbert:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mr Hootington posted:

Kirby is the greatest comic book artist and writer to have ever drawn or written a book. :colbert:

Artist, yes. Writer, nope.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

It's kind of hard to unseat Chuck Austen from that throne.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

gently caress you squirrel

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

Kirby kept swapping the star and the A when he drew Captain America, to the point that they had to put a visual reminder on his drawing desk. That doesn't take one ounce away from how amazing he was.

Never heard that one, but I believe it. He was asked how he knew how long to make a fight scene, and he said that when his arm started getting tired he’d wrap up the fight.

His wife wouldn’t let him drive because he was constantly day dreaming. Dude probably had a hard time remembering the details of Captain America’s costume because he had an infinite legion of monsters and space gods trying to get out of his mind and onto the page.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
This is really apropos of nothing but the details of it are pedantic enough that I feel like I'd be better off posting it here than anywhere else.

A friend of mine died early this week, really suddenly. He was a disability studies scholar who'd dealt with chronic illness his whole life, but this seemed to have come out of nowhere. He was two weeks shy of his 51st birthday, and had been a hardcore comics guy since childhood. We'd get lunch on campus and talk about stuff like Peter Gillis' career just because we knew nobody else was, and it was fun to turn over neglected stumps in comics history and see what was wriggling around underneath. He was the one committed Garth Ennis apologist I'd willingly break bread with, and for his part he patiently humored me whenever I felt like haranguing him about the queer genius of late-period Claremont. In an infamously contentious and paranoid department, he was beloved by everyone-- students, faculty, staff, everyone. I barely see the point of taking the elevator down from my office anymore, knowing it'll never again open up on him singing Brecht to nobody in particular.

In an era in academia when "eccentric" is too often a dog whistle for "abusive and unreliable but tenured" he was a true, classic, old-school eccentric-- someone whose passion for learning overflowed constantly into weird, joyful exuberance, someone whose curiosity and wit didn't obey doctrinal lines or the narrow lanes of professionalization.

Anyway, last night my wife and I went over to his home to keep his widow company, cook dinner, and do whatever she needed. We wound up sorting through the massive piles of paper in his office for most of the night remembering what a weird, charming guy he was, separating out all the relics decade-old pull lists mingled in with old student papers, abandoned drafts of letters to his family, receipts for kombucha, print-outs of old listserv arguments, a magnificently cranky mid-80s argument with Sondheim, etc.. But I kept glancing up at this Alan Davis Excalibur poster hanging up in his office, nicely framed with all the odd-ball 90s Excalibur characters on it-- Cerise, Kylun, Widget, Micromax, just a weird snapshot of the time. It made me feel weirdly peaceful to think of him sitting at his desk, writing about crip theory and crime fiction and glancing up at Nightcrawler and co. once in awhile.

If anybody has any information about this particular poster, I'd love to be able to track it down further. The one site I found listing it (but not selling it) said it was included in Excalibur #124, which doesn't make sense because I think that was the very end of the Ben Raab run. I feel like leveraging my grief into a nerdy hunt for decades-old minutia is something he would have appreciated.

Here are Davis' pencils for it. If nothing else, I think it's a beautiful showcase of his talents.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I found the color version, it has the mid run logo on it. Still looking for details.

Edit: that Worthpoint site is the only place with details. Still looking.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 27, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Archyduchess posted:

This is really apropos of nothing but the details of it are pedantic enough that I feel like I'd be better off posting it here than anywhere else.

A friend of mine died early this week, really suddenly. He was a disability studies scholar who'd dealt with chronic illness his whole life, but this seemed to have come out of nowhere. He was two weeks shy of his 51st birthday, and had been a hardcore comics guy since childhood. We'd get lunch on campus and talk about stuff like Peter Gillis' career just because we knew nobody else was, and it was fun to turn over neglected stumps in comics history and see what was wriggling around underneath. He was the one committed Garth Ennis apologist I'd willingly break bread with, and for his part he patiently humored me whenever I felt like haranguing him about the queer genius of late-period Claremont. In an infamously contentious and paranoid department, he was beloved by everyone-- students, faculty, staff, everyone. I barely see the point of taking the elevator down from my office anymore, knowing it'll never again open up on him singing Brecht to nobody in particular.

In an era in academia when "eccentric" is too often a dog whistle for "abusive and unreliable but tenured" he was a true, classic, old-school eccentric-- someone whose passion for learning overflowed constantly into weird, joyful exuberance, someone whose curiosity and wit didn't obey doctrinal lines or the narrow lanes of professionalization.

Anyway, last night my wife and I went over to his home to keep his widow company, cook dinner, and do whatever she needed. We wound up sorting through the massive piles of paper in his office for most of the night remembering what a weird, charming guy he was, separating out all the relics decade-old pull lists mingled in with old student papers, abandoned drafts of letters to his family, receipts for kombucha, print-outs of old listserv arguments, a magnificently cranky mid-80s argument with Sondheim, etc.. But I kept glancing up at this Alan Davis Excalibur poster hanging up in his office, nicely framed with all the odd-ball 90s Excalibur characters on it-- Cerise, Kylun, Widget, Micromax, just a weird snapshot of the time. It made me feel weirdly peaceful to think of him sitting at his desk, writing about crip theory and crime fiction and glancing up at Nightcrawler and co. once in awhile.

If anybody has any information about this particular poster, I'd love to be able to track it down further. The one site I found listing it (but not selling it) said it was included in Excalibur #124, which doesn't make sense because I think that was the very end of the Ben Raab run. I feel like leveraging my grief into a nerdy hunt for decades-old minutia is something he would have appreciated.

Here are Davis' pencils for it. If nothing else, I think it's a beautiful showcase of his talents.

Archyduchess, I'm so sorry for your loss. That was beautifully-written, as usual.

Would you mind dropping me an e-mail when and if you have a moment? I'm saxman2 AT hotmail DOT com.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Archyduchess posted:

The #124 there means that "Excalibur" (that poster) was #124 in the series of Marvel Press posters that started in the mid 1980s. These posters were solicited and sold separately from any comics. Marvel numbered the posters for the same psychotic collector's psychology that led them to number the first 30-ish "Marvel Graphic Novels" despite consecutive issues having absolutely nothing to do with each other. "If you liked MGN #32 (The Death of Groo), surely you'll want to see Jim Shooter and Paul Ryan's Thor story!

I cannot for the life of me find a checklist for all of these posters, despite a lot of them being pretty rad.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 27, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

The #124 there means that "Excalibur" (that poster) was #124 in the series of Marvel Press posters that started in the mid 1980s. These posters were solicited and sold separately from any comics. Marvel numbered the posters for the same psychotic collector's psychology that led them to number the first 30-ish "Marvel Graphic Novels" despite consecutive issues having absolutely nothing to do with each other. "If you liked MGN #32 (The Death of Groo), surely you'll want to see Jim Shooter and Paul Ryan's Thor story!

I cannot for the life of me find a checklist for all of these posters, despite a lot of them being pretty rad.

Forget the checklist, now I want a gallery of the posters for a trip down memory lane. This blog seems to have an incomplete set of images...

I had two-thirds of the Jim Lee X-Men triptych poster set on my wall (I was missing the middle one). So it was something like this:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for your loss, Archy. The best thing you can do is carry that eccentric joy of learning with you in order to inspire others. Grieve as deeply as you need to, but remember to celebrate his life when you're done.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

From the DC wiki:

I'll concede that there's a possibility that it's an essay about the many, many lovely ways DC comics has used it, but I'm not going to check to find out. I'm sure its Talk page is also a bastion of enlightened thought.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's Scott Lobdell's favorite character

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

From the DC wiki:

I'll concede that there's a possibility that it's an essay about the many, many lovely ways DC comics has used it, but I'm not going to check to find out. I'm sure its Talk page is also a bastion of enlightened thought.

I read it. There is a lot of rape.

Nightwing has been raped twice!!!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

I read it. There is a lot of rape.

Nightwing has been raped twice!!!

I think it was Mark Gruenwald who once said that one of they keys to writing comics people enjoy is to give them something they wanted that they didn't realize they wanted until it's presented to them.

Who the gently caress could possibly want to see Nightwing be raped?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it was Mark Gruenwald who once said that one of they keys to writing comics people enjoy is to give them something they wanted that they didn't realize they wanted until it's presented to them.

I know at least one of them was presented as "sexy" as it was a hot villain babe taking advantage of him while he was restrained. I don't recall a second time but I suspect it's something similarly awful.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Why do American comics have so much rape in them?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Devin Grayson wrote the one with Black Tarantula or whatever her name was. She has a huge Nightwing fetish, and was into the online role play scene.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gripweed posted:

Coming from you this is an insane statement.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kinda feels like a lot of writers & editors forgot that lesson.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Mr Hootington posted:

what?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I found the color version, it has the mid run logo on it. Still looking for details.

Edit: that Worthpoint site is the only place with details. Still looking.

Edge & Christian posted:

Thanks both, I found "Marvel Press (#124)" on a checklist of Davis' work under posters, and the details check out. I also found a four-year-old CBR forums thread attempting to piece together a comprehensive list of these posters but it seemed pretty patchwork which, as E&C points out, is weird and a shame because the ones I've stumbled on today are frequently dope.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Archyduchess, I'm so sorry for your loss. That was beautifully-written, as usual.

Would you mind dropping me an e-mail when and if you have a moment? I'm saxman2 AT hotmail DOT com.

Will do, I'm going to catch up on two weeks of neglected work e-mails tomorrow (I'd just gotten back from Vermont when all this happened) and I'll drop you a line then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm *hoping* they're being ironic.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Never read Berserk have you?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

David D. Davidson posted:

Never read Berserk have you?

No, I haven't. But even if Berserk does have a lot of rape in it, I'm not sure what that has to do with the prevalence of rape in American superhero comics

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gripweed posted:

This post was made in good faith.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
You guys were just talking about the prevalence of rape in DC comics, and I know Marvel has a problem with that too. Mrs Marvel's time loop mindcontrol husband/son, for example.

Which seems really strange, considering that both Marvel and DC superhero comics started out as disposable entertainment for children.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Why do Japanese comics have so many superheroes in them.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'd actually be curious to see someone with the time and resources figure out if mainstream US comic books geared towards a "general" audience disproportionately featured sexual violence vs. tv shows/movies/etc. with a similarly broad target demographic.

The subtext of this conversation so far also had me thinking, if one takes hentai and stuff out of the equation and narrows manga down to stuff someone might reasonably pick up for their kid or read on the subway, is there really, statistically, more sexual violence than Western comics? I truly couldn't even hazard a guess, honestly, because I feel like online reception of manga culture has latched onto stuff that's perhaps culturally marginal in Japan.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It in no way justifies it, but most of the sexual violence in superhero comics was written after comics started targeting teens/adults more than kids.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Archyduchess posted:

I'd actually be curious to see someone with the time and resources figure out if mainstream US comic books geared towards a "general" audience disproportionately featured sexual violence vs. tv shows/movies/etc. with a similarly broad target demographic.

The subtext of this conversation so far also had me thinking, if one takes hentai and stuff out of the equation and narrows manga down to stuff someone might reasonably pick up for their kid or read on the subway, is there really, statistically, more sexual violence than Western comics? I truly couldn't even hazard a guess, honestly, because I feel like online reception of manga culture has latched onto stuff that's perhaps culturally marginal in Japan.

There is rape in some manga, but it seems to be generally restricted to, as mentioned before, stuff like Berserk. Super edgy violent fantasy stuff for angry teen boys. I can't recall encountering rape in a manga outside of that. And that's like the vast majority of manga, where rape would be really unusual. I can buy the next volume of Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu fairly safe in the assumption that nobody's gonna get raped in it.

That's what's weird about the rape in American comics. I can understand why there's rape in The Walking Dead, or anything with Garth Ennis' name on the cover, But Nightwing? Twice? What's going on there?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Roth posted:

It in no way justifies it, but most of the sexual violence in superhero comics was written after comics started targeting teens/adults more than kids.

Avengers 200 is also 40 years old at this point. It's utter poo poo but it's not the most useful touchstone for looking at how modern comics (mis)handle sexual violence.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It seems Shoujo Manag has lots of problems with sexual violence.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gripweed posted:

There is rape in some manga, but it seems to be generally restricted to, as mentioned before, stuff like Berserk. Super edgy violent fantasy stuff for angry teen boys. I can't recall encountering rape in a manga outside of that. And that's like the vast majority of manga, where rape would be really unusual. I can buy the next volume of Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu fairly safe in the assumption that nobody's gonna get raped in it.

That's what's weird about the rape in American comics. I can understand why there's rape in The Walking Dead, or anything with Garth Ennis' name on the cover, But Nightwing? Twice? What's going on there?

I mean looking through this list: https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/tags/sexual-abuse?page=1

I see a range of works considered to be classics: (Berserk, Blade of the Immortal), modern hits (Goblin Slayer, GATE), stuff that was popular with kids on Tumblr (Killing Stalking), shonen series (Akame ga Kill), and it doesn't even include other forms of sexual assault/normalization of rape culture like the numerous "funny" pervert characters in shonen manga that are there to get laughs for harassing and peeping on women. Part 2 of Jojo has Joseph peep on his mentor taking a bath, and My Hero Academia just had Mineta tell a 5 year old that he'd love to see her in 10 years.

And one of the most popular shows of last season was Shield Hero, which is kicked off by a false rape accusation. Sword Art Online was a very popular shonen series that had a lot of sexual assault in the series, and another major classic, Akira, has an attempted gang rape sequence. Sexual assault is very common in anime/manga, including very popular and well regarded shows. I also would also feel fairly safe assuming there won't be a graphic rape scene in Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu, a slice of life manga about medieval cooking, as I would be safe in assuming that there won't be graphic rape in Lumberjanes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Avengers 200 is also 40 years old at this point. It's utter poo poo but it's not the most useful touchstone for looking at how modern comics (mis)handle sexual violence.

This is also true. Maybe it's just me, but I read a lot of western comics and I really don't see any rape, especially not from modern Marvel/DC series. Maybe I'm just reading the right ones, or forgetting a recent case.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Roth posted:

I mean looking through this list: https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/tags/sexual-abuse?page=1

I see a range of works considered to be classics: (Berserk, Blade of the Immortal), modern hits (Goblin Slayer, GATE), stuff that was popular with kids on Tumblr (Killing Stalking), shonen series (Akame ga Kill)

literally all of those fall under the genre I mentioned

Gripweed posted:

Super edgy violent fantasy stuff for angry teen boys.

Roth posted:

Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu, a slice of life manga about medieval cooking

It's about modern cooking in a medieval fantasy universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So the same audience targeted by DC and Marvel then

Edit - To be clear, my posts aren't intended as a retort like "How dare you criticize comics, don't you see how bad anime is?" and more just out of annoyance at Gripweed's continued gimmick of bad faith arguments that loop around to how some anime or manga is clearly better.

Roth fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 29, 2019