Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BaDandy posted:

It'd be pretty easy to take over the gang if no one knew who the Boss really was. Giorno could just say, "I was the real boss this whole time and some rear end in a top hat was impersonating me," and what's everyone else gonna do? Diavolo barely left a trail. He didn't even leave behind a body. His paranoia guaranteed that he'd be super easy to erase and forget about.

In fact, Giorno does this in Purple Haze Feedback. Even then, the audience would come to that conclusion anyway because Diavolo made himself such a non-entity.

This never made much sense to me because Giorno is 15. How long is he claiming to have been the boss for, and who is supposed to have been the boss before that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Do not question the Boy Mayor of Naples. :colbert:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Silver2195 posted:

This never made much sense to me because Giorno is 15

It worked for Doppio :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
giorno got his talking turtle to vouch for him

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Man what a weird ending. I was expecting the Rolling Stone flashback to reveal some incredibly clever way that Buccarati could come back to life (or at least be directly relevant to what's happening in the present in some way other than the theme,) but actually it was just to remind us what a badass Mista is and then play a joke on him, which isn't exactly bad, but weird.

The OP and Diavolo's fate were good though.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Kurtofan posted:

giorno got his talking turtle to vouch for him

Giorno got a sponsorship with Totino's©

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Apparently loving Fighting Gold opening had the Rock hidden right behind Giorno Statue's legs in the first loving second what the gently caress. And yeah, I think I made a post earlier calling that stands in the ending are the order people die/leave in, and OF COURSE rock was underneath them all all along, lmao.

I've really enjoyed those episodes! Change in the opening was something I was hoping for (since Diavolo's power was turned off and all) and holy hell it was amazing!
Diavolo himself loving sucked. He wasn't powerful or smart and just got beat up. Even Kira got oraora'd and still managed to run away.
Giorno's power is still bullshit. So, Diavolo can never arrive to his death? Makes sense. Why is he teleporting all over the place? Shouldn't he just be drowing and not being able to do anything about it? However, this time, I don't mind Giorno's bullshit. In fact, this was such a cool-rear end Giorno power, that I'm willing to forgive a lot of his poo poo. Just incredible. Cool, weird, and a great finisher. Probably the best since Kars.

I can't believe it took them until the flashback in the final episode to actually show us a lot of character chemistry. It was great, but felt like less of a great episode, and more just a missed opportunity. Just give me weird Oingo Boingo episodes where characters just act like dorks and aren't constantly stressed!
The rock itself was funny as poo poo. Also, it wrote "bad luck" into Mista, right? Is that why he got that paranoid? I mean, he still didn't have number four, but I assume he got waaaaay weirder after that.
Also I should point out that I didn't miss Giorno at all during the flashback! I legit remembered he existed only after he was shown again. Probably my least favorite Jojo... Even with Jonathan you can at least laugh at how much of a dork he is, but Giorno? What was his loving deal? Aside from his stand, I barely remember him doing or saying anything... Honestly, the main plot should've just been his GANGSTAR motivation, and none of that drug poo poo. Just loving make him into a kid who wants to be the boss, and eventually realizing just how much of a piece of poo poo Diavolo really is. It's way more charming. Or gently caress it, it should've just been Jono Jocciaratti.

Overall, I enjoyed the experience, even if the road to ending was rough. Everything from colisseum and Bruno sniffing souls was loving weird.
Here's my review:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vookatos posted:

Giorno's power is still bullshit. So, Diavolo can never arrive to his death? Makes sense. Why is he teleporting all over the place? Shouldn't he just be drowing and not being able to do anything about it? However, this time, I don't mind Giorno's bullshit. In fact, this was such a cool-rear end Giorno power, that I'm willing to forgive a lot of his poo poo. Just incredible. Cool, weird, and a great finisher. Probably the best since Kars.

Epitaph is going haywire and showing him countless possible futures in which he dies without ever actually reaching any of them.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Epitaph is going haywire and showing him countless possible futures in which he dies without ever actually reaching any of them.

Eh, it's still convoluted, but sure, I can see that. loving love that poo poo, so I don't even care if it made sense or didn't.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Good news is now I can cancel my Crunchroll subscription and forget about Anime until Stone Ocean.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Vookatos posted:

Apparently loving Fighting Gold opening had the Rock hidden right behind Giorno Statue's legs in the first loving second what the gently caress. And yeah, I think I made a post earlier calling that stands in the ending are the order people die/leave in, and OF COURSE rock was underneath them all all along, lmao.

There's also this
https://twitter.com/LegoAlex98/status/1155535407658012672

Vookatos posted:

I've really enjoyed those episodes! Change in the opening was something I was hoping for (since Diavolo's power was turned off and all) and holy hell it was amazing!
Diavolo himself loving sucked. He wasn't powerful or smart and just got beat up. Even Kira got oraora'd and still managed to run away.

Here's how I heard it explained that also makes the most sense.

GER reduces all actions to 0. You can never reach any action you take, intentional or otherwise. Death is also an action, technically. GER makes it so Diavolo can never reach the "truth" of his death.

However, death is inevitable in JoJo. No Stand can completely reverse death, not even Requiem Stands, and it's also one of the main points of the epilogue. So...what happens to Diavolo? Never reaching death but death being inevitable can't both be true. Reality isn't quite sure what to do with this, so Diavolo just keeps "glitching" through different deaths, forever.

What happened was that Giorno punched Diavolo so hard, he glitched out of the main space-time continuum.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'd probably be a lot less disappointed in the final 2 eps if it weren't for the two (three?) week wait. I was expecting a big final confrontation with the boss, I didn't think he was done two episodes ago.

Like it was fine and good but as a two ep finale it felt a little flat for my tastes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Vookatos posted:

Eh, it's still convoluted, but sure, I can see that. loving love that poo poo, so I don't even care if it made sense or didn't.

For all intents and purposes Giorno sent him to Hell, where he will suffer and die for all time without hope of salvation. Which imo is a little ott

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

This never made much sense to me because Giorno is 15. How long is he claiming to have been the boss for, and who is supposed to have been the boss before that?

Passione is a mafia made mostly of Stand users. Are you really going to trust that the apparent fifteen-year-old is actually fifteen?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Good news is now I can cancel my Crunchroll subscription and forget about Anime until Stone Ocean.

hell yes

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

multijoe posted:

For all intents and purposes Giorno sent him to Hell, where he will suffer and die for all time without hope of salvation. Which imo is a little ott

Oh yeah, I wasn't trying to imply that I was even looking for an explanation. That just loving ruled!
(also lmao at him just drowning and getting stabbed by a drunk guy. Shame they didn't show a piano falling on him)

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Yep. That's me as well. Good series everyone, hopefully see you all in a few years not decades.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Darko posted:

Oh wow, that opening was amazing.

the DIO pose with GER behind it was dope as gently caress

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Okay that was that. A fun ride and the opening shinanigans plus the post credit scenes were pretty amazing, but most of that is on David Pro and not on the overall plot. Not great, not terrible.

However I can now read Vento Aurero Blazed without worrying about spoilers, yay!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

When did Giorno’s braid get hosed up or cut off or whatever ?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Sockser posted:

When did Giorno’s braid get hosed up or cut off or whatever ?

When GER happens.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i still have to lmao at araki's complete lack of subtlety

giving that guy a crown of thorns in his hair then having mista shoot the stigmata into him hahaha

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zyla posted:

giving that guy a crown of thorns in his hair then having mista shoot the stigmata into him hahaha

I noticed the crown of thorns, but I never picked up on the stigmata haha.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Zyla posted:

jesus

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vookatos posted:

It also starts off with the 3 people that live and then shows everyone else in the order they die (outside of Fugo, who is just thrown in there).

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Thematically, Diavolo is in Dante's Inferno, doomed to experience death over and over again but to never truly die.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Darko posted:

It also starts off with the 3 people that live and then shows everyone else in the order they die (outside of Fugo, who is just thrown in there).

technically fugo sort of 'dies' as far as the story is concerned, at least. it's fitting enough.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

technically fugo sort of 'dies' as far as the story is concerned, at least. it's fitting enough.

Yeah, messes up the order though - he should have been first.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/maniamarshmallo/status/1155535279178027008

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Zyla posted:

:lol: When he was cornered with his arms spread open I nearly screamed a big "COME ON!".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's all about jesus :wink:

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Dude spends an hour and fifteen minutes talking about the themes of Part 5 and how much he loves Vento Aureo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXPziHbmOEs

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

dancingbears posted:

Diavolo is such a loser that only four people even knew he existed, and now that he's dead no one will remember him, much less mourn him. That's such a far cry from the eternal kingdom he wanted, it's comical.

Also, dying to a little dog and flipping out because of a little girl are Peak Diavolo.

"Dead".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

It's a shame Polnareff doesn't remember the evil baby, because that's be the perfect counterargument.

Sockser posted:

I'd probably be a lot less disappointed in the final 2 eps if it weren't for the two (three?) week wait. I was expecting a big final confrontation with the boss, I didn't think he was done two episodes ago.

If it's any consolation, the theory posting was fun to read.

Though I did get quite a bit of amusement out of "Surely Diavolo will find out GER's weakness".

multijoe posted:

Well he is the Devil.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 28, 2019

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

You mean Joshua ben Josef?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Okay, but how many musical references are in The Bible?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Okay, but how many musical references are in The Bible?

Jesus and his twelve apostles:

Simon Garfunkel
Molly Hatchet
Blue Oyster Cult
Public Image Ltd.
Motorhead
Chicago
Grand Funk Railroad
The Doors
The Jordanaires
Dr. John, the Night Tripper
Warren Zevon
Judas Priest

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Giorno reversing the hijack and doing the DIO pose blew my mind. I got so excited over something so conceptually simple, yet visually spectacular.

It seems to me that the coda with Rolling Stones simply reinforced the theme of "the journey is just as important as the destination". Bruno was always going to die young, but if he'd touched the stone, the chances of our heroes toppling Diavolo would have been far more bleak. It's further condemnation of Diavolo's viewpoint that only the results matter, more dirt piling onto his bodiless grave in a manner of speaking.

And now, it's time to end things with a dance party.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Archenteron posted:

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Darko posted:

There's also chain coming out of the arrow that show up in shots for every character (fate symbolism?)... except for Fugo. At the end Giorno's GE breaks the chains.

Also near the end there's a vertical pan with Giorno, Mista and Fugo on one side, and Abbachio, Narancia and Bucciarati on the other, if you want something more blunt.