Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Zore posted:

2/8 is the first Saturday that matters. You have 2/8, 2/15, 2/22 and during one of those you need to talk to Edelgard and go with her when she takes you on a trip (note this will end your free time session immediately and skip a few days forward).

The actual choice then happens in month 3. If you don't go with Edelgard you're locked into one path. If you do you get the choice.

Also you need to be at C+ with Edelgard and C with Hubert before you get the chance to go.

How far into this game is this? I’m still waiting to play as my wife plays. Just figuring out my choices.

I should be able to just do two save slots for Edelgard and check out both paths, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordiceius posted:

How far into this game is this? I’m still waiting to play as my wife plays. Just figuring out my choices.

I should be able to just do two save slots for Edelgard and check out both paths, right?

So the game starts on month 4, the stuff I'm describing is almost a full in game year later. And yeah you can easily have two saves to check out both paths.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Post timeskip, Blue Lions- I was so disappointed that Dedue wasn't around, and apparently died, but I figured they wouldn't kill a character like that off screen and I was right, he turned up again in ch16. Time to get back to punching things really hard, my dude. :unsmith:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if anyone else has commented on it but I am loving the support between Casper and Petra so far.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just a general survey, what level did you actually change into your first 100% Advanced class? The A rank is really screwing with me because there's a goddamn B+ in between.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Managed to get Ingrid into Falcoknight at level 31 because I only trained what she needed to get that + a little bit of Riding.

She still failed one exam at 90% though

Edit: Okay I mixed up advanced and Master but regardless I did get some people promoted to advanced at level 20 just by checking the requirements for those classes early and training them hard in the required stats.

Chocolate Bunny fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 29, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Hunt11 posted:

I don't know if anyone else has commented on it but I am loving the support between Casper and Petra so far.

isn't that the one where he's like I wanna train with you!! But oh poo poo, my dad killed yours, WHUH OHO!!?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Just a general survey, what level did you actually change into your first 100% Advanced class? The A rank is really screwing with me because there's a goddamn B+ in between.

There's a + level for every rank though?

Also B+ means you can usually still change into the class. Just save before you do so and reload if you fail the class change test and try again the next week. You won't be able to pass that week, but it saves 2 grand.

I had everyone in Advanced classes by level 21/22 except Byleth because I had spread his training out too much to recruit a ton of students. Luckily he gets his free special class right around then so it didn't even matter lol.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Tae posted:

Pretty much everyone was 20 or 21 when they promoted for me and that included mastering their intermediate classes.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I've been trying to avoid spoilers for this; What's the general opinion on the game's new mechanics and such? I've been avoiding previews and all that but I still find the lack of weapon triangle weird.

Being too broke to buy new games sucks. I've got to wait until I can borrow my brother's copy. :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

I've been trying to avoid spoilers for this; What's the general opinion on the game's new mechanics and such? I've been avoiding previews and all that but I still find the lack of weapon triangle weird.

Being too broke to buy new games sucks. I've got to wait until I can borrow my brother's copy. :negative:

I honestly really like it. If anything I'm sad they went halfway with it and made it a skills thing where you kind of sort of have a weapon triangle later on, if characters have certain skills equipped. Just get rid of it completely if you're gonna get rid of it. I was skeptical at first but it means that combat can be balanced around a baseline of stats and terrain rather than every enemy formation having to either be super balanced in its weapon composition or get owned if you have a fast swordy/tanky lance user.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Do movement gambits like lure not work on mounted units? I can’t move the death knight off his drat avoidance space

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Honestly the biggest gently caress you is the Master class requirements. Why yes Mages should get A riding and C lances to have non-garbage movement, that sounds like a reasonable thing.

Similarly the promotion from Paladin is either Falco Knight (which needs flying and is gender exclusive) or Great Knight which needs A+ Heavy Armor and Axe skill.

Or Mortal Savant and its 'now you need a high level reason skill on top of that A swords'

The only sane Master Classes are War Master, Gremory and Wyvern Lord.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

better get studying then :v:

the gains from the weekly studies are pretty solid on their own, and they get boosted even more once you start buying the statue boosts

my plan right now is to put Sylvain in Wyvern Lord and Ferdinand in Great Knight. love the customization aspects, also love getting a free Relic in Chapter 5

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also, how does the story work with the three different sides?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

isn't that the one where he's like I wanna train with you!! But oh poo poo, my dad killed yours, WHUH OHO!!?

He is a bit of an idiot so I am not surprised it took him a moment to remember that fact. It is more establishing that Petra is very much in the gently caress the old ways camp which makes her a great fit to follow Edelgard.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Advanced classes feel pretty strong as well, so I'm not rushing for master classes for everyone. I have a few, but everyone in Advanced is still doing just fine at this point.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alright I want to adopt Bernadetta (because she need the stability that having a hardened mercenary-turned-teacher for a mom will provide) and Dorothea (because her hat is rad) into the Deers, what's the most efficient path to this?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Alright I want to adopt Bernadetta (because she need the stability that having a hardened mercenary-turned-teacher for a mom will provide) and Dorothea (because her hat is rad) into the Deers, what's the most efficient path to this?
Hunt around the lost monastery for their lost items and hand them over, give them flowers and stuff as gifts, eat dinner with them a lot. Basically, do everything you can to raise Byleth's support level with them. At around B Rank they should join if you have even a modicum of the stats they want. I got Ingrid with only E+ flying on Byleth.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Check what stats they like and train yourself in those a bit. Also take them both to dinner and choir practice each week you Explore and give them gifts (flowers are easiest, you can grow them in the greenhouse easily) to raise their support levels as having higher supports makes them easier to recruit.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Funky Valentine posted:

If you invite Dorothea to the choir a lot, she'll naturally want to join you.

As for Bernadetta, just shove things under the crack of her door (and invite her out for tea and cooking and dinner etc.)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Funky Valentine posted:

Shove their favorite things at them to raise support levels. Invite Dorothea to choir practice. Byleth is naturally good at str and cha so you shouldn't need to do anything special for that, but you will need to raise authority for Dorothea and Bows for Bernie. If you can get them to C rank you can do it with some hefty investment, and if you get them to B rank only a little investment is fine.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Funky Valentine posted:

Support points and grinding teach in the skills they admire, which is bows and authority iirc.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I'm the crazy trying to recruit like 5 characters. How feasible is this actually? I'm up to ch 7.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BrightWing posted:

I'm the crazy trying to recruit like 5 characters. How feasible is this actually? I'm up to ch 7.

Really easy.

I recruited 10.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

I kind of dont like the class system

It feels a little all over the place and the weapon system means things are kind of..overly interchangeable? Special exceptions for the mounted and mage classes, of course.
Like yeah fighter, myrmidon and soldier almost certainly have different growth sets, and will result in a different mastery skill but its like I'm still playing Caspar & Ferdinand almost similarly to Petra who is a myrmidon. And growths are still abstract enough that you're probably not going to notice differences a lot.

But I'm only just now getting into advance classes (I don't know how people are mastering classes so fast, I still had people not max out noble/commoner), so maybe differences become more noticeable as time goes on. But I kind of miss the more rigid style of classing from before. Like yeah with some money and planning yo ucan put Fateswakening people into all kinds of classes but it still felt like the classes mattered a little more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BrightWing posted:

Honestly not that hard if you just dedicate all your exploration time to getting their support levels up.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Oh and when you unlock the ability to assign adjudants, ask anyone you want to recruit from the other houses to join you for the month. Attach them to Byleth each mission and they will gain a ton of support.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also everyone the real way to break the game is by getting professor level up since that just lets you do more stuff during the time management portion.

You increase it by

Gardening (can be done weekly if exploring, takes no time)

Fishing (can be done weekly if exploring, takes no time. You do need to do a sidequest to unlock the ability to buy bait)

Eating meals with others and cooking (takes time)

Singing in the choir (probably the best overall way to spend time)

Winning the tournaments in the training yard (takes time)

Finding special blue glowy things seeded throughout the Monastery over the course of part 1. Sometimes these are in people's rooms so make sure to sweep through every once in a while.

Answering student questions during class in a way they like.

Once you get to B+ you have like 8 action slots during every exploration, 6 tutor slots during every class lesson and 2 battle slots so you can more efficiently take out paralogues and sidequests on the weekend.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zore posted:

Also everyone the real way to break the game is by getting professor level up since that just lets you do more stuff during the time management portion.

You increase it by

Gardening (can be done weekly if exploring, takes no time)

Fishing (can be done weekly if exploring, takes no time. You do need to do a sidequest to unlock the ability to buy bait)

Eating meals with others and cooking (takes time)

Singing in the choir (probably the best overall way to spend time)

Winning the tournaments in the training yard (takes time)

Finding special blue glowy things seeded throughout the Monastery over the course of part 1. Sometimes these are in people's rooms so make sure to sweep through every once in a while.

Answering student questions during class in a way they like.

Once you get to B+ you have like 8 action slots during every exploration, 6 tutor slots during every class lesson and 2 battle slots so you can more efficiently take out paralogues and sidequests on the weekend.

What makes Choir the best way to spend time, specifically?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

rannum posted:

What makes Choir the best way to spend time, specifically?

You get Faith experience, Authority experience, get support with 2 other characters (who also gain Faith experience) and gain Professor points.

Nothing else in the game gives as many benefits at once.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There are some weekend where you can eat as many times as you want, limited by activity points.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
These Professor ranks are getting to feel a little steep, like 7500 to move on to B+,. I've leveled it every once every month until now but It might start slacking off unless the Xp comes in fat.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just got to the turning point for the Blue Lions and it's everything I could have ever hoped for and more :allears:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I found these Training Gauntlets in an early mission? Kinda blew the lid off the difficulty, they made Byleth able to execute every person she touched.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Zore posted:

C+ is the rank that gives you the second battle point, and I think that’s the moment when you don’t need to rush professor rank as hard. Exploring is still way better than seminars and resting, but doing two battles in one weekend makes that a much better value.

I’m just doing the chapter six battle now, having recruited Petra, Dorothea, Felix, and Ferdinand. Those are the only four I actually plan to use, but at this rate I’m pretty sure I could get every other student by the end of chapter 8.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sylvain's ceaseless boner is something to witness in supports :allears:

first he tries to get Byleth back to his room and then Ingrid calls him out in front of everyone, I love this kid

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There is so much death and murder in these supports, calm down game

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Sylvain has a good balance of silly and serious supports. I love the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tae posted:

There is so much death and murder in these supports, calm down game

Seriously. I'm used to "support" being more along the lines of making quirky friends and having hijinx, but this game going all out trying to be animu Game of Thrones.

Edit: btw, did anyone ever figure out of support points are wasted on charters who are capped in Part 1?