Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cynic Jester posted:

Not to mention that WotC has a checkered history when it comes to paying for IT professionals.

This is it. I know how much effort it would take to run Arena, but I also know WotC's history of trying to attract nerds who want to work "for the love of the game" and exploiting that in order to pay them less than they're worth. I realize this is probably true for most video game companies, but we're usually talking about Magic in the Magic thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

AnEdgelord posted:

This is becoming increasingly incoherent

did you know that some of said removal spells exile hogaak

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The tweets are still up there and there is further discussion about the event...

https://twitter.com/h0lydiva/status/1155502956000817152

Just completely absurd. I wouldn't even expect an opponent of the Arbiter to be allowed to take back forgetting to pay before fetching. Judges aren't there to fix misplays.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Panzeh posted:

did you know that some of said removal spells exile hogaak

Oh wow why didnt I think of that, using one removal spell to remove one creature on a board full of other creatures. Boy I sure hope they dont have more than one Hogaak or a Carrion feeder to sac it or even just the ability to beat me to death with the entire rest of their board.

/s

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC4/24-27-modern-match-point-decklists-2019-07-28

Not sure if posted. So about half of the top performing decks in both tournaments were Hogaak decks. Not sure how anybody can argue that it's not a problem when the field is flooded with hate and it's still dominating.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

The take back rule has been around a while now and i said it sucked when it was implemented and it sucks now.

Has no place in comp rel.

This has nothing to do with the rule and everything to do with the judges making bad calls fwiw.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Panzeh's entire gimmick lately is posting one liners about how Modern is supposed to be a terrible format of unanswerable degenerate decks. Don't read his posts.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rkajdi posted:

I'd hold off on the last goyf if I could help it. They aren't that great anymore, and their price is just slipping by the week. Take it as whatever you want that a creature as easily big at 2 CMC as a goyf is now marginal.

What the hell are you talking about. Both Jund decks in the top 8 of the pro tour played 4 copies each.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DangerDongs posted:

What the hell are you talking about. Both Jund decks in the top 8 of the pro tour played 4 copies each.

That person doesn’t know what the gently caress they’re talking about, tarmogoyf is better now than at any other point in the last 2 years.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Goyfs were getting cheaper last time I checked though, though I'm sure the price is going to tick back up now that Jund put up results in a large event.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
So I might hit the aus MCQs with Arnie's UW Control list.

Also helps I have onslaught snaplands and duals from extended in 2007, and snaps from when I played Esper in INN-RTR standard.

I used to play UW tron in extended but Mono G tron is boring.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

When I saw that Hogaak was 20% of the field going into the MC, I wasn't terribly happy. Then I remembered, "It's only the beginning of the tournament, no games have been played yet. Maybe the deck will fall flat on it's face and post a really bad conversion rate for day 2". Nooope. At least there was only one in the top 8? I guess???

When BfB was banned, I was worried that they hadn't done enough to the deck, especially since they didn't touch any of the enablers, like Faithless Looting (plz ban it) or stitcher's supplier. I had already lost plenty of games where the Hogaak player found 0 copies of BfB and still had me dead on board on turn 3, so removing BfB only took away the really bullshit turn 2 kill. Guess I was right.

My favorite part about this whole mess is that in a discord when MH first came out, someone mentioned the Hogaak deck and how it could consistently goldfish a turn 3 kill. I doubted the deck, saying something like 'how does it beat graveyard hate? will it actually turn the goldfish kills into game wins?'. And now, 2 months later, I want another card banned from the deck (in addition to just wanting Faithless Looting banned for the better part of a year).

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

C-Euro posted:

Goyfs were getting cheaper last time I checked though, though I'm sure the price is going to tick back up now that Jund put up results in a large event.

Goyfs have been in a weird place ever since fatal push was printed. Push being a clean 1 mana answer to Goyf is why it hasn't been as big of a player in modern in recent years, and I really wouldn't want to play it if I knew a lot of Push decks were also running around. My first impression was that I wouldn't want to run Goyf in a meta where people are packing mainboard graveyard hate to beat Hogaak, but I guess not. I guess the reason that goyf has been doing better recently is that Path and Bolt are way better the Push right now, neither of which answer a goyf cleanly.

My guess is that once the format adjusts back to one where fatal push is the premier removal spell (like when wizards does something about hogaak cough cough, goyf will get a lot worse again.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Edit: wrong thread

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

freeman posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2019MC4/24-27-modern-match-point-decklists-2019-07-28

Not sure if posted. So about half of the top performing decks in both tournaments were Hogaak decks. Not sure how anybody can argue that it's not a problem when the field is flooded with hate and it's still dominating.

Whoever makes the decisions for the banlist at wizards definitely needs to watch G1 and G2 of the SCG finals. G1 hogaak fought through a relic of progenitus, two oblivion stones (notably putting all the creatures back on the battlefield after its board was blown up in combat by the o-stones), a ballista that ping’d down half its board, an Ulamog... and still got its opponent down to 1 life and had a potential to top deck out of the situation. G2 it won through two leylines on a mulligan to 5. Tron won in the end but drat.

Also, Twitter was filled with a ton of pros complaining this weekend about organized play, lack of communication about the future, and modern as a whole - I’m assuming wotc will just ignore all of that as usual?

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 29, 2019

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The amount of times Hogaak can present an unbeatable board state on turn 2 (especially on the play) against the most decks is just too consistent to be healthy for the format. I played against it and watched matches all weekend in Barcelona and the craziest part is that there is still room for improvement in the deck, as the crab version seemed even better than the one most people play currently.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Dehtraen posted:

Also, Twitter was filled with a ton of pros complaining this weekend about organized play, lack of communication about the future, and modern as a whole - I’m assuming wotc will just ignore all of that as usual?

"Feedback from mythic championship participants has made it clear that modern is a format which players no longer enjoy. As a result, as of 2021 the modern format will be retired and replaced with the historic format as seen on Magic Arena (TM). This will be in conjunction with all future mythic championships (TM) being invite-only for our biggest streamers and played on Magic Arena."

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Katana Gomai posted:

The amount of times Hogaak can present an unbeatable board state on turn 2 (especially on the play) against the most decks is just too consistent to be healthy for the format. I played against it and watched matches all weekend in Barcelona and the craziest part is that there is still room for improvement in the deck, as the crab version seemed even better than the one most people play currently.

This is the main reason I find UW players that don't have terminus in their deck hilarious. Like, I get that the 4 mana wraths are "better" in other matchups, but like have you seen what the gently caress format we're playing?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is the main reason I find UW players that don't have terminus in their deck hilarious. Like, I get that the 4 mana wraths are "better" in other matchups, but like have you seen what the gently caress format we're playing?

Setting up a Terminus from Jace on turn 5 is not going to win that match, and Carrion Feeder provides a way to get around it.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Skyl3lazer posted:

The terminus version is just stone dead to too many things

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OK, first off sorry about the goyf comment. I'd been hearing that they weren't as good from longtime Jund/Rock players, and I know the price on them has been slipping. It is good to hear Jund is doing well again, because that's sort of the format's canary in the coalmine.

Second off, the prize support for this season of FNM is insane. I acted before like standard packs are sort of a nothing prize, and I still stand by that. My total money pulls from them since the beginning of M20 have been the green cavalier and Omnath. Alright, but nothing worth really writing home about. The prize packs are nuts, since you're effectively getting two mythics/rares, which are 100% foil in the premium pack. Plus, getting a pack with a 25% chance of a japanese alt planeswalker is insane. I pulled a foil Narset Friday, which is worth an insane $300 (well, $200 in store credit) for being an uncommon. I also pulled a Yarok from a promo pack for Saturday standard, which is a $12 win for a fairly unimpressive finish. Lots of the others are in the $50-100 region right now, though I have to think they'll drop once prize packs start getting opened with regularity. I legit don't see how people aren't kicking down the door at FNM locally (we were at our standard 8-12 players for modern) because it feels like Wizards is putting $20 bills in these promo packs instead of a sometimes modern relevant foil that's worth maybe $5. It's kind of crazy that at this stage where it appears that MtG is incredibly popular and healthy, and we don't have insane attendance for it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Who else can't wait for the judge update today?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Katana Gomai posted:

it is tyool 2019 and the premier deck archetype in modern is named "hogaak crab"

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Who else can't wait for the judge update today?

It's been very quiet among judge channels. A lot of the higher level judges are posting almost identical messages saying three things: there's an announcement coming at 11 AM EST; "change is scary but good"; and anyone concerned can feel free to talk to them about anything. An overwhelming message of "you're going to be real upset when you read this, but I'll try to talk to you and explain how you should think it's good!" All the ones posting these messages are already too deep into the judge program to quit no matter what it turns into.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

R.I.P. magic judging.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Monday Morning Massacre (girl)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

It's been very quiet among judge channels. A lot of the higher level judges are posting almost identical messages saying three things: there's an announcement coming at 11 AM EST; "change is scary but good"; and anyone concerned can feel free to talk to them about anything. An overwhelming message of "you're going to be real upset when you read this, but I'll try to talk to you and explain how you should think it's good!" All the ones posting these messages are already too deep into the judge program to quit no matter what it turns into.

:allears: Amazing

Still trying to move all the paper magic cards I have. We are just a few bad organized play announcements away from really bad things. Don't be left holding the bag.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ItBreathes posted:

R.I.P. magic judging.

Can I ask what the end effect of this is for the guy who plays FNM at the local shop? I got the impression most of the guys doing rules stuff there were just store employees, not actual magic judges. Or is this more sky is falling stuff because of fears about the future of Pro Play?

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Sickening posted:

Still trying to move all the paper magic cards I have. We are just a few bad organized play announcements away from really bad things. Don't be left holding the bag.

I'm selling out of all my non-bulk at Gencon this week, minus my convertible modern/legacy/pauper burn deck. Like, it's cool to have a Gaea's Cradle, but I've had it since I was in middle school and I've never actually used it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Already done, the only things I have left of value are a full set of all the blue Revised duals and at least one of the non-blue ones. And I'm wondering when the peak for those will be, because it's probably soon.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

rkajdi posted:

Can I ask what the end effect of this is for the guy who plays FNM at the local shop? I got the impression most of the guys doing rules stuff there were just store employees, not actual magic judges. Or is this more sky is falling stuff because of fears about the future of Pro Play?

We'll know more in half an hour, but I'd say the biggest concern to that person is what the fears about organized play means for card prices / demand and by extension the future of LGSs as a business. A goodly number of them are mostly just MTG stores at the bottom line.

Also, the existence of the judge program probably made it more likely that the 'rules guy' at the store, employee or otherwise, actually knew the rules. If the resources/community dry up I could see a lot more uninformed rulings happening.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Necronomicon posted:

Like, it's cool to have a Gaea's Cradle, but I've had it since I was in middle school and I've never actually used it.
Unless you really need the money, just make an Omnath/Elf EDH deck with it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rkajdi posted:

Nothing at the casual level right away. Hell, removal of the judge requirements from some comp rel events now makes more sense now.

The concern I have is how things can have a big impact when you gently caress with things at the very top. What happens to magic if there is no longer a pro tour or its turned into a promotional event for streamers and other personalities? What happens to magic if GP's don't lead to anything and possibly die off completely? What happens when your local competitive event stop getting all wotc support and die off?

There is an entire ecosystem that feeds from the top. Competitive decklists for big events causes tremors throughout the entire community. This in turn affects sales at all levels. Decks you play at your local FNM both with and against are affected by this if you know it or not.

"Magic is dying" is a meme that is as old as the game. The times when the game was at its closest to dying was when organized play was at its worst. I don't understand the changes going on right now and quite frankly they don't seem to be good business.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't think Magic wants to kill paper magic, because selling the same product twice has got to be pretty nice. You will see less focus on paper as they split it with digital, especially right now since they are trying to promote the hell out of their new platform.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ItBreathes posted:

We'll know more in half an hour, but I'd say the biggest concern to that person is what the fears about organized play means for card prices / demand and by extension the future of LGSs as a business. A goodly number of them are mostly just MTG stores at the bottom line.

Also, the existence of the judge program probably made it more likely that the 'rules guy' at the store, employee or otherwise, actually knew the rules. If the resources/community dry up I could see a lot more uninformed rulings happening.

I got the impression that a lot of this is shifting the top end of play (where you get paid) from being simply about being a good player to about being a good streamer. And that WotC gets to choose them instead of having them dictated by standings, meaning a less white/straight/male/cis field (IMO, a positive change)

I get that it's a big move to go away from pure game skill to decent game skill plus an actually interesting personality, but from the perspective of watching the game it's a pure benefit. Plus, anything to move the LGS away from being a marginal white boys only club (I've watched it get better over the year or so I've been playing) seems like a pure positive benefit. Basically all my other nerd stuff benefited from hobby gentrification (I guess it's closer to reverse gentrification), because the nerd ghetto stuff only sells so much and creates a weird incestuous community. I guess we'll see in about five minutes if things are going to get as LOL bad as feared, or if we're just continuing down the path of making the game a bit less grinder-oriented at the top end.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Judge announcements are up, but the sites are getting hammered and no one can see them. There's also https://judgeacademy.com which redirects to a WordPress login page because why not.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

"Magic is dying" is a meme that is as old as the game. The times when the game was at its closest to dying was when organized play was at its worst. I don't understand the changes going on right now and quite frankly they don't seem to be good business.

pretty sure you can't blame organized play support for homelands

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sickening posted:

Nothing at the casual level right away. Hell, removal of the judge requirements from some comp rel events now makes more sense now.

The concern I have is how things can have a big impact when you gently caress with things at the very top. What happens to magic if there is no longer a pro tour or its turned into a promotional event for streamers and other personalities? What happens to magic if GP's don't lead to anything and possibly die off completely? What happens when your local competitive event stop getting all wotc support and die off?

There is an entire ecosystem that feeds from the top. Competitive decklists for big events causes tremors throughout the entire community. This in turn affects sales at all levels. Decks you play at your local FNM both with and against are affected by this if you know it or not.

could not agree more. We're looking at a product that's had a 30 year lifespan adopting models of products that tend to have much shorter lifespans.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Hi Judges,
There are some big changes coming for the judge community. Starting this fall, the judge community will organize its leadership, level structure, educational program, and promotional distribution through a new company called Judge Academy. Wizards of the Coast will work with Judge Academy through partnerships and promotions.

Currently, Wizards engages with judges by contracting them for competitive gaming events, communicating with Regional Coordinators and Program Coordinators, and distributing the incredible promo cards that are a hallmark of the community. In the last several years, Magic competitive gaming has grown exponentially—and the creation of Judge Academy is the next evolution of the community.

Many of you know Tim Shields, who runs Cascade Games. Tim has over 25 years of experience in competitive tabletop gaming and putting on great events from conventions up through Grands Prix. To support the judge community in taking this next step, Tim has established and is the owner of Judge Academy. I encourage you to read more about Judge Academy and their plans for fostering growth and sustainability for the judge community in this post from their new Program Manager, Nicolette Apraez.

Tim will be a wonderful steward for the Judge Community. He identifies strongly with judge values of self-improvement and inclusivity, and his hiring of Nicolette as the Program Manager shows a dedication to making sure this organization is in line with those values. Everyone at Judge Academy has already been hard at work consulting with your current judge leadership to ensure as seamless a transition as possible this fall. Your current Program Coordinators have put together some thoughts about this change here.

This new organization offers an opportunity to bring clear leadership and direction for Magic Judges, and Wizards is committed to supporting its success as the community continues to grow. Wizards will continue using certified judges for our competitive gaming events, and we will continue to print judge promos, which will be distributed through Judge Academy going forward. The Exemplar Wave closing on August 13, 2019 will be the final one that is directly distributed by Wizards, and Bryan Prillaman has more to say about this wave in a post on the Exemplar blog.

It has been wonderful being your community manager these past four years, and I am looking forward to continuing to interact with judges through our partnership with Judge Academy. I’m excited to see what’s next for my favorite community on Earth as they continue to make Magic fair and fun every day."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

quote:

You mentioned membership fees?
Judges will pay a yearly fee based on their level (all values are in USD) –

RA – Free or $50
Level 1 – $100
Level 2 – $200
Level 3 – $400

Rules Advisors with paying memberships will receive Judge Academy gaming accessories. Possibilities include sleeves, playmats, deck boxes, and more.

Level 1 Judges will receive Judge Foils and other considerations.
Level 2 Judges will receive additional Judge Foils and other considerations.
Level 3 Judges will receive additional Judge Foils and other considerations.

Judges are considered members in good standing when they complete their coursework and their membership fee. This membership lasts 1 calendar year from that date. Judges will be required to complete the upkeep requirements and renew their membership fee each year to remain in good standing.

Alright, so when do I pay my membership fee?
Judge registration begins on October 1, 2019. Judges who complete their membership requirements between October 1, 2019 and November 1, 2019 will enjoy an extra mailing of Judge Foils on November 15th, 2019 in addition to the Foils they will receive in 2020.

Can you give us any hints about upcoming Judge promos?
We are pleased to announce that the next four judge foils are going to be Chalice of the Void, Monastery Mentor, Reflecting Pool, and Yuriko, the Tiger’s Shadow – and all will be receiving new artwork!

Why are there membership dues?
Membership dues allow us to set up Judge Academy for current and future success as a program and company. They help the program in two main categories: covering structural costs, and supporting community initiatives. From a structure standpoint, they will provide us with full-time staff to manage and grow the program, contracted Community Managers, and all of the necessary support structure such as attorneys, accountants, and the like. We will also be continually hiring community members to help expanding the content and training on our site. We are also creating a budget for community initiatives. This includes everything from snacks and venue budgets for conferences, to a technology budget for CMs to spend on their region without it coming out of their own pockets. The program takes a ton of resources to run, but every set of dues means we are one step closer to being able to create new initiatives for the program, new features for JudgeAcademy.com, and additional CMs or other support roles.