Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Using half of them successfully against tanks is a 150% efficient trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The biggest problem with broodling is that it's incredibly slow so it really only ends up being useful in stalled out games against mech

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
edit: i guess the poster above me says basically the same thing so just read his tl;dr

The biggest issue with broodlings is that it takes 1000 years to save up enough mana to use them. You need to make Queens far, far in advance of when you actually plan to use them, which means locking up precious larva and gas well before the fact. These are two resources that Zerg have to balance extremely carefully and if your opponent doesn't do a full mech switch into heavy tank (which is where broodlings shine) you can get killed outright by a Bio push with a dozen half-energy Queens sitting around doing nothing.

Broodling is incredible in ZvT if you have time to get the mana but there's just no guarantees the risk will pan out no matter how well you read the opponent's build.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 11, 2019

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

everyone knows the real utility of queens is infesting command centers anyway

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Specifically, the neutral command center on Holy World in the ZvP matchup for drop overlord infested terrans

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Mata posted:

Specifically, the neutral command center on Holy World in the ZvP matchup for drop overlord infested terrans

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

everyone knows the real utility of queens is infesting command centers anyway

then you're gonna love the new ladder maps

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Do you think they named overlords because they are reminiscent of WW2 overlord or were they named overlords because it fit the theme and then someone made the connection and thought it'd be cool to add drops and stuff?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

omg what is stork doing to these overlords :stonk:

e: as a zerg player, that game hurt my soul even though i like stork

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 14, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

omg what is stork doing to these overlords :stonk:

e: as a zerg player, that game hurt my soul even though i like stork

:getin:

Game 3 was a pretty good game as well

Also the last game today shows exactly the problem with spawn broodling, even against mech

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The overlord massacre in Calm vs Stork is the funniest poo poo.

Khorne posted:

Do you think they named overlords because they are reminiscent of WW2 overlord or were they named overlords because it fit the theme and then someone made the connection and thought it'd be cool to add drops and stuff?

I think it's just an application of the dictionary definition of overlord. That they control/rule over lesser minions.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

0 good games last night, alas

E: Also, who's this guy casting with Cadenzie?

Elyv fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 16, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Bald dude is Creighton Olsen, he does some GSL casts. Not the best game knowledge but he can keep up a patter, and is less annoying than Rapid.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

yeah I thought he did a reasonable job, just not familiar with him.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I feel like they paired this guy with Cadenzie specifically to get her to talk. Having her paired with another analyst like Artosis was overwhelming. With Creighton she's flourishing because he's asking her alot of questions.

I actually didn't mind Rapid too much when he casted with Artosis earlier. What he lacks in game knowledge he seems to make up in knowledge about the player history and Korean BW culture, which I found interesting but is an aspect generally neglected by Tastosis.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I've kind of stockholm syndromed myself into liking rapid, or at least not really minding him. He def has the history of being around the korean BW scene basically forever which is indeed interesting to hear about, though his casting style is definitely intended to be more korean starcraft casting than 'missing half of tastosis'

Creighton did well with Cadenzie. She's got a lot of potential as a caster once she gets more experience as she's legit really knowledgeable and is actually good at BW

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

holy gently caress that first sharp vs. last match :eyepop:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Oh man I thought those TvT's were never going to end.

Also what's the deal with choosing Noregret over Rapid/Creighton...

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Geoff Robinson, aka InControl, has passed away due to sudden illness. I don't know anything else as of now, thought I'd post it here.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Helion posted:

Geoff Robinson, aka InControl, has passed away due to sudden illness. I don't know anything else as of now, thought I'd post it here.

Oh poo poo :(.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Helion posted:

Goddamn. :(

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

:(

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Ah that sucks. :(

Could be related to this:

https://twitter.com/iNcontroLTV/status/1142856033687048192

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wtf was going on in that last Light vs Larva game? Seemed like Larva was doing ok until all of a sudden he was 50 supply behind and the first serious push just completely rolled him. Was that all due to econ damage done by the wraiths?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
econ damage, money put into spores, larva and money spent rebuilding overlords, etc. iirc

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

also hydralurk is not great against bio/tank/vessel

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Some really good games there. Larva still struggling to progress though.

Not really looking forward to the PvP fest up next but the group after with Flash should be good.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Now that the Cartooned mod is out, I kind of want to see, like, the qualifier matches or something played with that mod

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Finally got caught up on wednesday's games. Having twice as many games to watch is kind of annoying about the format change.

I got curious about the game Tasteless and Artosis were talking about with the supposedly amazing mindgame, so I went looking (after having to listen to that part several times in order to make out the search terms they were suggesting), and I think I found it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRS0UX3xOhA
Holy poo poo, that's amazing.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

:stare: Well, that sure was a Reaver all-in in game 1.

Also a wonderful example of Dragoon pathfinding in winners match round 1.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Nostalgamus posted:

I got curious about the game Tasteless and Artosis were talking about with the supposedly amazing mindgame, so I went looking (after having to listen to that part several times in order to make out the search terms they were suggesting), and I think I found it:

Thanks for tracking that down. I thought the mindgame would be the old 'cancel building after it's scouted' switcheroo, but I didn't expect that. :aaa:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Nostalgamus posted:

Finally got caught up on wednesday's games. Having twice as many games to watch is kind of annoying about the format change.

If anyone is wondering exactly what's happening here (starts at ~5:35), Terran knows the Overlord has vision on the minerals... but nothing further than that; Casy then sends SCVs to start mining, creating the illusion of an expansion there, and therefore masking the incoming rush :laugh:

drepimetheus
Aug 10, 2018
Thanks. I watched it a couple times through and didn't understand the context. I thank you from the bottom of my bronze heart.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

If I was Best I would have been so salty after the match against Snow I'm pretty sure, I think he outplayed Snow both games except for that hidden base

also what was with Snow's elevator obsession, wtf. It worked zero times

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Flash is really good

I don't know why I'm bothering to spoiler this

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

with effort and soulkey going to the military and jaedong being in a major slump, does that leave fuckin sacsri as the best active zerg player in brood war right now?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Of the two zerg still left in the tournament I think Action is better than Sacsri. Maybe Larva too.

Definitely weird though, none of those guys is anywhere near as good at their race as Flash, Last or Rain is at theirs.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

with effort and soulkey going to the military and jaedong being in a major slump, does that leave fuckin sacsri as the best active zerg player in brood war right now?

action is really loving good, i think he might be better than soulkey

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Action has looked good this tournament but he’s never won anything. Soulkey is a champion

Whatever happened to Hero, is he doing military now as well? That dude looked really good last year

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Sacsri's games were fun to watch so I don't mind that. I can't remember if it was him but the queen/broodling play against mech that we've been seeing a lot doesn't seem to pan out as well as just going mass muta when they don't bother to get valks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It seems like it just doesn’t work at all unless the Terran is totally clueless and has no vessels and no anti air. Goliaths take out some of the queens whenever they close on the ground army and irradiates pick off the survivors so Zerg is constantly paying to replace them, and they cost so much that the ground army winds up too weak to take the Terran on.

Whoever manages to pull it off will look like a god though