Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
Brand / part advice for a new home system? Current home is not wired at all.

Looking to start with motion sense (2 or 3), door opening sensors (2 or 3 doors), an alarm (tripped by motion & door), and some sort of control (would be cool by phone connected to a small PC, like a Lenovo ThinkCentre etc).

Might branch into cameras later, but to start, really just interested in the sensors. Most of the advice that I have seen has dealt with cameras. I would like to try them out (and leverage Docker, ML, etc), but I need the standard equipment first. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ring? $10/month or $100/year monitoring with cell backup. Systems aren't crazy expensive. Their cameras aren't great though, I run blue Iris and a bunch of Dahua cameras separately.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Yeah, I'd agree with ring. Door bell + internal systems. Occasionally it goes on sale for a very reasonable value.

We set this up on a two story that isn't lived in any longer, it was very easy to setup. The ability to check in via app also provides a lot of piece of mind.

I agree their camera solutions suck, they're way too expensive. My only real gripe is they still don't have glass break sensors.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm not much a fan of glass break sensors, but I think you can add that via Alexa Guard. I figure the motion sensors will catch things more reliably than glass break.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

stevewm posted:

Additionally, Home Assistant can control it locally without any cloud stuff.

I thought HA could do Z-wave directly. Is that not the case?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I thought HA could do Z-wave directly. Is that not the case?

No, it definitely does ZWave directly, no idea what that dude is talking about.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I guess I could see how what I wrote could be misunderstood.

I was only pointing out that the TPLink switches could be locally controlled without any cloud connectivity (though you do need it for initial setup). I didn't mean to say that ZWave couldn't.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My house got broken into a couple weeks ago, and while I'm trying to find a new place to live (long story) it would be nice to have something to at least get a video feed if the burglars come back for all the poo poo they missed due to my roommate coming home before they must have expected (the back door was wide open with all the heavy poo poo sitting next to it and they were gone when he came in).

I already have a webcam, so I'm wondering if there's a practical way to just set it up pointed at the door to my room, and stream to a cloud location (possbily AWS, I already have an AWS account and am taking a course for an AWS cert). Ideally motion sensing so it starts streaming once something moves so I'm not uploading a gig or two per hour to my AWS account, that would start to add up. I mean I'll probably still get a bunch of footage of my cat knocking poo poo over, but that's a given.

I'll probably look into a real security set-up once I'm somewhere else, but right now money is going to getting the gently caress out of here.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Haven't used it myself, but https://www.zoneminder.com/ seems to be the usual recommendation for people trying to set up surveillance stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My roommates and I are looking for a good non Amazon smart doorbell. Preferably under $150. Any suggestions?

E: it needs to work with both iOS and Android, btw.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Vince MechMahon posted:

My roommates and I are looking for a good non Amazon smart doorbell. Preferably under $150. Any suggestions?

E: it needs to work with both iOS and Android, btw.

Nest owns

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I just moved into a small 1-bedroom apartment and I'm looking for a pretty basic security camera. I have a setup where I have a locked front/outside door and then climb some stairs and then there are two doors, one to my apartment and one to my neighbors (both locked).

I'd like just a basic camera, ideally one I could access from my phone, though I'm not sure what would be the best location. I could put it inside my home on the door, or (pending talking to my neighbor) in the stairway up to my apartment. I also have a 2nd story porch I could put it on to face the path up to my house, my concern being 1) it probably wouldnt see a lot in the event of a break-in 2) if it were motion sensored it would go off all the time from people walking through my neighborhood.

Any suggestions?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

I'm considering a nest right now. Currently I have a ring pro.

Everything I've seen says that the nest hello is better than the ring pro except for notification time. A 10+ second delay for notifications seems like a long time. The ring pro notifies within a couple of seconds, but then it takes a bit to actually get the notification to load into a video. I'm guessing in the end, that the Nest Hello will be better because the notification it sends actually has a clip of the action or at least a screenshot. But I can't really tell without buying one and trying it if I will still prefer the notifications on the ring.

Is anyone here with a Nest Hello really bothered by delays in notifications?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I get notifications from my Nest Hello in less than a second.

I'd throw it in the garbage if it was longer than a couple seconds.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Yeah. My notifications are great. Would still buy nest again today.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I do know some people do report having those delays, I just don't know why some people get them and I don't.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I do know some people do report having those delays, I just don't know why some people get them and I don't.

I think the first factor is the transformer powering the doorbell. Replacing the one that was installed in 1998 helped quite a bit.

Also, it seems picky about the bandwidth on the phone, at least in regards to playing the video.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Ok, thanks. I have a pretty fast connection/bandwidth, so I'm going to give it a try.

The Ring Pro notification is quick, but trying to go from the text only notification to actually view the video of what triggered the notification is a pretty big hassle (on android at least). Plus with the Nest, I can get a Next Hub and it'll integrate with my system a bit better.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

beerinator posted:

Ok, thanks. I have a pretty fast connection/bandwidth, so I'm going to give it a try.

The Ring Pro notification is quick, but trying to go from the text only notification to actually view the video of what triggered the notification is a pretty big hassle (on android at least). Plus with the Nest, I can get a Next Hub and it'll integrate with my system a bit better.

If I'm fast enough, sometimes I can look at the Nest notification before the preview animation of the event has loaded. When that happens (IIRC), there's a second Nest notification indicating that it's loading something and then very very quickly the text-only notification I'm looking at updates with the preview.

It's pretty seamless and painless.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Alarbus posted:

I think the first factor is the transformer powering the doorbell. Replacing the one that was installed in 1998 helped quite a bit.

Also, it seems picky about the bandwidth on the phone, at least in regards to playing the video.

Any tips here? I bought a replacement but damned if I can find where the old one is installed.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Keystoned posted:

Any tips here? I bought a replacement but damned if I can find where the old one is installed.

Around here they are commonly inside the breaker panel (likely against code, but they do it anyways), attached to, or near the breaker box.

Mine was actually inside the breaker box.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My neighbor's was above the hardwired basement smoke alarm, mine was above the outlet for the water heater. Key difference is that half of my basement is finished.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Keystoned posted:

The one in my house is attached to an old pull string light base in the basement.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Florida house here (no basement), and my doorbell transformer is mounted on the ceiling of my garage, almost directly above the breaker box.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Is there any reason outside of convenience to go with ADT, Vivint or Vector for a security system rather than Ring or Simplisafe? Like are their response times or customer service at all better? We have an old Vivint system installed, with 4 doors and a motion sensor installed, as well as an electronic deadbolt on one of the doors, but never started service with them. Would want an additional motion sensor, some window sensors, maybe a connected smoke/CO detector and water sensors for the sump pump/water heater. We do need monitored service security-wise, but it looked like $45/mo with the big name brands vs $10-15/mo with the DIY stuff. It also seemed crazy that they'd charge us additional to add cameras and/or any smart home integration, like $10/mo additional, when I could just get a hub and do it myself for free. Like Vector wants $10/mo just to be able to control the door remotely, but if I read correctly (it's a Kwikset 910), I should just be able to get a compatible smart hub and connect it?

Wife's opinion is that she doesn't want to deal with it at all and would lean toward any solution where we could just call someone if things don't work. But it seems like getting a Ring system is way cheaper in the long run, and doesn't seem all that different in the end outside of having the install/troubleshoot myself.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I had a motion sensor trigger at 1AM on my Ring a few weeks ago. Professional monitoring called me, I gave my code, and I checked it out. Nothing better or worse than ADT, and 1/4 the price. The app works great, the hardware seems solid, and it's cheap as chips for 24/7 monitoring and cell backup. I've got a Yale Zwave lock that it can control, just haven't installed it yet. I don't understand why ADT is still in business.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

sharkytm posted:

I don't understand why ADT is still in business.

Like with most every one of these companies the answer is “Boomers” :haw:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
And "aggressive customer retention policies"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

sharkytm posted:

And "aggressive customer retention policies"

This is definitely the case for Cable TV providers and landline telephone service as well!

Hmm now I am interested in one of these alarm system packages, are there any good ones that integrate with HomeKit? I’ve kind of just gone with that for all my stuff so far..

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Chu020 posted:

Is there any reason outside of convenience to go with ADT, Vivint or Vector for a security system rather than Ring or Simplisafe? Like are their response times or customer service at all better? We have an old Vivint system installed, with 4 doors and a motion sensor installed, as well as an electronic deadbolt on one of the doors, but never started service with them. Would want an additional motion sensor, some window sensors, maybe a connected smoke/CO detector and water sensors for the sump pump/water heater. We do need monitored service security-wise, but it looked like $45/mo with the big name brands vs $10-15/mo with the DIY stuff. It also seemed crazy that they'd charge us additional to add cameras and/or any smart home integration, like $10/mo additional, when I could just get a hub and do it myself for free. Like Vector wants $10/mo just to be able to control the door remotely, but if I read correctly (it's a Kwikset 910), I should just be able to get a compatible smart hub and connect it?

Wife's opinion is that she doesn't want to deal with it at all and would lean toward any solution where we could just call someone if things don't work. But it seems like getting a Ring system is way cheaper in the long run, and doesn't seem all that different in the end outside of having the install/troubleshoot myself.

Check and see if you have any local companies that offer monitoring. We use one local to us, had them install our system, and it's $180/yr for monitoring, plus $10/mo for a cellular communicator. I could swap it over to internet for monitoring and drop the cellular, but I like the peace of mind of the cellular communicator, plus it runs of the system battery backup, so with a power loss I've still got monitoring.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Chu020 posted:

Is there any reason outside of convenience to go with ADT, Vivint or Vector for a security system rather than Ring or Simplisafe? Like are their response times or customer service at all better?

Central stations (the place where your alarm goes to and who calls the relevant help in) are highly regulated. And very much contracted out by pretty much all "alarm companies" these days.

ADT stuff is typically junk and purposefully incompatible with anything else. It's also middle tier to garbage equipment. They like to do shady poo poo for retention. Do not recommend.

(note since there may not be crossover to many DIY threads from here: I'm a former fire marshal. I dealt with alarms/alarm plans/testing/sign off and alarm companies as part of my job.)

I'm currently using Abode. I've had some false alarms, and it looks like it's the First Alert combo smoke/CO2s causing the issues (which is the recommended smoke to pair it with). Their support has been top notch through this, even though its looking like it's technically not "their problem". They've sent out a new gateway just to be sure and have told me to hold on to both for a while. Super responsive and helpful.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I should move this Home Assistant installation off HASS.io to something more manageable. My Pi just rebooted, and HASS.io is pretty much preventing access to the actual system logs to figure out what the gently caress happened. Who the hell over there figured hiding /var/log/messages is a nice thing to do?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I gave up on hassio a while back.

I just run the hass docker image myself and configure things how I like. I use docker-compose to run hass, mosquitto, appdaemon, and whatever else is required.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I'm still pretty happy with hass.io, but based on the stories I've heard I certainly wouldn't be if I was running it on a Pi. Mines on my VMWare server.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just ordered a 4GB Pi4 to run HA and friends. Will I regret that?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Motronic posted:

I'm still pretty happy with hass.io, but based on the stories I've heard I certainly wouldn't be if I was running it on a Pi. Mines on my VMWare server.

Yeah this is why I installed Hass.io on top of Ubuntu on a cheap mini-pc I bought off eBay... Then its all docker containers. I can install other containers outside of Hass if I want to.

I originally tried using VMs... but since I use a USB stick for Zwave... USB passthrough to VMs in general is terrible and barely works.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The main issue I had with Hassio on the Pi 3+ was database bloat. Once I set the recorder to limit the scope of what is recorded and to purge every three days, it is fine.

https://www.home-assistant.io/components/recorder/

Another problem I'm having now seems to be a bug that was introduced recently. On cold boot, the DuckDNS add-on will apparently try to start and give up before the network is ready.

Moving Hassio to my home server would probably fix this, but introduce some other new and exciting issues.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I generally haven't had many USB passthrough issues with ESX 6.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

KillHour posted:

I generally haven't had many USB passthrough issues with ESX 6.

Same. And absolutely none with this zwave stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Also echoing that ESXi passthrough is pretty drat stable currently.