Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Part of the thing that distracted in from TSCC was the opening. Cameron comes off perfectly normal and human and even convincingly flirts with John in class before her reveal, then spends the rest of the show staring awkwardly at things going "beep boop, what are humans like?" They should have minimized her role or even made John flirt with her and she coldly shoots him down, that way she could still be convincing when she turned out to be a machine.

One of my favorite parts was still when John has to stick his arm into Cameron's stomach to check if she's leaking radiation, and they frame the entire scene like an intimate sex scene as he's literally digging around her robot guts with his fist. That and urinal T-1000, obviously.

Edit: Robot sex page snipe, nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Farm Frenzy posted:

wow ive heard goons gush about this sequence for years and never watched it until now and i gotta say its lame as hell

Yeah. The show is just devoid of style. You can only figure that they're watching it for "likeable characters" and the plot.

Salvation and Genesis aren't leadenly paced and looking like Smallville.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That's true, TSCC was well plotted and had a few characters that people latched onto but that was about it. With network t.v. that's usually all that's required though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not defending the plot, but Salvation looked loving great. The cinematography, effects, costumes, and props, all a joy to watch.

Genisys, whatever its merits, is yet another film that's a TV episode with twice the runtime and 100 times the budget. And everything that makes you go "Oh, that's neat" is revealed in the trailer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wild T posted:

One of my favorite parts was still when John has to stick his arm into Cameron's stomach to check if she's leaking radiation

If she was wouldn't he die of cancer dooming humanity

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

RBA Starblade posted:

If she was wouldn't he die of cancer dooming humanity

It's been a while, but if I'm remembering right, Cameron tells Sarah early on that she's going to die of cancer in the future, which is one of her big character arcs. Cameron begins to suspect her batteries may be leaking cancer-causing radiation and is wondering if that's what causes it, so her solution is to have the one guy she should want to be furthest from literally lay on top of her and stick his hand up in there to check.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wild T posted:

It's been a while, but if I'm remembering right, Cameron tells Sarah early on that she's going to die of cancer in the future, which is one of her big character arcs. Cameron begins to suspect her batteries may be leaking cancer-causing radiation and is wondering if that's what causes it, so her solution is to have the one guy she should want to be furthest from literally lay on top of her and stick his hand up in there to check.

Imagine how lovely an ai must be to lose to these people

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

Genisys, whatever its merits, is yet another film that's a TV episode with twice the runtime and 100 times the budget. And everything that makes you go "Oh, that's neat" is revealed in the trailer.

Hey now, Genesis has very nice cinematography.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Wild T posted:

T2 Sarah Connor was awesome because she could switch it on or off. Just watch the scene where they rescue her from the mental institution. She goes from cold, emotionless and calculating, to rage, back to cold, to sheer pants-making GBS threads terror, to maternal concern, then back to business in about a 15 minute scene.

Yeah, contrast that against the Dark Fate trailers, where she may as well be doing a Dominic Toretto impression.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah. TSCC is praised for playing with ideas that were better than the concurrent movies were playing with, and doing a few surprising things with the mythos.

It's not that it's an actual *great* show, it's just marginally more interesting than concurrent, similar things. It's not a Hannibal or The Wire or Spartacus, it's just a network distraction.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I loved how the show killed off a major character because even though they knew there was a terminator around, were not careful in the slightest.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Did Skynet ever send a Terminator forward in time?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Why would it? The whole reason it sent the original Terminator back to 1984 was because the Resistance had won and breached the central core, it was a Hail Mary.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ostensibly there might be a time in the distant future where humanity has recovered and doesn't take the myth of Skynet seriously anymore and an actual infiltrator unit could gently caress some poo poo up/set up the return of Skynet.

Alternatively, maybe Skynet ran a bunch of probability matrixes and figured out that it's key to survival was sending a Terminator forwards in the future to stave off some other threat (aliens? climate change? extinction level celestial event? weird divergence in human technology that leads to a biological enemy rather than a technological one and having a machine that's immune to a plague or parasites or whatever would be extremely clutch?) in order to help humanity survive that. poo poo, I'd watch that over another redux of the Conner Family Chronicles.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fried Watermelon posted:

I think that's just called waiting.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

grate deceiver posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFxMgJw6KRk&t=222s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Timby posted:

Why would it? The whole reason it sent the original Terminator back to 1984 was because the Resistance had won and breached the central core, it was a Hail Mary.

part of the reason i didn't like the show and can't stand the new movies is they seem to forget this part.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

Kind of; John Connor from the 2000s got sent to the future war.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Arnold looks like a GPILF with the white goatee, man.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Darko posted:

Kind of; John Connor from the 2000s got sent to the future war.

I like how this was a genuinely good way to close the loop.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

But you see, you could send a Terminator forward in time with the intention of gathering future tech/data and then sending it back in time to the "present" which is still our future.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iamsosmrt posted:

But you see, you could send a Terminator forward in time with the intention of gathering future tech/data and then sending it back in time to the "present" which is still our future.

Isn't it one-way? I haven't watched Salvation or Genisys in ages, because I don't want to break my brain, but I thought Reese told Sarah that the time-travel was one-way and there was no way to skip forwards and backwards.

Although a part of my brain thinks that Genisys broke that rule ... and like gently caress if I'm watching that piece of poo poo again.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Timby posted:

Isn't it one-way? I haven't watched Salvation or Genisys in ages, because I don't want to break my brain, but I thought Reese told Sarah that the time-travel was one-way and there was no way to skip forwards and backwards.

Although a part of my brain thinks that Genisys broke that rule ... and like gently caress if I'm watching that piece of poo poo again.

While I was being entirely tonge-in-cheek, I don't remember if they ever established a rule about that. Seems a bit pointless for him to clarify to her during their predicament, but I could be wrong.

Still, Skynet could literally build itself a capsule of some sort to lay dormant for awhile and have that be effectively be a form of time travel, especially since the passage of time could be arbitrary to a computer (unless there's some weird Y2K-esque flaw I guess). Anyway, under that circumstance, Skynet could theoretically plan for losing the war, upload itself into a Terminator unit and then infiltrate a latter time machine to warp back to whenever it wanted and resetting things in its favor. And yes, this isn't that far off from the overall plot of Genesys, but I think that involved parallel traveling.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Timby posted:

Yeah in Terminator 1 and 2 it's a one way trip because there'd be no way to make a time displacement device with the past's technology. Reese is explicit about how there's no going back, period, and the T-800 explicitly says it has to be killed because it's the last bit of future technology there, going back is never even brought up.

Genisys I don't think broke that though, but instead had some weird poo poo where he was remembering stuff from a different timeline? It was still just one way time travel though. I too will opt to not watch it again to find out.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ohhh, that's what you mean by one way. Yeah, a trip is one way. I was considering the actual time machine itself, it could theoretically send someone or something forward, which would still be a one way trip. That future traveler would theoretically have access to a time machine in the far future to do my hare brained scheme.

Actually, in Genesys, didn't they build a time machine in 1983ish to send Kyle and Sarah into the future around 2012 or whenever year apps were getting big and new and scary.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 31, 2019

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Yes

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Yes, the TV series also did the same thing to nullify T3.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
"Instead of using this head start to set up an inescapable trap or stop it before it happens, lets just skip all this valuable set-up time and warp to the very moment of disaster and wing it with no preparation or planning!" God Genysis and TSCC were dumb.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
With TSCC, they were at least skipping over Sarah's cancer and trying to give both the FBI and Cromartie the slip, with still something like five years until Skynet came online.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

galagazombie posted:

"Instead of using this head start to set up an inescapable trap or stop it before it happens, lets just skip all this valuable set-up time and warp to the very moment of disaster and wing it with no preparation or planning!" God Genysis and TSCC were dumb.

They left it to pops to prepare for stuff in Genisys, I guess the hypothetical sequel could have explored the zany stuff he had been up to in that time.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah in Terminator 1 and 2 it's a one way trip because there'd be no way to make a time displacement device with the past's technology. Reese is explicit about how there's no going back, period, and the T-800 explicitly says it has to be killed because it's the last bit of future technology there, going back is never even brought up.

Genisys I don't think broke that though, but instead had some weird poo poo where he was remembering stuff from a different timeline? It was still just one way time travel though. I too will opt to not watch it again to find out.

I'd have to go back and rewatch, but for some reason I'm remembering as part of Reese's interrogation he mentions that they destroyed the device after they sent him back. Which is, of course, immediately discarded for the rest of the franchise unless you go with the altered timelines theory, which then craps on the "no fate" theme of the first two films.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

galagazombie posted:

That's not what TSCC did at all, really.

Basically the answer to every Terminator related time travel question is "TSCC did it." Including sending them way back with time machine blueprints to gradually build time machines and T-1000s being around too long to create their own awareness and building their own Skynets that are better than actual Skynet because they think Skynet sucks. TSCC was all a temporal war with warring timelines.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wild T posted:

I'd have to go back and rewatch, but for some reason I'm remembering as part of Reese's interrogation he mentions that they destroyed the device after they sent him back. Which is, of course, immediately discarded for the rest of the franchise unless you go with the altered timelines theory, which then craps on the "no fate" theme of the first two films.

the logic of the second film is that they discovered the t-1000 was sent back after reese had already gone through so he wasn't aware of that. but yeah after that it makes no sense.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I never watched TSCC, and reading posts from this thread makes me glad I never did and never will.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iamsosmrt posted:

I never watched TSCC, and reading posts from this thread makes me glad I never did and never will.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

the logic of the second film is that they discovered the t-1000 was sent back after reese had already gone through so he wasn't aware of that. but yeah after that it makes no sense.

I think after that it became like, "oh actually we went further down the hallway at Skynet HQ and found another time machine, whoops!"

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

Reading summaries of things always sounds terrible. Aliens or T2 would sound stupid reading a flat summary as a followup to seeing the first films without actually seeing the movie. Especially a TV show since they are typically set up to have peaks and plot changes in every episode while still having season long arcs.

Not that TSCC was anything but an amusing diversion (still better than anything after T2 except the fan cut of 3 that is the best fan cut of anything ever), but that's still a pretty bad rule of thumb to judge anything by.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Darko posted:

Reading summaries of things always sounds terrible. Aliens or T2 would sound stupid reading a flat summary as a followup to seeing the first films without actually seeing the movie. Especially a TV show since they are typically set up to have peaks and plot changes in every episode while still having season long arcs.

Not that TSCC was anything but an amusing diversion (still better than anything after T2 except the fan cut of 3 that is the best fan cut of anything ever), but that's still a pretty bad rule of thumb to judge anything by.

I mean I wasn't interested when the show was on, I never believed that a network TV show could do justice to T2. I never heard anything to change my mind in the last decade and this thread only reinforces that. It was also on FOX, which was notorious for being fickle with its shows at the time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

iamsosmrt posted:

I mean I wasn't interested when the show was on, I never believed that a network TV show could do justice to T2. I never heard anything to change my mind in the last decade and this thread only reinforces that. It was also on FOX, which was notorious for being fickle with its shows at the time.

I mean, yea, it doesn't live up to the standards of T2 but what does? T2 is probably one of the top 5 action movies ever made. But it was fun and interesting for people who enjoyed nerding out about the various possibilities that a time travel story with killer robots offers. Like a Terminator soap opera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hey now, Genesis has very nice cinematography.
Rewatching some clips, I have to admit it is filmed well. The overall production design doesn't hold a candle to Salvation, though.