Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Is that duct tape?

Gotta make sure the mailbox's incriminating tattoos are covered up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1155570060183949312

lmao

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Like you're already a severely online weirdo lying about dumb poo poo left and right, why not smash up your mailbox a little to sell it?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
"Mailbox Babadook"

Mods, need thread subtitle change.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1155632831697235969

SeRiOuS bUsInEsS.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Bless that woman for triggering more chuds in a day than most of us can in a year.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Bless that woman for triggering more chuds in a day than most of us can in a year.

Not to be that girl, but can we not use the word triggering?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

We're gonna have to do this in Urdu to keep from offending anyone.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

You guys could at least try to give the impression that you're not just patting each other on the back about the fact that you're not nazis whenever someone suggests that that the language/attitudes you're expressing in this thread isn't the greatest.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

Not to be that girl, but can we not use the word triggering?

Did it just do that to you?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Epic post man. Is your next joke going to be about attack helicopters?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rhyno posted:

You do realize that the phrase "trigger warning" was originally invented to warn rape victims about content that might trigger their PTSD. People expanded on it in an attempt to try to make people more sensitive to others issues.

The phrase "triggering" was a perversion of the term invented by the alt right as a way of mocking people and claiming that the left were overly sensitive "snowflakes." The alt right also perverted it to effectively shut down an attempt to help rape victims and to shut down an attempt to try to teach people to be more sensitive to each other's needs, as both are anthenma to them.

By using these terms, you're only helping them and spitting on your own beliefs.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Covok posted:

You do realize that the phrase "trigger warning" was originally invented to warn rape victims about content that might trigger their PTSD. People expanded on it in an attempt to try to make people more sensitive to others issues.

The phrase "triggering" was a perversion of the term invented by the alt right as a way of mocking people and claiming that the left were overly sensitive "snowflakes." The alt right also perverted it to effectively shut down an attempt to help rape victims and to shut down an attempt to try to teach people to be more sensitive to each other's needs, as both are anthenma to them.

By using these terms, you're only helping them and spitting on your own beliefs.

Language changes over time and I have no qualms with rubbing the nose of fragile manchildren into the poo poo they created. In no way does it spit on my own beliefs to mock them for being the addle-minded oversensitive children they have wrongfully accused others of being.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ablest rhetoric and language is awesome when I use it, actually

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
"Buttfrustrating" and assorted variants are funnier and without association to a valid issue, seems a better choice all around.

Covok
May 27, 2013

420 Gank Mid posted:

Language changes over time and I have no qualms with rubbing the nose of fragile manchildren into the poo poo they created. In no way does it spit on my own beliefs to mock them for being the addle-minded oversensitive children they have wrongfully accused others of being.

That isn't how things work.

Roth posted:

You guys could at least try to give the impression that you're not just patting each other on the back about the fact that you're not nazis whenever someone suggests that that the language/attitudes you're expressing in this thread isn't the greatest.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

420 Gank Mid posted:

There aren't any chuds here, how are you mocking them? All you're actually doing is bringing chud language into this thread and reminding everyone how tremendously successful they were at turning the term into a joke, to the point where even people who are ostensibly allies will join in on making a mockery of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't "butthurt" and all variations based in gay slurs?

And I apologize, that previous post was in poor taste.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Love to conflate my assault flashbacks and some dipshit being a baby about women existing, hell yeah.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

420 Gank Mid posted:

That's not what "language changes over time" means and it does far more harm to those suffering from PTSD than it does to "fragile manchildren" who do not give a poo poo about what specific phrasing you use.

You have to understand that saying they're "triggered" doesn't have the effect you think it does. Triggered in their mind only has negative connotations, so they don't see any irony. To them, you may as well be using the word "stupidhead" (though, to be fair, they're usually fragile enough that "stupidhead" is enough to get the job done)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

420 Gank Mid posted:

"Trigger warning" and "triggering" are fairly young terms and as such, yes, they're fairly plastic. But they both have their roots in very serious and earnest discussions about PTSD in pretty theoretically savvy feminist activist discourse circa the mid-aughts, and, when used in good faith, remain aligned pretty closely with rhetorics of trauma, and more importantly, how to cultivate a language of care and empathy that avoids causing further harm to the people around you.

My history with the terms are mostly professional although I'd run into them on social justice tumblr in, like, 2010-2011. I entered grad school and started teaching at just around the same time that the subject of the trigger warning did, and was sort of on the front lines as some teachers started adopting them for their syllabi and other teachers began to dig in their heels about the freedom to provoke and agitate. I'll be frank-- I was an early adopter and I advocate very strongly for them. Numerous students have thanked me for giving them the opportunity to plan ahead for how to interface with subject matter that might otherwise really gently caress up their day. I consider it an issue of professional and ethical responsibility.

I'm also of course aware that it carries a slightly different valence elsewhere on the internet, a much broader definition of getting somebody's goat or whatever, but like, Covok is correct, these meanings come from, at best, irony-poisoned callousness, and at worst (and more frequently) the alt-right or proto-alt-right. As a jokey term it doesn't exist in a vacuum-- it exists in the willful and casual denigration of people who have been profoundly hurt and who are at risk of being hurt again. Much like the fat thing, or the sex worker thing, or any other situation in this thread where I pause and think like, "am I being a pedantic little school-marm*, does picking this nit really matter?" I ultimately think it does matter. It's like that justly classic Audre Lorde thing about not being able to dismantle the master's house with the master's tools-- if we insist on fighting reactionaries with language that further alienates and degrades the already marginalized, we're not really fighting reaction as such.

I think a lot of you in this thread are very clearly smart, kind, people who are passionate about pushing back on the horrific rise of popular fascism in culture, and I know that doing a thorough inventory on your own language is hard, boring work, but it's worth it.

*trick question, I am in fact, physically, professionally, and constitutionally, a pedantic little school-marm, but hey, you go to war with the army you've got I suppose

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Isn't this what got the last thread closed and locked?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Part of the problem is that humor is in part pain related. It's that shared wince at a memory. If you have to remove all sharpness out of language you end up with a joyless safespace. Balance is needed, and is healthier.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

Not even remotely?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Darth Brooks posted:

Part of the problem is that humor is in part pain related. It's that shared wince at a memory. If you have to remove all sharpness out of language you end up with a joyless safespace. Balance is needed, and is healthier.

I mean, I make fun of my own anxiety issues all the time with dumb humor, but having somebody else make uncomfortable jokes with language that's punching down wouldn't be appreciated. Like, Jesus Christ, it's not that hard to just go "Oh, sorry, I don't want you to be uncomfortable with x joke" and just drop it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

Not even remotely?

I thought it was pointless eating our own in fighting just like is going on right now. This is why the CHUDs always win and will continue to. One side can't take anymore perceived as a slight and the other gets pissed and feels like they're being accused of being a hateful rear end in a top hat because of careless word choice, neither can loving let it go. Cool job, all involved.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm not going to be sorry for expecting better than jokes that weren't funny in 2012.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The CHUDs can never win. One of the rules of life is that it's never worth planning revenge on evil / stupid people because there is nothing you can do to them that is as bad as what they will do to themselves.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roth posted:

I'm not going to be sorry for expecting better than jokes that weren't funny in 2012.

And you shouldn't. But here's how his should have went:

Other dude: "some dumb poo poo he shouldn't say.".

You: "hey that word makes me uncomfortable, can you not use it like that."

Other dude: "oh I'm sorry, yes I'll stop using it in here."

Done. Instead you came off like a right wing parody of the left and the other dude is coming off like a loving stupid rear end in a top hat, and we've got a page long derail. Just awesome.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Vince MechMahon posted:

Nah, that was mostly people bringing up bad-faith defenses of nazis and getting decorum poisoned that nazis were being called scum that got the last thread closed.

It's fine to discuss terminology and phrasing and the words we use do have an impact on the society we live in.

Zinkraptor posted:

You have to understand that saying they're "triggered" doesn't have the effect you think it does. Triggered in their mind only has negative connotations, so they don't see any irony. To them, you may as well be using the word "stupidhead" (though, to be fair, they're usually fragile enough that "stupidhead" is enough to get the job done)

This however is incredibly and empirically false. Emasculation and public shaming are key components of antifascism because fascists draw public support from highly public shows of masculinity and toughness. Casting them in any light that shows them as the stunted and pathetic wastrels they are is a good thing and cannot be overutilized. Which is why I made the post in the first place congratulating ren on causing so many highly public meltdowns.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

And you shouldn't. But here's how his should have went:

Other dude: "some dumb poo poo he shouldn't say.".

You: "hey that word makes me uncomfortable, can you not use it like that."

Other dude: "oh I'm sorry, yes I'll stop using it in here."

Done. Instead you came off like a right wing parody of the left and the other dude is coming off like a loving stupid rear end in a top hat, and we've got a page long derail. Just awesome.

I mean, all that happened was Covok asking to not use "triggered" like that, and then me pointing out how dumb it is to get hostile over that and shitposting in kind to Rhyno's garbage post.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roth posted:

I mean, all that happened was Covok asking to not use "triggered" like that, and then me pointing out how dumb it is to get hostile over that and shitposting in kind to Rhyno's garbage post.

Rhynos post is the worst part and escalated everything about it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

I thought it was pointless eating our own in fighting just like is going on right now. This is why the CHUDs always win and will continue to. One side can't take anymore perceived as a slight and the other gets pissed and feels like they're being accused of being a hateful rear end in a top hat because of careless word choice, neither can loving let it go. Cool job, all involved.

1.) "the CHUDs always win and will continue to" is a dreadfully bleak and presentist argument I think. If reaction always won out I wouldn't have been able to be married to my wife, and we certainly wouldn't be able to, for the most part, live our lives happily and publicly without much harassment. I belong to a lively, tenacious union that has made my job better and which organizes joint actions with other causes in my city which have gotten real, tangible results. CHUDS definitely don't always win. As much as Pride stuff has been corporatized, and as much as the trope of the "post-racial" society has been justly skewered, people struggling for social justice and equality have made tremendous gains over the past century, and they've done so by tempering their realism and canniness with optimism. Today's alt-right nudniks are the way they are because they're the symptomatic death wiggles of a dying ideology. They aren't winning-- they're just futilely trying to drag everyone else down with them.

2.) Autocritique is integral to any meaningful leftist organizing precisely because nobody is perfect and everyone can learn to think critically about their own privileges and bias by listening to other people. I'm not saying a forum thread is the same as a union or an action group but in any progressive body if someone from a marginalized group responds to any language or action with "I'm not comfortable with that" or "that reproduces x, y, or z form of oppression," then there's almost always value in putting aside one's bruised ego and listening and thinking seriously about it.

I don't think this thread, insofar as it's useful or valuable at all, is useful or valuable as a space for people to toast themselves for not being literal nazis. If the comics industry or, more broadly, comics culture including fan culture is plagued with problems right now, I think this space can be used as a venue to think about how it could be improved, and part of that project is in making conversations within that culture more inclusive.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Yeah, to me the important thing about leftist thought is the desire to self-improve and learn how to be a better person. I guess my posts come across as rather hostile, but I'm mostly just annoyed that it feels like every time Site, Archy, or Covok point out something problematic in the thread it feels like that person takes it as a personal attack and immediately starts doubling down. Then suddenly they're the bad guys for voicing dissent. It's not just this thread either, it's all over BSS and SA itself as well.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Roth posted:

Yeah, to me the important thing about leftist thought is the desire to self-improve and learn how to be a better person. I guess my posts come across as rather hostile, but I'm mostly just annoyed that it feels like every time Site, Archy, or Covok point out something problematic in the thread it feels like that person takes it as a personal attack and immediately starts doubling down. Then suddenly they're the bad guys for voicing dissent. It's not just this thread either, it's all over BSS and SA itself as well.
Lots of folks seem to decide to die on a hill rather than admit they could ever be wrong. It's embarrassingly fragile.

I'm starting to get worried about this latest Renfamous mailbox idiocy. The CHUDs seem more riled up than usual, and I can't help but feel some innocent is going to get hurt. gently caress Comicsgate, amen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When you go mailboxing, you don't always succeed in getting a mail box off it's post (you don't hit it right, it's too sturdy, etc.), but if it does leave the post it doesn't fall over next to that post. So this was almost certainly a crappy mailbox that fell down from neglect and/or the wind.

I think TUG is a broken enough human being that he believes most of the bullshit he says about Renfamous. Like I don't think it's hard to believe someone called CPS on him, and if they happened to show up the same day he said something mean about Renfamous (so, you know, any day in the last 6 months) he just naturally assumed it was her using her deep state resources to gently caress up his life.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Squidster posted:

I'm starting to get worried about this latest Renfamous mailbox idiocy. The CHUDs seem more riled up than usual, and I can't help but feel some innocent is going to get hurt. gently caress Comicsgate, amen.

Yeah. Ren posted a dozen or more Twitter responses to her that were along the lines 'shame if somebody shot her.'

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing that confuses me is why is the idea of someome smashing that loser's mailbox being treated like some beyond the pale affront by these guys? I read that tweet and was like 'Heh, good.'

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I’m sure 80% of them know it’s bullshit, and play along hoping it’ll scare people into not opposing them and that the 20% who are dumb as dogshit will genuinely believe CHUDs are just poor lil babies being picked on by the mean ‘ol women and minorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

dont neighbourhood hooligans still bat down mailboxes for fun at random anyway? :v: