Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

ruddiger posted:

He looks more like a younger Bradley Cooper to me, especially in the way he grins.

I liked that the super terrorist is named "the Captain". I hope he gets a marvel-esque costume next season, to drive the point home.

I thought The Captain got eye-lasered by Homelander when he went inside the building after his reveal? Since he was playing up the need to keep soldiers safe from super terrorists.

Doesn't mean they won't have more since A-Train was running Compound V all over the world as part of HL's plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like nobody mentioned this yet but I do very much enjoy the show taking something that happened in reality - the CIA giving weapons to the Syria arm of al-Qaeda - and using it as a plotline in the show - Vought giving terrorists the superhero serum which was pretty on the nose. Here's hoping they do more with that in the next season.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I tried to read the comic to see the difference, but the combination of super ugly art and random gross sex scene just tell me I shouldn't pay attention to the comic.

Also Huguie in the comic is Simon Pegg lol.

tino fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 28, 2019

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

I feel like nobody mentioned this yet but I do very much enjoy the show taking something that happened in reality - the CIA giving weapons to the Syria arm of al-Qaeda - and using it as a plotline in the show - Vought giving terrorists the superhero serum which was pretty on the nose. Here's hoping they do more with that in the next season.

Seemed like Homelander took the initiative and did that himself going by the conversation he had with Stillwell.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Groovelord Neato posted:

pretty much all the names are terrible and i'm thinking that was the point.

Yeah, "Black Noir", "Lamplighter", "Teenage Kix" are all sub-optimal. Ennis has a talent for wordplay so it's probably by choice.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

tino posted:

That read like a bad plot to me since it excuses Homelander of all his bad deeds. The show focuses the blame to the mad scientist corporate lab and Homelander himself. Also, does Homelander have a civilian name?

It isn't, it keeps the themes of the comic and now tv series consistent and how they possibly handle Black Noir/Homelander clone/failsafe situation can break or make the television show.

Making Homelander solely or even responsible for his actions/sociopathy and be the main drive of the plot does the Great Man/Hero narrative of comics and dumb guy history. It makes the story of The Boys about bad actors enabled by large corporations, instead of large corporations enabled by bad actors who can occasionally go off the rails and do even more damage. Vought is the actual villain in the series, and so are it's counterparts in the military/media industrial complex; not Bill O'Reilly or Tucker Carlson, or a particular make of ground to air missile. The comics made the smart move of an individual or small group of Supes, not that important. They could be killed be proper trained military forces if they got off their asses, the problem being how captail prevented that from happening and instead protecting them.

The idea Homelander would be just a Tom Cruise jumping on a couch and saying dumb poo poo that everyone laughs at, if it were for Vought's internal paranoia of controlling an uncontrollable and putting making sure it stayed in a system it was already in willingly and had notion or idea of leaving it, and a lovely method of removal that actually causes him to rebel, is more on point with the "Supes in the military." Homelander shouldn't be a rapist, just vain and petty, until a push happens that didn't have to happen by forces larger than any one indivdual. Otherwise he's just Thanos but with good publicity. He ceases to be the extremist America arms to stop unions or communists, who turns on it, or a metaphor for the insanity of weapon build ups

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Collateral posted:

So its heavily implied Becca was not raped? That she went from a happy (we haven't been shown otherwise) marriage to loving the company mascot and was only upset because she got pregnant (or was that part of some plan?), which people say is impossible..Somebody said earlier that Translucent had a son though. Re: Black Noir being the clone of Homelander as a fail safe in case Homelander goes crazy seems like the stupidest idea, instead of one all powerful potential world destroyer you have two, who could both be crazy. Was there any justification for this? The gut punch to Butcher by Homelander at the end was supreme. I can see HL telling BB to raise his kid for him just to rub much salt into that particular wound.

Collateral posted:

The only people who have said it was a rape, is Mallory, who basically tells Butcher that is what has happened, shows him some video, and wants to recruit him to her team. And Butcher himself, who believes what Mallory tells him, because his wife was acting strange, not telling him what was wrong, then disappeared. That is it. I say implied because, from what we have been shown, Becca didn't tell Billy it was anything. For all we know she could have been artificially impregnated by Vought for the purposes of raising an anti-Homelander and she got cold feet or something. The video Mallory had could have been fake and Homelander boasting to Butcher at the end could just be to gently caress with Billy's head, which he did with aplomb right at the end there. Becca was looking at Billy the entire scene, not Homelander, or her son.

I think that's how they are going to play it out for s2, especially with what happened in ep8 and how it differs from the source material.

Billy isn't a reliable narrator and Mallory was probably manipulating him. When Billy says that she became a recluse and closed off before disappearing, that would also fit with her learning that holy poo poo I'm pregnant with a super powered baby after cheating on my husband.
If they wanted to foreshadow Homelander being a rapist, they could have kept him sexually assaulting Annie like in the comics instead of just having it be The Deep. In fact, Homelander only shows sexual interest in Stilllwell and their creepy hosed up relationship.
In the finale when Homelander is taunting Billy and trying to rile him up, he seems to think it's because he hosed Becca and that she is missing. It never occurs to him it's because of rape (though Billy does call him rapey santa so :shrug:).

I don't think it was some Vought plan to get her pregnant though. I think it was more that she learned she was pregnant and then Vought and the scientist who raised Homelander decided to give her a new life so she could raise a Homelander who wouldn't be a horrible monster(especially since the scientist realizes and regrets what he did to Homelander and how it made him all hosed up. And Stillwell admits she's always been terrified of him so she would love to have a replacement who isn't a psychopath).

Piell posted:

It felt ambiguous to me, that it could have been either that or just her feeling bad for having cheated with someone

:agreed: There is enough evidence that you can read it either way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Collateral posted:

The only people who have said it was a rape, is Mallory, who basically tells Butcher that is what has happened, shows him some video, and wants to recruit him to her team. And Butcher himself, who believes what Mallory tells him, because his wife was acting strange, not telling him what was wrong, then disappeared. That is it. I say implied because, from what we have been shown, Becca didn't tell Billy it was anything. For all we know she could have been artificially impregnated by Vought for the purposes of raising an anti-Homelander and she got cold feet or something. The video Mallory had could have been fake and Homelander boasting to Butcher at the end could just be to gently caress with Billy's head, which he did with aplomb right at the end there. Becca was looking at Billy the entire scene, not Homelander, or her son.

Anything could be possible, sure. But I don't think anything is implied. We'll have to wait for S2 to find out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Groovelord Neato posted:

pretty much all the names are terrible and i'm thinking that was the point.

To be fair, most superhero names from Marvel and DC are terrible too. Its just, once you've heard the name so many times you stop thinking about it. Its some psychological phenomenon, probably has an official name like "the ___ effect" but I know it has to be a thing.

Like band names, I noticed awhile back that when I say "The Bare Naked Ladies" I'm not even thinking about the fact that I just said "Bare Naked Ladies", its just <Band Name>. BNL. But the full version of BNL is "Bare-Naked-Ladies". Which like, that's kinda the joke there, but my point is once you've heard and said a name like 20,000 times, your brain stops processing it as anything more than an ID-tag for the concept it invokes, rather than the individual words or sounds.

Green Lantern is one of my favorite heroes but that name is SO dumb.

There's some classics that are simple and stand well as a result, "Super Man" is hard to go wrong with, "Batman" is maybe a little goofy out of context but not too shabby.

But there's some bad ones.

Black Canary? Captain Boomerang? Martian Manhunter? I'm sure if I took longer I could come up with far far stupider ones.

So I think inventing some intentionally stupid names, but having it such that the world accepts them as-is and even thinks they're pretty cool, really helps to highlight the point that these superheroes are not actually in fact cool in the way everybody thinks they are. It highlights the difference between reality and and the cult of personality. These guys are losers posing as heroes, so they have goofy loser names.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

a fourteen year-old tweeded twat with spooky brain powers would totally call himself 'the mesmerizer'

then vape and post some dank pepe memes.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

GD_American posted:

Yeah, "Black Noir", "Lamplighter", "Teenage Kix" are all sub-optimal. Ennis has a talent for wordplay so it's probably by choice.

I like that The Deep is a completely shallow character.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zaphod42 posted:

Green Lantern is one of my favorite heroes but that name is SO dumb.

There's some classics that are simple and stand well as a result, "Super Man" is hard to go wrong with, "Batman" is maybe a little goofy out of context but not too shabby.

But there's some bad ones.

Black Canary? Captain Boomerang? Martian Manhunter? I'm sure if I took longer I could come up with far far stupider ones.

So I think inventing some intentionally stupid names, but having it such that the world accepts them as-is and even thinks they're pretty cool, really helps to highlight the point that these superheroes are not actually in fact cool in the way everybody thinks they are. It highlights the difference between reality and and the cult of personality. These guys are losers posing as heroes, so they have goofy loser names.

One thing I do like as far as the dumb hero names in the comic/show is how the various groups have names that fit what group they're a pastiche of.

Like, the Seven are clearly based off of the golden age Justice League, so they have goofy names that evoke what a comic character created in the 40s would probably be called, like Lamplighter and Mr. Marathon.

Teenage Kix in the book had 'edgy' more 90s names like Shout-Out and Whack Job.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Binary Logic posted:

His attempt to write his memoir and realizing he had nowhere to even start with was my favorite moment.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Teenage Kicks is a song. gently caress, if the 7 were songs it would be in it.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Both Homelander and Starlight are good names. The rest are bad.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

lol never even caught that.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
This is a good rear end show

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I decided to give the books a reread for the first time and holy moly is it hard to believe they're only a decade-plus old. homophobic slurs are excusable because butcher doesn't hate gay people lol

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Eat This Glob posted:

I decided to give the books a reread for the first time and holy moly is it hard to believe they're only a decade-plus old. homophobic slurs are excusable because butcher doesn't hate gay people lol
Garth Ennis is timeless in his own special way.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Elizabeth Shue is fantastic and can still get it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Eat This Glob posted:

Yeah, I flipped through a few issues and hoo boy do Homelander and Jack drop about every slur there is. And they sure looooooove dropping the N-bomb on Deep.

Also, this minor character made me laugh. Gumchum!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

LadyPictureShow posted:

despite how last-century it seems from 2019, it does have some legit laughs in it. I won't argue that

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Piell posted:

It felt ambiguous to me, that it could have been either that or just her feeling bad for having cheated with someone

If she was cheating, regardless of how guilty she felt, she would’ve taken the time to straighten herself out before she stepped into a public space. Becca running out like that means the only thing on her mind was getting out of there as fast as possible without raising any alarm.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

If she was cheating, regardless of how guilty she felt, she would’ve taken the time to straighten herself out before she stepped into a public space. Becca running out like that means the only thing on her mind was getting out of there as fast as possible without raising any alarm.

also she'd(apparently) been hosed by a god for 3 hours.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Does the TV show do the 9/11 thing or naw?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Mantis42 posted:

Does the TV show do the 9/11 thing or naw?

Sort of. They had a plane scene in episode 4, but it wasn't 9/11 related.

Instead of trying to look heroic on 9/11, they're trying to look good so the government will pass a military bill favoring the supes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's probably my favorite scene of the show, honestly. Homelander just does an incredible job with how over the top the scenario gets.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, I flipped through a few issues and hoo boy do Homelander and Jack drop about every slur there is. And they sure looooooove dropping the N-bomb on Deep.

Think I saw him at the Mystery Men auditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LicptUy9Ay4

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A fun show, with some dark moments.

Haven't read the source material and I normally hate superhero stuff so this was fun having it be more realistic and being anti-hero.

Just makes me want Dredd 2 though with Karl Urban.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

drunkill posted:

Just makes me want Dredd 2 though with Karl Urban.

This is the only comment on the whole thread worth quoting.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Random Stranger posted:

I don't remember if it was from the comic, but the _dolphin_ in episode 4 was a perfect example of good Garth Ennis stuff: simultaneously horrible and juvenile but also so completely absurd that you have to laugh. The show does have a fair share of lovely Ennis nihilism running through it, but the worst excesses of the comic seem to be gone and there are moments like that which work.

what's the worst stuff they cut?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

one thing that makes me think they may keep the one good thing from the comic is the scene where he has sex with stillwell is played like he's a virgin. doesn't really make sense that he'd be having marathon sex or be the one to rape butcher's wife.

Alan Smithee posted:

it isn't the worst thing in the comic but starlight is assaulted by homelander, black noir, and a-train (at once) not the deep.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Is Amazon going to do the (hilariously retarded) G-Wiz stuff?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

tino posted:

Is Amazon going to do the (hilariously retarded) G-Wiz stuff?

I hope so.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

tino posted:

retarded

It's 2019 you can easily find better words to use.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Guh. There’s a lot. Rape, cannibalism, necrophilia, a whole ton of child molestation jokes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

If they do the G-Men, I really hope they skip G-Style because yikes.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dawgstar posted:

If they do the G-Men, I really hope they skip G-Style because yikes.

I mean, there was also G-Coast, and those teams were forced to have an east coast/west coast rap rivalry style drama by VA. The only black member of G-Wiz brings it up to Hughie and is like 'I have to graduate to one of those teams. Goddamn it.'

But yeah, :yikes: indeed.

I'm wondering if they'll keep the SuperDuper arc, since they've toned down how terrible and nihilistic they're portraying a lot of the supes.

In the comics, they seem really naive, and some are implied to be sorta special needs, and they go on neighborhood patrols to like get cats out of trees and stuff. They get sent a new leader who was sent there as punishment, and Hughie (who's been doing surveillance on them) tries to fight the guy when he starts brutalizing them because they're actually harmless and 'childlike' even though they're supes.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

This was alright but the best thing about it imo is it might be popular enough to generate some interest in a Transmetropolitan series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So do the effects of compound V wear off over time? A Train seemed anxious about his race which suggested he wasn't as 'fast' as he used to be and later we see him arrive too late to stop a crime.

If the supes are lab made super soldiers, how did Starlight get her powers? Does Compound V work on animals?

The show does a good job of showing just how dangerous Superheroes would really be, even in the best of circumstances. I mean compare Iron Man getting a few dozen people out of a disabled jet and macguyvering a way to get them safely in the water, to Homelander's blase reaction to long shot suggestions on trying to rescue passengers--he didn't even want to TRY and I'm assuming it's because they could just deny even being there in the first place rather than have the negative publicity of unsuccessfully rescuing the passengers.