Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

GoutPatrol posted:

Setting up a Terminus from Jace on turn 5 is not going to win that match, and Carrion Feeder provides a way to get around it.

You know there are terminuses in your deck and you dont have to use jace to set them up right?

e; holy poo poo they want $100 a year for level 1 judges? the program is loving DEAD lmao

LMAO also they're charging MORE TO BE A HIGHER LEVEL JUDGE WHAT THE gently caress ahahahahahahahah

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

So they astroturfed a "professional organization" in order to get around lawsuits. Amazing.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
So like a few of the high level judges will finally get paid... by the lower level judges. Seems dumb. Also interesting that they are going to be expanding out to organizing judging for other games as well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

No Wave posted:

could not agree more. We're looking at a product that's had a 30 year lifespan adopting the operating model of products that tend to have much shorter lifespans.

I would NOT want to bet the entire future of my company on a game like arena.

Hindsight is 20/20, but this seems like it would have gone over much better than what transpired.

1. Kept competitive play exactly the same as it was
2. Incorporated arena into standard pro tour
3. Did a few invitational style events in arena format.
4. Had paper and digital meaningfully play off each other to get people invested in both.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Skyl3lazer posted:

You know there are terminuses in your deck and you dont have to use jace to set them up right?

e; holy poo poo they want $100 a year for level 1 judges? the program is loving DEAD lmao

LMAO also they're charging MORE TO BE A HIGHER LEVEL JUDGE WHAT THE gently caress ahahahahahahahah

I was thinking there are plenty of people who would gladly pay $100 a year for 8 judge promos guaranteed.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Membership dues allow us to set up Judge Academy for current and future success as a program and company. They help the program in two main categories: covering structural costs, and supporting community initiatives. From a structure standpoint, they will provide us with full-time staff to manage and grow the program, contracted Community Managers, and all of the necessary support structure such as attorneys, accountants, and the like.

lmao 'what if we made the judges pay us to fight their own lawsuits? genius, genius' amazing

Alternatively 'we need to find a source of revenue to cover the operating costs of competitive tournaments and it should come from product sales / players interested in the competitive scene / our profit-margin to fuel interest for the game the people donating their time to help these tournaments exist.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Tubgoat posted:

Unless you really need the money, just make an Omnath/Elf EDH deck with it.

I don't need the money, but I'd rather turn it into new board games and things that I am 100% more likely to share with my friends than an EDH deck. I've done the math and my binder is at about $1,500 TCG low, and it's full of cards I haven't looked at or used in years. Come to think of it, I could use a new TV...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

WOTC had their hands in this. Judges are loving over judges here. There is no other explanation. WOTC and Judge leadership are the only winners here.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

quote:

I’m a current Judge; does this mean I am employee of Judge Academy now?

Definitely not. We are a training and accreditation service, not an employer or a staffing agency. Event organizers and Judges will be able to find each other on our site, but all employment arrangements will be private and between them.

Loooool

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

On the whole, the Judge change seems awful but the idea that they'd also support non-wotc games like KeyForge is kinda good. I'm not sure what the judging structure of other FFG games is, but I'd be very surprised to find out that they have one robust as Magic has.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lol would it really have cost hasbro that much money to give them the money to get this off the ground without membership fees for a few years and boil this frog a little more slowly

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

good point, don't know why those scrubby u/w players haven't adopted your strategy of "magically draw the perfect card on the exact turn you need it"

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

evilweasel posted:

lol would it really have cost hasbro that much money to give them the money to get this off the ground without membership fees for a few years and boil this frog a little more slowly

Why would they if the new organization is also going to be supporting other games. It’s a good cover for WOTC to distance themselves even more.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

"" posted:

quote:
I’m a current Judge; does this mean I am employee of Judge Academy now?

Definitely not. We are a training and accreditation service, not an employer or a staffing agency. Event organizers and Judges will be able to find each other on our site, but all employment arrangements will be private and between them.

This is just beautiful corporate legalese. The Hasbro legal team must've put in some solid pro bono hours on this.

So Pro Tour events and Magic Fests stick around with proper judge support. FNMs, Prereleases, etc will scrape by with RAs or a Level 1 who works for the LGS in some capacity. Everything else in between, including comprel qualifying events, goes on Arena and if you don't like it then tough titty?

I almost feel bad for the grinders and the pros without deals or solid streaming audiences already. Almost. The future is bright, assuming the bottom never falls out of Arena.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 29, 2019

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
If you think about it every SA mod had to paid $10 for the privilege of having to moderate all our lovely posts and yet there are still always enough of them so maybe this will be a rousing success after all

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So you pay a subscription fee and your only compensation is a pack of random cards.

Judging is a loot box.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sickening posted:

I would NOT want to bet the entire future of my company on a game like arena.

Hindsight is 20/20, but this seems like it would have gone over much better than what transpired.

1. Kept competitive play exactly the same as it was
2. Incorporated arena into standard pro tour
3. Did a few invitational style events in arena format.
4. Had paper and digital meaningfully play off each other to get people invested in both.

Competitive play before was the top pros not even making a living wage and everyone else playing for pittances but hey you could build your way up to supplementing your mtg career by playing poker.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tainen posted:

Why would they if the new organization is also going to be supporting other games. It’s a good cover for WOTC to distance themselves even more.

because the new organization is entirely about offloading potential liability from WOTC while maintaining free labor and if they cock this up badly they might need to actually pay judges, which will cost more than the handful of dollars they could have thrown at the org to start it up. and i think we all know that the "supporting other games" is a transparent fig leaf.

its just a stupid business/legal decision

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

So you pay a subscription fee and your only compensation is a pack of random cards.

Judging is a loot box.

i thought they were pretty clearly trying to imply they would pay you cardboard that someone else would give you more than your membership fee for

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

after grinding judges’ faces into the concrete for years and years, the next logical step was to make them pay for the privilege

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I think I'll pay for the first year, since that would get me foils in November and foils in 2020, especially with chalice being an upcoming foil, but after that I reckon I'm pretty much done.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I know some of you were mad at working without pay. We hear you, which is why there will be an annual fee structure going forward.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mehall posted:

I think I'll pay for the first year, since that would get me foils in November and foils in 2020, especially with chalice being an upcoming foil, but after that I reckon I'm pretty much done.

I mean, give them money first before you put your foot down. That will show them.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mehall posted:

this is exactly what they expect to hear. every year. forever.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

mehall posted:

lol good lord WOTC sure know their audience.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
This sounds like grift.

It's got the trappings of a non-profit organization, but nothing changes and there's absolutely no support for getting people to bigger events.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jassi007 posted:

I was thinking there are plenty of people who would gladly pay $100 a year for 8 judge promos guaranteed.

My napkin math has the cards they announced at $112 for MTGStocks low, meaning you're probably going to be ahead by $125 or so for a year. Considering there is also some work involved (I doubt you can be a judge without doing a few events) this seems like a horribly bad idea. Those cards are also over a bunch of formats, meaning there's not much chance you'd be able to use most of them yourself.

I did think about looking into the RA thing if you actually can do it for free, because getting a better idea how the game works probably helps you out in your play. I normally only learn by getting handed my head and learning from mistakes. The way I learned other games (read then re-read the rulebook) is basically impossible with MtG.

Tainen posted:

Why would they if the new organization is also going to be supporting other games. It's a good cover for WOTC to distance themselves even more.

Yup. This is the same kind of thing I saw happen with a bunch of other fan worker programs in the hobby space. The fact that anything is sticking around means MtG weathered it better than any other game I played.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

lmao, i hope that at least they'll scale their yearly fee based on the location of the judge. imagine paying a hundred bucks a year if you're a judge in rural china or something

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
congrats to the hasbro legal department for inventing the "reverse union"

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Star Man posted:

This sounds like grift.

It's got the trappings of a non-profit organization, but nothing changes and there's absolutely no support for getting people to bigger events.

I have some bad news for you about most non-profits.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

little munchkin posted:

congrats to the hasbro legal department for inventing the "reverse union"

:same: This entire thing is brilliant.

What I can't quite figure out is how the new owner of Judge Academy got declared supreme emperor of judging. I feel like WOTC declared him so or something but nobody wants to say that.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Cactrot posted:

On the whole, the Judge change seems awful but the idea that they'd also support non-wotc games like KeyForge is kinda good. I'm not sure what the judging structure of other FFG games is, but I'd be very surprised to find out that they have one robust as Magic has.

It's going to be even less successful at supporting new games than this:

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Company unions are illegal for a reason.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

They might be illegal but we live in a country where no one gives a poo poo about labor laws so :shrug:.

Besides, this isn't a company union, it's a partnership with an independent organization! Completely on the level.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/pintacso/status/1155858660620455938?s=20
You don't even get a trial run. Pay or else. I love it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mat Cauthon posted:

They might be illegal but we live in a country where no one gives a poo poo about labor laws so :shrug:.

Besides, this isn't a company union, it's a partnership with an independent organization! Completely on the level.

well it's not a company union because they're not employees, qed

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

if you look at the site it tries to suggest that they're going to make judging a career laffo

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

evilweasel posted:

if you look at the site it tries to suggest that they're going to make judging a career laffo

From the developers of UNPAID INTERNSHIPS, now comes a new and exciting installment in the series

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

evilweasel posted:

A lot of L2s and L3s were already under the impression that it was. (I guess if you didn’t mind working an MF or SCG Tour event like every weekend, you could do it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I'm sure being a professional judge will be just as rewarding and profitable as being a professional player