Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Been busy due to auditions and work for the past couple days but I’m back and I have brought two new levels! Feedback is appreciated!

Randomizer 2: Bullies on Ice
656-LCT-2QG
made this one in a half hour as a warm up with the randomizer website provided.

Turn on a Dime
8M3-S0K-X7G
I like the clown car powerup... dunno why. Pretty sure this was inspired by the randomizer but I couldn’t remember since it was started a few weeks ago and finished today.

And because I don’t think I added it to the spreadsheet (will rectify that) here are two of my older ones

Trials & Incantations Redux!
00M-QK6-8NG -
some goons streamed the original of this but it was a bit unintuitive and unfair so I tuned it up a bit. I hope it’s better for you

Randomizer 1: Hop on Props
6WP-57H-8PF
The original Randomizer I did.

Will be adding all these to the spreadsheet now.

Thanks for all the fun you Goons have given!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Been working up a few lately, this is the one I'm happiest with right now so I thought i'd share it. Like all my levels, it's aimed for Expert or so difficulty since that's what I enjoy playing most.

As a plumber, you are uniquely suited to finding the simple on-off switch to end Global Warming!
NW0-QGJ-XVF

(the latter half of the level can either be tricky or an intentional victory lap depending on how you hit shells.)

Adept Nightingale fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 29, 2019

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I made a new level. It may have actually been the hardest level for me to make in either SMM1 or 2. I doubt the quality of the level is gonna justify the time spent making it, but sometimes you get an idea that you gotta see through I guess. :unsmith:

Breaking Barriers: B4P-5X8-XVF

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1155713048130179072?s=20

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

My fifth level! Magikoopa's Castle (XPM-VN5-CTF)

Have heart! Breach the castle defenses and brave the dangers within. Magikoopa is up to something, and you need to put a stop to it!

I got interested in making a level where you have to get over castle walls. I considered requiring some bullet-bill or cannonball bouncing, but decided I didn't want it to be too hard. As always, feedback is very appreciated!

Four of my five levels end in boss fights. What's a satisfying way of ending a level that isn't a boss fight?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A solid week of work. This one's 🅱retty 🅱ig

e:/removed/ streamer found a softlock I frickin missed, reposting later

Don't talk to me before my morning coffee

Spellman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 29, 2019

totempoleman
Jan 20, 2005

Make a jazz note here.
New Power-up Gauntlet: 2DM-KQH-RVG

My first attempt at a 3D World level, so it may be a bit wonky. Relies a lot on tricks with the new power-ups. Throwing crates through clear pipes, gliding with the cat, etc. I think some of it might be laid out a bit vaguely, so if you don't understand a section, please let me know!

Bone Jumpin' v2: LL4-NKN-FGF

Re-upload of an old level of mine. It had an abysmal clear rate so I changed it up a bit and added another checkpoint.

totempoleman fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 29, 2019

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

DorianGravy posted:

Four of my five levels end in boss fights. What's a satisfying way of ending a level that isn't a boss fight?

A reiteration of the main gimmick that you need to pull off to hit the top of the pole is always nice. I tend to make it easier as a sort of cooldown/reward for mastering the concept.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Darkucc/status/1155655307428675584

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Didn't understand the appeal of Mario maker until my partner got it, and now I'm hooked on creating levels for him to play. A couple newbie hard-ish platforming levels:

Don't miss the jumps!
GDG-GPP-DPF

A Detour Underground
VXM-86F-5HF

I don't completely understand how enemy spawning etc work yet ...

I'm terrible at Mario but I'm playing other people's levels to get ideas. Going to start working through the goonsheet.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Power ups respawn in multiplayer and even occur multiple times in a question blocks. That's less of a big deal.

Not always, ya in question mark blocks it’s once per life (u get a second chance if another player steals it) but u can have a single spawn power up in mp...played a versus level designed around it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd rather have a level end with no boss than another "thrilling" confrontation against giant Bowser with a respawning fire flower.

Schmeichy posted:

It'd be a good idea to watch the tutorials if you haven't. One of them is about this, though it doesn't get super detailed.

The most basic way to think about is this; imagine a box around Mario. This box is the game's loading radius. Enemies don't exist until they enter this loading radius. The radius is exactly 4 blocks larger than what you see on screen at any moment, so stuff can load in off-screen and enter it to give the illusion of everything being active at once. Everything that gets loaded stays loaded until you move far enough away from it; the despawn radius is slightly larger than the actual loading radius though.

However, if an enemy despawns due to loading, it will be loaded in again if you backtrack to its spawning position. If an enemy is killed by Mario though, it doesn't respawn no matter how far you travel. Additionally, if you go through a door, warp box, or pipe you will trigger a global reload of the stage and all enemies can spawn again even if they were killed by Mario. This loading mechanic works for a lot of non-block entities in Mario Maker, not just enemies.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 29, 2019

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd rather have a level end with no boss than another "thrilling" confrontation against giant Bowser with a respawning fire flower.

But what if, and hear me out on this, there's two of them? And... one of them is in a clown car?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Anything but Meowser.

Good level title... Now to think of a gimmick...

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

i fear for the day boss fight coursemakers learn you can kill meowser with the koopa kart

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Internet Kraken posted:

It'd be a good idea to watch the tutorials if you haven't. One of them is about this, though it doesn't get super detailed.

The most basic way to think about is this; imagine a box around Mario. This box is the game's loading radius. Enemies don't exist until they enter this loading radius. The radius is exactly 4 blocks larger than what you see on screen at any moment, so stuff can load in off-screen and enter it to give the illusion of everything being active at once. Everything that gets loaded stays loaded until you move far enough away from it; the despawn radius is slightly larger than the actual loading radius though.

However, if an enemy despawns due to loading, it will be loaded in again if you backtrack to its spawning position. If an enemy is killed by Mario though, it doesn't not respawn no matter how far you travel. Additionally, if you go through a door, warp box, or pipe you will trigger a global reload of the stage and all enemies can spawn again even if they were killed by Mario. This loading mechanic works for a lot of non-block entities in Mario Maker, not just items.

Ah thank you, I've been watching the tutorials, but what you just typed is what I was trying to figure out.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I made a Meowser stage awhile back that like, kicks rear end but I haven't seen a good level with him aside from that.

4 pow blocks kill a big meowser so I feel like that's just the right amount for a stage, especially given his gimmick for leaving and harassing.
You'd *think* more people would see him as the hazard he is and try to design a chase stage with him in mind, not just lock him in a room and have you spam respawning fire flowers/hammers at him but... y'know.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

SelenicMartian posted:

Anything but Meowser.

Good level title... Now to think of a gimmick...

Oh man, I thought of one and it's terrible

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Made my first 2d world level Bounce House Mouse Trounce - 2B4-4C3-08G

after playing with it for a while, I feel like its kinda the training wheels maker, with the slightest bit of effort you can make an above average level, but its hard to make really spectacular things happen without poo poo like bill launchers, on and off blocks, tracks, one way doors, etc. It's probably the best and easiest way to make a solid standard course though.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Is there a way I can change the level codes for some of my old levels on the sheet? I had to re-upload some.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Pixeltendo posted:

Is there a way I can change the level codes for some of my old levels on the sheet? I had to re-upload some.

Give me the new codes for each, I’ll fix it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DalaranJ posted:

Could you change the code on Impossible Ice Fortress to JMH-5P2-8DG? I had to reupload a new version a while back.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I was curious to see how people would react if the entire level is optional. This is a Super Mario World level that mainly uses the underground theme.

Mystery Cave
D9H-5VW-JNG

Will you take the easy way out, or will you explore the mystery cave?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

1-1 Bolder beginnings -> DH6 HS4 SKG

1-2 Switch Ditch -> G21 XXG X9G

3-1 The Dark Lark -> 2-2 The Dark Lark Q25 MJM 40G

2-1 Shred End -> 2-3 Shred End NK5 MBV B2H

Bombarded By Bob-ombs -> 2-4 Bombarded by Bob-Ombs X7N 8YK KKF

Perishable Pipes -> 2-5 Perishable Pipes QQY V4W TRF

Thanks for the help! I'll probably have to ask this again later down the road.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

*sees a new comment from a spanish player*

"es una mierda" I wonder if that means he likes it?

*fires up google translate*

:eng99:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

*sees a new comment from a spanish player*

"es una mierda" I wonder if that means he likes it?

*fires up google translate*

:eng99:

Hey it could have been worse. It could have been "es dos mierdas".

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Plebian Parasite posted:

Made my first 2d world level Bounce House Mouse Trounce - 2B4-4C3-08G

after playing with it for a while, I feel like its kinda the training wheels maker, with the slightest bit of effort you can make an above average level, but its hard to make really spectacular things happen without poo poo like bill launchers, on and off blocks, tracks, one way doors, etc. It's probably the best and easiest way to make a solid standard course though.
I loved everything about this level up until the Boom Boom fight which I absolutely hated. While I appreciate having a boss that fits the theme of the level that arena made things frustratingly chaotic.

DorianGravy posted:

My fifth level! Magikoopa's Castle (XPM-VN5-CTF)

This was great!

Sam Faust posted:

I made a new level. It may have actually been the hardest level for me to make in either SMM1 or 2. I doubt the quality of the level is gonna justify the time spent making it, but sometimes you get an idea that you gotta see through I guess. :unsmith:

Breaking Barriers: B4P-5X8-XVF

https://twitter.com/SamFaustus/status/1155713048130179072?s=20
Pretty cool stuff but has the usual puzzle level flaw of being kind of a pain in the rear end to replay when you die. This one is especially lethal and sometimes in unnecessary ways like the spikes surrounding the p-switch.

Adept Nightingale posted:

Been working up a few lately, this is the one I'm happiest with right now so I thought i'd share it. Like all my levels, it's aimed for Expert or so difficulty since that's what I enjoy playing most.

As a plumber, you are uniquely suited to finding the simple on-off switch to end Global Warming!
NW0-QGJ-XVF

(the latter half of the level can either be tricky or an intentional victory lap depending on how you hit shells.)

Very nice. A little tricky but I only lost one life. Will probably wind up in expert once the public gets a few plays in, but it's the good kind of expert stage.

Spiffster posted:

Turn on a Dime
8M3-S0K-X7G
I like the clown car powerup... dunno why. Pretty sure this was inspired by the randomizer but I couldn’t remember since it was started a few weeks ago and finished today.
I tired this one and noticed that if you're fast enough you can get to the clowcar before the p-switch times out and not have the chance to grab the next p-switch because it falls through the floor. Probably best to set it on ground.

Phantasium posted:

Sometimes, inspiration hits you and you just can't stop. Other times, like this one, you have no idea what you just poo poo out, and maybe even fear it a little.

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1155657106302750720

I loved the faces. Stage was fun but desperately needs a checkpoint.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Straight White Shark posted:

Could you change the code on Impossible Ice Fortress to JMH-5P2-8DG? I had to reupload a new version a while back.

Got it!

Pixeltendo posted:

1-1 Bolder beginnings -> DH6 HS4 SKG

1-2 Switch Ditch -> G21 XXG X9G

3-1 The Dark Lark -> 2-2 The Dark Lark Q25 MJM 40G

2-1 Shred End -> 2-3 Shred End NK5 MBV B2H

Bombarded By Bob-ombs -> 2-4 Bombarded by Bob-Ombs X7N 8YK KKF

Perishable Pipes -> 2-5 Perishable Pipes QQY V4W TRF

Thanks for the help! I'll probably have to ask this again later down the road.

No problem.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

J-Spot posted:

I tired this one and noticed that if you're fast enough you can get to the clowcar before the p-switch times out and not have the chance to grab the next p-switch because it falls through the floor. Probably best to set it on ground.

I played that and never noticed that happening before. You are talking about he part after the quick run section correct? Gonna have to fix it

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Spiffster posted:

I played that and never noticed that happening before. You are talking about he part after the quick run section correct? Gonna have to fix it

Yup. I outran the switch timer a few times.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

J-Spot posted:

Yup. I outran the switch timer a few times.

Will do some tweeks later and reupload. Anything else you want to add before I fix that?

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Boos Cruise - LDK-D9B-YDF You might remember this as one of my MM1 courses. It's back, with some mild-to-moderate alterations.

Scaresville - 6Q7-MT6-VQG So here's another MM1 level, one that only I like. You're allowed to like it too, but you're gonna be lonely. Born of my love of the weird level design in the Game Boy games.

Just Desert - YD2-N67-42G Not a MM1 course or a ghost house course, but it is one of my famous Mario 3 desert courses and also an experiment with the tornado thingies. Please play it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

J-Spot posted:

I loved the faces. Stage was fun but desperately needs a checkpoint.

I thought about it but ended up just making some jumps easier than they were before. Guess I should have gone even easier.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Schmeichy posted:

Didn't understand the appeal of Mario maker until my partner got it, and now I'm hooked on creating levels for him to play. A couple newbie hard-ish platforming levels:

Don't miss the jumps!
GDG-GPP-DPF

A Detour Underground
VXM-86F-5HF

I'm terrible at Mario but I'm playing other people's levels to get ideas. Going to start working through the goonsheet.

So I only played the first one because the servers keep going down. I've got some feedback that I mean well with, but there's a couple things to work on here.

1) There's not really a coherent theme here. It's a bunch of donut blocks, then some Koopas, some fish, some spinies, that are kind of thrown at the player. I think you could've taken the donut concept and some of the enemies and built a sort of repeating or escalating style of challenge out of them. As it is it's just kind of a mess of enemy spam. It's tough, not too tough, but without a coherent point or pattern to what's happening it's hard to get into it.

2) Aesthetically it's just blocks and enemies, which isn't necessarily a problem, but if your level doesn't have a strong theme in terms of mechanics, the aesthetic can be a draw.

3) You've got rear end in a top hat blocks where the player is going to jump, in multiple places. Those CAN be fun/clever, but it's very hard to do so.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else having issues with getting access to the server? I keep getting timed out with Mario panic music as it loads (tried rebooting the connection and shutting down the console as well, no dice)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Spiffster posted:

Anyone else having issues with getting access to the server? I keep getting timed out with Mario panic music as it loads (tried rebooting the connection and shutting down the console as well, no dice)

Yep, there's eshop maintenance and it seems to be impacting the mario maker servers too.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've been having lots of issues today too. Sucks to spend a long time drawing a picture and then having the game just eat it and kick you back to the Course World menu.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Big Mad Drongo posted:

A reiteration of the main gimmick that you need to pull off to hit the top of the pole is always nice. I tend to make it easier as a sort of cooldown/reward for mastering the concept.

But what if I want to make SMB3 levels, which doesn't have a flagpole? (All five of my levels so far are SMB3, because that's what I grew up with.)

J-Spot posted:

This was great!

Thanks! I played your levels "Perilous Parkour Palace" and "What? KAMEK is Evolving!", and both were fantastic. Perilous Parkour Palace had a perfect difficulty for a hard level, and I wish I could find more levels that take this approach. You gave mulitple power-ups, allowed the player to rest between challenges, and gave multiple checkpoints. I like hard levels that allow the player to make mistakes and not immediately lose. (Also, wall-jumping is fun.) KAMEK is Evolving had a clever progression, and I enjoyed confronting the ever-evolving Kamek.

Last Visible Dog: You commented on my recent level, so I picked one of your levels to play. I picked your most popular one, "The Floor is Made of Cannons", and wow that is inventive! How did you make the cannons move? Really nice work.

I want play some of the recently-posted levels, but I'm having trouble loading things (there's maintenance going on or something?), so I'll have to wait for another time.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DorianGravy posted:

But what if I want to make SMB3 levels, which doesn't have a flagpole? (All five of my levels so far are SMB3, because that's what I grew up with.)

put in some sort of tricky or interesting twist on the level's theme or concept that rewards the player with either a 1-up or a coin bonanza. you should always try and make sure someone playing your level has a solid chance at the three extra lives - especially if it's a difficult one.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't imagine there are many people here that do this, but I really prefer it when people don't just put 3 one-ups at the end of their course. Sure its being "nice" but it makes any work I did to collect coins/find secrets earlier in the stage feel totally pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man, I'm working on my jam level as I had a goofy idea I'm happy with- but it's a auto scroller.

I'm really nit-picky about playtesting my levels when I make adjustments so work is going soooo slow. I think it would lose a lot of the uh... "story" if I turned autoscroll off though.