Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
If you didn’t buy it, don’t abuse it. You had it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Or just thrash the poo poo out of everything, what the hell kind of show has an unspoken rule that if anything touches the ground it’s ruined. He could say “you break it you bought it” but just expecting you to pay a fine without letting you keep it is bullshit.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
if you’re not using your own equipment for it i’d say it’s time to drop that part of the act tbh

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
find out where the soundguy lives buy the thrashed sm58 from him and beat his rear end with it for being such a fuckin dweeb

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

The Muppets On PCP posted:

find out where the soundguy lives buy the thrashed sm58 from him and beat his rear end with it for being such a fuckin dweeb

And then use it to record your next album.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Frank Caskelot posted:

And then use it to record your next album.

Hook the mic up and record from it as you beat him and have that be the intro to the album.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

quote:

I did as I often do and threw my mic/stand into the audience so they could sing along to the song it was most likely they knew the chorus to...

Their mic.

Soundguy is over reacting but out of a visceral reaction of seeing a band toss his stuff around. When people are upset they focus on emphasising extraneous details to validate the emotion (“look you’ve broken it!”) but it’s not really about the condition of the mic at all.

Write an apology to the sound guy acknowledging that it’s upsetting when some band he’s doing sound for acts cavalier about his poo poo, mention that you realise this probably happens a lot with many bands he works with, use the words "respect" and "fair" at least once in the email, and THEN offer to buy the mic.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 25, 2019

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Its a cheap rear end mic, don't loving worry about it, just stop responding to them, you'll literally never see him again.That being said, don't throw things off of stages, especially when you're way up above them, a mic, or mic stand could hurt somebody, even in some small way, then they sue the festival, and your band pays their premium (usually 10k per 1 million dollars worth of damages) if they don't try to sue you for more.

Moral of the story, don't throw poo poo off stage, and he can piss off over an 80 dollar mic.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If you're in a small music scene you absolutely 100% will see someone related to that thing again. Even just saying the words "well we'll never see them again" doubles the odds you will.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pokey Araya posted:

That being said, don't throw things off of stages, especially when you're way up above them, a mic, or mic stand could hurt somebody,

one of the most terrifying concert experiences in my life was seeing the mars volta, being packed into one huge biomass of sweaty motherfuckers who were constantly about to all fall over in one direction, then the crowd would push back in the other direction, so the wave would wash the other way and we'd all almost fall over in that direction...

and then the frontman starts hucking cymbal stands, cymbals still attached, into the crowd

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
As someone who provides my personal PA and gear for a lot of small shows, I'd need to see what happened before being 100% on my thoughts. My first instinct is "don't treat my gear like poo poo, rear end in a top hat!", but it's also meant to be a show, not a formal recital. poo poo happens.

There's a difference between someone grabbing the mic stand and pointing it out over the audience for a singalong (and dropping it) and someone having no respect for someone else's gear and flinging it out off the stage. You're not big rock stars writing off these things on a massive expense budget. That's someone's livelihood. It's something THEY have to replace.

I've had mic stands buckled by drunk assholes falling over them, joints wrecked because they don't know how to adjust them, cables ruined because assholes set their guitars down upright with them plugged in crushing the jacks, mics dented from being dropped and that poo poo adds up over time. Don't get me wrong, I expect wear and tear and accidents happen. Hell, it's not a good show if things aren't getting crazy. But if you're treating my gear with no respect because it's not your problem we're going to clash.

Sure, it sounds like the sound guy went full autistic screech mode and should have handled it better but there's a point where you see the same things happening to your gear again and again and reach boiling point. It may be a lovely $80 mic, but it's $80 he's got to find now. I'll admit that I've over-reacted to rear end in a top hat bands who have trashed my gear in the past so maybe I'm biased, but respect peoples stuff. They're helping you live your dream up there.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

it hurts my soul seeing any kind of gear destroyed. well except maybe rogue basses lol.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Slightly late, but the THR10 takes pedals, from light overdrive to full on gently caress you fuzz, like a champ. The only problem I have with it is that (stock) it doesn't have speaker outs, and sometimes I want to feel air pushed out of my 1x12.

Luckily, that's where my Hotone nano amps come in, but, still. It's the principle of the thing.

The THR series really make recording on the quiet easy, though, so huge points in its favor for that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wouldn’t it work to just use the headphone jack or am I missing something

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
It might work ok, it might not, but speaker level output and headphone output aren’t the same thing by a long shot.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

OutOfPrint posted:

Slightly late, but the THR10 takes pedals, from light overdrive to full on gently caress you fuzz, like a champ. The only problem I have with it is that (stock) it doesn't have speaker outs, and sometimes I want to feel air pushed out of my 1x12.

Luckily, that's where my Hotone nano amps come in, but, still. It's the principle of the thing.

The THR series really make recording on the quiet easy, though, so huge points in its favor for that.

I've got the THR10x and the THR5a and they really are incredible little amps that are amazing for bedroom level jamming and recording. Good for very small rooms too as they can kick out a lot more than you expect. Like you, my only problem with them is the lack of line output so I can't put it into a PA.

Yes, you can use the headphone output but that signal is optimised for headphones and doesn't always play nice with speakers or PAs. I also have an issue where there is horrendous noise if I run it into a PA unless I run it off batteries. I've tried different PSUs and even a small mod I found on a forum, but it's simply unuseable unless I fill it with 8 x aa batteries for gigs. I gigged it once (on batteries and via headphones into PA) and it sounded incredible.

A real shame, because if if had a proper line out (and maybe a pedal switching option) it would honestly be perfect for me

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Good news! The THR does have a footswitch available to work with your patches and even interface with the THR Editor for the libraries.

Bad news! It's kinda sorta expensive.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Been sent a few songs to collab on, they sound decent for premixes. However, none were recorded to a click and have massive tempo variance. I'm so used to playing to programmed drums or whatnot its hurting my brain.
Its me, I'm the stupid music poo poo

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dog_Meat posted:

I've got the THR10x and the THR5a and they really are incredible little amps that are amazing for bedroom level jamming and recording. Good for very small rooms too as they can kick out a lot more than you expect. Like you, my only problem with them is the lack of line output so I can't put it into a PA.

Yes, you can use the headphone output but that signal is optimised for headphones and doesn't always play nice with speakers or PAs. I also have an issue where there is horrendous noise if I run it into a PA unless I run it off batteries. I've tried different PSUs and even a small mod I found on a forum, but it's simply unuseable unless I fill it with 8 x aa batteries for gigs. I gigged it once (on batteries and via headphones into PA) and it sounded incredible.

A real shame, because if if had a proper line out (and maybe a pedal switching option) it would honestly be perfect for me
I have a Hum-X that might solve that problem entirely. If you still have interest in using it with a PA, I hope you can find one to try.

Wark Say posted:

Good news! The THR does have a footswitch available to work with your patches and even interface with the THR Editor for the libraries.

Bad news! It's kinda sorta expensive.
LOL Holy poo poo!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

NonzeroCircle posted:

Been sent a few songs to collab on, they sound decent for premixes. However, none were recorded to a click and have massive tempo variance. I'm so used to playing to programmed drums or whatnot its hurting my brain.
Its me, I'm the stupid music poo poo

usually when a band has tempo variance the fact the musicians are in physical proximity means theyre at least “vibing” and synchronising tempo with each other unconsciously. Attempting to get in on a live jam vibe after the fact sounds loving painful tbh

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

I have a Hum-X that might solve that problem entirely. If you still have interest in using it with a PA, I hope you can find one to try.

Interesting...

Although I'd need a UK equivilent

massive spider posted:

usually when a band has tempo variance the fact the musicians are in physical proximity means theyre at least “vibing” and synchronising tempo with each other unconsciously. Attempting to get in on a live jam vibe after the fact sounds loving painful tbh

This is so true. I occasionally drum for a duo who are... different. Ok, they're terrible and "timing" is a concept that happens with other bands, not them. Absolute amatuer hour, but one of them has learning difficulties, they have loads of energy and are loved on the local circuit as a quirky "WTF did I just hear" band. The strange thing is, when I drum with them I can "feel" when they're going to do something strange and feel almost tuned in to the terrible, terrible random timing they have. If I listen back and try to dub over it I can't do it.

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 27, 2019

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
To make matters harder its currently a cello and vocals.
The cellist moved back to her home country and due to the nature of the instrument a bunch of notes are flat, but only noticeably when I try to add any other instruments :negative:.
It sounds great and whatever I'm expected to be doing is ruining it.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Tune your instrument to match hers. I find when I play on wonky tracks like that, I just keep rehearsing it over and over until I can match it. Or you can do it the Butch Vig way and punch in line by line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APHX-9ZQ7x0

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

NonzeroCircle posted:

The cellist moved back to her home country and due to the nature of the instrument a bunch of notes are flat, but only noticeably when I try to add any other instruments :negative:.
Time to bust out your fretless guitar.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I did upgrade to Cubase Pro earlier in the week, maybe this is how I'm gonna learn to use variaudio.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Slam it through autotune.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
From the bad pedal fb group:

Just gets wronger the more you look at it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The only wrong thing I see is a metal zone.

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Ftfy

Spanish Manlove posted:

The only wrong thing I see is WHY ONLY ONE metal zone.

Oh, and isn't that Metal Zone completely redundant when you've got that many one-spots plugged it at once. I'd think that sounds more or less the same.

polynominal-c fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 29, 2019

Shardy
Jun 21, 2000
I'm a sticky snake!
I have both those tuners, never thought of chaining them together for sweet, sweet tonez though

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Tuner tone. Now that's a first.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What? Where's the other tuner?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Wark Say posted:

Tuner tone. Now that's a first.

I kinda get it since some tuners aren't true bypass but still that's besides the point

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

im guessing that eq pedal is a Boss GE-7 clone and those rule. Also Metal Zones are good for boosting, gain stacking and modding.

Shardy
Jun 21, 2000
I'm a sticky snake!

Siivola posted:

What? Where's the other tuner?
There's a Korg GT-3 above the EQ pedal. Took me a second to spot it, but :lol: when I did

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh so that's what it was, I was wondering why it was hidden under there.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBV1Uholghk

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the hat flip at :24 just kills me

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Tickets for this were like 200 bucks.

Adbot