Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
in my case I wanted ignatz to be axe boi and the lad is ending up with a lot of dex but no defense, health or more importantly strength

he could make a good thief... or I could replace him with bernie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Which difficulty should I play if I want to be a support slut to fill out the log?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I lost ignatz in a battle where Bernie would have won

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So are tea conversations a total crap shoot? Having trouble finding any rhyme or reason to them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Really enjoying this this far, but the UI could use some work --- the batallion stuff in particular, it's hard to see when someone is due for an upgrade.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I feel bad poaching other houses for students. I got Sylvain only because I want to spare the other teachers from him, and I'll get Dorothea because i like her hat but otherwise I'm going to leave these anime babies to their own devices. Well ok I'll probably also get Bernadette because she's a complete mess so she belongs in Golden Deer.

Hey now, they joined who they thought was the best. It's a competitive environment where you can't stick with your old home if they want to go far.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I switched edelgard from speedy zerker to fortress knight, and man it's so worth it. Having a unit that takes 0 damage from multiple beasts is worth it, when the rest of the team are super speedster mages.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019

Tired Moritz posted:

Which difficulty should I play if I want to be a support slut to fill out the log?

Normal because it gives some free maps for battles which lets you grind out supports easier and it's less punishing to bring lower levelled characters along.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Am I supposed to sell the fish that don't mention any benefits like the gold one?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Is there some trick to recruiting students from other classes? Should I be dining with them? I'm mostly dining with my own students to boost their motivation.

Other than Sylvain who apparently will always accept if you're playing female Byleth, everyone keeps refusing to join my classroom. :sad:

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Raising their support levels makes them easier to recruit so just pick the ones you like best and shower them in gifts, give them their lost items, dine with them, bring them along to battles as adjudants to Byleth once you get that option etc

Check what weapons/skills they like and train those as well but if you get to B support the requirements are way lower, I think you only need D rank in whatever they like with that which is not too difficult to get.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Deified Data posted:

So are tea conversations a total crap shoot? Having trouble finding any rhyme or reason to them.

It goes by the character's personality. They are usually pretty obvious.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Tired Moritz posted:

Normal has unlimited battles for that sort of thing, but supports in battle have a rather wide radius, it's not side by side. By chapter six I was hitting Bs with a lot of my characters on hard, it's not something you really need to worry about. That and later on you can effectively pair someone up so they just e x i s t with the unit, which gives a metric fuckton of support points.

So don't worry about it, they come pretty fast in this game between other units. I think with Byleth themselves it's a little slower, to account for teaching etc.

Ojetor posted:

Is there some trick to recruiting students from other classes? Should I be dining with them? I'm mostly dining with my own students to boost their motivation.

Other than Sylvain who apparently will always accept if you're playing female Byleth, everyone keeps refusing to join my classroom. :sad:

It'll tell you what stats you need, but keep in mind this is a fairly hefty investment in Byleth to do that. Support ranks lower it drastically, with B supports basically being a free pass into your clubhouse. You can get them with adjutant support ranks, which you get at professor level C+?, or just hanging out with them in school. After the first few chapters getting motivation with your class doesn't have the same returns outside of budding talents, so it's not a terrible idea to spend your time getting supports.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You can also get supports pretty easily with gifts.

Also big :siren:Pro Tip:siren:

Most sidequest battles are kinda a huge waste of time, but one is absolutely critical. There's one that talks about Merchants being waylaid and says more will show up if you beat it. As far as I know this is the only way to open up the shops that sell gifts/food/fish bait.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

This thread moves fast, so I apologize if this has been answered many times, or recently, but does the 'Faculty Training' time-spender in Exploration contribute anything toward Professor Level? I haven't ever seen the Professor Level xp progress pop up, so it leads me to assume it doesn't contribute.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

5er posted:

This thread moves fast, so I apologize if this has been answered many times, or recently, but does the 'Faculty Training' time-spender in Exploration contribute anything toward Professor Level? I haven't ever seen the Professor Level xp progress pop up, so it leads me to assume it doesn't contribute.

Nope. It can still be worth it once you get a higher Professor level though, you start to run out of things to spend time points on.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Deified Data posted:

For the most part I've found them to be fairly consistant with the character (So Leonie you want to talk about Jeralt? Something that isn't Jeralt? Or something else that isn't Jeralt? :shrug:) which just makes it a bit of a crap-shoot when they're not in your house and haven't had much in the way of previous of interaction with them. The bonus response at the end if you get 3 from 3 seems to be a bit more obtuse or random though, so far anyway.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Zore posted:

You can also get supports pretty easily with gifts.

Also big :siren:Pro Tip:siren:

Most sidequest battles are kinda a huge waste of time, but one is absolutely critical. There's one that talks about Merchants being waylaid and says more will show up if you beat it. As far as I know this is the only way to open up the shops that sell gifts/food/fish bait.

Side quest battles are mostly just experience pinatas, but they do give extra renown, and renown is always good to have

Also I'm reasonably certain I've gained professor experience from doing faculty training. Hell, I'm pretty sure everything that eats exploration points does.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Reading books about fishing are better teacher training than actually teaching.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
If you're having tea with them while Exploring you can just save scum to pick better choices next time. For birthdays on the calendar it's a crapshoot unless you really know the character so flowers is the safer option. You only need 2 good answers for a decent support boost at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Funky Valentine posted:

Reading books about fishing are better teacher training than actually teaching.

While teaching can you do the fantasy equivalent of putting on a movie for an hour so you don't have to actually do your job?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I have fought two beasts and right now Edelgard is doing her best to show just how much she hates them. The first one she hit for 75 damage and while it didn't kill the thing, it was so weak that all I had to do was blow on it to finish the thing off. The second beast she hit for 126 damage and I am pretty sure they will be picking up pieces of the thing for months.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Anyone have a link to a good strategy guide? Something with suggestions of who to recruit and recommended classes and stuff like that?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Gravy Jones posted:

So my (real) child is taking my precious, damaged war-children away for a couple of weeks when he goes on holiday and I will be Switchless. What do I play in the meantime? Thought I'd ask here rather than the general recomendation thread.

No Switch (obviously). PS4 preferred, although can do Xbox if I have to and possibly 3DS. Would prefer something not horribly expensive (Awakenings :argh:) . I've played Persona 4 and 5. I'd be more interested in something based on the school sim/relationship/character stuff than needing it to be specifical a tactics based game.

One thing I like about this is for just about any other game this would cause me to go back and restart, but in this case I know I'm probably going to run through it a couple more times so I'll just treat this whole run as a learning experience.

trails of cold steel on ps4 or steam, for sure. it's part of a greater series, but references to the other trails games are mostly just nods and "oh i remember this guy" kinda stuff.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Zore posted:

Nope. It can still be worth it once you get a higher Professor level though, you start to run out of things to spend time points on.

Thanks! A couple websites seem to have wrong information about this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
loving hell. Hey, in February on edelguard's route if you don't want to waste your exploration accidentally

Don't talk to Edelgard as your first action. It uses up your whole day

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
I can't wait for Lunatic difficulty, I think I'm just about cresting the hill of Hard mode and starting to roll downhil. The Chapter 6 battle was very easy, with some characters falling behind in the map as others mowed through enemies. The two battles I did in the lead up probably didn't hurt, either...

Byleth, Edelgard, Hubert, Linhardt, and Caspar are all star performers. Ferdinand and Sylvain as cavaliers aren't terribly deadly (Sylvain's spear aside), I think they both got screwed in STR, but great movement and decent durability is enough most of the time. I have no idea what to do with Petra, I have her as a Thief and that was handy in the last battle, but she could also go Peg Knight, or Brigand for wyverns later (also I think her growths were bad). Dorothea has been awkward because she has the movement battalion, so she often gets left in the dust, but she's still very good at Thoron-ing things to death. She also just got Physic, so yay for a proper second healer.

I grabbed Lysithea, Ashe and Shamir (mostly for pairing up with other characters) (I wanna play matchmaker, shut up) and Lys has actually been a little disappointing, she has no 3-range spells like Hubert has. Ashe is only ok too, he comes as an Archer but Bernie is doing fine, especially when I remember to get her hit so her damage boost ability kicks in. Haven't used Shamir yet. At any rate, once I get enough Adjutant slots, the crappy halves of a given couple can just be cheerleaders instead.

Apparently the Paraloges are tricky, so I'll see how I do with them.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Inflammatory posted:

trails of cold steel on ps4 or steam, for sure. it's part of a greater series, but references to the other trails games are mostly just nods and "oh i remember this guy" kinda stuff.

With the added bonus that I actually bought this a while back, didn't get around to playing it and had forgotten I owned it. Thanks!

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Just got the Meteor spell on Dorothea and there's a bunch of dudes all clumped up together :getin:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The game's two big difficulty spikes seem to be around level 15 when Paralogues unlock and then the time skip when enemies all get a huge bump up in weapons and stats. Those were the only times I really had issues during my Black Eagles playthrough.

Hell my absurdly blessed Edelgard went from taking 0 damage from the non-bosses on the fight before the time skip to getting utterly clowned on and taken down by two enemies who could attack her at the same time in the next chapter.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Also Petra's really good, but I think she's just weighted really hard towards speed and str. I made her an Assassin and she can just crit people all the time.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Nanigans posted:

Anyone have a link to a good strategy guide? Something with suggestions of who to recruit and recommended classes and stuff like that?

The only one of these I'd seen was pretty bad and not worth finding again and linking. For the most part it seems to be only refence lists (like who gets what gift etc) at this point.

I think part of it is it's all so flexible there isn't really a right/wrong/optimal setup. You don't need to recruit anyone unless you feel like you're lacking something, but even then you could just train one of your existing dudes up in the thing you're lacking instead. Although I guess that might be more of an issue for people playing with permadeath, which I'm not!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I feel bad because I am on normal and find it pretty challenging. I've had to use rewind a lot.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Everyone looks so much better post timeskip imo

Like you can tell the artist was instructed to do those first and then work backward to do the academy period designs

nice, looking forward to the Ignatz glowup

I feel bad because I am on normal and find it pretty challenging. I've had to use rewind a lot.

I used rewind just once so far, when I didn't realize a gang of baddies would kill Lyssy.

With the "aggro lines" being a thing it's def easier to tell who will attack who and also helps strategize who else you can move in to take aggro. So many times I've had 3 people aim for one of my guys, until I move 2 others in position to draw the aggression.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 29, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Tae posted:

loving hell. Hey, in February on edelguard's route if you don't want to waste your exploration accidentally

Don't talk to Edelgard as your first action. It uses up your whole day

That was like the biggest dick move in the game so far.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Zore posted:

The game's two big difficulty spikes seem to be around level 15 when Paralogues unlock and then the time skip when enemies all get a huge bump up in weapons and stats. Those were the only times I really had issues during my Black Eagles playthrough.

Hell my absurdly blessed Edelgard went from taking 0 damage from the non-bosses on the fight before the time skip to getting utterly clowned on and taken down by two enemies who could attack her at the same time in the next chapter.

That's cool to know!

Lure enemies, gang up on them.

Put your toughest unit riiiiiight on the edge of an enemy's danger zone (remember to check combat math - the enemy's Might and AS, your own Prot/Res and AS) and move your other units just behind. Once the enemy has taken the bait, weaken it with ranged attacks (most melee enemies have trash Res so magic works great) and go in for the kill with whoever. Abuse the poo poo out of healing items and your healers, units should be at fill health at all times.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

DLC Inc posted:

nice, looking forward to the Ignatz glowup

One character I was not expecting to become super hot as an adult was Ashe, but drat man :stare:

Also, minor Blue Lions spoilers I'm really hoping Annette and Gilbert reconnect because it's killing me that they're right next to each other all this time and dad won't say anything

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Ashe had that goodest boy aura as a student so no wonder he turns out really hot as an adult (and yes I know about his backstory from his B support with Byleth)

Lysithea got the best glow up of all the not lords though

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 29, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how the game seems to be very gradually, including in support conversations, implying that (minor early game thing)Blue Lions have some kind of issue with crests and discrimination based on them/being a noble. Even Sylvain has briefly gotten serious on the topic. It's a big change from support events in Fates/Awakening just being a brief comedic exchange. Specifically, it feels like you're meant to see the supports as part of the story, as opposed to them being an almost entirely optional thing.

I have a couple gameplay questions re: battalions. When I first got and equipped one of the magic battalions I was under the impression its attack was an ice AoE, but instead it seems like it's just a single-target attack with a bigger range? Is this the case for all battalion attacks? Also, will battalions equipped early be used throughout the game? They level up, but there are also higher rank ones if you have higher rank Authority (and I don't know how high everyones' authority will naturally get).

I'm also guessing there's not much reason not to use up gambits during fights (though often they're not any stronger than regular weapon skills, though with the benefit of not using up equipment durability).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I think I'll hold off on recruiting more students than the three I already poached so I'll have more new stuff for future playthroughs.

It's not I'll have room to use them anyway, especially when I start getting the teachers and other misc units

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 29, 2019