Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mat Cauthon posted:

I have some bad news for you about most non-profits.

Oh I'm well aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ZeroCount posted:

I'm sure being a professional judge will be just as rewarding and profitable as being a professional player

A non-mpl pro mind you.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
For a company that had a great financial year why are they operating like one that's close to going out of business and are making desperate measures to stay afloat

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

80s James Hetfield posted:

For a company that had a great financial year why are they operating like one that's close to going out of business and are making desperate measures to stay afloat

Because WotC is a subsidiary of Hasbro who is going out of business and making desperate measures to stay afloat

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

I don't know any real details (hearing it basically third-hand), but after the judge lawsuit was settled, the options were basically "terminate the judge program" or "establish the judge program as an independent corporation".

Once the program is an independent company that can't just pull money out of WotC coffers, you end up with a dues payment structure. WotC could have set up something where they put up some seed money or something, but maybe legally they couldn't without ending up where they were before where they "owned" the program but also tried to keep it at arms' length.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fiduciary responsibility to Hasbro shareholders.

It's business sense, in that some consultant promised them at that cutting costs (like labor or financing events and coverage) and reducing the possibility of liability will maximize short term returns on MTG's recent successes and if the game tanks in the long term as a response well that's just how these things go.

All jokes aside it's real bad for the longevity of the game that they are just hollowing out so many aspects of mid--to-upper level competitive play and if I was a LGS owner I'd be worried as hell right now.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

CellBlock posted:

I don't know any real details (hearing it basically third-hand), but after the judge lawsuit was settled, the options were basically "terminate the judge program" or "establish the judge program as an independent corporation".

Once the program is an independent company that can't just pull money out of WotC coffers, you end up with a dues payment structure. WotC could have set up something where they put up some seed money or something, but maybe legally they couldn't without ending up where they were before where they "owned" the program but also tried to keep it at arms' length.

Or they could've just paid the judges.

Paying people for their work: a radical completely untenable idea in 2019

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

:same: This entire thing is brilliant.

What I can't quite figure out is how the new owner of Judge Academy got declared supreme emperor of judging. I feel like WOTC declared him so or something but nobody wants to say that.
Grand Supreme God-Emperor Tim

I have really mixed feelings about the whole situation on one hand Tim from Cascade Games ran great events in the PNW with fair prices and good prizing. The GP’s I’ve attended ran by Cascade Games were done a lot better than the ones ran by CFB (aside from the technology advances that CFB has made).

On the other hand this whole new judge program sounds like a complete joke and I feel sorry for the judges that have busted their asses and put up with so much poo poo over the last number of years only to now be told they have to pay money to a third party to be a judge. I’m surprised there isn’t a line about how if you get a certain number of people to sign up as a judge under you then you get a bonus set of promos a la some multi level marketing BS

Like many people indicated over the prior couple of pages I’m glad that I’ve been steadily dumping the cards that I am not using.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

Because WotC is a subsidiary of Hasbro who is going out of business and making desperate measures to stay afloat

The best thing that could happen to Magic is have Hasbro tank, and a company that understands what made Magic successful picks it up.

I still think you guys all heralding the end of paper magic are over-reacting. Wizards will not stop printing master sets, and people will still go to Gran Prix events for the fun of it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DangerDongs posted:

Wizards will not stop printing master sets

This one has gone over so well.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Sickening posted:

You don't need to come into the magic thread and defend the honor of software programmers. Nobody gives a poo poo.

Still feel like my post added more value than whatever it is you're doing.

RIP the judge program, but I look forward to going to FNM's in ten years where we get out our VR headsets and just play Arena across the table from each other. No more shady judge calls!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Can't wait to see what the quality and coverage of judging looks like next year as the vast majority are just mtg finance gurus signed up for the promos. Especially in the countries with low purchasing power.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DangerDongs posted:

people will still go to Gran Prix events for the fun of it.

not when falling demand puts cfb in financial trouble and they cut back support even more than it's already cut, lol

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

axeil posted:

after you sign your match slip you can choose how much you want to tip your judge

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DangerDongs posted:

The best thing that could happen to Magic is have Hasbro tank, and a company that understands what made Magic successful picks it up.

It's loving dead if it gets to that point. One bad quarter is all it takes to end these game companies. Having Hasbro at your back for a bad quarter or year is a game changer.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lol at the furor when Epic buys the magic ip at the bankruptcy auction.

I do wonder if they'd be doing things differently if they didn't have Arena to be a plan A.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

on one hand the status quo has been stable for decades, but on the other hand you could burn it all to the ground in exchange for a new vacation home

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lord Of Texas posted:

Still feel like my post added more value than whatever it is you're doing.

RIP the judge program, but I look forward to going to FNM's in ten years where we get out our VR headsets and just play Arena across the table from each other. No more shady judge calls!

Okay champ. I am sorry I hurt your feelings. You just bored because slack is down?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

dragon enthusiast posted:

after you sign your match slip you can choose how much you want to tip your judge

Please tip your judges in Cash. The academy will reduce their guaranteed foil promos to offset your credit card tips so you're really tipping Uber, Door Dash, the Judge Academy

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Here's judge slack postings, featuring bootlickers, and EDB who is good. (EDB is the USA-East region Community Manager)

Note that the colors between post don't necessarily mean the same person, but within posts are the same person.

To start: This came about ABSOLUTELY because Hasbro got sued.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Sickening posted:

:allears: Amazing

Still trying to move all the paper magic cards I have. We are just a few bad organized play announcements away from really bad things. Don't be left holding the bag.

Yeah I’ve started shrinking my modern collection. I’ll probably keep a few decks to play with my friend group who for the most part could not give a gently caress about competition play.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
have you ever wanted to call a judge at your local kitchen table magic game? well with the new JudgeJaunt app, just simply tap a button and a local judge will be dispatched to your location within 10-30mins

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Here's judge slack postings, featuring bootlickers, and EDB who is good. (EDB is the USA-East region Community Manager)

Note that the colors between post don't necessarily mean the same person, but within posts are the same person.

To start: This came about ABSOLUTELY because Hasbro got sued.

This is better than anything on tv right now. Inject it directly into my veins.

Whoever this Sabin person is, he is definitely not hiding the fact that he plans to profit and he doesn't care who knows it. I love it.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Paying to judge Magic and being paid in Magic cards reads like a bad joke, but it's real.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

That back and forth "hey if they don't want to join Judge Academy they shouldn't join, problem solved" sounds like the Milton bit from the office. Oh we didn't fire him, we just fixed the glitch. It'll work itself out.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lol at "we didn't want to make it a for-profit but in the end we were forced to" followed by "it's a for-profit so you're entitled to zero transparency whatsoever"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dragon enthusiast posted:

have you ever wanted to call a judge at your local kitchen table magic game? well with the new JudgeJaunt app, just simply tap a button and a local judge will be dispatched to your location within 10-30mins

I mean

An app where you call a judge over video chat to answer your questions. Let the judges work from home, like decentralized call center work. Charge individuals $5 a month and stores $100. Make everybody a contractor.

We already do dystopian healthcare this way.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lmao where did tim shields COME FROM

Did WotC invite him in the room?

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 29, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

lmao where did tim shields COME FROM

Did WotC invite him in the room?

He was appointed, so to speak.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Skyl3lazer posted:

Who is Sabin? There is some hilarious taint licking being done and I can only hope he's getting paid for it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

So the judges won the lawsuit, so wotc threatened to axe the whole thing, so a bunch of top level judges got together to find a way to keep their authority and Tim Shields saw a way to make a buck, yes?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Cynic Jester posted:

Who is Sabin? There is some hilarious taint licking being done and I can only hope he's getting paid for it.

Sabin is just an rear end in a top hat L2 in USEast who doesnt deserve to be an anonymous bootlicker

ItBreathes posted:

So the judges won the lawsuit, so wotc threatened to axe the whole thing, so a bunch of top level judges got together to find a way to keep their authority and Tim Shields saw a way to make a buck, yes?

Judges didn't win the lawsuit, and the people that run (ran) the program do so because they honestly love the game and want tournaments to be fun for players. You'll note the positive tone in the first screenshot when they were 'allowed' to keep volunteering.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

Judge Judged Judges Judged Injustly; Corporation Panics

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

extremely powerful lmbos being generated by this. wizards has a history of diving whole-hog into changes that they then sheepishly walk back (cf. masterpieces, masters sets, the two-block paradigm) so we’ll see; if CFB/SCG start to panic, they’ll lean hard on WOTC

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

my guess is that this is driven less by the ongoing cost of judges were they to be paid and more about "hrmm what happens if we gotta pay up for the last 25 years"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They've already pulled the rug out from under CFB as best I can tell. I think they'd be happy whaling on Arena and selling commander products (decks and specialty boosters) in big box stores.

Not that I can say that'd be a winning play, but it's not hard to see that as the conclusion of their recent actions.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I just saw a post on social media with someone advertising that they would cover the judge fees for people in exchange for the judge promos for the year... Never change mtgfinance, never change.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Huxley posted:

I mean

An app where you call a judge over video chat to answer your questions. Let the judges work from home, like decentralized call center work. Charge individuals $5 a month and stores $100. Make everybody a contractor.

We already do dystopian healthcare this way.

why even have a judge at the other end! Introducing Wilkens the Wizard, the new automated voice assistant by WOTC.

Just say, Hey Wilkens, I've got a Mycosynth Lattice and Titania's Song in play. What the gently caress happens and our machine learning neural network algorithms will handle all your ruling needs right from the comfort of your own home.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

They've already pulled the rug out from under CFB as best I can tell. I think they'd be happy whaling on Arena and selling commander products (decks and specialty boosters) in big box stores.

Not that I can say that'd be a winning play, but it's not hard to see that as the conclusion of their recent actions.

Which is great right up until the first string of lovely sets happens in Arena and whoops suddenly their game eats itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Why would anyone want to be an L3 now?

$400 + travel expenses just for some random foils you have to hope will offset that plus I guess some boxes of the latest sets?

I mean congrats to Wizards for somehow convincing people to pay them for the privelage of working for free, I guess.