Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Having tried all of those, I have to disagree. Even if Steam is terrible (mostly from getting obsolete UI-wise), Origin, uPlay and others are even more terrible (I don't know how they manage to do it, tbh). The only decent store launchers (not talking about single-game stuff like Elite's launcher, though that one has its own problems as well) I can think of are Battle.net and WG launcher at the moment, and even those I uninstall instantly when I am taking breaks from their games. Though to be honest, maybe uPlay and origin improved their functionality lately (hahaha, I doubt that).

To me, an info about free game on uPlay / Origin / Epic / few more stores just means I won't get it. It's just not worth getting extra bloatware into the PC.

As a side note EA does at least know that Origin sucks rear end and there is a planned replacement-type thing called project Juno but I haven't heard much about it recently.

I have the most exposure to Steam and Origin and it's incredible how bad Origin is in comparison. It's almost once a day that something breaks in it and it just stops loading stuff. The 'Play' button just disappears from the game description quite often and it's almost as common for your whole Game Library page to just not appear. Incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
And to be fair I'm also speculating, I'm just saying there's other possibilities.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, anyway, I'll admit that I don't know why Aliens: Colonial Marines shipped like that and that I was speculating. I was just using it as an example of something being missed at least partially because of turnover.

My main point is the technical debt of unfinished assets + turnover is probably what is causing the long unfixed issues to pile up in SC and keeping them from using previous work to create new assets.

I don't disagree entirely, but I would counter-argue that the concept of "unfixed issues" is a bit of a misnomer. Star Citizen doesn't have issues - Star Citizen IS issues. It's a hacked engine with graphical assets and no plan. You can't fix a flight model when you haven't built one - which they haven't. You can't fix "ships" when you don't have ships - you have graphics that appear to be ships, but with no underlying systems. There are no underlying systems because they haven't been designed yet. They are still trying to gently caress with the systems enough to make some ship models appear to be flying around and having dogfights, and not even that is working, and if it's not crashing or otherwise malfunctioning, even then it feels like raw poo poo.

Smoke and mirrors is too generous to describe it because even then you have actual smoke machines and real mirrors. Star Citizen is fake smoke and fake mirrors thrown together to make it look like a game is just around the corner. I mean look at all those screenshots! Look at all these offices! Look at our cons, and our employees, look we're working on object container streaming! They said we wouldn't have planets and look we have planets! Now we have a train! Look at our MOONS. It's PROOF it's real! This is just like how Theranos had real doctors, real scientists, real buildings, and real lab equipment. But the actual product they were supposedly working toward was simply not going to happen, no matter how real the individual moving parts were. CIG has been spinning their tires from the very beginning, and all the backers have been doing is funding retreads.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 29, 2019

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
All game launchers / stores are great

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh, yeah, my point is that SC is that problem on a grand, grand scale. Years and years of technical debt and half finished systems that no one even knows where to start sorting through. The only way they'd have a serious chance of making a working game at this point is to scrap everything and start over with a firm vision and a consistent team.

But that will never happen. They are committed to milking whales and might eventually limp to the finish line someday with a "finished" product that even the staunchest of backers can't defend.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

History Comes Inside! posted:

If I already have to use Uplay, Origin, Bethesda launcher, GOG Galaxy, battle.net and Steam why should I be mad about EGS?

Genuine question I've somehow completely missed whatever the drama is.

Here's the gist of it. Very broad strokes, don't get mad at the messenger:
- EGS is a very "early days" platform which has no forum, no shopping cart, no streaming services (...). People have also reported missing email confirmation system (not my experience) and that the client would share or scan your Steam activity or something for statistics. Kind of shady stuff.
- Epic gave money to an increasing amount of developers for timed exclusivity against apparently only Steam (other platforms may get the games earlier).
- The above happened at least three times (that I know of) for crowdfunded projects, where the backers had already been promised/ (or had chosen when asked) Steam (or other) keys. The announcements from the devs on switching platforms were considered blatant and/or insulting/trust-breaking to their backer base.
- The above happened while pre-orders on Steam (and maybe elsewhere) were already active, and those were refunded in most occasions (as far as I know).

So (probably a lot of) people have their reasons to be mad at EGS.
You don't have to be, though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm mad. Mad at the messenger!

MAD AT MSN MESSENGER!!!!!!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

- EGS is a very "early days" platform which has no forum, no shopping cart, no streaming services (...). People have also reported missing email confirmation system (not my experience) and that the client would share or scan your Steam activity or something for statistics. Kind of shady stuff.
- Epic gave money to an increasing amount of developers for timed exclusivity against apparently only Steam (other platforms may get the games earlier).
- The above happened at least three times (that I know of) for crowdfunded projects, where the backers had already been promised/ (or had chosen when asked) Steam (or other) keys. The announcements from the devs on switching platforms were considered blatant and/or insulting/trust-breaking to their backer base.
- The above happened while pre-orders on Steam (and maybe elsewhere) were already active, and those were refunded in most occasions (as far as I know).

A good thing to do is wait. I find it solves most of my problems. I pick up games a couple years after they launch and it gives me the following benefits:

1 - A more stable build with the worst bugs usually resolved
2 - Store exclusives may have expired
3 - More DLC content, often included in the base price of the game
4 - Base price of the game dramatically reduced
5 - I can play the game with the graphics maxed out because I have better hardware than the game was designed for and have a superior experience

The negatives:

1 - If it's a live service game said service may be degraded or in the worst case nonexistent
2 - I miss out on the experience of playing with the first-day passionate and not at all toxic playerbase (this may actually be a positive)

In fact, my best advice is to wait 20 years and play the game on an emulator from a team of passionate gaming archivists. This will help you avoid "You need a Bethesda account and an internet connection to play Doom 1."

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

"You need a Bethesda account and an internet connection to play Doom 1."

I think we can all agree that Bethesda's launcher can suck a fat dick.

peter gabriel posted:

Bethesda shill spotted.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

A good example is that I just got GTA 5. The game released in 2013, I waited until 2019 to buy it. I got it for 15 bucks, it includes everything, I can play the single-player game and it runs great, and I can play the online version in a solo session and just gently caress around casually and not give one flying gently caress about a single thing in their online store.

It's the way to go.

If 6 years seems like a long time to wait for a game may I refer you to a little-known project called Star Citizen.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Scruffpuff posted:

A good thing to do is wait. I find it solves most of my problems. I pick up games a couple years after they launch and it gives me the following benefits:

1 - A more stable build with the worst bugs usually resolved
2 - Store exclusives may have expired
3 - More DLC content, often included in the base price of the game
4 - Base price of the game dramatically reduced
5 - I can play the game with the graphics maxed out because I have better hardware than the game was designed for and have a superior experience

The negatives:

1 - If it's a live service game said service may be degraded or in the worst case nonexistent
2 - I miss out on the experience of playing with the first-day passionate and not at all toxic playerbase (this may actually be a positive)

In fact, my best advice is to wait 20 years and play the game on an emulator from a team of passionate gaming archivists. This will help you avoid "You need a Bethesda account and an internet connection to play Doom 1."

Agreed on all accounts. There are maybe one or two games that I will be convinced to get day-one (or close to it) per year, if they get extremely positive reviews and are really appealing to me. (eg last year it was "Return of Obra Dinn").

And I am still waiting on GTA5 :) because there's zero chance that I'll play it right away, even if I get it at a very very low price.

Next crowdfunding project I'll support will be when hell freezes over or Star Citizen gets good.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How can we know development hell if we've never been to development heaven?

Star Citizen: Development Heaven is a parp on Earth.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

Agreed on all accounts. There are maybe one or two games that I will be convinced to get day-one (or close to it) per year, if they get extremely positive reviews and are really appealing to me. (eg last year it was "Return of Obra Dinn").

And I am still waiting on GTA5 :) because there's zero chance that I'll play it right away, even if I get it at a very very low price.

There are definitely games here and there where I will happily pony up full price at release, for a combination of reasons which include not wanting to wait due to anticipation, wanting to support developers I respect and trust, the sense of exploration that results from not being able to Google all the answers. Last time I remember doing that was for Witcher 3, for which I have no regrets. But nowadays those games are rare. I'm on the fence with the new Cyberpunk game, for example. Might just wait for the first 15% off for that one. But usually I wait. I realize it's the way of the internet to rant and rave about what should be. Games should be playable on release, they should be worth the price, etc. But all the ranting and raving in the world won't change it - the only thing that could measurably impact that new developer tendency of releasing unfinished poo poo under the umbrella of "live services" is just not buying new broken poo poo, so that's what I do. A wise man once said "act in a way that, if everyone acted that way, things would work out." It's also why I don't give Chris Roberts money. If everyone acted that way, this debacle would have ended long ago.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm choosing to be furious about the Blizzard launcher. Nobody seems upset with that at the moment, so that's my fresh new niche for saying relevant. Eat poo poo with your reasonably functional game launcher, Blizzard, you loving hacks.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm choosing to be furious about the Blizzard launcher. Nobody seems upset with that at the moment, so that's my fresh new niche for saying relevant. Eat poo poo with your reasonably functional game launcher, Blizzard, you loving hacks.

Funny I haven't heard about the Operating System. Without that initial launcher, none of the other launchers would even have a platform to function on. In fact, gently caress HARDWARE too, since the OS won't work without it.

It's launchers all the way down, and they're all poo poo.

I play all my games the old school way, in my mind, just like the citizens.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Sarsapariller posted:

Meanwhile in Space Games That Kickstarted Years After Star Citizen news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1EiYqKgJ8o

Budget: $350K

Star Citizen: 350M soon-ish.

Ratio: 0.1%

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I'm mad at the Red Alert 1 launcher for yelling WARNING: TOP SECRET MILITARY SOFTWARE DETECTED and then my grandma thought I was hacking the government.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Zaphod42 posted:

As we said a page or two ago, there's no reason to fix any of this because none of it is final. There's no design yet. This is all just a farce.

If there was a design document they could build a game to match that document and improve parts of it that aren't right, aka, bugs.

There is no design.

Nobody at CIG knows what the dogfighting is supposed to be like, so nobody can say definitively what's wrong. Is the braking a bug? Is the acceleration a bug? Is turning a bug? Don't know!

Everybody's got their own idea, and at this point they've been working on this disaster of a codebase for years and most of them are probably just killing time like its The Office until they can go home each day, since they know their efforts aren't going to amount to anything.

Why work super hard on something when you know that in a week someone is going to delete all your code and create something new, that then breaks and you have to fix that? There's no point. Just leave it broken, let them replace it, and then fix the real system.

Except we're never getting the real system because they haven't even started designing it. They're stuck now on this massive massive massive debt of promises that would cost a fortune to implement, and they need more income to keep the lights on and keep paying to develop things they've promised, so they have to promise more things, and then to make those things they need to promise more things...

They're so far deep into a massive hole of debt that the idea of actually designing the game properly and shipping it is beyond them. Its not ever going to happen.

The smartest thing SC can do right now, the thing any producer with the least bit of experience would make them do, would be to cut EVERYTHING and start over with a very minimal set of promises and build an MVP on that. But they can't do that because it would mean admitting they've lied.

They can't fix A because B is broken and they can't fix B because C doesn't exist yet.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

AbstractNapper posted:

Thanks for the rundown.

Speaking just for myself, none of that is a dealbreaker for me because I don't use any of those "bells and whistles" on the other storefronts anyway. I don't even use my friends lists these days because all the people I'd ever play with are also in slack or WhatsApp groups or any number of other messaging services I'd rather use than some other proprietary chat.

For the way I buy and play games it's literally just another launcher and so I'm gonna definitely have to download it for Mechwarrior (unless I get into a backlog and forget all about it until it's on steam in which case I'll just buy it wherever it's cheapest).

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

peter gabriel posted:

Time to spay

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AbstractNapper posted:

Next crowdfunding project I'll support will be when hell freezes over

"Sorry, but i'm not allowed to enlighten you, even by default, on prevailing weather conditions in the afterlife." - Death.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Funny I haven't heard about the Operating System. Without that initial launcher, none of the other launchers would even have a platform to function on. In fact, gently caress HARDWARE too, since the OS won't work without it.

It's launchers all the way down, and they're all poo poo.

I play all my games the old school way, in my mind, just like the citizens.

I used to play D&D but then Wizards introduced that goddamn D&D game launcher, what with all those goddamn pages and letters and poo poo. Now I'll never play again!

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I heard Ben also hates launchers and bloat. That's why he had so much trouble getting off that couch.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

But like you said, its uPlay/Origin/Epic. Not just Epic.

I've been that way since goddamn like 2004 dude. I've been like "gently caress I hate Origin, I don't want to install Origin to play this game". It sucks but that ship has come and gone, its reality.
That's why getting mad about EGL makes zero sense to me. Where were y'all all these years?

Nah, its something that's cultural, its popular online to hate so people do it without thinking about it. Its mob mentality.

There's TONS of exclusives on EA but nobody says poo poo. But then a game is EGL exclusive and people lose their goddamned minds.

"But they're buying indies! Nobody else did that!"

Uhhhh, EA does that every day. But I have never once seen a twitch stream explode with "gently caress ORIGIN gently caress ORIGIN" the way that every EGL game announcement does right now.
People are just waiting for their chance to hate on EGL now. Its all memes.

I've seen people hate on Origin quite a lot, actually. EA gets hated on for buying companies and destroying them all the time.

It's just that these issues, with Origin, uPlay and EA, have been going on for years and they kinda... lost their initial edge. Epic is just another round of the same. In few years it will be hated on only casually and new contender will come.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AbstractNapper posted:

I'm mad because they have a problem that prevents it from being installed entirely that's had a solution out there since before Epic Launcher was even a thing (several years ago, it's possibly a problem native to Unreal launchers) and they didn't even add my solution to it to their dumb loving FAQ after I had to dig around for a whole week finding it. I handed you the solution, dickbags! Put it on your list of solutions!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

What is your problem you impatient little brat! Don't you know its still early days! Besides, if you weren't such a poor you would own an 890!

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

Zaphod42 posted:

The smartest thing SC can do right now, the thing any producer with the least bit of experience would make them do, would be to cut EVERYTHING and start over with a very minimal set of promises and build an MVP on that.
Why not just wait until they get sentenced to pay a low single-digit million amount as compensation to CryTek and then blame ze Germans for not being able to finish the greatest space sim ever dreamed of?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsar Mikey posted:

I'm mad at the Red Alert 1 launcher for yelling WARNING: TOP SECRET MILITARY SOFTWARE DETECTED and then my grandma thought I was hacking the government.

I remember that from RA2, did they both have that?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Guys stop spoiling poo poo about future titles

*checks thread*

My mistake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Scruffpuff posted:

That was a bug that has been fixed, but it won't stop the army of gamers who already got their pitchforks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Lmao

One thing I hate about the blizz launcher is there's games in my list I can't remove, like hearthstone and COD.

Not even Origin does that poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A bug that got fixed, or a feature that got turned off when they decided they couldn't afford anymore ill will from consumers?

:raise:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

h3isenbug posted:

Why not just wait until they get sentenced to pay a low single-digit million amount as compensation to CryTek and then blame ze Germans for not being able to finish the greatest space sim ever dreamed of?

Well, it depends upon your goals, yeah :)

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm mad. Mad at the messenger!

MAD AT MSN MESSENGER!!!!!!

MSN Messenger is just a Skypegoat! The true evil is Teams! :bahgawd:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

A bug that got fixed, or a feature that got turned off when they decided they couldn't afford anymore ill will from consumers?

:raise:

A bug, no need to get tinfoil about this.

It was actually a feature meant to give back to the community, ironically. Its only there to give you credit for slayers club, a doom fan club to reward doom fans with free merch. I mean, its all a marketing thing, but their hearts were legit in the right place?

Anybody assuming ill intent hasn't written software before.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
A string embedded into a videogame instructing the user that an online account "is required to play this title", a bug

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:owned:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Is it to soon to start hating on Napster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

There's a huge gap between knowing something is wrong, and knowing exactly where to look. My guess is the question was "how long to fix it," the answer was "we don't know, we have to check everything," and the answer to that was "then gently caress it."

Not a programmer more engineering but this is very important point. How long will it take to X. An when you are being honest in saying I don't know which often realistically the case, the answer is gently caress it, give me the what we have.

Managers are always weary of black holes, no one likes having to approve "don't know".

It's why it's so important to get to MVP as soon as possible, engineers love doing a better job there are always improvements to be made and they often spend to much time perfecting there work. If we get there early we can go back and improve work.

No one gives a poo poo about the best roof design of all time if there are no walls.