Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I osmosis’d it somehow so I’m guessing it’s an old sci-fi trope they don’t use as much anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Owlbear Camus posted:

Watched OG Alien with My Girlfriend the other night and it was interesting watching it with a newbie. She immediately thought the Ash reveal meant he was a human infected somehow by alien goo.

A lot of people thought this when the movie first first came out too, because Ripley and Parker as just kind of guessing as to why there's an android with them undercover so some people thought it to imply he was somehow alien-ish or even a completely unrelated type of alien life form.

For real though the white blood and the way he's just like, totally losing it through that whole part of the movie is so out of nowhere, it's loving awesome.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Watched OG Alien with My Girlfriend the other night and it was interesting watching it with a newbie. She immediately thought the Ash reveal meant he was a human infected somehow by alien goo.

That's what everyone thought when they saw it according to my dad (movie came out when I was born so I don't remember initial reaction to it).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Coming back from my regular TTRPG game, my copy of Aliens Labyrinth was waiting for me in the mail! :allears:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MonsieurChoc posted:

Coming back from my regular TTRPG game, my copy of Aliens Labyrinth was waiting for me in the mail! :allears:

Holy poo poo, FINALLY. I’m glad you got it!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My Girlfriend trip report, first viewing of Aliens.

She liked it better because the pacing was more suited to her millenial sensibilities. We actually realized I'm as old as Alien and she's as old as Aliens.

She was incredulous that Ripley would get involved again from the jump. "They adress it though; see she goes back as an advisor." "I would just let them debrief me and write a report. No way would I go back."

She called the power loader fight from the second they introduce the prop.

When I told her the theatrical cut didn't have as much motherhood stuff including Amanda Ripley she thought that was dumb and must have reduced it to just a shoot em up without much thematic weight. I told her Sigourney weaver would agree.

"The non-Latina is going to die next. I mean the faux Latina." I told her about the brown face which is a real bummer for such an iconic character.

She kept expecting Bishop to gently caress everyone because of the expectation set by Ash.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There’s a reasonably prevalent theory in the fan community that the eggs got onboard the Sulaco in ‘Alien3’ courtesy of Bishop.

I didn’t say it’s a good theory, or one I personally believe, but it gets tossed around almost every time the topic comes up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

When I told her the theatrical cut didn't have as much motherhood stuff including Amanda Ripley she thought that was dumb and must have reduced it to just a shoot em up without much thematic weight. I told her Sigourney weaver would agree.

that;s the one bit i don't quite understand cutting. the theme still comes through without it but it would've made a lot more sense/been more impactful with the inclusion of that scene. most of the rest is fat (and i never did get why cameron filmed pre-infestation hadley's hope).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

There’s a reasonably prevalent theory in the fan community that the eggs got onboard the Sulaco in ‘Alien3’ courtesy of Bishop.

I didn’t say it’s a good theory, or one I personally believe, but it gets tossed around almost every time the topic comes up.

She is not a big fan of nihilistic bullcrap, so I told her we were gonna stop with the second, and best film.

I tried to make her accept that they got back to Earth and adopted Newt and that was the end, but she demanded the real synopsis of Alien3 and was like WTF?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I suppose the only other theory that holds any water would be that the Queen went off and laid an egg somewhere before she attacked? I prefer that one because the Queen definitely demonstrated enough basic intelligence to be capable of something like that, and it also doesn't completely poo poo all over a beloved character like Bishop.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

She is not a big fan of nihilistic bullcrap, so I told her we were gonna stop with the second, and best film.

I tried to make her accept that they got back to Earth and adopted Newt and that was the end, but she demanded the real synopsis of Alien3 and was like WTF?

Dont puss out now. A3 extended is a must watch to close it all out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

If he (correctly) thought the omissions in the theatrical cut of Aliens were dumb wait til you show her the theatrical and then Assembly Cut (which is loving awesome) of Alien 3.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

that;s the one bit i don't quite understand cutting. the theme still comes through without it but it would've made a lot more sense/been more impactful with the inclusion of that scene. most of the rest is fat (and i never did get why cameron filmed pre-infestation hadley's hope).
Everything that got cut from 'Aliens' was cut because the studio wanted the movie's runtime trimmed down as close to 2 hours as Cameron could get. Like you said, the motherhood theme still comes through without the Amanda Ripley stuff, so it got the axe.

I really like the pre-infestation Hadley's Hope stuff because it makes the Marines' exploration that much more impactful. The Jorden family finding the Derelict is a little on the nose (especially since it just so happens to be Newt's own family that finds it), but I still like it.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Show her this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoRrZ3WCZD8&t=1s

Basebf555 posted:

I suppose the only other theory that holds any water would be that the Queen went off and laid an egg somewhere before she attacked? I prefer that one because the Queen definitely demonstrated enough basic intelligence to be capable of something like that, and it also doesn't completely poo poo all over a beloved character like Bishop.
The "problem" is that the Queen's whereabouts are essentially 100% accounted for - she's up in the landing gear until Bishop lands the dropship, and then she drops down and (literal) mayhem ensues. Meanwhile, the opening of 'Alien3' shows an egg stuffed up underneath one of the mess hall tables, somehow.
The way the Bishop theory goes, since he was remote-piloting a dropship and all on his lonesome on the other side of the colony for hours on end, he lied about the transit time and flew a dropship down, picked himself and an egg up, put the egg in the Sulaco, and then flew back down to pick up Ripley and company. There are obvious problems with this theory, and really the only reason people even bring it up is because 'Alien3' does such a poo poo job of establishing where the egg came from and places it in a nonsensical location. If the movie had shown the egg stashed away inside the dropship landing gear then I don't think it would have been such an issue.

There's no really "good" theory, and when the movie was being made and the topic of where the egg came from was brought up, the studio's official honest-to-god no-foolin' genuinely serious response was "the audience isn't supposed to ask that."

In more recent years the loose retcon has been that the Queen stuffed an egg in the innards of the dropship - I think the background menu animations on the Alien3 bluray reference it.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 22, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

The "problem" is that the Queen's whereabouts are essentially 100% accounted for - she's up in the landing gear until Bishop lands the dropship, and then she drops down and (literal) mayhem ensues. Meanwhile, the opening of 'Alien3' shows an egg stuffed up underneath one of the mess hall tables, somehow.

There's no really "good" theory, and when the movie was being made and the topic of where the egg came from was brought up, the studio's official honest-to-god no-foolin' genuinely serious response was "the audience isn't supposed to ask that."

In more recent years the loose retcon has been that the Queen stuffed an egg in the innards of the dropship - I think the background menu animations on the Alien3 bluray reference it.

Isn't there room for interpretation in the way it's edited though? As in, you could assume that maybe the dropship sits there on the landing pad for a while doing diagnostics or something before they get out, and it's enough time for the Queen to sneak off for a few minutes and hide an egg somewhere. Like, there isn't(correct me if I'm wrong)a continuous scene where you see the dropship land and them immediately disembark, there's a cut isn't there?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Isn't there room for interpretation in the way it's edited though? As in, you could assume that maybe the dropship sits there on the landing pad for a while doing diagnostics or something before they get out, and it's enough time for the Queen to sneak off for a few minutes and hide an egg somewhere. Like, there isn't(correct me if I'm wrong)a continuous scene where you see the dropship land and them immediately disembark, there's a cut isn't there?
That's true, but it seems weird that the Queen would go hide back in the dropship rather than go off and try to hide in wait in the bowels of the ship.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

That's true, but it seems weird that the Queen would go hide back in the dropship rather than go off and try to hide in wait in the bowels of the ship.

Well, if it's in vengeance mode rather than survival mode, maybe it returns to the dropship to set up the ambush rather than thinking about the best place to hide.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The egg rolled with all the zooming around!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I realized yesterday that Battle for Endor did the nihilistic, kill the previous movie's protagonists move years before Alien3.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SimonCat posted:

I realized yesterday that Battle for Endor did the nihilistic, kill the previous movie's protagonists move years before Alien3.

It's a slasher thing, Friday the 13th Part 2 did it in 1981.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

It's a slasher thing, Friday the 13th Part 2 did it in 1981.

Still amazing that a made for TV kids movie in the 1980s would use it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Davros1 posted:

The egg rolled with all the zooming around!

I mean given how we see it literally laying eggs right before Ripley confront it it's possibly it just popped one out whenever during the struggle/while it was making its way through the ship.

The ridiculous thing to me was never "an egg got on the ship" but more the way it's positioned in the movie. Like, there is literally no loving way in hell they went into hypersleep without completely scouring the place the first, and they place the egg in such a way that like, anyone would have seen it just while walking around or whatever.

So I can see why people like to think it was Bishop that did it but in some hard coded way that Bishop himself was not even aware of.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've always chalked it up to production of alien3 being a mess so they didn't think of it. or didn't care.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

or didn't care.

The correct way to make movies. Be like Ridley Scott and give no gently caress about continuity.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i couldn't do it but spielberg's gotta be the king. he doesn't give even the slightest poo poo about continuity between two shots.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Aliens Labyrinth was a good time. Kinda wish it had been longer: it kind of feel unfinished as is.

It has a lot of nice parallels to Alien: Covenant. David and Doctor Church would certainly enjoy a nice chat.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Owlbear Camus posted:

She was incredulous that Ripley would get involved again from the jump. "They adress it though; see she goes back as an advisor." "I would just let them debrief me and write a report. No way would I go back."

This is one of the dumbest parts of Aliens; there's no reason for the company to bring Ripley and the reasons for her going back are total poo poo (give her back her pilots license? lol). Within the span of 5 minutes Ripley's told that "We have a colony living down there and they never complained about any aliens." to "We lost contact with the colony, and we need you down there... well... you're the star of the film so you're going..." It's poorly done. The whole beginning of the film kinda blows until Ripley wakes up on the Sulaco.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is one of the dumbest parts of Aliens; there's no reason for the company to bring Ripley and the reasons for her going back are total poo poo (give her back her pilots license? lol). Within the span of 5 minutes Ripley's told that "We have a colony living down there and they never complained about any aliens." to "We lost contact with the colony, and we need you down there... well... you're the star of the film so you're going..." It's poorly done. The whole beginning of the film kinda blows until Ripley wakes up on the Sulaco.

I think the pilot's license thing works as kinda like a world building element where this future is very dystopian and having that license is crucial to being valued by the corporate overlords, which is the only way to make a decent living. Like in Starship Troopers how the only real way to get basic citizenship rights is to be in the military.

Burke's reasoning for wanting her to come along is a little tougher, but I guess the alien that destroyed the Nostromo is probably a company legend and he wants her there to identify it and confirm that it's the same thing so that he doesn't waste his time. She's the only living person who's actually seen one.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I mean it's not like Ripley thinks gun wont work on aliens or anything. The Nostromo crew were at a total disadvantage with not having any real weapons and the risk of a dead alien eating through the hull.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

My read on it is that Ripley was loving agitating about an alien and bringing her along gives Burke ample room to get rid of her after using her for her knowledge of the alien.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 30, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It always seemed clear to me that Ripley went back to confront her fears. Like she was explicitly having a ton of nightmares and Newts own experiences mirror her. Confronting the trauma was awful but the other choice was being broken.

Burke I assume wanted to get rid of the last witness. That is why he chose Newt and Ripley for hugging.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 30, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I do have to wonder what kind of story he'd come up with if all went to plan.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Owlbear Camus posted:

I do have to wonder what kind of story he'd come up with if all went to plan.

It's kinda unclear what exactly what his goal is, aside from of course profiting from the alien. Because he's an employee of the company, and yet he's looking for "proprietary rights" or whatever and obviously is implying that if he discovers it he'll be the one to profit from it. So I wonder if his plan was to get possession of the alien, tell the company to gently caress off, then maybe start his own company with the tech developed from the alien.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

His goal is just to just sell them directly to the company or use them to advance within. I doubt he planned on hijacking a ship, strapping the eggs in next to him and driving to the Tyrell corp

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 30, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Steegson gets the specimens and breeds their own,but add googly eyes so their handlers can be more comfortable with them. "You always know a Lurking Joe."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Burke is figuring that his next performance review is worth a raise of an order of magnitude or two, promotion several grades, and a significant chunk of equity if he brings back two viable specimens.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Owlbear Camus posted:

Steegson gets the specimens and breeds their own,but add googly eyes so their handlers can be more comfortable with them. "You always know a Lurking Joe."

The_Doctor posted:

Goon post! Thanks AFewBricksShy !

Makes them feel safer and more personable!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

s.i.r.e. posted:

They bring her because they have reason to suspect that whatever hosed up the colony is the same thing she was yelling about, and having someone who's seen these things in an advisory role makes sense.

As far as her motivations for going, the pilot's license is what Burke offers her, but she's going for the sake of closure moreso than that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One thing I think is important is the mention that Burke was the one responsible for sending the colonists to check out the ship in the first place. I think that probably put his rear end in the fire because "hey, you sent colonists to check a thing out and we just lost an entire terraforming colony for no gain" does not look good on your performance review. (Obviously the company cared about the profit, not the people.) So Burke was stuck in a position that he *had* to get something out of it or else he was probably going to be up poo poo creek and he assumed that an entire heavily armed squadron of marines was more than capable of handling things and that he could figure something out when the dust had settled.

Then everything went to hell and he spent the rest of his very short life trying to wrangle some kind of victory.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

As far as her motivations for going, the pilot's license is what Burke offers her, but she's going for the sake of closure moreso than that.

It's both really. She wasn't ever going to be a pilot again if she didn't both overcome her trauma and get the license, so this was an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. You get the feeling that she hadn't even tried to get the license back before this because she didn't feel comfortable going back into space again.

Edit: was she actually a pilot, wasn't she like the safety officer or something? Anyway she needed to be reinstated, whatever she was.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

She was a "flight officer." I assume some sort of merchant marine thing where the ICC has to liscence you to do it.

She should have just defected to the UPP and kept space trucking there.