Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Medullah posted:

I've got an unfinished basement with a concrete floor. I don't want to invest in finishing it, but I also wouldn't mind adding some level of comfort to it. Any recommendations for floor covering other than area rugs?

We put down carpet squares, which were cheaper than getting actual carpet, let us do the areas we wanted whenever we felt like it, and can be replaced really easily. They were a breeze to put in and look fine.

To the poster who had a continually clogged line, ours did something similar and we called out plumbers twice In two months, tho luckily it was our secondary line (so sink, washer, dishwasher). The second plumber said likely it was too small, and original to the house and so corroded and likely cracked. The cracks might be letting in sediment, which increases the likelihood of gunkups and clogs. Whenever we notice it backing up, or draining slow, we take a plunger to it. It might not be ideal, but it works until we can get a liner, or the pipe replaced entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Subjunctive posted:

My freestanding bathtub is not large enough for me to be comfortable in, and there’s room between it and the walls, so I’m looking to get a larger one. What should I keep in mind when choosing tubs and getting quotes? I don’t think I’m going to DIY it.

Bath Doom

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

I've got an unfinished basement with a concrete floor. I don't want to invest in finishing it, but I also wouldn't mind adding some level of comfort to it. Any recommendations for floor covering other than area rugs?

Rugs.com has served us well so far in our living room. They do need a thick pad though so make sure to buy it at the same time. I think we got an 8x12ish thing for $150 on sale.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Subjunctive posted:

My freestanding bathtub is not large enough for me to be comfortable in, and there’s room between it and the walls, so I’m looking to get a larger one. What should I keep in mind when choosing tubs and getting quotes? I don’t think I’m going to DIY it.

If you cut the floor beams out, you can sink a bigger bathtub into the hole.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MrYenko posted:

If you cut the floor beams out, you can sink a bigger bathtub into the hole.

And we all know who to go for to get that advice.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

It's mostly storage and half is home gym stuff, but I do have a TV and futon there for super hot days or if a friend spends the night.

Epoxy?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I just want to caution anyone and everyone to avoid purchasing an appliance from Home Depot. Their pricing and delivery timelines were great, but I have had to refuse two fridges now (with 12 day delays between each attempt) due to significant cosmetic and also functional damage to each one.

The delivery guys also tried to cancel the attempts because it would require removing the fridge doors to get inside, despite the very clear fine print that delivery included door removal if necessary.

They also refused to install it to my water line because it "doesn't look like the right size" despite being literally the right size.

Home Depot doesn't actually do the delivery, but the people they hire to do it are absolutely awful

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I just want to caution anyone and everyone to avoid purchasing an appliance from Home Depot. Their pricing and delivery timelines were great, but I have had to refuse two fridges now (with 12 day delays between each attempt) due to significant cosmetic and also functional damage to each one.

The delivery guys also tried to cancel the attempts because it would require removing the fridge doors to get inside, despite the very clear fine print that delivery included door removal if necessary.

They also refused to install it to my water line because it "doesn't look like the right size" despite being literally the right size.

Home Depot doesn't actually do the delivery, but the people they hire to do it are absolutely awful

Home Depot hires local contractors to do this so people's experience is going to vary wildly from one town to the next. My Home Depot fridge delivery was flawless.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My experience with Home Depot contractors is also horrible. Never again.

My parents had Lowes contractors install their hardwood floor, and halfway through installation my parents realized they were installing the wrong floor. They tried to argue it of course but ultimately had to do it again.

They also had contractors from one of the stores install their granite countertops and after 5 attempts of them cracking or chipping the counters during install my mom just said gently caress it and has a countertop with a crack in it.

Tldr; all big box contractors are horrible.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I've had a very bad experience with Lowes for appliance home delivery. I switched to a mom & pop appliance store. Their delivery guys were much better to work with.

Home Depot I've had good experience for drywall delivery but never had an appliance through them. I used a Home Depot contractor for a 18 sq ft quartz counter install, no complaints.

Edit: Lowes uses XPS for delivery which is already a shady company, so that is probably why they sucked so much

Sepist fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 20, 2019

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My appliance delivery experiences have been great with Lowes and Home Depot, fwiw. With the last purchase, Lowes delivered our washer/dryer, noticed the dryer was dented, and immediately ordered a replacement and left the (functional) dryer here and installed until the replacement came, at which point they came and swapped it out. The guys doing the delivery/install were actual Lowes employees in a big Lowes truck though.

Home Depot has been on my poo poo list after replacing a single window through their installer services. The installer we had was great, but the sales guy... long story short, after 3 windows and 5 months we finally had the window I ordered, which is why I've refused to buy anything at Home Depot ever since.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Question on screened in porches/decks.

We have a deck on our 20 year old house. It's original, and south facing, and it sure looks like it's never had any paint other than when it was first built. In other words, it's an absolute wreck.

We're going to rip it out and replace it with a slightly larger screened in porch + a side deck for grilling.

We've found a few companies that can do this, but here's the kicker:

We want electrical run (outlets/fan/lights), and there's a bunch of landscaping that will have to be ripped up (and then blocked over with weedblock/gravel/whatever). That's probably easy enough, but also it's on a slope and we think it's tall enough to build an enclosed shed underneath (also with lights/outlets, possibly with concrete slab floor), so we'd love to do that as well if it's not extraordinarily expensive. If we did the shed we'd probably need some grading done and a small retaining wall built due to the slope.

So with all those other wants/needs, would we be better off getting a general contractor? Or would a typical deck/porch company be able to wrangle this project themselves?

Also where would the line be drawn? I'm sure a deck/porch company can do some parts of it, but I'm not sure where they might avoid. I guess they'd likely sub some portions out, but I dunno if that's typical or if I'd be asking them to do something weird which means they'll probably screw it up.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 23, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DaveSauce posted:

Question on screened in porches/decks.

We have a deck on our 20 year old house. It's original, and south facing, and it sure looks like it's never had any paint other than when it was first built. In other words, it's an absolute wreck.

We're going to rip it out and replace it with a slightly larger screened in porch + a side deck for grilling.

We've found a few companies that can do this, but here's the kicker:

We want electrical run (outlets/fan/lights), and there's a bunch of landscaping that will have to be ripped up (and then blocked over with weedblock/gravel/whatever). That's probably easy enough, but also it's on a slope and we think it's tall enough to build an enclosed shed underneath (also with lights/outlets, possibly with concrete slab floor), so we'd love to do that as well if it's not extraordinarily expensive. If we did the shed we'd probably need some grading done and a small retaining wall built due to the slope.

So with all those other wants/needs, would we be better off getting a general contractor? Or would a typical deck/porch company be able to wrangle this project themselves?

Also where would the line be drawn? I'm sure a deck/porch company can do some parts of it, but I'm not sure where they might avoid. I guess they'd likely sub some portions out, but I dunno if that's typical or if I'd be asking them to do something weird which means they'll probably screw it up.

There are lots of landscaping companies that do all the work. They sell full transformations that include decks/gazebos/patios, outdoor kitchens, along with the landscaping itself.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Jealous Cow posted:

There are lots of landscaping companies that do all the work. They sell full transformations that include decks/gazebos/patios, outdoor kitchens, along with the landscaping itself.

Interesting, I wouldn't think to look at landscaping companies when doing a deck/porch.

Would this be the best route to go? We don't have experience with landscapers outside of basic shrub/tree maintenance. I know plenty do hardscaping sort of stuff, but I didn't know they went beyond that.

That said, we're getting a paid consult in a couple weeks from a local garden center to make a plan to rip/replace all the garbage contractor-grade shrubs on the property. Maybe we can ask them about it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Tldr; all big box contractors are horrible.

If you were a quality contractor you wouldn't need odd jobs sourced from a big box store as you'd already be busy enough to be refusing jobs you get on word of mouth alone, so yeah.....totally agreed.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

If you were a quality contractor you wouldn't need odd jobs sourced from a big box store as you'd already be busy enough to be refusing jobs you get on word of mouth alone, so yeah.....totally agreed.

The best services I've had come to my home have uniformly been those where 1) they were attached directly to a local company I knew and trusted, 2) I approached neighbors who had excellent work done and asked who they used or 3) have had a friend I know personally do the work.

Everyone else has been - at best - adequate.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Well gently caress me

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

couldcareless posted:

Well gently caress me

That's due to the tax changes last year. Same thing happened to me.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Medullah posted:

That's due to the tax changes last year. Same thing happened to me.

I don’t understand this. They capped SALT. What else changed that could drive up assessments?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yah same, my county does bi yearly assessments, I just bought my place last year and shocker, it's going up since it hasn't changed hands in 40 years and now they have a better judge of the real value. Federal tax changes shouldn't effect local taxes, honestly if anything the SALT deduction change would put pressure on local government (voters) to hold or lower (lol) taxes. I'm more inclined to pay local tax than federal knowing that it stays in my community especially if the overall bill stays the same.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

I don’t want to be a grover or cut into Ibeams guy, so I wanna run this idea by people. We bought a house that has an original driveway that’s sunk like 4 inches over the past 50 years. On that side of the house, it hasn’t cause any particular issues save for one area, which has led to some seeping into the basement.

The downspout is typically attached and leading into the bed across the driveway. Even so, heavy rains tend to puddle there. I’ve patched up both the interior (with hydraulic cement) and exterior (with poly self leveling sealant) where possible, which has reduced but not eliminated the problem. This is also in a climate which would make any patching solution temporary. Mud jacking is not an option because it’s so cracked, and replacing the entire driveway would be really expensive, and we’ve got quotes coming in at like 7 to 10k, which seems insane.

My idea would be to rip up the two slabs at the rear of the house, and replace them with sod, pavers or something.

I don’t know a ton about drainage, but it’s my understanding that you can grade it such that it would flow away from the house. I also don’t know a ton about cement removal, but looking at DIY things seems to suggest we might be able to get away with a heavy sledge, a trailer or dumpster and a shitload of elbowgrease.

We can fit three cars in the driveway even with these two slabs gone. It would be pretty cool to have a patio or pergola type thing there, but I’d settle for just not having water in the basement and it not looking like trash.

Is this dumb?

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 27, 2019

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

meanolmrcloud posted:

I don’t want to be a grover or cut into Ibeams guy, so I wanna run this idea by people. We bought a house that has an original driveway that’s sunk like 4 inches over the past 50 years. On that side of the house, it hasn’t cause any particular issues save for one area, which has led to some seeping into the basement.

The downspout is typically attached and leading into the bed across the driveway. Even so, heavy rains tend to puddle there. I’ve patched up both the interior (with hydraulic cement) and exterior (with poly self leveling sealant) where possible, which has reduced but not eliminated the problem. This is also in a climate which would make any patching solution temporary. Mud jacking is not an option because it’s so cracked, and replacing the entire driveway would be really expensive, and we’ve got quotes coming in at like 7 to 10k, which seems insane.

My idea would be to rip up the two slabs at the rear of the house, and replace them with sod, pavers or something.

I don’t know a ton about drainage, but it’s my understanding that you can grade it such that it would flow away from the house. I also don’t know a ton about cement removal, but looking at DIY things seems to suggest we might be able to get away with a heavy sledge, a trailer or dumpster and a shitload of elbowgrease.

We can fit three cars in the driveway even with these two slabs gone. It would be pretty cool to have a patio or pergola type thing there, but I’d settle for just not having water in the basement and it not looking like trash.

Is this dumb?

You can grade it but that drain means a *lot* of water ending up there. If it were me, when you break up the concrete to put in pavers or sod, I'd run the drain down to a PVC slowing away from the house a few feet to some location you'd be comfortable putting in a small dry well.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
On solar power; Ikea is starting to sell kits in Sweden "after the summer", cooperating with one of our big solar installation companies. If this is successful they might do the same over in the US which will depress the cost. Worth keeping an eye out.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I replaced my bathroom sink faucet and figured I'd put a new trap since the previous owners used one of those flexible traps.

If course I forgot that bathroom sinks are 1-1/4, and the PVC to connect to was 1- 1/2, so I went to Ace for a new one, and an extension since the wall rough is very low.

Oh and also, the wall rough is far enough away from the sink drop that I couldn't connect it anyway. I need to put a bend in the PVC pipe so it lands closer. I guess the original sink wasn't centered in the area like this new one is.

Also I got light headed from using oil based Kilz in a poorly ventilated space, knocked a couple of trim prices loose moving the vanity, and got a drop of that same primer on a dry clean only skirt of my wife's in the closet.

Pretty great overall.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Had my Samsung gas dryer refuse to spin today, learned how to take it apart and found a half melted idler pulley. Incredible that it would go 3-4 years into the life of the dryer after only having ancient Kenmores going on 20+ years before. At least it’s something fixable, my first thought was ‘poo poo new dryer time’. Of course no one locally stocks em so to Amazon I go.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My wifes grandparents have a kenmore gas dryer that turned 50 this year. Manufactured Jan 1969. Still does 1-2 loads a day

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

meanolmrcloud posted:

Is this dumb?

I don't know about the drainage but you can easily bust up concrete with a sledge into however small you want it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

howdoesishotweb posted:

Had my Samsung gas dryer refuse to spin today, learned how to take it apart and found a half melted idler pulley. Incredible that it would go 3-4 years into the life of the dryer after only having ancient Kenmores going on 20+ years before. At least it’s something fixable, my first thought was ‘poo poo new dryer time’. Of course no one locally stocks em so to Amazon I go.

samsung appliances are poo poo in terms of reliability.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

skipdogg posted:

My wifes grandparents have a kenmore gas dryer that turned 50 this year. Manufactured Jan 1969. Still does 1-2 loads a day

Nice

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
I conveyed my previous washer/dryer set (Samsung units about 5~ years old) and got stuck with what the sellers left behind at the new place, a Whirlpool sub-brand gas dryer and an ancient kenmore washing machine with an agitator. They both work excellent, with the exception of the washing having an issue draining fully once or twice due to the size of the load I crammed in.

The one thing I miss 100% and the only thing that makes we want to replace them is the steam option on my old dryer. It was amazing never having to iron clothes. Throw the wrinkliest linen in there and it would come out flat in 15 minutes.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You can sorta simulate the steam by tossing an ice cube into the dryer with the item to release the wrinkles from. I've been doing that since college and it works pretty well

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

meanolmrcloud posted:

I don’t want to be a grover or cut into Ibeams guy, so I wanna run this idea by people...

It's tough to say without knowing the rest of the layout of the house, and your water table, but that looks like a good situation where a rain barrel or downspout planter, combined with a dry well or other infiltration feature for overflows.

Any idea what your soil is like or if you have a high water table?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

LogisticEarth posted:

It's tough to say without knowing the rest of the layout of the house, and your water table, but that looks like a good situation where a rain barrel or downspout planter, combined with a dry well or other infiltration feature for overflows.

Any idea what your soil is like or if you have a high water table?

No idea about the soil or water level, but thanks for the rain barrel and planter suggestion. I’ll have to look more into dry wells too, though the only area that has a natural slope is towards the rest of the driveway, with the neighbor directly on the other side.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ntan1 posted:

samsung appliances are poo poo in terms of reliability.

I generally agree with this, even though I bought a pair of the Samsung Flex machines. I've got 7 years of total warranty coverage on them though, so hoping nothing major happens, but I fully expect it to.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My front loader washer has So Much Mold in the gasket, holy crap. Soaking it in vinegar and doing a hot cycle with vinegar didn't do a drat thing

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My front loader washer has So Much Mold in the gasket, holy crap. Soaking it in vinegar and doing a hot cycle with vinegar didn't do a drat thing

The washing machine cleaner packets do a pretty good job of clearing it up. Won't get rid of it all, but they make a huge difference.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

meanolmrcloud posted:

No idea about the soil or water level, but thanks for the rain barrel and planter suggestion. I’ll have to look more into dry wells too, though the only area that has a natural slope is towards the rest of the driveway, with the neighbor directly on the other side.

The whole point of a dry well is that you can trench a pipe with its own pitch towards a sub-grade dry well, and it'll infiltrate from there. So the surface slope isn't that important. If you have a high water table though, infiltration doesn't work so well as there is nowhere to perc to.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I stopped buying front load washers. The last one had some kind of special self-cleaning gasket and I did a super hot load with bleach at lest once a week AND I left the door open between loads and it still gross, along with the detergent tray.

I’ve got a Maytag too loader without an agitator now and it stays clean, but I don’t think it gets clothes as clean and it takes for loving ever.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Leave the door open after you finish a load. Also a lot of them have a magnet to catch the door and leave it slightly cracked which helps when you're not using it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
Rubbed a bunch of Vaseline on the gasket for my freezer and it's actually staying closed again instead of popping open slightly every time the fridge door closes giving everything a nice coat of frost. Should not have gotten a side-by-side in the first place but at least it's functional again.