Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ten year old me was happy as can be running around Kokiri Forest just taking in the ambiance and exploring the area and learning the ropes because it was the first game of its kind I ever played

However year old me playing twilight princess was miserable because holy poo poo I get it I’ve done this before and I know fishing and hawking will never ever come up again just get on with it, but I know that if I had been 10 and this was my first Zelda game I would’ve been happy as hell playing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Twilight Princess really deserves to be raked over the coals for a lot of things.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I still maintain that Twilight Princess would be a great game if it had a shorter tutorial part. I liked almost everything after the first hour or two. Arbiter's Grounds and Snowpeak are S tier dungeons

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel it constantly did a lot of good build up which didn't amount to much. The endgame being the biggest offender by far (I guess BOTW also has the last part).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Calaveron posted:

However year old me playing twilight princess was miserable because holy poo poo I get it I’ve done this before and I know fishing and hawking will never ever come up again just get on with it, but I know that if I had been 10 and this was my first Zelda game I would’ve been happy as hell playing it

Yeah that’s the other thing, TP’s intro is just way too long. On repeat plays of OOT you can be at the Deku Tree within, what, 10 minutes? That’s not bad. And the Deku Tree is a pretty good dungeon, it’s not like rescuing Zelda at the start of LTTP, it’s fully featured with a cool boss at the end.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nostradingus posted:

I still maintain that Twilight Princess would be a great game if it had a shorter tutorial part. I liked almost everything after the first hour or two. Arbiter's Grounds and Snowpeak are S tier dungeons

Top-notch soundtrack, just a great bunch of dungeons that really capture the right big & impressive feel of the 3D series, and a sidekick that is actually worthwhile. I actually love the game overall, shame about the intro and the handful of padding quests they force on you through the mid- and endgame.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Motherfucking cheating, comebacking, rubber banding AI in just about ANY sports game.

Just about any sports game you play against the CPU will hit a point where the AI just says "nope. gently caress you" and the entire opposing team turns in to turbo mode world beaters no matter who they are or how low their ratings. It's almost always blatant and utterly laughable when it happens. You can usually feel when the switch gets flipped and it's never done realistically where the CPU starts trying different things or changing up strategy. They just get faster and stronger of a sudden and catch every break imaginable until they close the score then go back to sucking.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

Motherfucking cheating, comebacking, rubber banding AI in just about ANY sports game.

Just about any sports game you play against the CPU will hit a point where the AI just says "nope. gently caress you" and the entire opposing team turns in to turbo mode world beaters no matter who they are or how low their ratings. It's almost always blatant and utterly laughable when it happens. You can usually feel when the switch gets flipped and it's never done realistically where the CPU starts trying different things or changing up strategy. They just get faster and stronger of a sudden and catch every break imaginable until they close the score then go back to sucking.

Yeah. I don't mind the AI cheating a bit in goofy Kart-racing games where you can counter the rubber-banding by using your items well, but in a real-rear end sports game where both teams are supposed to be playing with the same ruleset it's aggravating.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Valkyria Chronicles 4 - This is a sort of sub-annoyance with the general problem of all the cutscene "episodes" in between battles.

I learned this starting from chapter 2 I think, but I still find it aggravating that I start a new chapter, immediately go to check for new equipment upgrades at the R&D tent, and find nothing. So I go through a whole bunch of these cutscenes, finally come up to a new battle, then remember "oh right" and go back to the R&D camp because for some reason only now do I get to upgrade my stuff.

Why not just unlock new upgrades from the start of the chapter? And what's more, why don't I get notified when there's new equipment to research when as far as I can tell I get notified on pretty much everything else as it unlocks?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Twilight Princess also had the obligatory mid 2000s dreary/brown aesthetic that sort of worked? But also felt like a knee-jerk reaction to Wind Waker's bright, saturated style.

Midna was, unexpectedly, one of the least annoying companions in the series imo, though maybe I'm looking back with rose tinted glasses after the nightmare that was Fi.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Minds has a personality at least.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Riatsala posted:

Twilight Princess also had the obligatory mid 2000s dreary/brown aesthetic that sort of worked? But also felt like a knee-jerk reaction to Wind Waker's bright, saturated style.

Midna was, unexpectedly, one of the least annoying companions in the series imo, though maybe I'm looking back with rose tinted glasses after the nightmare that was Fi.

Midna owned because she wasn't helping you do a thing, you were helping her. The whole collecting mask pieces thing was entirely her plan. She was less a navi analog and closer to the demon from Shadow Warrior. Similarly to that game, all Link is is Midna's Sword in the early game. Also she had a vested interest in keeping the world in shadow, even admitting to preferring it that way, and STILL helped you fix it to her own personal cost.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Ten year old me was happy as can be running around Kokiri Forest just taking in the ambiance and exploring the area and learning the ropes because it was the first game of its kind I ever played

I used to house share with a guy that played video games but had never played a Zelda before. He asked if he could try out Twilight Princess so I let him borrow the GC while I was going out. I got back and he tells me the game is poo poo as all you do is pick up a chicken and run around with it. He showed me where he had been running around with a chicken and jumping on and off things. To this day I have no idea how he managed to convince himself of this, I mean he smoked a lot of weed but still :psyduck:

Convex has a new favorite as of 23:34 on Jul 28, 2019

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Prey: Mooncrash

moon shark turned this whole thing from a 10/10 to a 0/10, i can't believe they made an enemy that's not fun to fight OR maneuver around

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Riatsala posted:

I think Twilight Princess' 'standard' colors being fairly desaturated works largely because they break from that as much as they possibly can. The Twilight sections play with some really bold oranges, blues and reds, and a lot of the dungeons use some really bright colors. Combine that with the fact that Twilight Princess' Hyrule is by design kind of a lovely sad place to live anyway, and it all feels a lot more deliberate than just 'Brown Means Real'.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
wth is a moon shark? everything i know about Prey i've learned from thread or the other one

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dash Rendar posted:

wth is a moon shark? everything i know about Prey i've learned from thread or the other one

its a giant typhon that hides in the sands and detects movement on the ground, and as it is an absolute unit you can infer that you don't want to be within slapping range of it, except it also has telepathy so it will pick up moon rocks and throw them at you with the force of a hundred nuclear missiles. getting hit by these will cause you to bleed, so running/climbing/jumping makes you take damage, fun! picking up the propulsion jets as the psychic guy, it did not equip (I probably don't have suit slots on this guy?) so i do not get to jet around and decrease my chances of getting sharked. you can not manually go back to the simulation room until you either die or safely secure your character with an escape method like a shuttle or "mimic portal", whatever the hell that means. the kinetic blast does good damage but it is very tedious to hide behind a wall indoors and blast some alien horror for five minutes straight.

also PYF Dragging this game down thread: wth is a moon shark?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Riatsala posted:

Midna being a character instead of a baseball sized ball of light also helped.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

spit on my clit posted:

its a giant typhon that hides in the sands and detects movement on the ground, and as it is an absolute unit you can infer that you don't want to be within slapping range of it, except it also has telepathy so it will pick up moon rocks and throw them at you with the force of a hundred nuclear missiles. getting hit by these will cause you to bleed, so running/climbing/jumping makes you take damage, fun! picking up the propulsion jets as the psychic guy, it did not equip (I probably don't have suit slots on this guy?) so i do not get to jet around and decrease my chances of getting sharked. you can not manually go back to the simulation room until you either die or safely secure your character with an escape method like a shuttle or "mimic portal", whatever the hell that means. the kinetic blast does good damage but it is very tedious to hide behind a wall indoors and blast some alien horror for five minutes straight.

also PYF Dragging this game down thread: wth is a moon shark?

I never fought that thing, simply ran and jumped as far and as high as I could to get to the next objective.

Anyway, I'm playing Symphony of the Night for the first time, and I'll be damned if this game doesn't have the absolute worst case of 'where the hell do I go now' that I have ever seen in a Metroidvania title.

Might not be so bad if getting around the castle wasn't a chore.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I think Twilight Princess' 'standard' colors being fairly desaturated works largely because they break from that as much as they possibly can. The Twilight sections play with some really bold oranges, blues and reds, and a lot of the dungeons use some really bright colors. Combine that with the fact that Twilight Princess' Hyrule is by design kind of a lovely sad place to live anyway, and it all feels a lot more deliberate than just 'Brown Means Real'.
thinking about it, there hasn't been a single remotely pleasant 3D Hyrule since OoT. WW and TP are both literally uninhabitable, SS it's a demon infested wildland that was so lovely Skyloft seemed like an improvement, and BotW it's post apocalyptic (albeit life went on and it's not too bad overall).

I know they tried to move on from it forever with WW but that was never going to stick was it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ulex minor posted:

games with long cut scenes would be 1000% improved if they had a toggle for playback speed so you could watch them at 1.25x or 1.5x or 2x speed when they're not there to cover a loading screen or something

Quantum Break has this, sort of. The inbetween-level tv show episodes are streamed to you, not downloaded to your pc (for copyright reasons), so they're essentially treated like a half hour youtube video complete with a little player interface that lets you scan/rewind/etc. Of course you could also just skip them entirely on a replay game so it's not quite the same thing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dash Rendar posted:

What makes them extra difficult is that their skin is so very smooth that all weaponry simply slides off of them

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Why do moon sharks explode?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
They're made of Redbarrelium

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

thinking about it, there hasn't been a single remotely pleasant 3D Hyrule since OoT. WW and TP are both literally uninhabitable, SS it's a demon infested wildland that was so lovely Skyloft seemed like an improvement, and BotW it's post apocalyptic (albeit life went on and it's not too bad overall).

I know they tried to move on from it forever with WW but that was never going to stick was it

Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild's worlds are pretty pleasant places to hang out. And even OOT had roving gangs of skeletons if you leave town at night.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I wouldn't call TP's Hyrule 'uninhabitable' so much as 'apparently kind of a dust bowl'. There's not a whole lot of settlements, but it also doesn't look like there's a whole lot of good land to settle in or farm. You've got Lake Hylia and the Faron Woods, sure, but those are kinda the only lush areas (and aren't exactly easily habitable), Hyrule Field itself feels it just doesn't have a huge amount of life. If I were to get really dorky about this, I'd say that since Twilight Princess takes place around the same time as Wind Waker in a different timeline, maybe the TP Hyrule's facing a drought that didn't come for WW Hyrule because of that whole 'the gods caused a great flood' thing.

...every time I talk about Twilight Princess I feel like playing it, and I'll give credit that it's the only Zelda game that gets me like that. Maybe because it's one of the only ones I don't feel like I gave a fair shot at the time, and my disc for it failed so I only got one playthrough out of it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

oldpainless posted:

What makes them extra difficult is that their skin is so very smooth that all weaponry simply slides off of them

i appreciate the game's realism and attention to detail

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The moon-shark is a complete non-entity if you jump over it.

Getting all five crew-members out in the one run is the most taxing task, but not that hard. You have a dedicated item-caddy and you can freely buy timepieces to stop the corruption from going higher than 1.

The real fault of Mooncrash is the exorbitant amount of grinding needed to max every skill, which is rendered impossible if beat the game too early because then your save-file is locked.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Majoras Mask?

I mean besides the moon falling.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Majoras Mask?

I mean besides the moon falling.
Not Hyrule!!!

I dunno it just strikes me as kind of amusing that the developers always really seem to hate the specific land of Hyrule. Just let Ganon have it imo, the place sucks (yes this was the WW ending I know)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inspector Gesicht posted:

because then your save-file is locked.

what, and why

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Once you escape with every character in a single run, you are locked into a sort of epilogue as the character in the space ship, unable to return to VR for reasons. Every time you reload your save, you're brought back to the beginning of this epilogue. It sucks real bad for those not expecting it.

As for why, gently caress knows.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh hey moonsharks can spawn inside the sand place of course they loving can, im done. hey, every big dev team in this day and age, stop following up your amazing games with the absolute worst garbage. stop making neat concepts and then listening to the one rear end in a top hat in the back of the room who says "but what if we hosed that all up"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The game will autosave when you are out of the simulation after triggering the ending, and you will be unable to enter the simulation again because of the story events currently happening. It's a ~roguelike~ that only gives you one save file, so you have to start a new game, or copy over a backup of an earlier save, if you want to keep playing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mooncrash fuckin owns. I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble with the Moonshark because it is blind and relies on sound, so if you just don't walk on the sand it will never pop up to fight you.

edit: You should be making as much use as you can of the glide, including the double-tap to boost forward a little bit. Always ALWAYS start with the Artax Booster on your characters once you unlock the blueprint, otherwise make it a priority to go and find one when you start a new round. Never ever touch the ground in areas where the Moonshark is hanging out and it will make a lot of noise but generally not pop out unless it's right on top of you. If the Moonshark DOES notice you, just... yknow, run away from it. You're on a time limit what with the corruption meter etc, but it's not that strict that you can't play Mooncrash like it's Prey every now and then.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Jul 29, 2019

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - This is a sort of sub-annoyance with the general problem of all the cutscene "episodes" in between battles.

I learned this starting from chapter 2 I think, but I still find it aggravating that I start a new chapter, immediately go to check for new equipment upgrades at the R&D tent, and find nothing. So I go through a whole bunch of these cutscenes, finally come up to a new battle, then remember "oh right" and go back to the R&D camp because for some reason only now do I get to upgrade my stuff.

Why not just unlock new upgrades from the start of the chapter? And what's more, why don't I get notified when there's new equipment to research when as far as I can tell I get notified on pretty much everything else as it unlocks?

This has been an issue since the first game. Also having to manually choose to watch 3 or 4 cutscenes in a row instead of just autoplaying them in series until you get to the next combat mission.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It seems to be silly easy to over level in Three Houses. I've done optional battles maybe twice outside of side quests just to get away from exploring every week. The missions I'm at right now require level 13. My main character just hit 20. My lowest level student is 15, the rest are around 17-18. The level cap is 40.

I'm deeply regretting restoring any of the statues cause they give xp buffs, I'm keeping my students far away from the professor so they don't get the 20% xp boost, I'm using guest NPCs to kill enemies just so my characters wont get xp. Its like I'm playing FF8 and I broke the game on disc 1, except I didn't go out to do it intentionally.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

FF8 definitely deserves flack for its batshit story, and the junction system is too in-depth and easily-broken, but I'll take anything over FF7's grindy and dull materia system.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

FF8 definitely deserves flack for its batshit story, and the junction system is too in-depth and easily-broken, but I'll take anything over FF7's grindy and dull materia system.

Lol what. A bunch of customization options in your materia, or draw-for-an-hour gameplay to raise your stats because the game is busted and bad.

I played through ff7 without doing any grinding, and it was miiiiiles better than what ff8 asked of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Leal posted:

It seems to be silly easy to over level in Three Houses. I've done optional battles maybe twice outside of side quests just to get away from exploring every week. The missions I'm at right now require level 13. My main character just hit 20. My lowest level student is 15, the rest are around 17-18. The level cap is 40.

I'm deeply regretting restoring any of the statues cause they give xp buffs, I'm keeping my students far away from the professor so they don't get the 20% xp boost, I'm using guest NPCs to kill enemies just so my characters wont get xp. Its like I'm playing FF8 and I broke the game on disc 1, except I didn't go out to do it intentionally.

this'll balance out if you keep playing, exp gains get cut down a lot if there's a big gap in your level and the enemy's so you won't be gaining a lot of levels just playing normally until the enemies' levels start to catch up with yours