Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why i'm leaving the Athletic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
There will always be a place in the Chicago Cubs organization for Jonah Keri.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

:laffo:

Man gently caress my favorite baseball team.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Consider joining excellent poster Pancakes and Barack Obama in supporting the lovable Chicago white socks, friend.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

not if Barstool has any say in the matter

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Consider joining excellent poster Pancakes and Barack Obama in supporting the lovable Chicago white socks, friend.

all are welcome here

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

AsInHowe posted:

Potentially lots of Me Too stuff in there too.

According to?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Andrew Bucholtz managed to gently caress up the spelling of Manny Pacquiao's name like 8 times in one article. It's kind of impressive.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

The real appeal has always been the fan submissions. He can't genuinely muster enough hate for like, the AFC South.

Is it 32-ish business days to FOOTBAW? Hell yes it is!

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2019-arizona-cardinals-1836556422

That poor confused Irishman, the fan submissions are always good for a sensible chuckle. Also Pottsville Maroons forever!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ah, Deadspin, where being a "good" poo poo-talker excuses the fact that you're doped to the gills

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Every sport except combat sports (and even that has a caveat) should be juiced to the gills.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Every sport except combat sports (and even that has a caveat) should be juiced to the gills.

This is so dumb

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

iwentdoodie posted:

we get it, you like Barry Bonds.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dutchy posted:

This is so dumb

Agreed let jon Jones juice too

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Metapod posted:

good news!

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Metapod posted:

No!!! Nobody juice!!!

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

https://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2019-oakland-raiders-1836667319

Fully, entirely aware that everyone here likely reads every one of these anyway but the best ones are the ones that require no jokes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

mactheknife posted:

Fully, entirely aware that everyone here likely reads every one of these anyway but the best ones are the ones that require no jokes

They should make for a stellar season of Hard Knocks

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

mactheknife posted:

I was wondering when Jon Gruden would become a giant red blob in their articles, and now I have my answer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just saw that Nick Martin, formerly of Deadspin and currently of Splinter, is leaving for a new gig.

In the usual GMG roast post, there was a comment from Billy Haisley.

He's Deadspin's news editor now.

God help us all.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

also this was just posted

https://twitter.com/gmgunion/status/1154857101325475844

(click on the link for said survey)

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 26, 2019

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Timby posted:

I just saw that Nick Martin, formerly of Deadspin and currently of Splinter, is leaving for a new gig.

In the usual GMG roast post, there was a comment from Billy Haisley.

He's Deadspin's news editor now.

God help us all.

if it means he doesn't write any loving articles then i'm all for it as much as it's a pretty clear signifier of that site's continuing downfall

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

deadspin is good

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Deadspin, Jalopnik, Kotaku, and Gizmodo are all pretty great in terms of free content on the internet. I even click through some Kinja deals once in a while to support the sites.

I’d pay $5 a month or whatever just to get them off kinja though and if it meant some more stability and support for the sites.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Considering how may times per day I reflexively click on any number of GMG sites, they have definitely earned a subscription from me

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
yeah i was really upset when i thought they were gonna close, deadspin in particular tends to have some of the most required reading of any site period coming out imo

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

when I said the site was going down in quality I basically just meant it's not as funny anymore

I'd sub too, tbh

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean maybe you are more interested in who ESPN personalities are loving than I am idk

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Athletic has 500k subs:

https://twitter.com/Travonne/status/1155883505454157824?s=20

e: it probably doesn't mean 500k concurrent subs as of this moment because marketing, but gently caress it

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kibner posted:

The Athletic has 500k subs:

https://twitter.com/Travonne/status/1155883505454157824?s=20

e: it probably doesn't mean 500k concurrent subs as of this moment because marketing, but gently caress it

They're going to need growth to accelerate a lot more quickly than that if the financial model is to be in any way solvent.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Why?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

It's really good for the most part?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Timby posted:

They're going to need growth to accelerate a lot more quickly than that if the financial model is to be in any way solvent.

No they don't, acceleration and forced growth is why all this poo poo is failing. Because the hedge funds that own all the papers are just seeking more profits and shuttering them when they don't meet expectations and absurd growth.

I hope they continue to be allowed to grow. Because there's a ton of cool writers on there.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dexo posted:

No they don't, acceleration and forced growth is why all this poo poo is failing. Because the hedge funds that own all the papers are just seeking more profits and shuttering them when they don't meet expectations and absurd growth.

I hope they continue to be allowed to grow. Because there's a ton of cool writers on there.

Even with 500,000 subs they're still probably burning through cash, so they need to be profitable at some point

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

Even with 500,000 subs they're still probably burning through cash, so they need to be profitable at some point

500k subs * $64 (how much the average yearly sub brings in in revenue) = 32M a year. The article also said they expect to reach 1M subs by the end of this calendar year. That should just about make it profitable, I figure.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I’ve not seen a single person say they pay more than 40 bucks for the athletic and the moment people have to pay more instead of their intro price, folks will stop. They’ll need to constantly get new people subscribing or people will need to pay more. It’s like all the other businesses that keep prices low to get a customer base but then can’t jack up prices to actually be profitable

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

uggy posted:

I’ve not seen a single person say they pay more than 40 bucks for the athletic and the moment people have to pay more instead of their intro price, folks will stop. They’ll need to constantly get new people subscribing or people will need to pay more. It’s like all the other businesses that keep prices low to get a customer base but then can’t jack up prices to actually be profitable

Uh they said their average annual payment per user is $64 a year, but yeah let's go with anecdotes

quote:

The Athletic, based in San Francisco, is an ad-free, online-only network for local sports coverage. Subscriptions cost $10 a month or $60 a year, though many customers have signed up at lower promotional rates. The site’s average annual revenue per subscriber is roughly $64, Mather said.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Lots of people are on month-to-month too at the higher per month rate.

I think I'll give them another shot this year when NBA starts ramping up. I tried two seasons ago and I thought it was good but wasn't quite what I was looking for.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
even if their ARPU is fairly low it still bizarrely will almost look better for investors since it will be easy to show somewhat stable growth. they will raise prices or not offer as many deals next year to bump it up a few dollars, then more the next year, etc.

they'll probably have good retention rates since people have short term memories and the investors are probably on board with that growth plan.

not that it might be as great for us in 5 years when we're paying 10-15/month but they give a lot of freedom/pay to a lot of really good writers and their interface is clean, so the price point before i cancel would be pretty high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lockback posted:

Lots of people are on month-to-month too at the higher per month rate.

I think I'll give them another shot this year when NBA starts ramping up. I tried two seasons ago and I thought it was good but wasn't quite what I was looking for.

It's much better now. Individual team coverages, much better national writers. It's seriously great. I get why people don't want to subscribe but if the money isn't an issue it's totally worth it.