Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

If only there was a way that we could have somebody do the talking for Ricochet while he does the wrestling. Some kind of supervisor, if you will :thunkher:

Hot take, they should've kept Titus Worldwide together and put Ricochet in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Space Emperor-Pope Vampiro should also appear in the background of any Konnan/Ricochet segments. Not because WWE has hired him or anything, he's just astral projecting in or something.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Make Ricochet the new Max Moon and split the difference

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The only person NXT is designed to get and keep over is HHH as future creative leader.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
As a fan watching at home with no financial investment in the company I could not care less how much money the NXT brand generates. As long as they put on solid matches with somewhat decent story lines that's all I care about. Besides, nothing can prepare someone for the main roster as long as it's run by a crazy old man.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

NXT should be its own company, in that WWE should be broken up by a functioning antitrust apparatus which we sadly don't have in this country.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

JT Smiley posted:

I'll never understand when people complain that NXT isn't a true developmental anymore. Like would they rather watch green as grass PC trainees stumble their way through a match?

One of the best bits of all of the Japanese companies I follow is seeing people progress from being (usually) very green rookies to big stars and so yes; it would be better if they actually tried to do that rather than signing any independent wrestler with a pulse. One of my favourite matches of this year was in Marvelous where they put their three rookies against three of the biggest Joshi stars and you had the crowd biting on the rookies pinning one of the stars with a sunset flip or a rollup or a bodyslam and it was great. Its one of these real sports things; seeing young wrestlers develop and trying to work out who the next big star is; seeing promising people sadly flame out while someone you dismissed goes on to because big: its fantastic.

The main difference though is that the WWE system generally doesn't seem to work in its stated goal of producing new wrestlers and they've produced, what, one person in the last couple of years who they actually give a developmental push to who's legitimately good? Meanwhile the above promotions that I'm talking about have a steady flow of trainees and are good at putting their characters over and making people interested and invested in them despite the fact that they aren't necessarily finished products yet. Especially now considering the sheer amount of incredibly talented rookies there are in Japan now with so many of them debuting and instantly being very very good with maybe a few rough edges to iron out. So while the idea of a show that is sold as "here are our young and upcoming stars of the future learning!" is a good one that has been done well before; it wouldn't really work there.

And frankly two performance centre geeks having a match would be infinitely more interesting than Johnny Gargano doing... anything; especially if Adam Cole is involved.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I know you're joking, but Konnan doing promos for him would be great.
hell yeah it would

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

One of the best bits of all of the Japanese companies I follow is seeing people progress from being (usually) very green rookies to big stars and so yes; it would be better if they actually tried to do that rather than signing any independent wrestler with a pulse. One of my favourite matches of this year was in Marvelous where they put their three rookies against three of the biggest Joshi stars and you had the crowd biting on the rookies pinning one of the stars with a sunset flip or a rollup or a bodyslam and it was great. Its one of these real sports things; seeing young wrestlers develop and trying to work out who the next big star is; seeing promising people sadly flame out while someone you dismissed goes on to because big: its fantastic.

The main difference though is that the WWE system generally doesn't seem to work in its stated goal of producing new wrestlers and they've produced, what, one person in the last couple of years who they actually give a developmental push to who's legitimately good? Meanwhile the above promotions that I'm talking about have a steady flow of trainees and are good at putting their characters over and making people interested and invested in them despite the fact that they aren't necessarily finished products yet. Especially now considering the sheer amount of incredibly talented rookies there are in Japan now with so many of them debuting and instantly being very very good with maybe a few rough edges to iron out. So while the idea of a show that is sold as "here are our young and upcoming stars of the future learning!" is a good one that has been done well before; it wouldn't really work there.

And frankly two performance centre geeks having a match would be infinitely more interesting than Johnny Gargano doing... anything; especially if Adam Cole is involved.

The PC's problem is that WWE are more concerned with doing cardio drills than actually focusing on things like grappling or basic technique the way other schools or the Japanese dojo system do. It's doubly insane because that approach fucks up the joints of big dudes, and that's what Vince likes, so they get called up and their knees are already shot.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gaz-L posted:

The PC's problem is that WWE are more concerned with doing cardio drills than actually focusing on things like grappling or basic technique the way other schools or the Japanese dojo system do. It's doubly insane because that approach fucks up the joints of big dudes, and that's what Vince likes, so they get called up and their knees are already shot.

Isn't this why Kenny wound up bailing?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's sad that cardio drills are still better than what i thought they were doing. i thought it was all power all the time, and mostly upper body. the reason why it's sad is that not knowing things is very sad. everyone should be able to become educated

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The dumbest of the Little Trump Fundraisers decided it would be a good idea to go after Brandi and he got torched. Click the thread they are too stupid to delete it.

https://twitter.com/ELPlethora/status/1155527227850838016

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

The dumbest of the Little Trump Fundraisers decided it would be a good idea to go after Brandi and he got torched. Click the thread they are too stupid to delete it.

https://twitter.com/ELPlethora/status/1155527227850838016

Man that guy is really upset that people complain about how lovely WWE is, and apparently it’s all AEW’s fault?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Won’t somebody think of the blond women??

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MJeff posted:

Isn't this why Kenny wound up bailing?

Kenny ended up bailing because of both DeMott's bullshit and because he knew he was just going to be used to put guys over who were being fast-tracked to the roster, because that's what he was doing for several months. So he went to John Laurinaitis, said he wanted to leave (mind you he had won the spot when he had been training at Harley Race's school), mentioned wanting to go to Japan, and apparently John lit up when he said that and told him he still had contacts in All Japan, he might be able to get him booked there. Kenny never heard from John again, but got his release, went back to Winnipeg and worked indies all over the provinces, stumbled upon a tape of Kota in DDT and got inspired, made the famous tape that got DDT to book him, and so the legend begins.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

WWE forever deserves all the poo poo in the world for letting DeMott get away with the poo poo he did.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

dsriggs posted:

Won’t somebody think of the blond women??

I do, quite a bit.

WWE has screwed up so much stuff in wrestling and the people desperately clinging to it and defending it as the standard bearer is infinitely baffling. When your product looks like 2000s era WCW, its not good. its dying.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

coconono posted:

I do, quite a bit.

WWE has screwed up so much stuff in wrestling and the people desperately clinging to it and defending it as the standard bearer is infinitely baffling. When your product looks like 2000s era WCW, its not good. its dying.

They're still making a poo poo load of money, which puts it in this weird position where from a product standpoint it's actually garbage and ratings are declining badly, but it's still very profitable.

I have to imagine at some point, the creative/product failures will lead to business failure, but they aren't there yet and that's probably why WWE isn't really changing.

Did WCW have any profitable years or did they just leak money even during the hot years?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They did well during the hot period of the nWo, but even then WCW had structural problems that would eventually bite them in the rear end.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

They're still making a poo poo load of money, which puts it in this weird position where from a product standpoint it's actually garbage and ratings are declining badly, but it's still very profitable.

I have to imagine at some point, the creative/product failures will lead to business failure, but they aren't there yet and that's probably why WWE isn't really changing.

Did WCW have any profitable years or did they just leak money even during the hot years?

In 1998 WCW made more than any wrestling company in history.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Reddit never ceases to disappoint.

Post titled "Lacey Evans is the future of the women's division"

quote:

Seriously this lady has everything going for her. Great look, character work, mic work and she is also amazing with her use of social media. The only thing she need to improve on a bit is her ring work and she has been getting better.

She is tall, blonde and very much embodies the type that Vince/WWE like when it comes to the women. She is also not afraid to be edgy or sexy with her character. She knows how to get heat with the audience.

She is also not even 30 yet. Truly the future of the division.

I mean she's absolutely god awful in the ring (she hasn't improved at all), her character work is also god awful and she fails to connect with the audience entirely. Also one of the responses.

quote:

People are gonna cry about this but there's was more hype and intrigue behind her feud with Becky than with Natalya who's been on the roster for a decade and still doesn't have Lacey's level of charisma. Character work, look and mic skills are what hooks a casual fan in not workrate. People on this sub unjustly poo poo on her as a bad wrestler just because her '''workmate'' isn't as high as other wrestlers but they conveniently leave out that she blows most wrestlers on the roster out of the park with her character and mic skills.

Hmm yes, character and mic work is what will save the product. Please ignore WWE's ratings absolutely going into the toilet around the time Lacey and Baron were being pushed heavily.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 29, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Baron push was especially surprising to me because of the story that he had brought up concussions and CTE during a creative meeting and pissed everyone off at one point.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Baron push was especially surprising to me because of the story that he had brought up concussions and CTE during a creative meeting and pissed everyone off at one point.

well its not like he was gonna brag about his hair or wrestling talent

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I mean he got buried for pretty much the rest of his time on SmackDown after that. Then he went to Raw and has been in every single main event every week ever since.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MJeff posted:

I mean he got buried for pretty much the rest of his time on SmackDown after that. Then he went to Raw and has been in every single main event every week ever since.

Exactly, you'd think that sort of thing would have him on the permanent shitlist, not getting this type of push simply by moving brands.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Exactly, you'd think that sort of thing would have him on the permanent shitlist, not getting this type of push simply by moving brands.

I guess this was before Vince decided that the good Baron is actually the ideal alpha male that will draw endless hordes of horny ladies to the shows.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nah, he's a tall white guy, so if anything they were impressed at him handling the temporary burial well and gave him leeway

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

does WWE still the "depush a guy just to see how he'll take it" thing still?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

does WWE still the "depush a guy just to see how he'll take it" thing still?

It's the WWE so they probably still do it cause they are lovely but nobody can tell these days since everybody's is booked like poo poo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cerebral Bore posted:

I guess this was before Vince decided that the good Baron is actually the ideal alpha male that will draw endless hordes of horny ladies to the shows.

Vince’s idea of what attractive men are hilarious, but then I remember Stephanie thought Bo Dallas was a heartthrob so maybe it’s genetic

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always wondered what constitutes the "look" WWE goes for. Like they obviously think Baron Corbin has this "look" but I think he looks like a goof.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always wondered what constitutes the "look" WWE goes for.

vince mcmahon would like to have sex with them

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aesop Poprock posted:

Vince’s idea of what attractive men are hilarious, but then I remember Stephanie thought Bo Dallas was a heartthrob so maybe it’s genetic

Wow I'll have you know Bo looks Botiful.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bo's sister was cuter, Vince has no taste considering he's been trying to gently caress HHH for years.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Vince just places attractiveness on the evil alignment hierarchy. Loves guys who look like orcs, hates guys who look like goblins (Christian, Daniel Bryan). Probably cums when he sees a mindflayer

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I always wondered what constitutes the "look" WWE goes for. Like they obviously think Baron Corbin has this "look" but I think he looks like a goof.

L U C K Y C A N N O N

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

coconono posted:

Bo's sister was cuter, Vince has no taste considering he's been trying to gently caress HHH for years.

ahhh! it's not hot

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In the middle of a thread talking about All Japan's attendance and streaming numbers (all bad), we got this delicious nugget of Wrestling Bubble Twitter:

https://twitter.com/FerranteFamous/status/1155936717012008960

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
“I soured on New Japan and started watching All Japan and decided it’s a movement because otherwise my decision would seem wrong and uncool”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Benne posted:

In the middle of a thread talking about All Japan's attendance and streaming numbers (all bad), we got this delicious nugget of Wrestling Bubble Twitter:

https://twitter.com/FerranteFamous/status/1155936717012008960

That tweet will be even funnier when New Japan announces "we hit a new record of subscribers to World for this G1!"