Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Going to take a moment of my Gen Con bee proselytizing to repost this from my twitter account:

In case you forgot, I also work on game history! With #GenCon this week, I thought it would be fun to review the programs project I did for the 50th in 2017, where I put event data for all 50 Gen Cons online, as well as some oral histories and a map

https://t.co/ksBu9YCKeS

I was also a featured guest that year and gave a presentation on the project with some data analysis. It was recorded, but never released to my knowledge. The slides are available, and you can see fun things like how boardgames have started to take over.

https://t.co/aJLLcZdxZz

You can examine other things with this data as well. I did a light analysis of how women running games at Gen Con has changed by cross referencing DM names with census data. It isn't perfect, but you can see trends.

https://t.co/S69k2aGqxo

Game history and data analysis can be a lot of fun and informative. I hope more people work with this kind of thing in the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Really no other new posts? A fine one though it be.

Oh no...oh no GroupMe is not giving me notifications again I bet

GROUPME WHY DO YOU DO THIS

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Why would there be new posts, gencon was three weeks ago and you missed it Quarex. We were all wondering why you werent there and sending you messages and evidently you just overslept and missed it? Also there was this college test you didnt study for and your teeth are falling out

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Mods? Gods? Somebody stop this.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Do we normally do a post GenCon thread, or should we keep using this one until Quarex misses GC next year?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Usually just use this one till Quarex awakens from his post Gen Con hibernation to begin to prepare for the next Gen Con.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

Why would there be new posts, gencon was three weeks ago and you missed it Quarex. We were all wondering why you werent there and sending you messages and evidently you just overslept and missed it? Also there was this college test you didnt study for and your teeth are falling out
Hahahahahaha oh... Oh no... OH NO IT IS ALL TRUE

OB_Juan posted:

Do we normally do a post GenCon thread, or should we keep using this one until Quarex misses GC next year?
Usually we talk here for about a month afterwards and HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST I AM HAVING A SECOND CHILD which is the only reason I can imagine missing it. Well. Hospitals notwithstanding

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Dr. Quarex posted:

Usually we talk here for about a month afterwards and HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST I AM HAVING A SECOND CHILD which is the only reason I can imagine missing it. Well. Hospitals notwithstanding

Look, we've been over this: wrap it up in November and boom, no conflict.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I'm flying out tomorrow morning and very seriously questioning my decision to go to work for one day this week. Like, I'm not getting poo poo done today. That is very clear.

Somewhat on-topic: what kind of things do you most often wish you had packed once you arrive? Like, "oh poo poo, I can't believe I forgot xxx". And don't say "your badge"

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Necronomicon posted:

Somewhat on-topic: what kind of things do you most often wish you had packed once you arrive? Like, "oh poo poo, I can't believe I forgot xxx". And don't say "your badge"

A small pack of wet wipes. Hand sanitizer can only do so much when you enter an elevator and press a button and get a mystery substance on your hand. (This happened last year to me :( )

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Since gooncon presence is spread across a few different chat platforms here's a post for organizing games. I'm bringing the following and happy to teach/play any of them. Most of my afternoons/evenings are free so let me know what you want to play and we'll schedule it.

Pax Pamir 2e
Food Chain Magnate
Antiquity
The Great Zimbabwe
Keyflower
Great Western Trail
Reef Encounter
Condottiere

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Necronomicon posted:

I'm flying out tomorrow morning and very seriously questioning my decision to go to work for one day this week. Like, I'm not getting poo poo done today. That is very clear.

The only thing I ever regretted forgetting was shoes. One year, I decided to wear flip flops so I didn't have to be annoyed at taking my pain in the rear end shoes off at the airport. Flight was great, I get to my hotel, holy poo poo, I forgot my shoes. It was not fun walking around Gen Con, like 8 miles a day of walking, in flip flops for 5 days.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Bottom Liner posted:

Since gooncon presence is spread across a few different chat platforms here's a post for organizing games. I'm bringing the following and happy to teach/play any of them. Most of my afternoons/evenings are free so let me know what you want to play and we'll schedule it.

Food Chain Magnate

I highly doubt I will have time for it, but would love to finally get to play Food Chain Magnate if it works out.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

A small pack of wet wipes. Hand sanitizer can only do so much when you enter an elevator and press a button and get a mystery substance on your hand. (This happened last year to me :( )

Smart! I'll pick some up today.

nesbit37 posted:

The only thing I ever regretted forgetting was shoes. One year, I decided to wear flip flops so I didn't have to be annoyed at taking my pain in the rear end shoes off at the airport. Flight was great, I get to my hotel, holy poo poo, I forgot my shoes. It was not fun walking around Gen Con, like 8 miles a day of walking, in flip flops for 5 days.

holy poo poo my dude, that's awful. I just got some fresh new kicks last week so I'm good to go on that front.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nesbit37 posted:

I highly doubt I will have time for it, but would love to finally get to play Food Chain Magnate if it works out.

Sure, if you wanna let me know a block of time you do have free we could plan for it then

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

After years of talking about attending GenCon with my wife we are finally doing it this year.
On the road traveling from Oregon at the moment.
I've been lurking the thread for awhile and taking notes of the tips from everyone.
We are both very excited and my wife has signed up for a few paint classes. Right now my plans are to be overwhelmed by everything for 4 days.
Some of our favorite games include Gloomhaven, Between Two Cities, Terra Mystica, Caverna, Galaxy Trucker, A Feast for Odin, Near and Far, Mansions of Madness and Mysterium. This list was ment to be shorter but we love board games!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Blankspot posted:

After years of talking about attending GenCon with my wife we are finally doing it this year.
I've been lurking the thread for awhile and taking notes of the tips from everyone.
We are both very excited and my wife has signed up for a few paint classes. Right now my plans are to be overwhelmed by everything for 4 days.
Some of our favorite games include Gloomhaven, Between Two Cities, Terra Mystica, Caverna, Galaxy Trucker, A Feast for Odin, Near and Far, Mansions of Madness and Mysterium. This list was ment to be shorter but we love board games!

ENJOY! Your first Gen Con is always a magical experience. Just remember, despite everyone in this thread (including me!) having strong opinions about how best to do Gen Con: there's no wrong way to do Gen Con if you're having fun.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Also, if anyone has experience with the Kids on Bikes RPG I'd love to play a one shot.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Blankspot posted:

If you find yourself in a situation where you want to teach a random goon a feast for odin, I'll be there!

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Sure, if you wanna let me know a block of time you do have free we could plan for it then

I'd love to play FCM, all of my Wednesday and Sunday are free. I could also do Thursday morning but would have to be done by noon. If those don't work or there is a better time, let me know and I can look at clearing that part of my schedule.

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 29, 2019

Blankspot
Aug 23, 2007
Would you kindly...

Yoda posted:

If you find yourself in a situation where you want to teach a random goon a feast for odin, I'll be there!

I think this is likely. I joined the GroupMe with the same name here. I didn't bring a copy but I assume it's available in that games library?

I'm probably going to pickup it's expansion.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm going to be generally available Thursday and one of Fri/Sat evenings, plus Sunday morning and early afternoon. Would be interested in PaxPam 2E, TGZ, and Keyflower.

I'm also probably bringing Pipeline and Ginkgopolis if people are interested. Could also fit Glory to Rome.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Deviant posted:

so, since someone asked, let me remind you all the deets on

:siren: shots motherfucking wednesday :siren:

Wed July 31, we're all gonna go down to the Rathskeller in Indianapolis and drink our faces off. They have an outdoor garden that can accomodate a failure of goons, the beers are huge and the food is good.

https://www.rathskeller.com/

This is not a walkable distance. Share an Uber or something, I'm not your mother.
(1.2 miles per google. Might be walkable if you're the type that does those things.)

Time: July 31st, 6pm - whenever they boot us out or we get bored

Be there and be square!

Hey, looks like I might actually be able to go to this! I managed to convince my wife and friend to get dinner at the Rath.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Last year we took up probably a quarter of the tables nearest the bar. This year is starting to sound even bigger.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

33 hours until I'm on the road to Gen Con!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Note we’ll be out in the courtyard at Raths

Also some Lyft promos: GAMEMASTER $5 off two rides (new users) GENCON19 15% off two rides DRAGONWINGS $5 ride (first 200 uses)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I really hope those coupons are activated tomorrow. I missed out on using them last year because I both arrived at Gen Con too early and then left too late :(

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Bottom Liner posted:

You're bringing about every game I was debating on bringing--if you got a seat open for your games I'm in. (I promise not to sneeze on your boards).

I'm definitely going to bring Archipelago, Pipeline, and Root. Might bring Escape Plan and Indonesia, but still checking my bag space before I'm doubling down on those. Arboretum and Skull will be dragged along with me as well.

Also I'm bringing some of my local beer with me to share because beer.

Robot Sidekick
Sep 14, 2013

Voice box, electric mistress, freeze tube zipper?

Haystack posted:

Hey, looks like I might actually be able to go to this! I managed to convince my wife and friend to get dinner at the Rath.

I am breaking my lurk mode just to say, I have been trying to make the meet up for years. It didn't take much convincing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Trynant posted:

You're bringing about every game I was debating on bringing--if you got a seat open for your games I'm in. (I promise not to sneeze on your boards).

Hey you’re cool

quote:

Also I'm bringing some of my local beer with me to share because beer.

Hey we’re BFFs now

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Necronomicon posted:

Phone charger, phone power bank, and goldbond. The latter because jeans loving chafe if you're walking several miles in Indiana humidity.

Robot Sidekick posted:

I am breaking my lurk mode just to say, I have been trying to make the meet up for years. It didn't take much convincing.

The best victories are the easy ones.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, if anyone has experience with the Kids on Bikes RPG I'd love to play a one shot.

I would be down to play and can bring a copy of the game. However, I'm running way too many hours of games to want to run KWB for folks.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Keyflower

I owe you a rematch, but I don't know if this year is going to be the year lol

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Necronomicon posted:

I just got some fresh new kicks last week so I'm good to go on that front.
Rookie mistake, home-slice. You want a pair of shoes that is well broken-in. Walking umpty-bajillion miles back and forth for four days straight in new shoes is likely a hot ticket to blister-town.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ilor posted:

Rookie mistake, home-slice. You want a pair of shoes that is well broken-in. Walking umpty-bajillion miles back and forth for four days straight in new shoes is likely a hot ticket to blister-town.

Bring multiple pairs if you have them. Last year I started in some sneakers and god blisters so I switched to these boat shoes that I love and they felt much better.

My feet are kinda hosed up though.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

lol at you losers walking around on your feet and not alternating between being carried by throngs of adoring fans or skittering around the halls on all fours, scaling the walls with your hooked claw-hands and snatching Fantasy Flight launch titles from the hands of unsuspecting con-goers

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

...and snatching Fantasy Flight launch titles from the hands of unsuspecting con-goers
...with your prehensile tongue.

:getin:

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Alright, limiting myself to 2 boxes which means the travel kit is:

Ginkgopolis
Caylus
Ora et Labora
Pipeline
Container

Gonna explore the vendor hall for a bit on thurs and then probably camp the JW for a while.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm headed to Gencon this year, both for the event and to catch up with family that live in Indy, here's what I'm bringing with me:
PaxPam 2e,
Space Alert,
An Infamous Traffic,
GoT Board Game
Sidereal Confluence,
a couple of mint tin PnPs,
COIN Tribes Revolt
reboxed Millennium Blades

Is there interest in Goondereal? I'm doing an organized game of it on Saturday

dromer fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU