Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Ok, so I don’t know if this is the right place, but it seems so? I’ve been drawing for about 5 hours weekly for the past two months, so I’m basically nowhere & I know that. But I’m having real troubles doing figure sketches/drawing, and it’s starting to become annoying.

As background, I have virtually no drawing experience previously. Two months ago I picked up a sketchbook and a pencil and started doing whatever in there for a few hours a week. I started off just making cow tools and trying to practice drawing using more than my wrist. Eventually I moved towards drawing whole pages of cubes and pyrimids, or doing Loomis heads, falling back on lines or cow tools when I didn’t want to do either of those. Now I’m trying to learn the basics of figure sketches and I feel as though every time I look at the figure I am unable to figure out how to start, or how to guarantee even the simplest portion stuff, so my wireframe people are deeply incorrect. I don’t know if the answer is just “spend another 50 hours working on it and it will slowly come together.” or if there’s a generally agreed upon methodology to work through that might help me. Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

I can’t get any photos of my work right now, but I can do a page and post it tomorrow if need-be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Chakan posted:

Ok, so I don’t know if this is the right place, but it seems so? I’ve been drawing for about 5 hours weekly for the past two months, so I’m basically nowhere & I know that. But I’m having real troubles doing figure sketches/drawing, and it’s starting to become annoying.

As background, I have virtually no drawing experience previously. Two months ago I picked up a sketchbook and a pencil and started doing whatever in there for a few hours a week. I started off just making cow tools and trying to practice drawing using more than my wrist. Eventually I moved towards drawing whole pages of cubes and pyrimids, or doing Loomis heads, falling back on lines or cow tools when I didn’t want to do either of those. Now I’m trying to learn the basics of figure sketches and I feel as though every time I look at the figure I am unable to figure out how to start, or how to guarantee even the simplest portion stuff, so my wireframe people are deeply incorrect. I don’t know if the answer is just “spend another 50 hours working on it and it will slowly come together.” or if there’s a generally agreed upon methodology to work through that might help me. Would anyone be kind enough to point me in the right direction?

I can’t get any photos of my work right now, but I can do a page and post it tomorrow if need-be.

Well, the main way to get better at drawing is to keep drawing, unfortunately there's no shortcut around spending the hours putting own stuff in your sketchbook. The next most important thing is to find a group of people willing (and skilled enough!) to give you honest critiques about your drawing. This could be in a drawing class, or online like in this very thread or some other art community, like concept art.org or somewhere else. Finally, you should get used to drawing things that don't turn out the way you want them to. Every artist does it, it's OK to have a drawing not work out and it's OK to try again a second, or third, or fourth time. Attempt to draw some challenging things that you know are beyond your skill level in addition to the practice heads and other "comfort" drawings, no way to get better without attempting it. If you want to draw a good figure, you've got to draw a bunch of lovely ones first.

I would say post some stuff in here! We're all super friendly while also being honest if people actually want critiques of their stuff. Plus, we can't give you anything more than very general pointers without seeing your work.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

Chakan posted:

Hey, I'm pretty new (especially to figure drawing) as well. Wanna try working on it together?

The most helpful resources I've found so far are two youtube channels: Proko and Love Life Drawing. Both have videos about gesture drawing, which is a good place to start.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Macksy posted:

i think that amount of twist in the torso is a tad unrealistic I fixed it for ya

Freaking :discourse:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

gmc9987 posted:

I would say post some stuff in here! We're all super friendly while also being honest if people actually want critiques of their stuff. Plus, we can't give you anything more than very general pointers without seeing your work.

Tayacan posted:

Hey, I'm pretty new (especially to figure drawing) as well. Wanna try working on it together?

The most helpful resources I've found so far are two youtube channels: Proko and Love Life Drawing. Both have videos about gesture drawing, which is a good place to start.

Thanks to you both! I’ll try to post something weekly & not worry too much about quality. I’ve been watching this thread for about a month & keep thinking to post, but despite the OP I say “no, everything is just bad sketches I’ll just wait till I have anything complete.”

I did want to ask about pencils. I’m using a .7 mechanical and I suspect that might be why I’m having a hard time with light lines. Is that true, or am I just too heavy-handed?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Without seeing your work it's hard to say. A mechanical pencil is a valid drawing tool, but I personally find they don't work so great for sketching. You can pick up a set of varying hardness pencils for like $10-15. I'd recommend it. The important thing w/ lighter pencils is to not push super hard to get darker lines. Switch out to your softer pencils for those bold/dark marks. Otherwise you'll end up damaging the paper (leaving indents).

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
I like 4b or 6b pencils for gesture drawing. Or crayons. I've been using crayons lately, and it's great fun, actually.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Practice is very important and all but you should absolutely seek out critiques from people who know what they're doing as regularly as you can possibly can, or you will carry over terrible habits into your art maturity that will take you forever and a day to shake off.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Chakan posted:

In addition to the Loomis books, look into the "Reilly method" and generally the work of Frank J. Reilly. Fred Fixler was a student of Reilly and put a bunch of course notes on his web site. The Reilly approach has more to do with the unified visual rhythms of the figure as opposed to just the construction. His abstractions of the figure are a good tool for seeing proportions as geometric shapes.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Chakan posted:

Thanks to you both! I’ll try to post something weekly & not worry too much about quality. I’ve been watching this thread for about a month & keep thinking to post, but despite the OP I say “no, everything is just bad sketches I’ll just wait till I have anything complete.”
:justpost:
The coming two weeks I am camping and drawing, I promise to post _all_ drawings, no matter how bad or doodly, when I come back.
But only if you promise to do the same.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

with apologies to shinmera

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

WIP 1

WIP2

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Digital painting and collage.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I drew cookie monster for my nephew's birthday!

And then I drew a bunch of other junk!!

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
I've been stressed out at work so decided to unwind by redrawing something I did a year ago when I was (also) stressed out about work. Drawing cables and tubes is more fun than I expected it to be.

New drawing:

Old drawing for reference:

And some silly OC art:

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I would die for pompadour duck

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Chakan posted:

I’ll try to post something weekly & not worry too much about quality.

I didn't forget about this thread. I put on the debate o one monitor and put up line-of-action on the other with a 10-minute timer so I could sketch the same outline a few times. I did not spend 10 minutes of attention on each of them, but y'know. Do other people put notes next to what they sketch so they can say "my first impression was better, but I didn't make that mistake on the second?" Haven't used a scanner in a long time.

https://imgur.com/a/fJhOTRu

The sketches are pretty large (>5mb) but I guess that's not such a big deal anymore and I'm too tired to futz with it more.

Looking at them, the big issue seems to be that I'm not confident with them. I'm also afraid for body parts to touch, even when it's obvious they should overlap. I'd like to hear what people think I should focus on though, as that's just what stands out to me.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

tarot design

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

Chakan posted:

Looking at them, the big issue seems to be that I'm not confident with them. I'm also afraid for body parts to touch, even when it's obvious they should overlap. I'd like to hear what people think I should focus on though, as that's just what stands out to me.

Idk that I'm necessarily super qualified to give advice - I'm not that far ahead of you - but what helped for me was to start with the big flowy lines of the pose, and then add volume afterwards.

Would it be cool or annoying if I tried to draw the same poses you did, spending 10 minutes on each? Either way, I'll try to get some figure drawing done this week and post it here.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Tayacan posted:

Would it be cool or annoying if I tried to draw the same poses you did, spending 10 minutes on each? Either way, I'll try to get some figure drawing done this week and post it here.

I would love to see others do the same poses I did, that was my secret hope when saving them. I didn’t really spend a full 10 minutes on them, but mostly because I was distracted by the debate, so don’t feel bad if you want to move on after 6 or whatever.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
Cool! I'll probably have time to do them either tonight or tomorrow.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
Ok, here goes: https://imgur.com/a/Ia9XZst

This was fun! It's been a while since I've done this, so it was good to get back to it.

I'm not super happy with either of my attempts at the first pose. The first one is ok, but I messed up her hip, so her body looks too thick. The second one, I placed her too far down on the paper, so I didn't have room for the legs. This is a thing I struggle with in stretched out poses in general.

The second pose was fun! I only did one drawing of it, and I probably should've started a second one instead of trying to shade it, because with the time I had left, I couldn't really make it clear what was going on with the shadows.

The third pose is also somewhat stretched out, and in my first attempt, you can see a bigger circle where I originally tried to place the head, before deciding that I needed to draw smaller. I also messed up the hip + the leg. Second attempt was much better - I'm pretty satisfied with that one, except for the right arm, which I messed up and then tried to fix as well as I could.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Chakan posted:

My big advice for you is to focus on approaching your drawings as three dimensional masses with volume and spatial relationships, rather than attempting only to trace out the contour lines of the figure like a human laser-cutter. The challenge of representing a three dimensional shape on a page, and making one shape look like it's in front of or behind another shape, is incredibly important bedrock level stuff that is going to be the foundation of basically everything you ever do in drawing. Don't be afraid of the spots where the body parts connect or overlap-- these are actually the most important spots because they tell us something about how the big shapes fit together and their relative positions. Without overlapping and connected shapes, we get drawings that are very flat and unconvincing.

I picked out one of the sketches that it looked like you struggled most with:

I should say first that It's important to pick good, clear reference to work from. This picture is heavily shrouded in shadow and cloth, and a lot of the figures is just plain not visible. It's a dramatic photo, but we really want to see the anatomy that we're drawing. Still, we can do better to find the big shapes in this figure. The cubes and boxes that you've been drawing are not just mindless drills! Boxes can be used to help break down and understand even very intimidating subjects. I've drawn a few of the major shapes that represent the head, torso, pelvis, and arms. Nobody's going to mistake this for a real person, but if we can master the proportions and placement of simple box figures, it puts us in a much more solid position to start understanding the complex fleshy stuff.

Box figures are just one of a million ways to break down and abstract the body into major shapes or gestures. Learn as many as you can stomach.

For sake of demonstration, and to show a more organic way of approaching the body than boxes, I also did 10 minute sketch on one of your other reference images.

The first stage is probably only 60-90 seconds of drawing, and I'm really bad at quick gestural stuff. My main goal here is to, as quickly as possible, establish the overall proportions of the body, and the gesture of the spine and limbs from head to toe. Establishing the full "length" of your figure immediately helps prevent you from running out of space on your paper as you work down or across the body. The first two lines I drew were the one from the base of the skull down to the groin, and the line that comes off the hip and extends down the leg to the end of the outstretched foot. Then I indicate the mass of the torso, the skull, the gesture of the arms, and I follow the shape of the hips around to find the other tucked in leg. I'm building a scaffold on which I can spend the next ten minutes hanging a more complex drawing.

The next 9 minutes are just me working back across that blueprint to fill in the meat. The more you study the figure, the more you begin to understand how the big shapes of the body fit together, and how some muscles can be grouped and treated somewhat like a single mass. For example, knowing that the torso is made up of a rigid ribcage(yellow) and a flexible abdominal area (red) helps me know what to look for, and it makes it easier to see the big difference in the angle of the ribs from the angle of the hips/pelvis(blue).

Anyway, I'm not a real teacher but I hope there's at least something helpful in here to either Chakan or Tayacan or anyone else.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Scoss posted:

Anyway, I'm not a real teacher but I hope there's at least something helpful in here to either Chakan or Tayacan or anyone else.

Exceptional! Thank you gor writing all this. I’ll work on that and be back next week with something.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

Scoss posted:

Definitely! Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Double post is your fault for not drawing more.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

10 of cups

tarot cards are literally always fun to do but i don't think i could maintain a consistent style through 78 fuckin cards

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Currently camping in France, drawing and painting a bunch but I can't / won't post until I return, something about imgur and posting on mobile.
Anyway, I enjoy watercolours and like to use them outside but run into a surface problem. Surface to put everything that is. The brush problem is solved as I found a clip with two small cans to hold water, allowing me to use a normal brush. I use a tiny water colour sketchbook for now and have a wallet to hold my pencil, pen and eraser. As for paints, I brought a 48 pan set and that is not very portable so that could be improved. A backpack to hold everything.
But now, if I want to paint something I have to look for a place to sit that will also allow me to put the stuff down I want to use.

How do others in this thread solve that?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've not completely, but collapsable fishing stools look like the way to go. A bottle of water, a plastic mug, a watercolour tin that fits two brushes in, I don't think I could trim it down much more.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

lofi posted:

I've not completely, but collapsable fishing stools look like the way to go. A bottle of water, a plastic mug, a watercolour tin that fits two brushes in, I don't think I could trim it down much more.
yeah these are alright. I havent done for watercolour so I haven't had to deal with spills, but these stools tend to have soft fabric seats.
if you want a less bouncy surface for your cans, maybe you could also fit a rectangle of masonite in your backpack long enough to go from edge to edge of the stool, to give a flat surface for your cans.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

hello thread. i don't post here often (ever?) and i barely (ever?) sketch. but, i've recently began loving around with it again. here a few things that have occupied my mind recently. constructive criticism greatly appreciated!

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 5, 2019

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

ShoogaSlim posted:

constructive criticism greatly appreciated!

Did you mean to include images in your post? If so, they're not showing up for me.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Tayacan posted:

Did you mean to include images in your post? If so, they're not showing up for me.

that's what i get for posting deliriously at 3am. added the images!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Last artdome entry.

From crappy concept painting. To 3d render. To finished photoshop comp.

Really gotta practice photoshop painting more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

hello thread. i don't post here often (ever?) and i barely (ever?) sketch. but, i've recently began loving around with it again. here a few things that have occupied my mind recently. constructive criticism greatly appreciated!

Looks like you're drawing from imagination pretty much exclusively. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it tends to build some bad habits in regards to rendering the human form. There's incongruous areas in the faces where there are somewhat natural renderings of the face, and in other areas it's incredibly cartoony and abstracted looking, the eyesamf the mouths to be specific. I'm not saying you can't combine the 2, but it feels like it wasn't a conscious design choice. It creates visual tension and a bizarre disconnect visually. It makes the work hard to read. The eyes and the mouth are incredibly emotive and convey a lot of information in very subtle ways. I'd recommend you do some life drawing/drawing from reference of human faces to better help you convey the emotions and of the character in these scenes.