Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Sure, let's go with Nack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
Reginald

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Jade Rider posted:

Nack, if the Sonic comics are any indication.

Seconding Nack, who also showed up in one of the game gear games and the fighting game

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

mateo360 posted:

Duke

I'm not sorry

Gotta agree with this!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I know it’s unlikely to win but to me, a suitable name for a sneaky weasel is Bobby ”The Brain” Heenan

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I like Duke too.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Going with Nack as well. I approve of more weasels on any team.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd usually say Fang but seeing how the original name has no chance to win I'll accept the bad dub name and join the Nack vote.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

FoolyCharged posted:

Swiper, no swiping!

Swiper no swiping! :(

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I'm of the opinion that Swiper should swipe, actually :colbert:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Votes so far!

Nack: 6
Swiper: 3
Duke: 3
Manuel: 2
The Brain: 1
Reginald: 1

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Sure, let's go with Nack.

Going to vote for this

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And Nack it is, cheers luvs!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 20: Cold Water

Surfing

These routes have taunted us for too long, so let's see what they're about.

Water Pokemon. Now there's a surprise.

I wish Professor Rowan would give me a Pokedex. But that old guy looks kind of scary.

My mommy said that Professor Rowan is really kindhearted.

The route quickly splits into three, so we'll go this way.

If it were an underwater Pokemon show, I would have shined.

We only went that way to fight a trainer, so back to the main path.

Well, Pokemon's one thing, but you should take up swimming, too!

Obviously we're a bit ahead in levels since we could've come here much earlier, but getting HMs pretty quickly after another means there's less back and forth.

And since there's some variety in these water routes, I won't have to skip anything! Makes a change...

Surely we're running out of plates.

It's what I live for! Pokemon!

Now the bottom split.

Just a single trainer, but I can't miss a drat thing.

Sure I lost, but watch me! I'll get tougher with water Pokemon.

Oh yeah, another reason the water routes were bad. Since we've seen most Water mons in the dex, there's not much new here.

Listen, I have something important to say to you. Don't drown in your own talent.

Ah crap, this was meant to be a double battle, but when she has long range and is looking right at you, whoops!

There's always dialogue like this in every game, it's weird, stop being weird.

I wasn't ready!

I forgot I had Swift for Water types, now I've got Crunch, hell yeah.

I may look like I'm swimming gracefully, but beneath the surface I'm kicking furiously.

Something I should mention is we could fish up Lumineon right now, but it's only a 5% chance and we can just get it later along with a bunch of other Water types, don't fancy fishing a million times for it.

If you don't know how to fish, you're missing half of life's enjoyment. If you don't know Pokemon... you're missing out on all of it!

Route 221 Day

That's it for the water part, thank god for the awful surfing speed in DP, or this whole area would've been a water route.

Wanna breed a Chingling for some reason? This is the one for you.

Uh, I'll get back to you on that. A bit out of the way, but very worth it as he gives out a Black Belt, an Expert Belt, then a Focus Sash when you show him the exact level Pokemon he's asking. This repeats so infinite Focus Sashes ain't too bad, right?

Ooh, big grass patch, wonder if we'll find anything.

Uh, let's try that again.

We can finally find Sudowoodo and get that version exclusive Bonsly we've been missing. If I hadn't already caught it. Twice. Technically three times if you include bingo... huh, that's an out of context statement. Anyway, if you want to whack stuff, this is a good time to use it, Rock Head Wood Hammer cannot be underestimated. Rock Slide, elemental punches and Double-Edge are also swell options. So long as it's not Sturdy.

To even make Cherrim good, this must be the work of an enemy ace.

Alright, that's nearly everything here, but there is one more thing.

The earliest you can catch Skuntank, so that's another version exclusive off the list.

Another very nice TM, isn't it nice that Bug got some love this gen? Had to happen eventually...

I think keeping up the effort to better yourself is a talent in itself.

We're getting Pal Park ready. I wonder what you can do there?

Pal Park isn't open yet. We're still setting up.

Pal Park, huh? I wonder what kinds of Pokemon you can see there?

Surfing

Short and simple route, but obviously there's more to that place as we'll see later. Plenty more to explore across the region, so let's bounce between some areas.

Ah, another baby. Well, I only really think of them when they evolve into something from another generation, but this one counts, wonder if we'll get one this update maybe? It's a pain to evolve and only offers Reversal to its evolution. Meh. Best evolve it quick since it'll run out of moves pretty quickly, but Lucario is such a good Pokemon that it's worth it. Otherwise, not much to mention, despite being pretty late to obtain.

Also it'd be dumb to come here just after getting Surf and realising you also need Strength. Aren't HMs fun?

Wasn't that worth it?

Lots of little things to remember. Why do I remember all of them...

If you remember a small pond, like this one by Veilstone City, chances are there's an item on the other side.

Why are those ships there?

Neat. And since we're on the East side, we can get the other Gastrodon on the rainy part of the route. Since they're the same, pick them up whenever you first encounter them depending on the colour, though West has the advantage due to being obtained earlier.

Don't forget this little area.

Meh.

Glad to finally get this taunting items. Now we can breed for Budew! Yay?

We'll be coming back to this route a couple more times since there's a waterfall and a trainer on top of a cliff. Fun times.

You need a Good Rod if you want to catch good Pokemon.

Mt. Coronet

And that's everything we can get right now, so on to Snowpoint! Though we can't get to it from the bottom entrance. Still, we have both Dawn Stones, those will be useful, and this is the first one you could get in DP, not that it mattered since neither evolutions were in the Sinnoh Dex.

We'll use the middle entrance to head on, since we can finally move these boulders for sweet prizes.

What a comical time to hatch.

Very good time though, but we'll dump it in the box in a moment.

Mt. Coronet is big, but we'll only scratch the surface in this visit.

And Defog. Of course. Thankfully, this is an optional use of it, well they're all optional, but Route 210 is very recommended. And, after this, we won't need Defog for a long time, so we'll get rid of it until then.

There's a million items here, so best grab them!

Just assume to get to an item we need to smash like 5 rocks each.

Skirting around the lake, pretty serene place.

Ooh, increase the turns of Reflect and Light Screen to 8 instead of 5.

Why

Alright, anyone for fishing?

So we haven't met a trainer with a Feebas yet... but they're in the dex, and so is their method of catching them. Route 118 had six Feebas spots out of a possible 436 tiles, so 1/73 chance the tile you're fishing in COULD be Feebas. But hey, you could mix records for it, I guess. It's the same set up here, instead it's FOUR spots across 528 water tiles, so 1/132. That's a loving yikes. Like before, being in the same group also syncs Feebas tiles, cause you'll need multiple people to find one drat fish.

Oh wow would you look at that, I found one immediately. What are the chances? Well we're done in this underground area, so let's quickly head back and free up a party space.

Mmm, that's the good poo poo. We'll evolve Feebas later, it requires 220 Beauty like before, which isn't particularly difficult.

Another cave that wasn't in DP...

Hmm, weird, we wouldn't get this item for a long time in DP, so hey, won't complain. But do you feel that chill down your spine? The hair on your arms standing up?

Route 216 Day / Night

I thought so. Man, I love this game.

Hmm, we'll get up there soon. But hey, let's see what's in the grass.

Time for our final team member already. Usually I take a bit of time to figure out when I want to get my team and how it'll balance with everyone else, but this was the easiest pick in the world. Sneasel has good stats as is, but it's a real winner of the split, so it'll be just great! It'll be a little bit before it can evolve, but even being fragile and not having great level up moves, it'll have the tools it needs to survive just fine until then.

Unfortunately our entire team is male, but a +Atk -SpDef nature is very nice and we have a lovely nickname by Jade Rider. 14/20/23/24/21/29 IVs are legit and easily the highest on the team, hell, nearly triple Etrian's.

Need to do the HM shuffle, Etrian will need a space soon.

Ah, that explains the hailstorm. If you want a hail team then this is your best, and only option. It's definitely not a bad choice, though the only good moves it has are coming up pretty soon, Wood Hammer and perfect accuracy Blizzards, along with Ice Shard to cover its low Speed. It is worth going one level over to get Blizzard much earlier, but otherwise it'll evolve soon and give you a little more to work with. If you can avoid its myriad of weaknesses.

Too powerful for its own good. Well we'll just catch two later.

Alright, let's catch these han-

Hey wait, I didn't finish my joke! Alright fine... if you got a friend for this duck, but won't see them again since summer camp is over, then this is a perfectly fine option. You should evolve it again for better stats and the same moves, but this is a better all rounder if you like sticking around, especially with Recover. It'll be the same story then when we encounter the evolution, load it with boltbeam and Tri Attack and you're good to go.

Alright, let's catch these hands! ...see, it's not funny anymore. Well it's probably double as good as its evolution, especially since Double Hit is a pretty great move boosted by Technician. That's the only thing it really does for it, since Fake Out is an egg move. But at least you've got, uh, Aerial Ace? Swift? ...Thief? Well with Nasty Plot you could make that work, but it doesn't give you many options, so get some TMs like Shadow Claw and U-turn, maybe an elemental punch and you should be good to go. It's fine, but not the knock out user of Technician.

I'd rather be asleep in the lodge's bed... I can't take this cold...

So this route is unlike anything we've had before, and the music is amazing, but any deep snow makes it impossible to run and it can make things very slow going. Also we're really not dressed for this weather, having a scarf and jacket doesn't excuse no leggings!

We can see the disparity, but Nack will catch up fine. Also the Hail is helpful and harmful, such is life.

You can make all the preparations in the world, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Perhaps I should maybe change into a more comfy outfit...

Now that Bug finally has good moves, you start noticing how many things are weak to it.

Radical, dude.

OK! You and your Pokemon are healthy, chipper, and good to go!

Oh yeah, need to remember some types have useful STAB now, it's only been a decade.

With no friends this could be an alright option, you can relearn the elemental punches and have a variety of TMs, since both sides are low, but usable enough. Otherwise there's standard Ghost stall with Curse, Substitute and Will-O-Wisp, at least you have the option to make it stronger if you're able, since it has a lot of tools for that.

This shivering cutie is able to go two ways depending on your preferences, though only if it's female. It's a quick path to them, since Ice Fang and Crunch are nice to have, but it doesn't have much else. You can evolve it to something pretty spooky right now, or you can wait and make it angry. Either way, it's a good option. We'll catch another one later, but for now, it's on to the next route, surely the thick snow is bad enough, right?

Um, are you maybe on your way to Snowpoint City? That's where I'm going, too. If I use Fly, I can get there instantly, but I'm walking for my training. I have no problem with this. I'm used to the cold because I go barefoot and lightly dressed.

Oh, that was nothing. Really, I'm not cold at all. I'll be going now. Please take care!

The view never clears up. Electabuzz is a real fast mixed attacker and will do just fine if you can't evolve it, with Thunderpunch, Discharge, Brick Break and elemental punches, choose what you're missing. We left Cross Chop behind last gen, but if you don't want to go all twin tails, then it'll do.

So the next few areas could really test if you love this region or not. It's pretty bad, but also kinda cool and different? It's miserable playing through it, but also atmospheric and attributable to the region as a whole?

Gah! Did you spot him in the last image?

...we step ever closer to Seals. One day.

The trees and the various trainers are the only real markers of where you're going, so here's a map so you're not lost. Also nice seeing what this area looks like when it's calm.

Maybe I should've studied at the Trainers' school instead...

CHOFF CHOFF CHOFF CHOFF CHOFF CHOFF

Snow is cool cause it makes everything look pretty, but I'm never a fan of going through it.

Nack is catching up real nicely, mainly helped by everything else using Ice moves.

Mmm-mmmph! Mmm mmmrrmm.

I gave you a map, so you better know where I am!

Who let these small children hide in deep snow at night?

Funnily enough, I'm loving freezing, my legs especially, can't think why, so let's take solace in this house.

If I still had that hidden move Rock Climb, I'd be able to scale sheer cliffs...

But I'd already given it up for lost, and you found it. It's yours to keep, my friend. Make good use of it. I like your honesty, though. Let me reward you with this.

That Icicle Plate, I found under the snow as well. I'm no expert, but it looks to be of ancient origin. Even as old as the time when Sinnoh came into being...

Hmm, nope, still freezing. But like when I play Go, if I stay out in miserable weather long enough, my hands eventually stop throbbing.

This little piggie has a great evolution choice, but you need to relearn Ancientpower as a Piloswine to go to the next step. We're already at the level of evolution, so get your shaggy pig and think about mammoths. It could be worth waiting a little to get an early Earthquake.

Another house, sanctuary!

"may it serve you well..."

Thanks mysterious pale lady.

Oh hey remember that Eevee we got a million years ago? Well this route is the earliest you can evolve it into Glaceon. It's a good mon, but is it worth the wait? Well maybe it'll be available earlier than this in a later game, like USUM. Hrm.

We'll soon be able to do all the stone evolutions, cause boy is there a fair few.

Also the first time we can grab this.

Let's duck back into the war- NANI?! Huh, must've gone on vacation.

The final cat... fox... thing, it's chilly but that's a good thing, it absolutely puts the hurt in with Ice Beam, or Blizzard if you're feeling risky. The only problem is it doesn't do much aside from that, it learns a lot of physical moves and we can't even get Ice Beam yet. At least it learns 4 special moves, Ice Beam/Blizzard, Water Pulse, Shadow Ball and Signal Beam. So, uh, take your pick. At least it's also somewhat defensive? Oh wait, it's an Ice type, ignore that. Still, it hits like a goddamn truck, and that's all you really need.

Also here's Piloswine, since you can relearn Ancientpower and evolve it immediately, there's not much to say. Make sure to keep Ice Shard, only Swinub learns that for some reason.

We're nearly outta here.

I am a lucky sonovabitch.

Oh yeah it gets that. Crap.

Around these parts, perhaps because of all the snow, there are many folktales of hauntings...

Slooow! Way too slow! Listen, Hikari. See how the rocks are all lumpy here? You can't climb those rocks until you get the Snowpoint Gym Badge. Anyway, I'm off. Team Galactic! I'm coming for you!

Please let me go. Acuity Lakefront was much flatter in DP, since Grunts just blocked the way to the lake until you beat the Gym, which I feel is something the PC wouldn't tolerate by this point. Still, there's not much here since we've caught all the new Pokemon, but there is one thing...

In DP, this was the earliest you could get Medicham, but they were moved to a bit later in this game. It's weird for GF to actually remove an option for a future Gym, but Medicham is super strong, so I don't blame them.

Next time, we'll explore the frozen northern town of Snowpoint.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

okay but it gets way worse about Feebas though

Because, in Hoenn, the tiles only changed when you changed the trendy words, right?

In Sinnoh the tiles change EVERY DAY

also this weird quirk

quote:

Of the total 528 fishable tiles, one Feebas tile is located within each 132 tiles (counted left-to-right then top-to-bottom).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ah, the snow routes. I despise them. They're nice-looking but terrible to play in, and another part of why I'm very much not a fan of Gen 4. It's another gimmick that hurts the game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

You really nailed it with your description of this area. It's one of my favorites aesthetically and musically, and you really interact with this route in a way you don't with others. Most routes you just, you know, walk along, they're a way to get you to the next plot beat and have some trainer battles. But this is a route you experience.

Unfortunately that also makes it a slog that lasts way too long and has absolutely no replay value.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Not to mention that the whole route has a permanent Hail. Which means that the battles take much longer due to the notifications. And that they're more annoying because it hurts our Pokemon.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

And it's a lot harder to be immune to Hail than it is to be immune to Sandstorm.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The only thing I like about this area is the diamond dust weather.

Aha, so that's what game this NPC is from. I knew I remembered this happening!

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I caught a feebas here as a kid by accident while looking for... I wanna say Dratini? Regardless, it'a a good fish, even if its capture and evolution methods are somewhat annoying. Kids these days don't know how good they have it I tell you what. Dang thing's a regular fishing encounter and trade evo now

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ORAS also made it much easier to evolve Feebas, even if they kind of brought back the original evolution method.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Feebas is one of those pokemon where I think on almost every level, the concept is a lot more compelling than the execution. Make a thing rare by changing which squares it spawns on rather than the encounter rate? Interesting in theory, incredibly irritating in practice, to the point it's just unpleasant gameplay. An alternate take on Magikarp where it evolves by something completely independent of level? (Plus being a cute take on the "ugly duckling" story trope). Again, interesting in theory, but in practice it means "look up a guide, you won't figure this out naturally". And while Milotic is a good pokemon, it's always just seemed less compelling to me than Gyarados as far as sea serpent things go (not to mention I tend to think Gyarados is more fun to use, but obviously that's pretty subjective).

Incidentally, it only needs 170 Beauty to evolve, not 220; at least that's pretty forgiving (although given how the "sheen" stat works it's still possible to mess it up and render the pokemon unable to evolve permanently). I think 220 is the threshold for friendship evolutions, maybe that's how this got mixed up.

I do like that they made an evolution method like this, though as they've continued to drop the contest mechanics and stats in subsequent games, Feebas ended up as yet another held item trade evolution, and lost a lot of its uniqueness and allure as a result. Despite my nitpicking here, I think that's rather a shame.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

One of the design goals (I guess you could say) of Gen 3 was making things that sounded like playground rumors. I'm sure all of us who played RBY at the peak of Pokemania remember the rumors about Mew under the truck, or using Cut to get out of bounds, or the only one that ended up being true about talking to the catching tutorial guy and flying to Cinnabar Island. Game Freak wanted to try to make rumors like that intentionally. The three Regis are the most significant example of this, but Feebass is definitely another example.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 21: Hot and Cold Passion

Snowpoint City Day / Night

Snowpoint City: City of Snow
From snow and point, northern point or snowflake point.
Kissaki City: The city of snow and glittering ice.
From 切っ先 kissaki (tip of a blade)

We've made it to the northern point of Sinnoh. Or, uh, one of the various northern points, but there's not too much to this "city", so we'll be tackling the Gym pretty soon.

Oh, hi, Hikari! Are you taking the Gym challenge now? I'm hoping to see Candice soon, but I'm staying put until I warm up first. Oh, you should know that Candice is a user of Ice-type Pokemon. I really admire Candice. She's so studious. She wanted to practice against me to learn about the Fighting type. It's because the Ice type matches up badly against the Fighting type.

Mail and some nice balls. Regular falling snow is something we've seen plenty of by now, so let's have some diamond dust. It occurs on certain special days only in this city and is a neat visual, though it wasn't until HGSS that we knew it had no effect in battle. It's something to remember, since it's in every gen going forward.

Let's see what exciting things we can find in the houses!

Very well... the trendy thing to say for you would be... CONTOUR! That's a trendy sort of thing to say. I hope you'll use trendy sayings in a trendy way.

We can get a different word for our vocabulary every day here. Wow!

It's been a long time, but we've finally reached the next move tutor. Unfortunately he's poo poo and the actual useful moves are postgame lol

What's north of north?

A place we'll never be able to make use of anyway, so whatever.

...do you realise what you're offering? It's no Cubone for a Machamp, but I'll take it!

Alright, it's Gengar time! Any second now. Just gotta wait for the evolution screen to pop up. It'll be an amazing trade that- okay, what the gently caress is going on.

I made it hold something that prevents it from evolving. Please treat me HAUNTER nicely! I'll be good to your MEDICHAM, too! Thanks to Pokemon, we got to be friends, didn't we?

MINDY!!!!!!! So yeah, this is a joke trade that required me getting Medicham earlier so it would work, cause I know one of you would've mentioned it and spoiled it! Well we can catch Gengar later, so it's not a big deal, but it is pretty drat funny.

Now that we've got a Fly point, we'll shift some moves around and now we're ready for the Gym!

Pokemon Gym

Do you see the big snowballs placed here and there? You need to slide on the ice with enough momentum to crush them. The Gym Leader is a user of Ice-type Pokemon. Melt her defenses with scorching-hot Fire-type moves! It's all about focus with this Gym. Bear down and focus!

Wheeeeeeeeee! So yeah, even though I've played this game a million times, I don't know the quickest route through this Gym, but the puzzle is simple enough.

The main issue is getting to the trainers, some of them are a little out of the way.

The higher up you slide from, the more speed you'll have to smash those big snowballs.

So long as you're coming in from one level above, you can smash any snowball in your path, the main trick is the more levels you go down, the more you can then go up. I always forget this Gym is slightly different in DP, but only the snowballs and snow patches change, so the concept is the same and the middle ones are still present, so you do the exact same thing anyway.

Must the AI insist on using Protect every time?

Temperature puns. I mean, the title is already one.

You've battled all over, you say? That makes you tough, perhaps.

There's maybe two more trainers in here then there needs to be, but they're all easy to get to.

Nack caught up pretty easily, so it's nice to use the full team, but I forget how fragile Pop is sometimes.

I've battled countless Trainers and many more Pokemon still. My spirit has been hardened from all the battles I have fought.

Now to break all the snowballs. Well, we only need to do the middle ones, but I'm breaking all of them.

The snow patches and stairs are sneakily placed, so we'll need to go in from the left side.

But a good Trainer is one who wins no matter the situation!

That's right a good Trainer will win, no matter what the situation might be. The Trainer's feelings... the Pokemon's feelings... if they are one and the same, you will never lose.

We use this patch twice for the snowball and the trainer. And then it'll just be the leader left.

If you have wonderful friends, there is no limit to how far you can go.

Sure thing! I was waiting for someone tough! But I should tell you, I'm tough because I know how to focus. Pokemon, fashion, romance... it's all about focus! I'll show you just what I mean. Get ready to lose!

Gym Leader Battle

Candice/Suzuna: The Diamond Dust Girl!
From candida (Latin for shining white) or candid and ice, and 鈴菜 suzuna (an old name for turnip) and 涼しい suzushii (cool).

Ice Gyms are always hit and miss, great offensive type, but we've got a million ways to pick them apart. Case in point, we know very well how Sneasel does, so let's move on.

What used to be the ace is now the weather setter for the actual ace. Works out, since Huevo eats this thing alive, remember I have a Serene Grace Air Slash Togekiss, oh baby was this worth the wait.

It's nice that there's some variety, since the DP dex was, uh, limited, shall we say. That'll become more and more apparent as GF run out of types to work with, like always.

Freezing you and stealing your spirit, Froslass is at least more interesting than Glalie's even and pretty mediocre stats, but that doesn't make it much better, since it has the same offenses, but is speedier and more fragile. Woo. But when you think of this mon, you think of freezing Blizzards and Shadow Balls, which is definitely what it can do, but it can be physical, even though it has worse options. Crunch from Snorunt, Ice Punch and, uh, Astonish? No, wait, Ice Shard and Destiny Bond! This is a terrible idea. You've got Thunderbolt and Psychic as better options, and you can set your own Hail for ability abuse. Or maybe you could set up a layer of Spikes before immediately fainting. Sounds about right.

Anyway, fragile Ice type. Wasn't expecting the one shot, but Snow Cloak Double Team is illegal so we'll just say gg and move on.

Pokemon Gym

I think your focus and will bowled us over totally. Oh, that's right! I'm supposed to give you this!

Because you have it, you can use the hidden move Rock Climb anytime, even when you're not in battle. Oh, and take this, too.

If the user takes damage, the move's power is doubled! Can you imagine what sort of focus you'd need to pull it off? Do you think I should try to act more like an Ice-type Gym Leader? Like, do you think I should be more cool and distant? That sort of thing I have trouble with.

Whhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

We're nearly done, always crazy to think that. We should be getting to the next Gym pretty quickly, nothing ever happens between badges 7 and 8!

With that Badge, aren't you allowed to use the hidden move Rock Climb? Rock Clib can be learned by Rock-type or Fighting-type Pokemon, I think.

Yay Rock Climb, it's a pretty cool way to traverse the region. You know, if there weren't 7 other HMs vying for attention. Also they overuse it, by a lot. Like with Surf, when we get Waterfall, we'll go through and get everything, since I didn't fancy doing 4 separate trips around the region getting stuff. Oh yeah, evolution item for Dusclops if you have a friend.

It's only been a few minutes, surely Barry hasn't gotten into that much trouble, right?

Barry in Trouble

Oh? Are you finished already? Your Pokemon aren't bad, but you're laughably weak. You honestly thought you could save the Pokemon of the lake? And become the Pokemon Champion? Dream on, little kid. But, eww, it's so cold here. Let's go back to the Veilstone HQ.

Listen. Team Galactic is going to do something huge for everyone's sake. That's why you should keep out of Team Galactic's way. Don't come whining about poor Pokemon and other trivial junk like that. Don't waste your time coming to our HQ in Veilstone. Now, if you'll excuse me.

Yeah, that's right! I couldn't do anything against Team Galactic! That Pokemmon called UXIE... it was suffering... I'm going to get tougher... it's not about winning or losing... that's not good enough... I have to be stronger... it's not enough to just want to be the most powerful Trainer ever... it takes honest effort... and a determined heart.

Let's refresh the area to get the lake music back and grab this. Nothing else to the area for now, so we'll head to Veilstone HQ, like Jupiter totally wants us to do.

Route 216 Day

Okay we'll do one thing before heading there, since it's pretty out of the way and there's no good opportunity to do this place later.

Also trainers, that are weirdly low enough level for fighting before Candice. Never understood it.

Alright, see ya!

I'm gonna use that in my vocabulary from now on, slalom!

If it was skiing, I wouldn't lose. I should go ski with my Pokemon...

You're right, willingly going through the snow again does make me mental.

It's so cold here, but here you are, so full of energy. I guess you kids are made tougher than people my age.

Alright, a great reward for coming here. That no one can use... well maybe Pop could...

Veilstone City

Only been bugging me for the past 9 updates, what of it? Here's how you get Munchlax, since trading over a Snorlax and then breeding is sooooooooo much better than trying to catch one.

I don't know what they do, but those are some mighty impressive antennae! Hey! It's you! I bet you don't remember me, but I sure remember you! Because of you, they took my CLEFAIRY away... my partner called it quits and went back to his old country... waah! I know nothing! I don't know anything about any Storage Key!

Looker Encounter

The Storage Key for entering the Team Galactic hideout, I have right here. A frontal assault, it is not possible. But we can enter their hideout. Well? Will you enter the hideout? You have your reasons, yes? Very well. Inside the Team Galactic warehouse. We will meet there. Prepare the best you can. I shall join you shortly.

Whoops I thought this was on the other side, no matter. That Grunt dropped the Storage Key in DP, but it was only used for one thing, so it's no longer a Key Item in Plat. Well it is, but Looker has it now, we can't get it otherwise.

I will use this Storage Key I have obtained from Team Galactic... ...ker-chunk! Yes! It is opened! I will go on ahead, my friend. Do not expose yourself to danger!

Oh hey, remember when we caught the version exclusive Murkrow and Misdreavus? Yes, that's right 16 updates ago. Well, congrats on carting them around for most of the game, now you can finally evolve them in DP. Wasn't that worth it?

Galactic Headquarters

Alright, it's infiltration time. We've done this before, lots of grunts, lots of floors, let's get started.

Hmm, we'll be back, end of current section.

As you might expect, the grunts don't have anything new, we've fought them plenty of times already, hell, the only evolved Pokemon they use is Golbat. It's a shame, even with the expanded dex, they only add in Houndour for some variety.

"same anymore."

Like, you characters changed the, well, character of the place!

Without our special card key, you're not going to get very far. Well, non-Team Galactic member? What's your next move?

I'm the gruntiest of the grunts! It's my fault, though, I still don't know how the warp panels connect.

In our HQ, we get around by taking warp panels. I'd like to see you figure out how they connect.

Evil teams like their weird panels, but it's not very complicated.

In fairness to some of them, they're not high enough level to evolve Glameow. Yes, still.

Losing sets me back to square one... I'll probably get busted down to the gruntiest of the grunts... humph!

We'll head up the stairs in a moment, but this is the optimal way to go, so let's get going.

Our boss is trying to create an entirely new world. A world only for us! For Team Galactic!

Oh hey it's a camrip of the Mewtwo movie remake. I'm sure we can download it into a rounded duck with no problems.

At the Galactic Veilstone Building, that much I'm sure about. Go in through the door beside the reception counter, I think it was? Uh? What'd I do with that key anyway? Where's it gone?

I do worry about these grunts sometimes. Like, are they okay? Is their mum proud of their new job? Anyway, let's backtrack a bit.

Now, if I was a comedy relief sort of bad guy, I'd tell you... but I really don't know!

You need to read the dramatic situation better here!

Hey, just because I haven't showered or eaten in 7 LPs doesn't mean you have to bring it up every 5 minutes!

Well that wasn't worth it.

Now for the real HQ.

Your trail blazing will go out in a blaze of glory right now!

You should be tired out by now. It's Team Galactic's turn to shine!

We literally go past the Pokemon Center on the way from the warehouse, so, uh, not feeling very tired.

So what, you have momentum... it's too late. The experiment's done!

Pokemon are that important to you? Is that what this is all about?

State-of-the-art audio & video system for member use only! Onward to a new universe! Team Galactic!

Ooh that could be scary.

Our boss is a scientific genius! He will make the power of mythical Pokemon his own!

Too bad I outspeed and 2HKO you.

Pokemon statue plate text no. 1 (from stolen plate): "The creation of DIALGA, the giver of time... in laughter, there is tears... and, likewise it is with time. The same time flows on. For it is the blessing of DIALGA."

Pokemon statue plate text no. 2 (from stolen plate): "The birth of PALKIA. The creator of parallel dimensions... alive, yet not alive... everything drifts in space... to arrive in the same universe. It is the blessing of PALKIA." The blueunderlined text has been extracted using a high-tech device made by the boss.

There's a few warps scattered around, the way forward is in the TV room.

The gathering of the Team Galactic... what is the meaning of it?

This world of ours is a crude one. In a word, it is incomplete. It has been, and always will be, a struggle to survive in this world. We humans and Pokemon are likewise incomplete. Because we are all so lacking, we fight, we maim... it is ugly. I hate the incompleteness. That we are all incomplete, I hate it with my entire body and being. The world should be complete. The world must change. Then, who will change it? Me, Cyrus. And Team Galactic. Yes, all of you.

Together we pored over myths and exposed their secrets. Together we captured legendary Pokemon. And now, Team Galactic has obtained the energy to change the world! The power of dreams is within our grasp! Understand it, fellow members! My long-hold dreamworld is on the verge of becoming reality. All those headed to Mt. Coronet, and those who remain here... though our missions may differ, our hearts beat as one. Let there be glory for Team Galactic!

Master Cyrus is the greatest!

So that was Cyrus, the boss of Team Galactic. Quite the performance, no? Mesmerizing for one only 27 years old. ...but to make a world for Team Galactic and none other? It is preposterous. So much so that it makes my head spin. A new world? What is that? And what is this incomplete world? Very well. To investigate such matters is the job of the International Police. Of which I am a member in good stead. And it is my job, therefore. We shall part ways here. Take extra care, my friend!

I need a nap after a speech like that.

Perfect, let's finish this place up!

"of Team Galactic HQ?"

Hey there, little Trainer! You're famous among Team Galactic. The order has been issued--we get a promotion if we put you down!

It doesn't matter what happens to the Team Galactic HQ building. Soon, all will belong to Team Galactic, anyway!

What's so special about you anyway? You're just like any other little kid Trainer you can find anywhere!

Three warps, which one is the way forward? It's the middle one. Overall, pretty smooth getting through here, since the grunts weren't much of note, but I do like their dialogue, so it wasn't all bad.

And we've made it to the top. We've got quite the tall challenge ahead. Next time, slalom!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Aug 9, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can never forget the gruntiest of the grunts. For some reason, his lines are etched in my brain.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Wow. I've tried using Froslass in some of my playthroughs, but never bothered to look at it's stats. Holy hell why are they so bad?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Candice was so focused that she dressed in anticipation of Platinum before it even came out.

Crosspeice posted:

Alright, it's Gengar time! Any second now. Just gotta wait for the evolution screen to pop up. It'll be an amazing trade that- okay, what the gently caress is going on.

I made it hold something that prevents it from evolving. Please treat me HAUNTER nicely! I'll be good to your MEDICHAM, too! Thanks to Pokemon, we got to be friends, didn't we?

Years later and I'm STILL angry about this. :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 9, 2019

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Kikas posted:

Wow. I've tried using Froslass in some of my playthroughs, but never bothered to look at it's stats. Holy hell why are they so bad?

Because it's a Glailie that took 10 points from its HP and defenses and put it all into speed?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Even Team Galactic knows the importance of having a nap room. If only every other organization out there would be so progressive and understanding

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 22: Peak Problems

Galactic Headquarters

Snicker... a big lie, of course. It's true insofar as my intention is to create a new world. But that world isn't for the likes of Team Galactic. I seek an entirely new world solely for myself. If not, it could never be the complete and perfect world. You've seen my minions of Team Galactic. You yourself must know that they are uniformly useless and incomplete.

It's about UXIE, MESPRIT, and AZELF, correct? You want to save them... I no longer have any need for them. I am finished with them. If your heart aches to save them, go right ahead. I couldn't care less. It will save me the trouble of disposing of them. But, I must say... you are a remarkable specimen. Those Pokemon have nothing to do with you, do they? But still, you came to rescue them out of pity? Such pitifully useless emotions... it's illogical and irrational. Pity and compassion are products of the weak and faulty human heart. You were compelled to come here by such vacuous sentimentality! I will make you regret paying heed to your heart!

Galactic Boss Battle

Finally, we're facing Cyrus for the first time, can't believe it took this long! His team isn't massively amazing, you can assume we'll fight him again, so Huevo can clean house.

Congrats on dragging a fragile crow around for most of the game, your reward is pretty drat worth it. While it's pretty slow, drat does it hit hard, even moreso with Nasty Plot at 35, an easy relearn since you went past that two Gyms ago. The moves are kind of a letdown, only really having Wing Attack and Faint Attack, but Night Slash is very shortly coming up and you can get some special coverage like Shadow Ball, Psychic and Steel Wing, or even Air Cutter. Sucker Punch from tutors is also a good idea due to how slow you are, but no Brave Bird here, or Dark Pulse until Victory Road. It requires a bit of work, but definitely worth it.

It hits real hard, but easy enough to take out.

And the basis of your power is your compassion toward Pokemon. ...how wasteful... such emotions are but mere illusions. And, like all illusions, they fade over time until death banishes them forever. That is why I have abandoned all emotions as useless sentimentality. ...but that doesn't matter. I doubt you will ever understand my position. That said, I recognize that you are strong and courageous to come alone. This is your reward.

It will unfailingly catch any Pokemon in the wild. But it is not anything that I require. Unlike you Trainers, I do not make Pokemon my friends or partners. Unlike other Team Galactic members, I don't use Pokemon as tools. Instead, I make the power of Pokemon my own.

I am off to Mt. Coronet. I will ascend the mountain to its peak where destiny awaits me. It is there that I will create my new world...

Climbing a giant mountain, doesn't that sound fun. Let's distract ourselves with some repor- ew, Linux? That explains everything.

The Creation of Space: Some say the universe originated from a massive explosion. Similarly, Sinnoh is thought to have been formed by an explosion in ancient times. Needless to say, the explosion came from the power of a Pokémon. The Pokémon must have been the mythical creature considered a deity by the ancients. Our aim is not to capture the mythical Pokémon, but to obtain its power...

The mythical Pokémon... According to myths, the Pokémon created Sinnoh with its power. However, capturing the Pokémon with a Poké Ball prevents it from using its full power... But with the Red Chain, the Pokémon can be shackled, and its power can be used without restraint...

The Red Chain... The Pokémon of the three lakes and Mt. Coronet are somehow connected. Capturing the Pokémon of the lakes will free the Pokémon of Mt. Coronet. From the Pokémon of the lakes, crystals can be extracted to create a Red Chain. Using that Red Chain, the mythical Pokémon can be summoned and shackled to do as we command...

Must be nice having a raised podium just outside your office.

Also incredibly important to obtain, because who doesn't love hidden evolution items? Nack will need this, but it was only evening when we entered, we haven't been here that long, right? Alright, on to saving the lake trio, I'm sure they're fine.

Deep Laboratory

You know, for kids!

Following orders is never an excuse.

Those Pokemon of the lakes, where do you suppose they would go?

What are you trying to say?

Nothing. Pay it no heed. A new world isn't overly interesting. What of it? If Cyrus is right, then Team Galactic will rule that new world. That's when it will be interesting. A chance to enjoy its sweets. I surely hope that our visionary Cyrus realizes his dream. I look forward to whatever our beloved leader has planned atop Mt. Coronet.

Gramps. Our boss can do without your kind of moral support.

...though it's nothing new, I can't say I understand our boss... why would he let a kid like you come and go freely...? We, Team Galactic, take all that we need, and eliminate what we do not. But anyway. You've taken the trouble to come. Let me welcome you! Consider it payback for your insulting me at the lake.

Our last fight against Saturn isn't massively interesting, since he's only four levels higher than last time. Also we've faced these same Pokemon like 25 times already!

Still scary, but similarly fragile.

Fine... do whatever you want with those three Pokemon. Press the button on that machine to set them free.

Humph, Saturn and even Cyrus fall to a mere child... Team Galactic's state of affairs is worrying... that plan of Cyrus's atop Mt. Coronet, too... who knows if it will work. ...hmm. Perhaps another options needs to be considered. One benefitting the genius of Charon!

Press the button and set them free. Isn't that why you came?

Our boss crafted a Red Chain from crystals he took from the three Pokemon. That Red Chain is what he needed to shackle something on Mt. Coronet. It's also apparently needed for creating something. But that's all I know. Who knows what he's planning to do up there.

The green warp panel returns you to the ground floor. Onward to a new universe! -Team Galactic

Well wasn't that a barrel of laughs. There's nothing else to do but get supplies and head towards the big bad mountain.

Route 211 Night

Alright we'll do a couple of things on the way. It's right there after all!

Uh-oh... was I supposed to go up from the Oreburgh City side? Maybe I wasn't supposed to climb from the Eterna City side? Oh, didn't I need hidden moves like Surf, too?

Okay we actually go in from the south entrance, but whatever, this guy has been taunting us long enough.

Here's good advice from the Echo Man! If you're at a loss as to where you should be going, check the Town Map!

Mt. Coronet

Alright, let's get going. I hope you like hidden items.

Also HMs, I hope you like those.

But that was quick, we've already reached the top!

Ah, just kidding, back in we go.

I won't question this architecture.

We always have Rock Tomb way too long, but unlike Wargreymon, Skulletor has the option to replace it before postgame!

A bridge too far...

Looker Encounter

There was once a cave painting that had blocked the way to the summit. But the wall, it is no longer there. It lies in pieces. Do you see? Ever since the three Pokemon of the lakes have been captured... something terrible is happening, but what exactly, I do not know. There is but one cause! Team Galactic's Cyrus! And now, we are all caught up. Now, to the next step. Are you Trainer enough to advance? Show me, if you will!

Hahaha! You can relax now. You see, I understand. You are far superior to me. As are the Commanders. Cyrus, too, naturally. Team Galactic is beyond my reach... please, you must stop them! For only you are able! All I can do now is give you this. It is a little something I obtained in an investigation long ago.

The way's clear, so there's no more distractions until the summit. Though we will, of course, be distracted by all manner of things. If you're curious, the wall painting is identical to the one in the Celestic Ruins and stops you from progressing before you take on Galactic HQ. A pretty important story detail, since it gives reason why Cyrus would want to destroy the one in Celestic Town as well, but I imagine only a handful of people have ever seen the wall painting.

Mt. Coronet

Going up and then down. Riveting content from yours truly, an LP superstar.

One, ensure the success of our operation at the summit. Two, utterly destroy any intruders to stop their meddling!

Join Team Galactic and then abide by our rules. That would solve all our problems!

While it's a shame that Team Galactic still won't have anything interesting for us to fight, it is nice they're keeping up in levels, this game has a real good level curve.

It's too late! No amount of desperation from a kid like you will make a difference!

Well if we just have a standard cave and endless grunts, then this won't be very exciting. But I'm glad it's not gonna get worse!

Dammit... but at least there's no deep snow, so it really isn't that bad.

We'll be hopping in and out of caves, but we'll have to come back here anyway with Waterfall. Joy.

The bing to your bong, Bronzor was a bit rough to raise, but Bronzong has a few things going for it. Its attacking stats are now passable and it'll definitely live a few hits, and its low Speed is benefited by Gyro Ball. Otherwise you can guess what it does, it can relearn Sunny Day and Rain Dance, so those could be options, and it learns a fair few TMs, but it might not be the best recipient. Extrasensory and Gyro Ball are good bases, but you'll need Earthquake to break past other Steel types. Maybe you can be fancy with Charge Beam or Grass Knot? It's got something to talk about, at least.

Ah jeez, the wind makes this place ten times worse! gently caress it's cold.

Well there's the cause for the endless hail.

Also ow.

Ooh, what a choice, go through the grass with a Repel, or use a HM. Also just assume I have to break 5 rocks to get to any hidden item.

This is also the first place we can catch Medicham, but I preferred my earlier method.

It's a good thing we spent so long in the HQ, because it's night time and Nack just got a level.

Faster than a speeding bullet, Weavile is such an easy choice, having all its tools nice and early, though we'll relearn Night Slash later, wanted to make this all natural. If it can survive a couple hits, then it'll outspeed and slice through a lot of things, including some fierce Psychic or Dragon types. Hmmmmmmm. With Brick Break, Aerial Ace, Shadow Claw and X-Scissor, you'll find what your team is missing and you can even Surf on it! I'm not joking, but we won't be doing that. Overall, a very delicious option that absolutely dies to anything, just how I like it.

Another hidden evolutionary item, ah ah ah.

It doesn't matter if you're an adult or a kid if you have Pokemon... Pokemon are the equalizers. I should have realized sooner...

Ah crap, back out into the cold already? I'd only just started warming up!

Here's a side cave, you might miss it completely.

Our team is getting pretty dang terrifying. Usually I use the various stat boosts and Rare Candy at the end to make sure everyone's as strong as they could be, but considering the power creep we're experiencing, I don't think we need to.

The closer you are to the peak, the closer you are to space! Soon, Team Galactic will... uh... Team Galactic will achieve greatness!

You might have noticed another Rock Climb down, but we'll use it soon enough. You'd also think there's a hidden item behind those smashable rocks and there is... in DP.

I hope I'm breaking hearts being successful at LPs, ladies.

Someone's joy is another person's sorrow. Everyone be happy and laughing? How ridiculous! Team Galactic should be doing all the laughing!

It's actually scary how many hidden items I've never known about. At least that changed next game when the Itemfinder became usable while moving, revelutionary.

Mt. Coronet... I might be just a grunt, but even I can tell it has a weird energy!

Alright we're at the bottom, this better be worth it.

This is a bit annoying, but there's a good reason he's standing there, since if you're a dumb kid you could end up back at the middle entrance of the mountain and have to do this all over again.

And back outside.

Another hidden evolutionary item and an avoidable boulder, yep, this sure is Mt. Coronet.

Alright we're basically done with this area. Minus one thing.

Only in this outside section at a 5% rate, Absol is a pain to find, but good to use. An early Swords Dance and Sucker Punch are nice, but it'll be 52 before you finally get Night Slash and 60 for Psycho Cut. Hrm. Thankfully there's Zen Headbutt tutor and plenty of TMs, including Rock Slide, X-Scissor and Shadow Claw, to keep you hitting hard, before finally getting some good physical STAB. Miracles do happen.

But here I am dealing with some pesky intruder. You're spoiling the atmosphere. You can lose quickly, right?

All my excitement's gone now... this whole Mt. Coronet trip is too rough, long, and draining...

Well the heavier concentration of grunts means we're nearly there. It's definitely a long road, don't let my abridged version fool you, half of this trip has been smashing rocks.

...is our boss about to ditch us and claim everything for himself?

Alright, the exit is right there. Would be real nice if you had some Rock weak Pokemon.

We couldn't stop you... we'll be discarded as useless... our boss is ruthless that way...

Just before the summit is the highest chance of finding the chime. Happiness evolutions are annoying, but at least we've got this reward! Er, well, it'll be stuck with Confusion for a very long time, we only recently got Psychic after all, but at least you'll have Psywave and.. Double-Edge. With 50 Atk. Sigh. Shock Wave and Shadow Ball it is. There really is nothing else to mention, it'll do alright once it gets some good moves, it just... doesn't really get them.

Anyway, that was fun, where were we?

Spear Pillar

Oh yeah, the end of the universe.

Don't get in the way! Of course you will, won't you?

That's why the two of us will team up to take you down in an epic duel!

Farewell Galactic Grunts, it was... cat.

We are not capable of slowing you.

We will let you pass so you can get pulverized by our bosses!

If you're not going to listen, you'll have to go through me first. After all, you've made me look bad more times than I care to remember!

And I'll be next. You might be tough, but this time, the gloves are coming off!

Huh?

Remember me? I'm here to get my revenge!

Ha! If it isn't that little boy. The little crybaby from Lake Acuity. Did you toughen up a bit? Sure, let's battle two-on-two!

Galactic Commander Battle

Woah, it's a tag battle with Barry! We're both using our full teams, which is kinda unfair, but not really, we need to faint this Munchlax asap.

Yeah, these Bronzor don't do much, but they're still a pain. Especially since they get screens up immediately.

Yeesh, that's without Heatproof and being weak to Psychic is a problem. Purugly has no place in this battle, Barry's team eats it alive.

Ah dammit guess we'll have to deal with that. Huevo has held on pretty well, but one strong Pokemon is all is needed to take him down.

Like that, that Reflect is a real pain.

Thankfully Barry is a very useful shield, so that Golbat is outta here.

Uh, mostly outta here. drat Reflect.

Why? Thanks, but why does it know Iron Tail?

Alright, good work Barry, you, uh, contributed in your own way.

Spear Pillar

I can get even tougher! ...but, you know, that's it for us. We've hit a wall... Hikari, I'll help you with this!

No problem! I know how this goes, he'll summon a legendary and the lake trio will calm it down. Easy time.

Now, all will end. And everything will begin. With this, the Red Chain made from the crystals of the three lake Pokemon... and this, the Red Chain I replicated with technological means... with these Red Chains I will pry open the portal to another dimension. I command that you unleash your power for me...

DIALGA, the mythical Pokemon, and the master of time! ...and the other. PALKIA, the mythical Pokemon, and the master of space and dimensions!

Legendary Pokemon

Ah, two of them. This is bad.

Shaping this world is a double spiral of time and space. Yes, the very things that you have the ability to control! You will do my bidding! I will have your abilities as mine! With the power I wield, I will create an entirely new world! The incomplete and ugly world we have can now disappear. I am resetting everything to zero. Nothing can remain. It is all for making the ultimate world. A world of complete perfection. Nothing so vague and incomplete as spirit can remain.

Lake Trio

UXIE, "The Being of Knowledge." AZELF, "The Being of Willpower." And MESPRIT, "The Being of Emotion"...

It takes the three of them, the three lake Pokemon that symbolizes sprit, to balance either the Pokemon of time or space. But they can't maintain the balance against the two. Not when both DIALGA and PALKIA are here. Their coming here is in vain. So much meaningless drama. Now, Hikari. You've constantly interfered with my plans, but you will be forgiven. After all, there will remain no spirit for all time when I am done. All spirit will disappear. It will be ripped away... from you! From your Pokemon! From those precious to you...! It is time! My dream will be a reality!

Giratina Appears

So, there is a Pokemon that can only appear as a shadow.

Regardless, the effort is rash and foolish. I have harnessed the powers of DIALGA and PALKIA...

Plan Setback

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That cutscene with Giratina spooked me when I was a kid. I love how Cyrus just seems so wholly unimpressed by it, though.

Crosspeice posted:

You've seen my minions of Team Galactic. You yourself must know that they are uniformly useless and incomplete.

:allears:

Crosspeice posted:

Finally, we're facing Cyrus for the first time, can't believe it took this long!

Also, as it's difficult for me to read sarcasm over the internet, I'm assuming this is a Diamond and Pearl joke.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 13, 2019

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Holy hell that's spooky

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kikas posted:

Holy hell that's spooky

You should see it in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1TNUPLXLqA&t=135s

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm absolutely not a fan of Mount Coronet. It's long, it's confusing, it isn't even difficult, it's just tedious. At least the payoff definitely works, a double battle against admins, then just a bunch of legendaries pouring in at once in a pretty insane moment. Cyrus being completely deadpan at everything is hilarious too.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kikas posted:

Holy hell that's spooky

I've never reached this part of Platinum! It's really effective and definitely spooky.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Jesus. :stonklol:

Also lol at him just loving giving you the Master Ball like ten minutes before he's going to really, really wish he had one.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

The giratina cutscene, complete with it being so uniformly wrong to standard reality that it causes the architecture to warp and distort around it is A+

also I like that Cyrus is just like "pssh, I already have these two legendaries under my control, you're too late to stop me, shadow," not realizing that stopping poo poo like what he's trying to pull is essentially Giratina's entire job description. (at least, according to its movie)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

And here's how things shook out in the anime! Thank you bulbapedia & serebii for having the million images I wanted except good quality Cyrus going crazy passionate

Team Galactic & Spear Pillar
So while Team Rocket (as in, the actual team and not Jessie & James) mostly just existed in the first few seasons as a periodic excuse for a 2 episode plotline and Team Magma/Aqua were periodic appearences working towards something, Galactic felt like the one that had the msot effort put into them. They first show up at episode 35 but then make frequent appearences that are all clearly interlocking and building to something. I think it works the best of the assorted evil team plots.

Their overarching goal is the exact same (summon some box legends, make a new world) but their plans are a bit more involved. They need the Adamant & Lustrous Orbs, a special Key that opens the way, the power of the Veilstone meteors, creating the Red Chain, and the lake legendaries.

Their first attempt at the Adamant Orb has them trusting Team Rocket. Which fails. So they just clown on them all the time moving forward, causing a one-sided rivalry moving forward. This episode has Saturn in it but he doesn’t say anything. Later on the Adamant Orb is moved to where they find the Lustrous orb and they stage a 2 episode heist to get both. It involves taking down a cargo plane, it’s pretty cool.

The Lustrous orb is, in-universe recently found in the Celestic Town ruins. Celestic Town in the anime is a more standard town rather than a more rural village, incidentally. This is where we meet Cyrus, like in the games. Unlike the games we meet him as a civilian

Which works a load better, honestly. In the anime they have him put on a nice front billionaire historian who has funded most of Sinnoh’s buildings, libraries and other such activities. Presumably this lets him get closer to things that advance his goal and god, yes, this is so much better and an easier sell than what XY tried to do with Lysandre. I mean he’s still not super subtle in his uhhh………

passion…….

Anyway he goes the location of the Lustrous Orb to subtly help out openly-Galactic admins and grunts steal it by taking advantage of his position to get it out in the opening at the time Galactic is doing some terrorism. After some impassioned speeches and dabbling with Team Rocket, Galactic manages to succeed.

The other part of their plan is to locate Spear Pillar using this thing, the Spear Key

It’s located in Solaceon Ruins as a mysterious cube guarded by the Unown. The episode they get it is pretty trippy, the Unown use their reality warping powers to alter the dimensions of the ruins into an escher maze. After that they take it to the Veilstone meteors because the power of those react with the cube to unfold it into the key you see above. And what THAT does is act as a compass that points at the location of Spear Pillar, the Orbs, and other stuff related to the legendary Pokemon, with the ultimate goal of gathering everything needed to use the Key to unlock the entrance. It’s all very involved.

If you were wondering, Spear Pillar isn’t just atop Mt. Coronet. It’s literally hidden, buried under layers of rock and in this big orb. Kind of a weird change but it let Galactic be more involved by searching for it so I think it works. Incidentally, the way into Spear Pillar forms steps similar to the Hall of Origin.

So the orbs are considered to literally be Dialga & Palkia (kind of similar to Reshiram/Zekrom hmm) and they’re needed alongside the lake guardians to bring out their power and summon forth the other 2. Interestingly the original plan wasn’t to just steal them it was for Mars, Saturn & Jupiter to synch with them (instead that went to Ash, Dawn & Brock). Also there is a lot of added nonsense going on here: the Galactic Bomb (made from the meteors as well) is powerful enough to do dimensional damage, breaking through to where the lake guardians are and forcing them properly into our world. To help make things go smoothly they call in one of the anime’s more interesting original additions, Hunter J.

Hunter J is so cool, she’s a high tech pokemon thief who has a bunch of crazy gadgets to capture and imprison Pokemon in bronze before selling them to her clients or highest bidders. She shows up a fair bit throughout the series and is generally shown as capable, confident and comes very close to succeeding in just about everything she does; at least once she backs off not because she was going to lose but because the client backed out.

Also she loving dies

During the capture of the guardians Mesprit & Uxie send a Future Sight into the future to blow up & sink her jet plane into the lake and the last shot is this: it slowly sinking down, the glass around the ship shatters as water rushes in and her glasses rise up before it explodes. They never say she (& her entire crew!) dies, of course, but….

The climax of this was a pretty big deal at the time. They really advertised it a lot in Japan and the finale’s 3 episodes (finding spear pillar & finalizing the red chain, capturing the guardians, the events at spear pillar) were aired all at once. To quickly summarize, after getting the guardians they use fragments of the red chain to control them using a gauntlet, rather than using them to make the red chain, they use the Key to open the way to Spear Pillar, place the orbs and guardians to “use the infinite one’s” power alongside the two Red Chains to open portals to Dialga & Palkia and pull them out. At that point the red chain transforms into Arceus’ mandala conscripting the two as the clouds and such swirl around the mountain like in the games.

Although Cynthia & the gang manages to free the guardians and break the machines to cut off the connection, the red chain mandalas, which contains the “original powers” still allow Cyrus to draw the 2 out completely and start creating Cyrus’ new universe as destructive storms start raging around coronet. While Cyrus is destracted they manage to break the rings but uhhh.

He basically gets what he wanted. As the portal begins to fade, he throws himself into it, leaving everyone behind (who weren’t going to be allowed in anyway). Mars doesn’t take it lightly. But things aren’t wrapping up because now Dialga & Palkia are still mad, their powers are interacting and you would think this would be where Giratina comes into play what with the Giant Ominous Red/Black Portal To the Beyond

But instead of that happening, the guardians team up with Ash/Dawn/Brock to synch their hearts and:
-seal off that other world
-calm Dialga/Palkia long enough to stop making things worse
-open the portal to Dialga/Palkia’s worlds and send them back

Effectively, the anime’s resolution is what happens if the guardians were successful at stopping Dialga & Palkia’s rampage instead of Giratina coming in to fix their mess.

As for the wrap up, they catch and arrest the other commanders and Ash & friends return to their journey. Just like the games! Except Charon, who just sort of disappears. You’d think there would be an arc with him at Stark Mountain but no! He’s just gone and Stark Mountain doesnt even show up in the anime. Bizarre, considering Buck does appear later just not at the Battle Zone.

Also odd is Barry is not involved at all. Cynthia is the one at the actual mountain, along with Looker, while Gary is the one trying to run interference near the lakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I dunno if I'd say !Anime Cyrus really got what he wanted. He got his new universe, but he basically just jumped into the empty void of space, and if for whatever reason that didn't kill him, that dimension gets wiped out of existence shortly afterwards. It didn't get "sealed off", it just vanished. They made a point of saying that only one dimension can exist at once, and the old one was basically being ripped apart by the mere existence of Cyrus' new one, so that's why they have to delete it.

It was a really good arc, actually. J and Cyrus both die, which is a big deal for the Pokemon anime. It is the resolution to stuff that had been building the whole D/P anime, like Brock's Croagunk (One of the best characterised Pokemon the anime has ever had) finally getting revenge and taking out Saturn's Toxicroak.