Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
FFG would probably just use a new 40k line based on WanG or w/e as an excuse to put out another weird system based on proprietary dice that somehow combines the problems of crunchy and narrativist systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

It is absolutely true that percentile systems are the best way to do any kind of Warhammer.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I'm on board with the D100 still, I just wanna steal some of the learnt stuff from WFRP4e to cut down in whiffing and miss-time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

and it's your job, as the ruler of a lost dynasty, to convince the humans you're not all like that and you'd be a better ruler than this "Emperor"

The 'emperor' is apparently pretty corpselike. I reckon that if I find the right corpse to drape around myself I could just impersonate him.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Are there any good examples of "unique" skitarii armies? Browsing the wikis, it seems like they're supposed to be as varied as the imperial guard regiments but the ones I find seem to be just copies of the standard Mars ones.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 29, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We know that new stuff is coming for both Wrath and Glory and Fantasy 4e pretty soon. Along with Soulbound the Age of Sigmar RPG.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Lone Badger posted:

The 'emperor' is apparently pretty corpselike. I reckon that if I find the right corpse to drape around myself I could just impersonate him.

Everyone goes along with it because the new Emperor is significantly less murderous than the old one. The skin-tithe happens once every century now, gotta like those odds.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

MizPiz posted:

Are there any good examples of "unique" skitarii armies? Browsing the wikis, it seems like they're supposed to be as varied as the imperial guard regiments but the ones I find seem to be just copies of the standard Mars ones.

I think this got axed with a cog-shaped power axe when Skitarii appeared on the tabletop. Still kinda sad about it.

FFG should never get 40K back. The books were oozing with premise and atmosphere, but dogshit as far as rules and their placement in the book were concerned.

WanG is just a sad, lovely looking good with bad math. I don't have anything against D6 pools, tho.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I still like the idea of FFG's Genesys (Star Wars/ WFRP 3 "narrative dice" system) for 40K. They could have eventually dumped the system they inherited from the Black Industries game and gone down that road.

This homebrew poo poo has had a slick new version since the last time I brought it up in here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/266319-second-edition-release-dark-heresy-warhammer-40000-in-genesys/

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Big Dark Heresey bundle at humble bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-40000-dark-heresy-rpg-books?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2. $18 gets you the complete 2nd edition line plus most of the 1st edition supplements.

neaden fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 14, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

neaden posted:

Big Dark Heresey bundle at humble bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer-40000-dark-heresy-rpg-books?hmb_source=navbar&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=tile_index_2. $18 gets you the complete 2nd edition line plus most of the 1st edition supplements.

Do this for Rogue Trader you cowards

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

neaden posted:

loving noice.

Hey, since I'm the only person running PbP games I may as well judge some interest in a couple pbp game ideas I have.

1. Only War Skittari regiment game. Been playing a lot of the Mechanicus tactical game (it is quite good) and they do a lot to present the Skittari as more flesh and blood than i thought they were, and i kind of want to explore that.

2. Deathwatch game that takes place in the Imperium Nihilus. While you would be Deathwatch, the particular force is made up of marines from chapters that are isolated from reinforcement. Basically made up of companies or strike forces that were cut off from their home worlds and once they got whittled down to individual squads or marines, joined Deathwatch. This would be before papa smurf punched thorough with the primaris reinforcements.

If either or both of those sound like something you'd like to do pbp say so and if there is enough interest I'll put up a recruit thread.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Apparently my players think that having a Firestorm Frigate and an Inquisitorial Interrogator on board is enough to get them everything they want from any Imperial organization that they come across and have the Imperials ignore the xenos in the party.

They’re about to try to use this to get whatever they want out of a paranoid planetary governor who’s running a secure Penal World and thinks that he’s just discovered a lost DAoT colony and its STC which he plans on using to become filthy rich and/or famous. This Penal World is also the only Imperial presence in-system.

This ought to be interesting.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Werix posted:

loving noice.

Hey, since I'm the only person running PbP games I may as well judge some interest in a couple pbp game ideas I have.

1. Only War Skittari regiment game. Been playing a lot of the Mechanicus tactical game (it is quite good) and they do a lot to present the Skittari as more flesh and blood than i thought they were, and i kind of want to explore that.

2. Deathwatch game that takes place in the Imperium Nihilus. While you would be Deathwatch, the particular force is made up of marines from chapters that are isolated from reinforcement. Basically made up of companies or strike forces that were cut off from their home worlds and once they got whittled down to individual squads or marines, joined Deathwatch. This would be before papa smurf punched thorough with the primaris reinforcements.

If either or both of those sound like something you'd like to do pbp say so and if there is enough interest I'll put up a recruit thread.
Up for either.
I miss playing Deathwatch with you guys. Had a fun time playing the giant dumb jock Librarian. "They say ignorance is strength, and he is very strong."

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 16, 2019

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Werix posted:

loving noice.

Raven Guard Assault Marine. Has a rep for flying through impossible fire. Any chance we can try out the only astartes homebrew?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Werix posted:

loving noice.

Speaking as someone who doesn't PbP much, but really should on here - I'd be interested in either, but I freely admit 1) is my preference (because Mechanicus is indeed awesome and I like what you want to try with Skitarii).

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Only War: Skitarii sounds more interesting but either is good.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
more interested in only war than deathwatch

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I'm always down for anything but I'm actually ever so slightly inclined to Deathwatch. Skitarii would be great too, though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

PbP should be interesting.

More interested in Only War than Deathwatch, because I already have experience with playing a sub-optimally built character in DW.

Will the Skitarii be like they are now, or looser as when they didn't have miniatures yet and were supposedly as varied as the Guard regiments?

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
I'd love to try some pbp 40k RP - either sound good but Only War Skitarii would be an interesting twist

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Given how buff Only War characters can get with some xp and access to the Good poo poo, skitarii could be terrifying.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JcDent posted:

PbP should be interesting.

More interested in Only War than Deathwatch, because I already have experience with playing a sub-optimally built character in DW.

Will the Skitarii be like they are now, or looser as when they didn't have miniatures yet and were supposedly as varied as the Guard regiments?

So I want it to be more like how Skitarii are now. However, the old OW rules don't have rules for a lot of the new skittari weapons like phosphor blasters and arc guns, etc. So either I'd have to like homebrew all the weapons, or just use what OW already had. I'd be leaning toward the latter option, including having integrated weapons.

I might have it be the feel of the new Skittari with vanguard and rangers etc, but just not with regular mechanicus weapons for "reasons" maybe logistics related or due to the regiment's forge world doctrine.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hotshot lasguns Hellguns are good enough.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I think the Lathe Worlds supplement for Dark Heresy has a bunch of integrated weapons and other Mechanicus stuff, if that helps.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
If it's Skittari Skittari, I dunno. Second tier unit?
"The Liquidators", 7th Cohort of the 3rd Legion, mockingly called the "bio-robots" for their relative lack of equipment and augmetics?

A penal legion of captured stalkers is probably too far away from the concept, as is a bunch of Horizon Zero Dawn style Feral techpriests.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Preechr posted:

I think the Lathe Worlds supplement for Dark Heresy has a bunch of integrated weapons and other Mechanicus stuff, if that helps.

It does, and I'm going to pull heavily from it. However, that book was written before the modern Skitarii forces on tabletop so there are no rules for things like galvanic rifles, radium weapons, etc.

It can always be a "dark imperium is stretched for resources and so Skitarii is a really broad term" kind of thing.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Forge worlds were established during Old Night and isolated for thousands of years afterwards, they are weird as hell and don't have to conform too closely to how Mars is set up.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So, I made that game with Skitarii a thing.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Werix posted:

It does, and I'm going to pull heavily from it. However, that book was written before the modern Skitarii forces on tabletop so there are no rules for things like galvanic rifles, radium weapons, etc.

It can always be a "dark imperium is stretched for resources and so Skitarii is a really broad term" kind of thing.

yeah that definitely works

however I will say that (while I don't want to talk it up too much, both because I haven't used it and because it was written by channers) a number of people on /tg/ already did extensive conversion work of that sort of material for Rogue Trader/Only War, and you can probably save significant time by using it as a source of inspiration

there are newer versions floating around if you go to the source, but this Reddit post from 2017 has them all condensed in a single non-chan location: https://www.reddit.com/r/40krpg/comments/6s8tg3/a_huge_bunch_of_homebrew_books_for_rogue_trader/

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 19, 2019

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I generally use https://www.40krpgtools.com/ to look up the sources for any official rules on various shite, but a lot of homebrew stuff is out there of varying quality. I tend to look at what other people have done, compare actual 40k stat blocks for various weapon types and try to come up with something that isn't insane and likely to kill all the players in one shot.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Cubicle7 just unveiled their new Wrath and Glory Revised cover. It looks loving great.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Cubicle7 just unveiled their new Wrath and Glory Revised cover. It looks loving great.

Indeed much better than the old one.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hiro Protagonist posted:

My buddy was asking Cubicle 7 about the game at Gencon and I feel like it's in good hands. They were very adamant about giving it some improvement and were giving out a code for a free copy of the old edition.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cover much better, even while featuring a primarine.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

My buddy was asking Cubicle 7 about the game at Gencon and I feel like it's in good hands. They were very adamant about giving it some improvement and were giving out a code for a free copy of the old edition.

Yeah, I didn't talk to the Cubicle 7 guys, but WandG had a very prominent place at their booth. The interesting thing was it also had a prominent place at the Ulysses booth. They must have been liquidating their stock.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I want to believe that Cubicle 7 is going to come out with a good version of Wrath and Glory, and I'm sure it will be a better version then the current, but I just don't know if it will be worth playing. There is so much wrong with the game, including some fundamental stuff like the tier system. I'm worried we'll end up with a game that has decent layout, good art, but is still worse then the FFG versions which I don't even like that much.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

neaden posted:

I want to believe that Cubicle 7 is going to come out with a good version of Wrath and Glory, and I'm sure it will be a better version then the current, but I just don't know if it will be worth playing. There is so much wrong with the game, including some fundamental stuff like the tier system. I'm worried we'll end up with a game that has decent layout, good art, but is still worse then the FFG versions which I don't even like that much.

Same

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
At least the new W&G cover is a proper group shot rather than the original cover where none of the shadows agreed and nothing looked cohesive.

But it's still going to be "40k Superfriends". FFG for all their faults at least didn't try to mash absurdly different power levels into one party (Black Crusade could be done that way but didn't have to be).

I haven't tried to run W&G on Roll20 largely because I haven't seen reviews that were positive without seeming like payola.

:shrug:

Also, the Humble Bundle is great (and towards a good cause) and I'm glad to say it doesn't look to even be watermarked but:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Do this for Rogue Trader and Only War you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

But it's still going to be "40k Superfriends". FFG for all their faults at least didn't try to mash absurdly different power levels into one party (Black Crusade could be done that way but didn't have to be).

I mean, that's a complicated problem with the setting and the absurd difference between a normal person VS something like a space marine, or a typical inquisitor or w/e VS what the heights of power in the setting actually are

My group seldom sticks with one game and setting long enough to explore different facets of it, so when I say something like "let's check out this 40k game", I've got five people and one of them wants to be an Ultramarine, one of them wants to be an Eldar psyker, one of them wants to be a rogue trader, and the other two are looking forward to being hive gangers or guardsmen who get shot in the head with a bolter the first night. Everyone's "fantasy" is so different that they're fundamentally incompatible, like if I proposed an LOTR game and one guy wanted to be a Middle Earth Wizard and another wanted to play a Hobbit carrot farmer.

It makes writing a game with a strong identity and a system robust enough to let those guys be allies harder, but at the end of the day I also get why someone would try or want that. I've never understood where people even dig up groups to play months-long games in some of the strangely specific concept RPGs out there. But I do see why it's a problem; part of why D&D's never been a great system is that it always tries to square guys who want a gritty, misery porn dungeon crawling game where everyone counts ammo and rations with guys who want to play the high fantasy adventures of Mary Sue and Chad Stu, Elven Archmages, as they conquer the multiverse and give both groups what they want within one system.