Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zore posted:

If you're on Normal you get a free battle. You also get a number of action points you can spend on battles that depends on your Professor rank. Starts at 1 and goes to 2 at C+ and 3 at A+ iirc

That's the thing, I've already done TWO free battles and a third is now available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I'm also very :psyduck: about how Leonie seems younger than Byleth, was Jeralt's apprentice some... time in the past? and they have never met before? Obviously Byleth's past is supposed to be a mystery, we'll find out he wasn't really raised by Jeralt, is actually a homonculus, or something. But I would think that least other characters might mention how weird that is.

Also the RNG gods have decided Leonie is an absolute murderer in my game, stats, crits, all the time. I put her on flying duty every week with Marianne or Claude, makes great Peg knight with both Bow and Spear options.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The game explains everything, it's actually kind of incredible. Even minor things like why Edelgard and Lysie both have white hair

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There’s a bunch of weird poo poo around Byleth that doesn’t check out. I’m glad that whatever is going on hasn’t been spelled out like in awakening or fates.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

When I do "support conversations" (Im not sure what these are called) - basically a menu that comes up with all the characters and all the characters they can talk to - are these limited? Can I only do one or two per chance I get to do them? Sorry if this is confusing, I'm not 100% sure what that menu is called.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I like how Byleth being a silent protagonist is like, a character trait that people comment on as unsettling

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a set number to aim for when raising byleth stats for recruitment? I can't find anything other than just raising the Stat in general.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

karma_coma posted:

When I do "support conversations" (Im not sure what these are called) - basically a menu that comes up with all the characters and all the characters they can talk to - are these limited? Can I only do one or two per chance I get to do them? Sorry if this is confusing, I'm not 100% sure what that menu is called.

They're not time limited, you just gotta unlock them. Whenever hearts appear you just gained support points

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a set number to aim for when raising byleth stats for recruitment? I can't find anything other than just raising the Stat in general.

The system that I've found is that if you manage to have a C-rank support with a student, 15 in the relevant stat is enough for a recruit. At B-rank, 10 in a stat is enough. A-rank is an automatic join, and I've never bothered to recruit someone without getting them to C-rank, but the requirements are buckwild.

The ONLY exception to this rule I found was Felix, but I got him to B-rank support and he joined then.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

The higher the support, the lower the stat. I managed to get a couple of people (Ingrid esp) with a B rank and E+ Flying. I think E doesn't work even at B, but just putting like two professor training sessions gets you E+.

On another note, I've been hearing that NG+ has options to buy with renown like "keep your professor level" and so on. Can someone please
a) confirm this
b) give me the "shopping list" of features so I can tell how much renown I want to spend at the statues and how much I should save if I want a fully unlocked NG+

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm not anywhere close to the spoilery stuff yet and I'm already super happy with how they handled all of the weird plot bits. It's such a refreshing change of pace from Fates and even prior games. All of the unsettling weirdness around plot elements with Byleth and her dad and the church being inconsistent feels really gaslighty in a way that has me desperate to keep learning more so I can figure out what is really happening.

I loving love it and am so glad I'm going in mostly unspoiled. I have never been this invested in a Fire Emblem story.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Has anyone tried to recruit as many people from the same house as possible? I'm wondering if it's possible to totally decimate one of the houses ranks.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I love how good Edelgard is at naming things

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Has anyone tried to recruit as many people from the same house as possible? I'm wondering if it's possible to totally decimate one of the houses ranks.

Someone earlier posted they recruited everyone who wasn't gated by time or the plot.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

PantsBandit posted:

By the last month before part 2, I could've recruited everyone if I wanted to because I had so much excess activity points.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Shinji117 posted:

I managed to get a couple of people (Ingrid esp) with a B rank and E+ Flying. I think E doesn't work even at B, but just putting like two professor training sessions gets you E+.

I got Ingrid and Marianne with D+ flying/riding respectively at rank C Support with both. I think Flying, Support, Reason, and HeavyArmor have a half-level lower requirement than the other ones. So, for example, while I only had D+ Flying and got Mariella, I absolutely needed C-rank Bows for Mercedes, and C-rank Spears for Leonie.

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I've got all the units from EVERY house. It's only December.

The three-way battle was hilarious because 90% of the units were missing and so it was basically just Raphael in the middle of a field with a bunch of generic units

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

As Edelgard's, I've completely cleared out the Blue Eagles baring Dimitri and Dedue. I could probably clear out Golden Deer also right now just by giftbombing everyone left there up to B support, but I'm not all that interested in the characters I've left there, so eh. Might do it at the last possible moment, but honestly it'd only be to save their lives rather than to actually use em.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I got Ingrid and Marianne with D+ flying/riding respectively at rank C Support with both. I think Flying, Support, Reason, and HeavyArmor have a half-level lower requirement than the other ones. So, for example, while I only had D+ Flying and got Mariella, I absolutely needed C-rank Bows for Mercedes, and C-rank Spears for Leonie.
Probably sensible, given how the only way to raise the movement (Horse, Fly, Armor) is professor training as you can't use those classes to train the skill until you train the skill etc etc. I kinda wish in weekly tutoring-students section you gained a fraction of the student's points (maybe even just on Greats and Perfects?) from tutoring them as you learnt more about the subject from preparing to teach them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah I've definitely gotten the impression there are a ton of opportunities for influencing characters if you're buying every gift available and know who to give them to.

Generally I've found a good way to balance things out is implementing a "don't be creepy" rule on Byleth.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The august chapter was both really cool and also some gaiden rear end level design

it took me 18 turns to reach the boss and there was one long stretch of like 5 or 6 turns where i was doing *nothing* but moving to the boss

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bogart posted:

There’s a bunch of weird poo poo around Byleth that doesn’t check out. I’m glad that whatever is going on hasn’t been spelled out like in awakening or fates.

A lot of it is spelled out on one of the Black Eagle paths.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Shinji117 posted:

Probably sensible, given how the only way to raise the movement (Horse, Fly, Armor) is professor training as you can't use those classes to train the skill until you train the skill etc etc.

The other issue is that there's a lot of months where only one professor is around to teach you each skill. Like, you can learn Faith and Reason from 2/3 professors, but only one professor can teach you Flying and Riding

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I've definitely gotten the impression there are a ton of opportunities for influencing characters if you're buying every gift available and know who to give them to.

Honestly I didn't buy any gifts until November and I realized how easy it actually would be to get everyone. I barely did any powergamey poo poo, I just did explorations every weekend, did the free meal and choir practice every day, then spent the rest of my time on gaining stats. I gardened every day but that's free, and the fertilizer is paid for by the students doing group work. In total I spent maybe 3500 gold on gifts, and it was all in Nov/Dec just because I didn't want to wait any more to say that I'd done it when it was so clear that I was close.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 30, 2019

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I saw there's an autobattle option; would that handle turns where the only course of action that makes sense is to charge ahead?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Shortest Path posted:

Axes. He turns into an extremely solid Warrior.

I have unlocked the hidden potential ability for every one of my units so far and havent had a single regret. They seem to always end up monsters.

Axes seem a little wasted on Claude imo when

He already has talent in swords and also gets a sword hero relic

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So do battle quests like "Banish the Bandits" expire like paralogues? I am at a point where I am on the last day of this particular month, I want to do Ingrid and Dorothea's paralogue, but I also have this quest and I'm not sure if it'll expire at the end of the month or keep going until I get around to it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

rannum posted:

The august chapter was both really cool and also some gaiden rear end level design

it took me 18 turns to reach the boss and there was one long stretch of like 5 or 6 turns where i was doing *nothing* but moving to the boss
That the one with all the warp tiles? You must've done something wrong because I had gathered all the treasure and killed the boss in 12 turns. There was one point where a key was at the wrong spot and I had to spend an entire turn doing not much, but that's it.

For this dancing contest, does whoever I pick just win always, or is there some stats/skills consideration going on here?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Amppelix posted:

That the one with all the warp tiles? You must've done something wrong because I had gathered all the treasure and killed the boss in 12 turns. There was one point where a key was at the wrong spot and I had to spend an entire turn doing not much, but that's it.

For this dancing contest, does whoever I pick just win always, or is there some stats/skills consideration going on here?

from what I've read, Charm is the deciding factor. Whoever wins gets access to the dancer class

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Amppelix posted:

You need at least 13 charm but doing dance practice gives +5 so you're basically incapable of losing

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Dance contest is based on Charm, whoever you pick needs at least 13 to win but I made sure it was higher. Just to be safe.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I just made it to February which would be the last month before the time skip, I've finished all the paralogues I have access to, recruited everyone I wanted to, and my army are all capable of soloing the maps on their own. Nothing left to do but to skip this whole entire month :shrug:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Aww yeah, that's exactly enough to give my boy Ignatz (who I literally just recruited) the win

Although I might also give it to Flayn. I've already got an overwhelming abundance of mages in my roster so converting one of those into a less active role might be smart (and she could still heal)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

Aww yeah, that's exactly enough to give my boy Ignatz (who I literally just recruited) the win

Although I might also give it to Flayn. I've already got an overwhelming abundance of mages in my roster so converting one of those into a less active role might be smart (and she could still heal)

Small warning if you're on the Black Eagle route

Flayn leaves on one of the Black Eagle Paths so keep that in mind

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Making Flayn a dancer seems like a good idea because she's a good healer but her speed is just terrible, so having her able to dance people is a boon.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Amppelix posted:

Yeah my decision was basically "which of the eight priests in the game that it's too late to reclass do you want to convert into someone you could justify putting into the party"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

Small warning if you're on the Black Eagle route

Flayn leaves on one of the Black Eagle Paths so keep that in mind
Oh. Suppose that will have to wait until a later playthrough then.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Seems like (Black Eagle route) anyone who's part of the church will leave if you side with Edelgard. So no Seteth, Flayn or Catherine. Actually I'm not even sure if you can recruit Cath or Seteth at all on either route.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

just thinking but it was cool that the protag used the pulse to try and save their dad but also lame that they only tried it once and afaik only used it in that cutscene

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Seems like (Black Eagle route) anyone who's part of the church will leave if you side with Edelgard. So no Seteth, Flayn or Catherine. Actually I'm not even sure if you can recruit Cath or Seteth at all on either route.

Yeah

Black Eagles locks out Catherine, Seteth, Cyril and Annette's dad completely before the time skip. Flayn also leaves if you follow Edelgard.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I forgot to do the support convos and I'm on day one of part two. I hope I have time to build them all up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm really digging how what seem like they should be huge plot revelations are found in random supports, like flayn and linhardt's all but outright stating that flayn is saint cethleann