Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Not a Children posted:

This is one of those situations where the base salary kinda matters. Re: base comp going up 70%, Are we talking like 80k -> 135k or 200k -> 340k?

One offers a substantially different quality of life, the other is obviously very good but is of relatively less marginal utility. Doesn't sound like you're super hung up on making ALL THE MONEY so getting to 6.5 figgies might matter less to you than being challenged at your job

It kinda sounds like you're fed up with your current job, which plays into that as well. Do you realistically think they'd bring you to parity if you got to have the comp reevaluation? Do you think you'd get a counter if you tried to leave (and more to the point, would you realistically even consider taking it)? Do you see a way out of the logistical aspects of the job that are wearing thin?

i’ll be going from 115 base to 180-200 base

i’m not fed up with my job because i 100% knew what i was getting myself into by taking this. and i wasn’t even looking for another job when this recruiter found me. the only reason i talked to him in the first place was because he was upfront with what the job was, who it was for, and what the pay was going to be. the pay in particular is what got my attention.

i have no clue how my raise request is going to go. on the one hand they are totally clear headed about their position and know they need to keep the talent they have. on the other hand i could be way over-perceiving my position in the company and they don’t give a poo poo if i threaten to leave. idk.

as for the counter game no loving way. you probably missed my saga years ago in the cjs thread when i tried to play that and it blew up in my face big time. so i’m not doing that.

the hard parts of my job are fundamental to the job. there’s no getting around the travel. full stop, i either can do it and keep a stiff upper lip or this job isn’t for me. i can mostly deal with it i’ve just been unlucky and have drawn all customers that expect total onsite availability and have been willing to pay for it. that’s just bad luck. usually customers are just as likely to let you work full remote as they are wanting you to be onsite every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

to be clear if they come back with a middling raise then jumping ship wins by default. my hang up is mostly over if they give me a raise significant enough to put me roughly at parity with the other company. then idk what i’m gonna do

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
yeah after puzzling thru "will i get a 70% raise and continue my lifetime in hotels" you should start working out what to do in a unicorn robot uprising situation

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah I'd take the new job and never look back, they aren't gonna give you an 80k raise most likely

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If they valued you at 200k they would've given you 200k before now. Absolutely nothing of substance wrt how they value you has changed other than now they have to scramble to find a replacement and it's going to cost them more than a raise. Never take the counter unless it completely blows the other offer out of the water.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it's not even a counter, he's just asking for a raise in the normal context of growth

ain't gonna happen. since this is apparently the biggest problem on the horizon, i assume we've dealt with every genuine realistic contingency and we're just in fantasy land at this point

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

DrPossum posted:

Hey everyone, you may remember me from a few months ago bitching about my toxic work environment and quitting without a plan just to get away from it. I think I mentioned here that I did quit that way earlier this month which was a huge relief.

Just got a deec six figgie offer in a non figgieland locale. :)

gently caress you lovely former boss and gently caress interviewing for a few years hopefully

This post made me really happy and I wish for everyone in this thread to get this happy of an ending.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

JawnV6 posted:

it's not even a counter, he's just asking for a raise in the normal context of growth

ain't gonna happen. since this is apparently the biggest problem on the horizon, i assume we've dealt with every genuine realistic contingency and we're just in fantasy land at this point

what i'm telling myself is that my situation is mostly because i broke the golden rule of 'never say a number' when i first started here and that anchored me. now that i've been here for three years i've been able to work directly with most of the upper executives and am a known quantity this conversation over the raise should be able to happen. maybe. i give it long odds- maybe 1 in 4 chance that i'll get what i want. i know that they bend over backwards to keep the consultants that can perform and it may just be a matter of me making the right amount of noise. maybe.

the good news is that this won't be a repeat of my time at oracle. by the time the new company will be extending me an offer i'll either have the raise or i won't- so no need to deal with counters

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

poo poo happens. Do you know what your coworkers earn? When I quit my job I went through the whole "you tell me I'll tell you" routine with several people who were equal and perhaps slightly more senior than me, and what I found out is I was being underpaid relative to other employees, but not by much at all. The company was just really poo poo at paying a fair wage to people.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

management encourages us to use glassdoor and based on the number of submissions i think it's enough of a sample to get an accurate picture. right now it's saying the payscale for my title is $111k to $182k. i'm literally at the bottom

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

has anyone else got a recruiter hit from "wendy," the insultingly cloying ai chatbot?

it forces you to make canned friendly responses and is amazingly bad, I have a friend who's at the company who paying this garbage fire and I told them to yell at their recruiters because this poo poo was bullshit

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Remember: discussing pay and benefits in the US (and likely elsewhere) with your coworkers is 100% legal, and if HR gives you pushback, tell them that is a "protected employee action".

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

aeflux posted:

Applied for a job adjacent to what I am doing right now. Data/SQL architecture stuff.

Third interview scheduled for Aug 7 for this gig. They want a whole half day (!) for in-person interviews with their staff

Smaller company, 25 or so. Spoke with one of the team leads and he said it's been gangbusters and they need people. Pretty stoked that the cj pivot thing here might work out but I am fearful of a lowball offer. But based off their eagerness to interview/hire, the fact I already am employed somewhere else and how thin the job market is I can leverage all of that into a higher number. I hope.

I really hate to leave current job because it's so cush in terms of technical demands but I am miserable and there's absolutely no movement at all for furthering my career.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

iospace posted:

Remember: discussing pay and benefits in the US (and likely elsewhere) with your coworkers is 100% legal, and if HR gives you pushback, tell them that is a "protected employee action".

At my last job every year during bonus season they would give you a letter talking about how details of your compensation were confidential and that we were not to share that info. Before I left I dropped a tip in my departments anonymous feedback form citing the national labor relations act of 1935 letting them know that salary discussion was protected speech. This apparently escalated in a public way all the way to headquarters and the CEO, who wanted to know who left that tip. They no longer give out that letter with your bonus.

I also heard through the grapevine that a bunch of the newer hires at the headquarters passed around a spreadsheet with all of their salary and bonus information, and a lot of 3-5 year people found out they were making as much as the new grads. Management is way pissed off about this but can do nothing about it and a ton of young people are asking for more money. :unsmith:

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Asleep Style posted:

At my last job every year during bonus season they would give you a letter talking about how details of your compensation were confidential and that we were not to share that info. Before I left I dropped a tip in my departments anonymous feedback form citing the national labor relations act of 1935 letting them know that salary discussion was protected speech. This apparently escalated in a public way all the way to headquarters and the CEO, who wanted to know who left that tip. They no longer give out that letter with your bonus.

I also heard through the grapevine that a bunch of the newer hires at the headquarters passed around a spreadsheet with all of their salary and bonus information, and a lot of 3-5 year people found out they were making as much as the new grads. Management is way pissed off about this but can do nothing about it and a ton of young people are asking for more money. :unsmith:

this owns

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Asleep Style posted:

:hellyeah:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my company had an internal hackathon and at presentations one guy got up and said “i started a salary survey, here’s the link”

management is pissed. apparently they’re telling him that nobody cares about this stuff and he’s just causing trouble. fingers crossed for the hackathon vote, it’d be incredible if he won.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Remember: if you're not in a union, you're leaving money on the table.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

iospace posted:

It's even better than this: you have a right to use company-internal communications systems (eg internal email) to discuss this sort of thing. There's also rights to share information externally - the fact that the company pays you 14 dollars an hour cannot be confidential.

The same goes for working conditions - office environment, whether or not your manager yells at you frequently, etc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

isn't the penalty for exercising these rights getting fired and having to legal up to prove the company did A Bad, at potentially literally ruinous personal cost

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ciaphas posted:

isn't the penalty for exercising these rights getting fired and having to legal up to prove the company did A Bad, at potentially literally ruinous personal cost
Yup! The same goes for cases of wage theft.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

iospace posted:

at my last one on one with my boss, at the very end, he goes "oh, I have one more piece of feedback for you. I'm not telling you you can't, because it'd be illegal. I wouldn't tell you you can't. but just think about the context before you tell you coworkers your salary" kinda sucks, cause otherwise he's been a good boss

well, only 2 more weeks at this place

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Correct, usually in those cases it's hard to win a wrongful termination suit, unless you get lucky and have a pro bono lawyer. Thanks at will laws!

Conversely, it's hard for the company to deny you unemployment though in those cases, because usually they'll fire you without documenting any prior issues, and if you challenge them denying you, they'll drop it. Doesn't make up for the first though.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

all salaries in any company should be posted on a big board in the lobby

alternatively on sharepoint

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boiled Water posted:

alternatively on sharepoint

Especially the c-suite and VPs

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

iospace posted:

Especially the c-suite and VPs
needs to be total compensation, not just salary

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

iospace posted:

Correct, usually in those cases it's hard to win a wrongful termination suit, unless you get lucky and have a pro bono lawyer. Thanks at will laws!
This is also another reason to work for megafirm. A lot more lawyers will want to take up your case, especially if it leads to further business as the ones who got them (or even a class action)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

FMguru posted:

In Sweden the income tax returns are public information.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FMguru posted:

This

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

this is why i like glassdoor in the US because it so effectively short circuits americans’ inclination to not want to talk about that stuff

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

iospace posted:

Conversely, it's hard for the company to deny you unemployment though in those cases, because usually they'll fire you without documenting any prior issues, and if you challenge them denying you, they'll drop it. Doesn't make up for the first though.

Even with documentation, a lot of the time it's bullshit reasons and if someone appeals with a decent enough reason/documents they're usually granted the compensation.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Boiled Water posted:

at least in most tech companies, at least some salaries will be posted on the wall for H1-B compliance.

most are also like mine in that the wall in question is behind a large plant for no particular reason

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

raminasi posted:

my company had an internal hackathon and at presentations one guy got up and said “i started a salary survey, here’s the link”

management is pissed. apparently they’re telling him that nobody cares about this stuff and he’s just causing trouble. fingers crossed for the hackathon vote, it’d be incredible if he won.

my god i wish i had thought of that before leaving my last job

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

ShadowHawk posted:

Yup! The same goes for cases of wage theft.

:patriot:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
got referred to the hiring manager for a FAANG job, maybe this will let me skip one of the nine interview rounds.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

holy poo poo quitting is awesome. also manager tried to tell me i have to give to weeks because hr requires that when i said i was leaving friday. i was like yeah no i'm leaving friday.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

holy poo poo quitting is awesome. also manager tried to tell me i have to give to weeks because hr requires that when i said i was leaving friday. i was like yeah no i'm leaving friday.

hope you dropped the term "at will employment"

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

KidDynamite posted:

'or else what? you'll fire me?'

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

KidDynamite posted:

Hahaha,

Nicely done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

where are good place to post jobs? i've always had really good luck with HN, but then you only get HN demographics. would like to do better than that