Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Probably gone forever

Balls. Ingrid getting it, and then it either coming with her when you recruited her, or her using it against you if you fought her would have been better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah all the Lords and Byleth automatically qualify and change into their unique classes. The only exception is the kinda bad Lord intermediate class that Edelgard/Claude/Dimitri can turn into but it doesn't even have a good mastery.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Gilbert, stop being a bad dad.

Also god drat, I think Annette spent five years doing nothing but eating speed carrots and huffing spirit dust.

e: If it makes y'all feel any better, Ingrid's relic is fairly lackluster when compared to the others I have (i.e. Sylvain and Hilda's)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Why does ashe require lances to recruit, isn't he an archer or thief or something

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zore posted:

Yeah all the Lords and Byleth automatically qualify and change into their unique classes. The only exception is the kinda bad Lord intermediate class that Edelgard/Claude/Dimitri can turn into but it doesn't even have a good mastery.
It has charm though which is almost worth it by itself. Well it would be worth if anything in the game required you to optimise to such a degree. We'll see in lunatic!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Why does ashe require lances to recruit, isn't he an archer or thief or something

His hidden talent is lances I guess? Leonie is the same.

A lot of kids want weird poo poo. Why does Sylvain want Reason?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

That's his budding talent. Doesn't it make more sense for people to want to be in your class when you teach subjects they're not good at?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ashe loves stories about knights and wants to be one

Sylvain thinks black magic will impress girls

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

inthesto posted:

Ashe loves stories about knights and wants to be one

Sylvain thinks black magic will impress girls

It's almost like there's integration between story and gameplay!

(no shade on anyone, it's just cool to see)

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Lysithea's got interesting supports with Edelgard and while she's another mage you just can't have too many mages.

Here's another one - Lysithea has a secret, and Linhardt figures it out straight away. Almost like he's knowledgeable about that sort of thing!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can someone who's further into the game explain to me how the advanced classes will end up working with regards to skills? I notice that like, none of the end classes are using swords? Does that mean I should keep everyone using axes and lances? I've got a couple people on C skill and it seems like that's the cutoff for swords for basically every end class.

Also, how long do I have until the monastery phase is over? I'm in whatever month when we discovered an assassination attempt on Rhea and we think they're really after something else. (I'm probably still barely beginning the game but I've already sunk over ten hours in.) Is there anything I should make sure to do before the time skip?

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 30, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nearly positive the last month before time skip is February.

I feel like around December you should check out the Advanced / Master classes and make sure your characters have at least some points spent toward the class you intend them to be. Like, poo poo, I wouldn't have expected Bernie needed Lances to become a bow knight, but I'm glad I checked.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 30, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Can someone who's further into the game explain to me how the advanced classes will end up working with regards to skills? I notice that like, none of the end classes are using swords? Does that mean I should keep everyone using axes and lances? I've got a couple people on C skill and it seems like that's the cutoff for swords for basically every end class.

Also, how long do I have until the monastery phase is over? I'm in whatever month when we discovered an assassination attempt on Rhea and we think they're really after something else. (I'm probably still barely beginning the game but I've already sunk over ten hours in.) Is there anything I should make sure to do before the time skip?

Mortal Savant is the Master level sword class and needs Swords+ Reason.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
what in gods name were they thinking with lorenz's paralouge reward

i am starting to think lysithea will be a good candidate for the "only one unit" gimmick run people do holy heck

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Phenotype posted:

You mean the Master classes? They're awkward for swords in that the only class with Swordfaire is a hybrid Sword/Reason class. You can still swing a sword with any other class you qualify for, though, as long as you don't mind missing out on the -faire skill.

As for Advanced classes, the Swordmaster needs A in swords and the Assassin needs B Swords/C Bows, and they both come with Swordfaire. Again, you can still swing swords anyway with whatever. I'm probably making my Petra an Assassin, and I'll likely just leave her there forever.

Do we know if there's a limit on Master Seals late in the game? I might have already asked before.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Coucho Marx posted:

You mean the Master classes? They're awkward for swords in that the only class witj Swordfaire is a hybrid Sword/Reason class. You can still swing a sword with any other class you qualify for, though, as long as you don't mind missing out on the -faire skill.

As for Advanced classes, the Swordmaster needs A in swords and the Assassin needs B Swords/C Bows, and they both come with Swordfaire. Again, you can still swing swords anyway with whatever. I'm probably making my Petra an Assassin, and I'll likely just need her there.

Do we know if there's a limit on Master Seals late in the game? I might have already asked before.

No limit on Master seals. The regular shop only sells 3 per chapter but you can unlock Anna's shop through a sidequest that sells infinite.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Master classes seem oddly limiting and specific so I almost feel like they are meant only if you have a specific goal for that character.

As well speaking of limited seals what should I do with the dark seal I have? I don't know the difference between dark and black magic, and thus who would be best for it. I guess Hubert? But I also have Dorothea and I'm working to recruit Lysithea and those are the obvious candidates.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

Master classes seem oddly limiting and specific so I almost feel like they are meant only if you have a specific goal for that character.

As well speaking of limited seals what should I do with the dark seal I have? I don't know the difference between dark and black magic, and thus who would be best for it. I guess Hubert? But I also have Dorothea and I'm working to recruit Lysithea and those are the obvious candidates.

So basically Black magic is the traditional Fire Emblem stuff like Fire/Thunder/Thoron/Wind etc. Dark Magic is the stuff with a greek letter after it like Miasma or Luna and usually has a status rider or effect of some kind and is heavier than Black Magic.

Only Hubert, Lysithea and Edelgard naturally learn Dark magic. Hubert and Lysithea only learn Dark spells while Edelgard gets 2 Black magic spells and 2 Dark magic spekls. Dark Mage and Dark Bishop are only really notable for giving whoever is in them access to a single Dark Magic spell like how Mage gives Fire and Priest gives Heal even if the character hasn't/doesn't learn them. Except the spells they give are the lovely Dark Magic spells that don't have any riders so its basically pointless. It can still be worth it for Hubert to go Dark Bishop since Heart Seeker helps his accuracy and he doesn't benefit from Warlock's Black Magic usesx2 skill since he doesn't have Black Magic anyways. Anyone else is basically better off in Warlock.

Also you need a Dark Seal for both Dark Mage and Dark Bishop if you want to go into that.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 30, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm assuming I should just let the first month of Ch.6 play out right? No reason to open the door to the garden and end the month immediately?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
What in the hell is wrong with Annette's paralogue

Did the map designer even consider the possibility that Annette might not have Nosferatu

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

inthesto posted:

What in the hell is wrong with Annette's paralogue

Did the map designer even consider the possibility that Annette might not have Nosferatu

Marianne's is the worst.

Its in the second half so enemies hit like trucks

she starts separated from everyone else

Its a Fog of War mission

Enemies spawn literally every turn. And by enemies I mean multiple HP bar monsters.

I hadn't leveled her since I poached her so she was a good 10 levels too low for the mission

:negative:

And the big reward is a kinda lovely relic sword for her.

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 30, 2019

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Honestly I think Hubert is better in Mage because it gives him Fiendish Blow (+6 mag when attacking) as mastery. Heartseeker only kicks in at melee range, which kinda sucks when he has those cool 3-range spells.

Dark Bishop looks good for him, though, so I guess unlock Dark Mage anyway for later.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Eimi posted:

Yeah I'm just going to make one of each and leave it there. Having assassins and swordmasters owns.

Just made Raphael a battle master because he has worked hard on his tactical acumen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Coucho Marx posted:

Honestly I think Hubert is better in Mage because it gives him Fiendish Blow (+6 mag when attacking) as mastery. Heartseeker only kicks in at melee range, which kinda sucks when he has those cool 3-range spells.

Dark Bishop looks good for him, though, so I guess unlock Dark Mage anyway for later.

Using a Dark Seal for Dark Mage or Dark Bishop doesn't unlock the other on that character. You need to spend another Dark Seal.

So if you want a Dark Bishop just skip the Dark Mage step.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Zore posted:

Marianne's is the worst.

Its in the second half so enemies hit like trucks

she starts separated from everyone else

Its a Fog of War mission

Enemies spawn literally every turn. And by enemies I mean multiple HP bar monsters.

I hadn't leveled her since I poached her so she was a good 10 levels too low for the mission

:negative:

And the big reward is a kinda lovely relic sword for her.

I had to put Annette on a healing tile, not hit any of the guards (because then they'd have less HP to steal), still give her a steel shield, and even then I needed to dance Sylvain with a horse and brave lance and use some artillery magic from Dorothea just to get Annette and Gilbert the hell out of dodge.

I still haven't beaten the map yet, but it's standard fare from here on out. I better get rewarded well for this.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hey Hanneman, quick couple of questions about this C rank support: what the gently caress & can you chill

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Going armored knight is a good way to cheese physical tournaments

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
With the Annette paralogue, the generals didn't attack right way as along as I didn't attack them so you can beeline it over there and maybe Rescue her before they start to aggro.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Chocolate Bunny posted:

With the Annette paralogue, the generals didn't attack right way as along as I didn't attack them so you can beeline it over there and maybe Rescue her before they start to aggro.

Annette and Gilbert came under fire without them doing anything on my first try, so :shrug:

Final verdict: The reward for Annette's paralogue doesn't even have the courtesy of being a ranged weapon. Combat art might be useful for wiping things off the map, but Sylvain's reward remains the best.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How do you keep track of when you have enough support to recruit other house people? I did the dining hall with a couple people I'm aiming to recruit, and I'll try to give gifts when that's an option. Can you just spam gifts at someone you want? Should I just attempt to recruit periodically after giving gifts? I've also started planting nothing but flowers in the garden since I have a lot of food ingredients.

Also, I've decided that Blue Lions are obviously the best house.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Am I the only one avoiding student poaching (at least on first playthrough) to make subsequent playthroughs more unique? Honestly letting you poach almost the whole student body was kind of a weird move - the fun of picking a house in the beginning is making your roster work for better or worse, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, you get unique dialogue from the poached students in part 2. And support conversations across the houses.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Also uh I did not expect to recruit Catherine so early? Right after getting sword of the creator. Is using her an XP trap or something?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

How do you keep track of when you have enough support to recruit other house people? I did the dining hall with a couple people I'm aiming to recruit, and I'll try to give gifts when that's an option. Can you just spam gifts at someone you want? Should I just attempt to recruit periodically after giving gifts? I've also started planting nothing but flowers in the garden since I have a lot of food ingredients.

C-rank lowers it enough to recruit if you have any amount of focus on the stats they want, B-rank is basically free. there's no downside or falloff from spamming gifts as far as I can tell; and there's also no reason not to periodically attempt to recruit just to try and test the waters.

speaking of recruiting, i'm curious about how post-timeskip recruitment works. (black eagles timeskip spoilers) I didn't have any level of support with any of the Deers - Ignatius, Hilda, and Leonie ended up dead for real, but I had the option to recruit Lysithea. Are certain people just hard-coded to be recruitable no matter what; or did I just somehow have enough support points through dialogue choices and returning lost items?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Also uh I did not expect to recruit Catherine so early? Right after getting sword of the creator. Is using her an XP trap or something?

Shamir can also be recruited super early, and they're really OP and good.

The problem is availability during part 1 is unreliable for story missions.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Deified Data posted:

Nope, teachers/staff are just super easy pick ups, and Catherine also happens to come with an amazing weapon.

The only downside to them is that their skills tend to be hideously overspecialized.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Deified Data posted:

Am I the only one avoiding student poaching (at least on first playthrough) to make subsequent playthroughs more unique? Honestly letting you poach almost the whole student body was kind of a weird move - the fun of picking a house in the beginning is making your roster work for better or worse, right?

yeah, that's why i limited myself to two + the professors/knights. tragedies are more tragic when there are actual casualties to feel sad about on the enemy side

Deified Data posted:

you'll probably be fine if you use her once her level is on par with your students. i've just been using all the "neutral" characters as adjunct fodder

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Ytlaya posted:

If you're at Support C, they need approximately C in the skill they want, and about 15 in the stat. Less in Riding, Flying, and Armor, as the game acknowledges that those stats are extremely hard to raise on Byleth.

If you're at Support B, these requirements are drastically lowered, maybe down to D rank and ~10 in the stat, but generally it's hard to fail at recruiting them at Support B.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Do any of the plots for each house really stand out or suck, or should I just pick the one with the characters I like the most?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

nothing like fishing 50 times to squeak in one more professor level boost before the Big Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Finished January or whatever weird phase of the moon the fodies call it. Whole hell of a lot of plot going on and excited and all but uh... Byleths new class is silly looking with that giant rear end collar, bet that poo poo was Rhea's idea too. Silly pope lady.