Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Same, but GTA.

Well ok the blowing up random poo poo while not doing quests doesn't feel like a chore but even that gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm like that with total war games

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

Every Souls game I’ve played has been a complete chore. I keep buying them in the hopes that I ‘get’ it but I’m sat here on my 5th attempt of that first street part in Bloodborne and kind of wondering why I’m bothering.

Because the world building and environment/monster design are really cool, but if you don't have that experience then yeah I guess it would just be a pretty meh action rpg with that's either too hard or too easy.
I got a lot of enjoyment just exploring and surviving in the world of bloodborne, the world and monster steadily ratchet up in weirdness from start to end and the way souls games work you can make any hard bit easier by just getting stronger if I just wanted to progress.

sebmojo posted:

I'm like that with total war games

Sometimes I want to play them again but then I remember I actually just want to smash ships into each other not everything else around it.

is pepsi ok posted:

Same, but GTA.

Well ok the blowing up random poo poo while not doing quests doesn't feel like a chore but even that gets old.

It would be better if GTA4 onward hadn't actively tried to make it more of a chore.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 30, 2019

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

StabMasterArson posted:

Every Souls game I’ve played has been a complete chore. I keep buying them in the hopes that I ‘get’ it but I’m sat here on my 5th attempt of that first street part in Bloodborne and kind of wondering why I’m bothering.

I remember buying demon souls hoping it was a ninja gaiden style hack and slash

boy was I wrong

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

abigserve posted:

I remember buying demon souls hoping it was a ninja gaiden style hack and slash

boy was I wrong

maybe you should try Dynasty Warriors

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

the game I wanted was Bayonetta in the end.

Someone please make a new Ninja Gaiden

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

abigserve posted:

the game I wanted was Bayonetta in the end.

Someone please make a new Ninja Gaiden

Mute Crimson+ is all of the cool parts of Ninja Gaiden without the obscene difficulty. Definitely worth checking out.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

We should be able to actually gamble in video games. Like, instead of loot box bullshit I should be able to throw down a dollar before a round of a game and get some actual money if I win. I don't see how this could possibly go wrong or backfire catastrophically.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If i feel like a game is a chore, then i stop playing and never buy any of the games in that series ever again

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

If i feel like a game is a chore, then i stop playing and never buy any of the games in that series ever again

No no no it's not a chore I just choose to do things I don't enjoy to get at the delicious fun that's going to happen later right? Right? The fun is right there within my grasp. Well I've gotten this far just a little bit further I'll reach that fun! It's not so bad. Maybe it'll be better next expansion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I ideologically have no issue with the Epic game store but I am unable to use it because basically every feature down to my account name doesnt work

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Barudak posted:

I ideologically have no issue with the Epic game store but I am unable to use it because basically every feature down to my account name doesnt work

Same lol

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I like the idea of total war games. In reality I end up spending 90% of my time auto deciding battles and managing buildings, which is completely uninteresting

Tried to do a mortal empires campaign in Total Warhammer 2 and each turn took like several minutes to finish because there were so many AI... who has time for that poo poo??

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

I bought rage 2 today because I said I was going to if it went on sale and holy poo poo what a disappointment

take doom 2016 gunplay, which is good and fun. But take out the good enemy design, replace em aaall with people. Also, take out the upgrade system that was fun and replace it with an absolute chore and make the player do like ten versions of it. Hmm what else can we scrap here, level design, throw that out make it open world, all of the visual feedback like blood and deformation, replace that with some cod style hit markers...alright, looking good. Now, bring the mad max guys in here. Alright, we all know what people liked Mad Max for; the incredibly tedious looting of cleared out bases. I want that same system except double down on it. I want the player to feel like they are on an easter egg hunt every time they get to a base but ESPECIALLY after all of the enemies are dead and there's no fun gameplay left.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
The only multiplayer games that are worth investing time in are the ones that have a binary executable (or source code) for the dedicated server released to the general public.

So almost none of them lol

EDIT: Left out JAR files and things of that nature, y'all know what I mean

olives black fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 30, 2019

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

abigserve posted:

I bought rage 2 today because I said I was going to if it went on sale and holy poo poo what a disappointment

take doom 2016 gunplay, which is good and fun. But take out the good enemy design, replace em aaall with people. Also, take out the upgrade system that was fun and replace it with an absolute chore and make the player do like ten versions of it. Hmm what else can we scrap here, level design, throw that out make it open world, all of the visual feedback like blood and deformation, replace that with some cod style hit markers...alright, looking good. Now, bring the mad max guys in here. Alright, we all know what people liked Mad Max for; the incredibly tedious looting of cleared out bases. I want that same system except double down on it. I want the player to feel like they are on an easter egg hunt every time they get to a base but ESPECIALLY after all of the enemies are dead and there's no fun gameplay left.

It also has that miserable game design where you fill bars to continue the story by doing mission markers scattered around. It feels like such a stupid abstraction to fill bars like that, as though they don't even try to hide the fact they're wasting your time.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

abigserve posted:

imagine thinking that the sequel to RAGE had a chance in hell of being good

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

itsmybirthday_2day posted:

u really pissed me off on the ctf server mate, low ping bastard hooking everywhere yah tell me more howthat takes real skill :allears: its so cool ur parents pay ur dsl when the rest of us are on 56k. wow.

im meeting up in the clan irc channel and gonna find out ur icq number. 1v1 me on q2dm1 bitch. i just upgraded to a voodoo3.

this but unironically

All my friends had cable modem while I was using a 56k modem that was connected at 28.8 due to lovely phone lines / service. Although I didn't have a voodoo3 until Quake3 came out.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

StabMasterArson posted:

:same:

I'm finding it hard to get a feel for the combat, and the fun is still forthcoming.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I have a fancy warhammer for tourneys and parades.

I have a war warhammer for war.

I also have a total war warhammer if the war gets really nasty.

So it's not such a stupid name after all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

abigserve posted:

Yeah Rage 2 was really bad. Looking at it it from the outside in makes it look ok because the combat is decent. But eeeeeverything else is soooooo soo bad and it just ends up being tedious as gently caress

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

I like the idea of total war games. In reality I end up spending 90% of my time auto deciding battles and managing buildings, which is completely uninteresting

The main problem with the total war franchise from the beginning is that they put too much work into the battles and not enough into the grand strategy so when you inevitably start auto-resolving every battle because you don't have all loving week to see your plans on the world map come to fruition you realize the game is poo poo and you're wasting your life

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The actual Mad Max game was way better than Rage 2.

It's really crazy how Rage 2 managed to take the 2 defining traits of the first Rage (stunning graphics and awesome gunplay) and gently caress them up so hard.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Total War games take an interesting premise and then hang an awful and boring game on it.

The best bit of the whole series are the FMV assassinations in shogun 1

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
IMO total war campaigns are fun in the beginning when the battles are just a few units, but after like 10 turns it's full stacks vs full stacks all the time and every battle takes forever

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

olives black posted:

The only multiplayer games that are worth investing time in are the ones that have a binary executable (or source code) for the dedicated server released to the general public.

So almost none of them lol

Minecraft will live forever

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Rutibex posted:

Minecraft will live forever

In a legal sense only if Microsoft doesn't kill the ability to host your own

olives black fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 30, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

olives black posted:

In a legal sense only if Microsoft doesn't kill the ability to host your own

microsoft could never do that in a technical sense. the server software is out there and its JAVA so its easy as heck to crack out the DRM (or just use an old version from before microsoft bought it). they could start sending out cease and desist letters but i don't see how that would help them in any way

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
I played + beat DS 1-3 and Demon's Souls but could not finish Bloodborne. It just doesn't click for me, maybe because I prefer playing defensively idk. Also From needs to update their goofy rear end character models

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
The Yazuka series is bad and actually very boring.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Thundercracker posted:

They always looked to me like they were just Shenmue with all of the tedious RPG stuff but without the chill music or B-movie charm.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

olives black posted:

They always looked to me like they were just Shenmue with all of the tedious RPG stuff but without the chill music or B-movie charm.

They're really more of an interactive movie. There's not much RPG elements beyond upgrading some moves and unlocking new ones, and you can skip all the sidequests since the rewards are paltry for the most part.

The formula for those games is usually "20 minutes of high-quality cutscenes followed by 10 minutes of brawling followed by more cutscenes," for better or worse.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

poverty goat posted:

The main problem with the total war franchise from the beginning is that they put too much work into the battles and not enough into the grand strategy so when you inevitably start auto-resolving every battle because you don't have all loving week to see your plans on the world map come to fruition you realize the game is poo poo and you're wasting your life

it's this, like yes you can micromanage the battles but everything is so glacial you can barely tell whether or not your strategic play is working at all. which i guess it's real time and as true-to-life as they can make it but i'm sorry, i'm playing a game i don't care to see a dozen samurais stabbing at a single peasant who refuses to die due to rng

and then your dudes causing a traffic jam walking single file through a gate is just :psyduck:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Icochet posted:

IMO total war campaigns are fun in the beginning when the battles are just a few units, but after like 10 turns it's full stacks vs full stacks all the time and every battle takes forever

This guy knows what's up.

I get such a kick out of the royalty system though, certain nephews and poo poo being utterly useless boobs.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

SilvergunSuperman posted:

This guy knows what's up.

I get such a kick out of the royalty system though, certain nephews and poo poo being utterly useless boobs.

Eh, I always found it frustrating that your generals will almost inevitably pick up some sucky trait like alcoholism that would just get worse and worse until them entering a city would instantly cause a revolt.

It was a lol though that, in at least some of the games, leaving a general on a fleet for too long would end up turning them gay.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Voting Floater posted:

Eh, I always found it frustrating that your generals will almost inevitably pick up some sucky trait like alcoholism that would just get worse and worse until them entering a city would instantly cause a revolt.

It was a lol though that, in at least some of the games, leaving a general on a fleet for too long would end up turning them gay.

Surviving Mars has similarly annoying negative traits that get passed on. You fill your first ship of colonists with the best of the best, and spend the rest of the game shipping over alcoholics, hypochondriacs, manic-depressives, vegans, the terminally lazy (-20 to whatever job they're doing regardless of specialization), etc.

Thankfully you can fix them, but it's extremely slow and you have to devote a significant portion of your workforce to staffing Sanitoriums. End-game you get The Morpheus Project, which basically just broadcasts mind-control waves to clear out any negative traits.

It's always fun when someone develops a crippling fear of robots and destroys the life-support systems for an entire dome.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The biggets difference between Shenmue and Yakuza is Yakuza is self-aware and hilarious.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The biggets difference between Shenmue and Yakuza is Yakuza is self-aware and hilarious.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Thundercracker posted:

every time I play yakuza i find something new to stare at in slack jawed amazement and wonder "how the gently caress did this ever get made." the core beat-em-up gameplay is actually pretty dumb, but if you're actually playing the part where you beat 'em up vs. playing RC cars or getting stuff out of crane games or managing a hostess bar i don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The Yakuza game absolutely own and are absolutely not for everyone. In other words, Kamurocho is a land of contrasts.