Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
...man i guess i shouldnt be surprised about even this thread just being down on JH, its as if no one on the forum even really enjoys video games anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

toasterwarrior posted:

...man i guess i shouldnt be surprised about even this thread just being down on JH, its as if no one on the forum even really enjoys video games anymore

oy oy oy, there are people in here who are excited for jupiter hell! It's a high-profile roguelike with fancy graphics, of course it's gonna be divisive.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

if jupiter hell wasn't just doomrl but with half the depth surgically removed and also costing real life honest to god american dollars i'd be a lot more charitable to it

as it stands I just can't see why I'd play this and not just keep playing DoomRL, which is already finished and better and free

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

oy oy oy, there are people in here who are excited for jupiter hell! It's a high-profile roguelike with fancy graphics, of course it's gonna be divisive.

fancy is not the word i'd choose.

toasterwarrior posted:

i can't make any judgment on how the game plays, my comments are solely on the visual.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

toasterwarrior posted:

You don't like the same things as me, therefore you don't enjoy video games? Give me a break.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

as it stands I just can't see why I'd play this and not just keep playing DoomRL, which is already finished and better and free

I backed the kickstarter because I love DoomRL a lot. We'll see how the actual JH game is once it drops and also after it leaves early access. I can't blame anyone for wanting to wait until it's done to pay for it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
"paying kornel money for this game is actually people giving him his dues for doomrl instead of the actual game" is such an incredibly lovely and insulting take on game development, hell, for any creative medium

gently caress man, i cant even finish this thought, im out, keep at it

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Its not ME making hot takes its actually YOU!!!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
...as a person who makes things, I don't really mind when someone buys a new product of mine in part or in whole to give me money for something I released for free at a previous point? Maybe I'm not getting what's supposed to be insulting about it. Jupiter Hell is in an apparently-early state, a lot of people aren't interested in the game in its current state and are drawing obvious comparisons between it and its predecessor. That may change as development continues. We'll see.

You do sound unhappy, please bear in mind that the discussions in one niche thread may not reflect the prevailing attitudes of, well, anything at all, including the people posting in the thread. Communication is hard enough even when its not through detached and easily-muddled text blurbs.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

"paying kornel money for this game is actually people giving him his dues for doomrl instead of the actual game" is such an incredibly lovely and insulting take on game development, hell, for any creative medium

gently caress man, i cant even finish this thought, im out, keep at it

What? His previous work was so incredibly strong that it means I trust him enough as a creator to pay him for an unfinished product that could be abandoned at any time. That's the least insulting thing I could do, I think.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah i think it makes sense to support someone's paid project if you got a lot out of their unpaid work.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

StrixNebulosa posted:

What? His previous work was so incredibly strong that it means I trust him enough as a creator to pay him for an unfinished product that could be abandoned at any time. That's the least insulting thing I could do, I think.
Fun fact, this logic is why I bought Final Fantasy 13 on launch day, because I loved 12.

This can be interpreted however you want!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Fun fact, this logic is why I bought Final Fantasy 13 on launch day, because I loved 12.

This can be interpreted however you want!

I feel so bad for you, that's one hell of a downgrade from 12. :(

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ff13 is good

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
money's money so in the end kornel gets paid but i did word that poorly, it was the idea that people werent actually buying JH on its own merits and were instead doing it because doomrl was incredible and thus JH's current presence is due to the charity of the doomrl fanbase that set me off

like drat, believe or not, the game might actually be legit, even now

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

toasterwarrior posted:

like drat, believe or not, the game might actually be legit, even now

It’s not, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Everyone in this thread needs to go outside more.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

PMush Perfect posted:

Everyone in this thread needs to go outside more.

Too much screen glare outside.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

fancy is not the word i'd choose.

i can't make any judgment on how the game plays, my comments are solely on the visual.

As someone who actually owns and plays it all I can say is that the visuals work well for me. They as a lot to the atmosphere, the CRT effect is a nice touch, and at no point do I find myself wishing it was ASCII or 2D tiles.

I can't think of too many 3D turn based tile games that work for varying speeds of play; he's done a pretty good job on the animation front.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'd play the balls out of a legend of grimrock-esque randomly generated first person roguelike.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Motherfucker posted:

I'd play the balls out of a legend of grimrock-esque randomly generated first person roguelike.

There's Dungeon Hack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab1ZIyLGKKA

but I dunno, I loved Grimrock and all, but tile dancing is a really crappy mechanic imo

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Agreed, especially with Grimrock's "manually click on a small portion of the screen 1-4 times to attack" mechanic.

Extremely anime dungeoncrawler Zanki Zero has tiledancing, and I don't mind it so much there, because a major method of attacking is charging up a big simultaneous attack from all the members of the party, but you're penalized for tiledancing while charged. Instead of tiledancing being the only sensible way of attacking, it's one of your two main strategies (with further tweaks, like skills that are more efficient when tiledancing vs ones that help your charge attacks).

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

szary posted:

There's Dungeon Hack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab1ZIyLGKKA

but I dunno, I loved Grimrock and all, but tile dancing is a really crappy mechanic imo

Agree'd and agree'd but a more traditional 'step by step' roguelike with a different UI that uses the same first person perspective, slick 'realistic' graphics and organic 'click on stuff to interact with it in the environment' would be sick.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 29, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

StrixNebulosa posted:

I feel so bad for you, that's one hell of a downgrade from 12. :(
12 is one of my two favorite FFs (along with 5) but I legit enjoyed 13 for what it was, it's just a funny story to tell because goddamn was 13 ever polarizing. Sure, I'll never replay it, but I had fun with the paradigm shift system.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ive been working on a post to talk about demon strategy and stuff for a few days now. still incomplete

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Tollymain posted:

ive been working on a post to talk about demon strategy and stuff for a few days now. still incomplete

Demon is great, I should get back to my half-complete fun-time project of redrawing its UI buttons and such

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Thirsty Dog posted:

As someone who actually owns and plays it all I can say is that the visuals work well for me. They as a lot to the atmosphere, the CRT effect is a nice touch, and at no point do I find myself wishing it was ASCII or 2D tiles.

I can't think of too many 3D turn based tile games that work for varying speeds of play; he's done a pretty good job on the animation front.

the animations are fine it's the texturing that gives it that shovelware look.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

the animations are fine it's the texturing that gives it that shovelware look.

3D is hard, texturing is hard, art is hard, if you're working solo or on a limited budget you're not gonna be able to turn out AAA-quality graphics. Jupiter Hell's graphics look fine, you're just too demanding.

Context: my models don't have any textures.

And I'm really hoping I can get away with mostly just having them be untextured or all painted with the same dazzle camo or whatever. Or maybe just flat painted the way Sky Rogue's models are.

(At the moment I have no plans to make a naval roguelike, but if against all odds the handmade campaign I'm planning makes a salable game then I would definitely be willing to dive into the rabbit hole of procgen missions)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that works with vehicles.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

3D is hard, texturing is hard, art is hard, if you're working solo or on a limited budget you're not gonna be able to turn out AAA-quality graphics. Jupiter Hell's graphics look fine, you're just too demanding.

Context: my models don't have any textures.

And I'm really hoping I can get away with mostly just having them be untextured or all painted with the same dazzle camo or whatever. Or maybe just flat painted the way Sky Rogue's models are.

(At the moment I have no plans to make a naval roguelike, but if against all odds the handmade campaign I'm planning makes a salable game then I would definitely be willing to dive into the rabbit hole of procgen missions)
I think when people are saying they preferred DoomRL’s graphics, that’s the exact opposite of asking for AAA-quality.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

that works with vehicles.

I'd posit it worked well for human characters in Interstate 76, but that was because the game was dripping with style in every other facet. It wouldn't have worked without the scenery chewing voice acting, or the music, or the art design, all of which contributed to why Interstate 82 wasn't nearly as good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

I think when people are saying they preferred DoomRL’s graphics, that’s the exact opposite of asking for AAA-quality.

Oh sure, if you want ASCII then any graphics are bad regardless of quality. But that's not what I was reading in the shovelware comments.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh sure, if you want ASCII then any graphics are bad regardless of quality. But that's not what I was reading in the shovelware comments.

DoomRL has very nice sprites.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

This is what DoomRL's default tiles look like. Not up to the standards of a pretty indie roguelike like Dungeonmans or Tangledeep, but definitely not ASCII, and people like them because they're clean, iconic, and easy to read. Jupiter Hell's by contrast look quite drab and indistinct (to the point where I can see myself missing enemies) and it makes me sad to think how much production time must have gone into them.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Imo it looks like those UE/unity games where all the assets are straight from the store and no tweaking has been done to anything. Nothing really melds together and it just gets kinda uncanny valleyish. I'll still give it a shot on release because the gameplay will probably be fine.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think it looks bad visually but I own more than one game that fits that description so I'll wait and see how it plays.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I just learned about the existence of Mistover and it looks dope as gently caress. It looks like a mix between a mystery dungeon game and darkest dungeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=391&v=0NPZMF65GWM

It's always really cool to see eastern devs take heavy influence from western indie games.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd say more Etrian Odyssey though they do share similarities with full black shadows giving both a nice chunky look

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Klaus Kinski posted:

Imo it looks like those UE/unity games where all the assets are straight from the store and no tweaking has been done to anything. Nothing really melds together and it just gets kinda uncanny valleyish. I'll still give it a shot on release because the gameplay will probably be fine.

yeah my original comment on how the game looked was "asset flip".

pumpinglemma posted:

This is what DoomRL's default tiles look like. Not up to the standards of a pretty indie roguelike like Dungeonmans or Tangledeep, but definitely not ASCII, and people like them because they're clean, iconic, and easy to read. Jupiter Hell's by contrast look quite drab and indistinct (to the point where I can see myself missing enemies) and it makes me sad to think how much production time must have gone into them.

i'd be far more interested in the game had he gone a sci-fi dungeonmans route.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I’m the one guy who has no particular affection for DoomRL, except for the Derek Yu sprites. Jupiter Hell looks hard to scan and visually very uninteresting. I think it’s going for a security camera kinda appearance? Visually it reminds me of Arcen’s terrible Release Raptor game, which was a deliberate asset flip experiment. I wonder if there’s any interesting way to use the assets as they are, say by leaning harder into the 1980’s space marine movie security camera thing. Like bad chroma key outlining or something.

I just feel like the guy worked so dang hard on DoomRL he should find success in this other thing. I totally understand people funding this and hoping for the best, but being ok with a speed bump.