Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

No colon? Not activated!

I get general confusion when it's new or maybe they weren't playing back in Onslaught but from a judging perspective it's actually pretty straightforward

well this was during onslaught/mirrodin standard, and i knew how it worked, but the head judge listened to a different judge and ruined a lot of people's chances to make nationals. this was before smartphones and wifi so like, if you didn't have the Oracle/Comp Rules saved to the computer running the tournament you were hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Oh wow I always forget Onslaught and Mirrodin were back to back but I guess if I'd been playing closer attention to your story I could've sussed that out

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Interestingly, Morph uses the same wording ("any time") for its reminder text that Experimental Frenzy uses for its first ability. So in theory, if a player can parse the one, they can parse the other.

It doesn't come up much in current Standard, but it would be interesting to see how many Magic players would conclude that Experimental Frenzy's first ability is activated and can be responded to / can't be done with a split second spell on the stack.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
From a design perspective, why does morph work like that? Is there a rules reason it couldn't be an activated ability?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

TacoNight posted:

From a design perspective, why does morph work like that? Is there a rules reason it couldn't be an activated ability?

It would be dumb as hell if your opponent could shock it after you paid the cost (thus telling them what it is) but before you actually turned it face-up

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

TacoNight posted:

no, because they designed morph from scratch, but I think they wanted to avoid the feelbad of getting your morph removed in response to its flip ability. Plus it works a little weirdly because you have to reveal your morph so you can prove you’re paying the right cost, but if they could just stifle your ability or whatever it would stay flipped and they’d know what it is. It’s just cleaner this way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TacoNight posted:

Because the facedown creature doesn't have rules text so it can't have a normal ability

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

TacoNight posted:

That gets really messy, because then you are activating an ability that the opponent can't see or read, and they have to decide how they want to respond, based on the mana you paid. There's going to be a lot of asking for the oracle text of various morphs, to figure out which one is being activated and what its text is, especially at the beginning of a draft format. It's way cleaner to make it so that the creature is revealed immediately, without using the stack. You could make revealing the creature as part of the cost of unmorphing, but if the idea is that it's still a morphed 2/2 until the ability resolves, then you are flipping over the card before it's actually unmorphed, which again, is super messy.

So, you can see pretty quickly that the cleanest answer is simply to not have it use the stack at all. It's still not perfect, since players are very used to actions like this using the stack, but it's a smaller problem than actually trying to let players respond to an unmorph.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The problem was mainly putting Willbender in a set with a new mechanic that to the layman was "this spell cannot be responded to"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I opened a couple packs on Arena and got 2 Omnaths. I had a bunch of wild cards as well so I threw this deck together:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/temur-elemental-aggro-1/

I don't have the shocklands so I'm subbing in guild gates which slows the deck down a tad, but HOLY gently caress when Omnath and Risen Reef start working together it's a loving sight to behold.

EDIT: Since the Unclaimed Territories are rotating out what would be a good substitute?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 30, 2019

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Necronomicon posted:

I'm selling out of all my non-bulk at Gencon this week, minus my convertible modern/legacy/pauper burn deck. Like, it's cool to have a Gaea's Cradle, but I've had it since I was in middle school and I've never actually used it.

I'm interested in also doing this, how do you go about it? Is there a 'best' buyer or what

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BizarroAzrael posted:

Starting to think about a vacation to a GP, but the timings seem iffy. Montreal and Utrecht are great cities but it's limited format on the prerelease and release weekends for the new set. Lyon is standard but is literally the day after Brexit is suppose to happen, which makes me nervous.

Utrecht ist two weeks after Pre-release FWIW, and if you're uncertain there's always side events.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

DangerDongs posted:

Tim will be a wonderful steward for the Judge Community. He identifies strongly with judge values of self-improvement and inclusivity, and his hiring of Nicolette as the Program Manager shows a dedication to making sure this organization is in line with those values.

"See I'm so progressive that I hired a single woman. Imagine that, eh? After all, no one would ever hire a woman if it wasn't for inclusivity."

Great, so what percentage of the rest of the employees (which apparently exist!) are white men?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

"See I'm so progressive that I hired a single woman. Imagine that, eh? After all, no one would ever hire a woman if it wasn't for inclusivity."

Great, so what percentage of the rest of the employees (which apparently exist!) are white men?

the rest besides sara, i guess?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

I opened a couple packs on Arena and got 2 Omnaths. I had a bunch of wild cards as well so I threw this deck together:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/temur-elemental-aggro-1/

I don't have the shocklands so I'm subbing in guild gates which slows the deck down a tad, but HOLY gently caress when Omnath and Risen Reef start working together it's a loving sight to behold.

All hail the mountain dew and cheeto fingers goop overlord

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
He's mad because he's being forced to bathe

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I'm in a chat group with about 50 Modern players and the only one defending the Judge Academy is, ironically, the sole L1 judge in the group. Like, we're all arguing that the judges should never be charged even one cent and he claims it's alright because with the guaranteed promos it's a "win/win" for both WotC/JA and the judges. :doh:

And then he took it personal when I said that WotC sure does know their audience.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

fatherboxx posted:

All hail the mountain dew and cheeto fingers goop overlord

I thought this was a dig at people who play Omnath, but then I looked at the picture and realized he does look like a Mt Dew Elemental with cheesy fingers

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

so like, what if everyone just kind of refused to pay, but continued judging. Maybe they charged stores to judge at events once players stop showing up to events that don't have judges

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

And then he took it personal when I said that WotC sure does know their audience.

So he's not a complete idiot.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

A Moose posted:

so like, what if everyone just kind of refused to pay, but continued judging. Maybe they charged stores to judge at events once players stop showing up to events that don't have judges

I would imagine that if you'd like to judge at a GP/SCG/MC you'll need to be affiliated with Judge Academy. Local store judges however could just keep judging without the new certification from what they've stated. If you know the rules and are listed as the judge in the event, then you are the judge certification non-withstanding.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A Moose posted:

They don't have any authority to do so. WOTC dumped all the responsibility on events to TO's outside the pro tour. Because they did that, the TO's have full power to choose whatever "judges" they want. Since the judge program will no longer exist, a judge is whoever a TO says is a judge. WOTC can't dictate who TO's employees are.

jassi007 posted:

I would imagine that if you'd like to judge at a GP/SCG/MC you'll need to be affiliated with Judge Academy. Local store judges however could just keep judging without the new certification from what they've stated. If you know the rules and are listed as the judge in the event, then you are the judge certification non-withstanding.

SCG and CFB don't have to do anything with Judge Academy for events. They are not bound by anything.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

From the MTR (bolding not original):

"Sanctioned tournaments require the physical presence of a Head Judge during play to adjudicate disputes, interpret rules, and make other official decisions. The Head Judge is the final judicial authority at any DCI-sanctioned tournament and all tournament participants are expected to follow their interpretation. Although it is beneficial, the Head Judge does not have to be certified."

And

"Floor judges are available to players and spectators to answer questions, deal with illegal plays, or assist with reasonable requests. They do not have to be certified."

Judges, as anything other than tournament staff, are no longer part of the MTR.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

So judges could just be some random rules nerd with no actual certification? Wow can't wait to see how this plays out among the most obnoxious segments of the player base.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

They don't have any authority to do so. WOTC dumped all the responsibility on events to TO's outside the pro tour. Because they did that, the TO's have full power to choose whatever "judges" they want. Since the judge program will no longer exist, a judge is whoever a TO says is a judge. WOTC can't dictate who TO's employees are.

SCG and CFB don't have to do anything with Judge Academy for events. They are not bound by anything.

I get that they don't have to do anything with JA but they likely will unless/until some other organization comes forward to test/train judges.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wotc appears to be washing their hands of tournament paper magic. Dropping that ballast.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rinkles posted:

Wotc appears to be washing their hands of tournament paper magic. Dropping that ballast.

Except for mythic championships, which they might have trouble finding judges for if they're being charged this much.

What do scg and channel fireball get for running their tourneys/the gps? Like wotc gave thé gps to channel fireball, but are they obligated to run them as wotc asks? Can they set up their own standards for judging (like exactly the same as the old standards) and use those?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wizards sources the money for cash prizes at Grand Prix. I don't know what else they actually cover for, but what they don't is entirely on ChannelFireball.

Star City Games is completely on their own for their tournament circuit.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CFB put out a statement on Reddit saying nothing is changing on their end. WotCs standards for judging are as in the MTR above, which used to specify specific judge levels.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ItBreathes posted:

CFB put out a statement on Reddit saying nothing is changing on their end. WotCs standards for judging are as in the MTR above, which used to specify specific judge levels.

Yeah CFBE is saying that nothing will change, but they also (legally and in their statement) also make it clear they won't only use JA judges

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

got into a long argument with my MTG group last night over this. It's pretty much all EDH players so it's not like this affects us in any way, but none of them seem to understand why having a third party group appear out of nowhere to certify and organize judges that is also completely opaque is incredibly sketchy.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah CFBE is saying that nothing will change, but they also (legally and in their statement) also make it clear they won't only use JA judges

Wasn’t it revealed in one of those discord logs posted yesterday that high level CFBE employees are in the JA ownership?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm new to MTG (friend got me into edh) but lol at all of this. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of judges dips and then stabilizes by mid 2020, assuming WotC stays the course and barring any other fuckery. As long as Hasbro is willing to give out shiny bits of paper, I don't think there will be a significant shortage of certified judges in the near future.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I'm interested in also doing this, how do you go about it? Is there a 'best' buyer or what

shop it around, compare prices

at gp denver I took a pile of alpha bulk commons around and some of the quotes I got differed by more than an order of magnitude per card, one store I did a bunch of business with in the past and had great prices gave me the worst offer by far this time around, talking a difference of like $8-10/card to $0.50/card

if you’re selling off more commodity-like cards it probably won’t be as big a deal, but most of those places are happy to sit down and give you a quote, so do that and then figure out who’s offering the best rates & what you’re comfortable with taking

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I know some of you hate Saffron Olive and his content; but in case anyone was wondering if Colossus Hammer was easy to break in Modern, apparently it is.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
there is not going to be a shortage of people willing to pay Wizards $100-$200 a year for shiny promos, just look at how hard SDCC promos and FTVs with valuable cards in them sell out.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
That video is hilarious and that was without even playing Steelshaper's Gift

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

there is not going to be a shortage of people willing to pay Wizards $100-$200 a year for shiny promos, just look at how hard SDCC promos and FTVs with valuable cards in them sell out.

The judge program turning into a reseller for judge promos is hilarious.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tainen posted:

Wasn’t it revealed in one of those discord logs posted yesterday that high level CFBE employees are in the JA ownership?

Not AFAIK (and I made the discord logs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Entropic posted:

The percentage of those that want to judge and would make good judges is minuscule. I can't wait to read about all the rule hot takes that this will lead to. Expecting a for profit company whose only source of income is reselling foils on behalf of WotC to maintain even a slight standard of knowledge and behavior is adorably naive.