Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Still chugging along with this, enjoying it but I don't feel like I'm getting any smarter. Cleared Lake, Island, Ruins, Fall, and weirdly enough Garden, but I've only 100%'d Lake and that was a struggle. Should I be going for 100% on these earlier areas now or just trying to beat as many levels as possible no matter where they are?

Leylite posted:

Yep. Hempuli uploaded all the tracks to his YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMoZgWjm14OF2AWFfPc3cyQH7T2SC89jo

The soundtrack is also for sale directly from his website too: https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-is-you-soundtrack

Thanks, I kept digging around for it on Bandcamp like every other indie game soundtrack seems to be lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Still chugging along with this, enjoying it but I don't feel like I'm getting any smarter. Cleared Lake, Island, Ruins, Fall, and weirdly enough Garden, but I've only 100%'d Lake and that was a struggle. Should I be going for 100% on these earlier areas now or just trying to beat as many levels as possible no matter where they are?

Entirely up to you. 100%ing areas doesn't generally unlock anything, and usually won't teach you any new mechanics - though there are exceptions to that - but you might want to use the other levels in old worlds to reinforce your understanding of mechanics before later areas layer more on top.

Personally I never did that.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

I dunno man, what's your goal? You can beat the game and get credits rolling like, 5 worlds in if you just wanna end it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Arrhythmia posted:

I dunno man, what's your goal?

To feel smart again :negative: I do at least want to clear all of the worlds I think, though 100%ing them all feels real intimidating right now.

Tau Wedel
Aug 3, 2007

I'm fine. Everything's fine. There is no reason to worry.
I think there's a bug with Steam Cloud sync. About a week ago, I moved over to a new computer where I installed Baba is You but didn't start it. Right after the big July 1 update, I opened the game, and it started me off with the opening cutscene and the first level, overwriting all progress I had made on the first save slot. I'm not sure why that happened, but it seems to be specific to Baba is You; my saves for Hollow Knight and Into the Breach moved over just fine. (I haven't used the other save slots, so I don't know if progress in those would've been transferred over.)

It's not a terribly big deal in my case, as I'd already completed the entire game, so the only thing I haven't seen is the new secret. I'm sure I'll get there eventually, and now I get to see what the game's progression looks like after all the level revisions.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I've had persistent problems with cloud sync in Baba is You too, actually; I don't use it for any other games so I've always assumed it was steam's fault rather than something game-specific.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Whatever the issue is with cloud sync, I guess it's not consistently reproducible. Took a trip recently and installed Baba on my laptop for the first time to work to chip away at some more levels and it worked fine.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Agh, that's a shame to hear. Are you playing on Linux? We had some issues with the folder the save files are located in being wrong specifically on Linux, which might've caused these problems. If the answer is "no", could you go to <username>\appdata\roaming\Baba Is You\ and tell me what the size of all the files there together is? I increased the max cloud save size, but it's still only 100 kb so *technically* something might be going wrong there.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
The two machines I use are both Windows and the save files are 15kb and 12kb respectively. The behavior I was seeing was:
  • Run Baba on Machine A. Save file has all levels clear.
  • Quit game on Machine A; Steam shows "Syncing" briefly.
  • After a while, run Baba on Machine B. Save file only shows around 200 levels clear.
  • Quit game on Machine B; Steam shows "Syncing" briefly.
  • After a while, run Baba on Machine A. Save file now only shows around 200 levels clear.
Testing it again now has had different results which might be helpful:
  • After a while, run Baba on Machine B. Steam now reports a cloud conflict because machine B's save files are newer (21st April) than the cloud save files (19th April).
Looking at the files on machine A, 0ba.ba is timestamped 30th June which sounds plausible for when I last meaningfully changed the save, but SettingsC.txt is timestamped 19th April.

Is it possible that it's only using the timestamp of SettingsC.txt to determine the age of the cloud save, rather than the most recent timestamp among all save files?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

The two machines I use are both Windows and the save files are 15kb and 12kb respectively. The behavior I was seeing was:
  • After a while, run Baba on Machine B. Save file only shows around 200 levels clear.
  • Quit game on Machine B; Steam shows "Syncing" briefly.
  • After a while, run Baba on Machine A. Save file now only shows around 200 levels clear.
Testing it again now has had different results which might be helpful:
  • After a while, run Baba on Machine B. Steam now reports a cloud conflict because machine B's save files are newer (21st April) than the cloud save files (19th April).
Looking at the files on machine A, 0ba.ba is timestamped 30th June which sounds plausible for when I last meaningfully changed the save, but SettingsC.txt is timestamped 19th April.

Is it possible that it's only using the timestamp of SettingsC.txt to determine the age of the cloud save, rather than the most recent timestamp among all save files?

Thanks a lot! Your guess might be correct; we'll test updating the timestamps even for files that don't change for the next version!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Can I get a hint on Fall 11? I'm pretty sure the game wants me to form Not Baba Is Not You to clear the level, but I can't clear enough water tiles around those text blocks to make it work. I know that Not Rock Is Push lets me move the water around, but it also makes it so I can't get past that pine tree. Also are the dead trees around the edge of the map useful for solving the puzzle since I can move them, or is that a misdirection?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Can I get a hint on Fall 11? I'm pretty sure the game wants me to form Not Baba Is Not You to clear the level, but I can't clear enough water tiles around those text blocks to make it work. I know that Not Rock Is Push lets me move the water around, but it also makes it so I can't get past that pine tree. Also are the dead trees around the edge of the map useful for solving the puzzle since I can move them, or is that a misdirection?

I was stuck on this one for a long time. There's no big trick other than the ones you've already figured out - you just have to figure out the right sequence of actions that clear out enough water. Unfortunately I don't remember the specific instructions for that level, and I just ended up looking up a video of the solution.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Can I get a hint on Fall 11?

You need to push most of the water from the inside.

You need to remove one block of water before making the water pushable.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nostalgamus posted:

You need to push most of the water from the inside.

You need to remove one block of water before making the water pushable.

This did it, thanks!
God this game is good, I just wish I had more time to play it so I could remember how it all works.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

BABA is KNIT

and REVERSE

(please excuse the shittiness, it was part of an attempt to re-learn to knit one-handed due to a RSI. i was just excited it was recognizable :3:)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Pffffffft your brain is being a jerk, that poo poo's amazing :allears:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

https://v.redd.it/nnirbu1tc1c31

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i would like to announce that after about two months of not playing today i woke up with the solution to the level catch and i can confirm i am an ultra genius

please don't ask me about other levels i'm stuck at

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Artelier posted:

i would like to announce that after about two months of not playing today i woke up with the solution to the level catch and i can confirm i am an ultra genius

please don't ask me about other levels i'm stuck at

Last week as I was going to bed the answer to a puzzle hit me and I had to pick up my Switch and do it real quick before I could sleep.

It's harder going now but even yesterday I picked it up after a little break and just knocked out two more.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hamoustruck/status/1156227813642526720?s=21

KEKE is FIVE ACE

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
really frustrated/confused with (late game i think) trying to get to level 12 in meta. I got a cursor over the wall, turned the cursor into a flag then turned the flag into a cursor and a ghost. then the ghost moves because its me but the cursor won't stay on top of it like it does for babas

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

violent sex idiot posted:

really frustrated/confused with (late game i think) trying to get to level 12 in meta. I got a cursor over the wall, turned the cursor into a flag then turned the flag into a cursor and a ghost. then the ghost moves because its me but the cursor won't stay on top of it like it does for babas

Well, if the cursor won't move, maybe you can focus on the thing that *will*.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
yeah i figured it out but it feels wrong and inconsistent that the thing I was doing didn't work. is cursor on baba is you an implicit rule like text is push or something?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

violent sex idiot posted:

yeah i figured it out but it feels wrong and inconsistent that the thing I was doing didn't work. is cursor on baba is you an implicit rule like text is push or something?

The cursor's movement goes as follows:
1. Everything else moves
2. Cursor checks if there's an open level in the direction it's trying to move in
3. If yes, cursor moves

In the case you're describing, Baba was a level-turned-Baba and thus seen by the cursor as being a valid target to hop onto, whereas the Ghost was a cursor-turned-Ghost and thus not seen as a valid target.

I'd say that the interaction generally makes sense, but this specific combo of events colliding is indeed quite obtuse.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I booted up this little gem of a game again to check out the latest secret level added to Meta - it's called Woah

But I can't seem to get it...? I've tried turning the cursor into a level, but all that happens is the cursor turning into the same level where it was last positioned on. I gave up and looked for hints, and people online are turning it into a new level just fine...

Did the Switch version not get the patch?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh huh. Was messing around in Meta and managed to get LEVEL IS OPEN, which obviously destroys the whole map as there are SHUT doors in it. When that happened the music turned from the map music to the first level music. I guess there isn't an "empty" sound programmed for the maps? It even stayed when I undid it.

Edit: messed up tags

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 30, 2019

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

I booted up this little gem of a game again to check out the latest secret level added to Meta - it's called Woah

But I can't seem to get it...? I've tried turning the cursor into a level, but all that happens is the cursor turning into the same level where it was last positioned on. I gave up and looked for hints, and people online are turning it into a new level just fine...

Did the Switch version not get the patch?

Unfortunately the Switch version doesn't have that patch yet. We've been intending to patch Switch once we get UI translations in, but that's taken longer than expected (absolutely my fault) and as a result the Switch version is severely behind at the moment. My apologies :(

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hempuli posted:

Unfortunately the Switch version doesn't have that patch yet. We've been intending to patch Switch once we get UI translations in, but that's taken longer than expected (absolutely my fault) and as a result the Switch version is severely behind at the moment. My apologies :(

Too bad! But now I know I don't have to feel dumb for not getting it to work :D

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hempuli posted:

Thank you for refraining from giving me more video games to play in an already overstuffed September.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Thank you for refraining from giving me more video games to play in an already overstuffed September.

You spoke too soon.
https://noitagame.com/

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Hello everyone! Apologies in advance for thread necromancy.

Baba Is You will be getting a Level Editor with Online Level-Sharing Functionality! :toot: Progress has been slowish but the plan has been to get it released this year, hopefully around Summer. The editor will be available on all platforms, although with some slight differences, partially due to the fact that on PC you have access to the files themselves while on console that data is not available for the player.

I thought this'd be a good moment to say something about this here, because just yesterday we got the first secret beta build where you can actually upload & download levels!
You can see it in action here:
https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1246612441955545089
Or here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BGbMgsACGU
(it's the exact same video as was in the tweet)

If you have the game on Steam, you can opt-in to the "betatest" branch by right-clicking the game, going properties -> betas, and picking the branch from the drop-down menu. This allows access to the somewhat-unfinished editor, albeit without the upload/download capability. This branch might get open beta -style access to the online stuff eventually before the release of the editor, but I'm not sure yet.

Also, Baba turned one year old some weeks ago! Yay!

(Also thank you for all the kind words said here & elsewhere about the game. I'm sorry that I wasn't more active in the thread back when the game was new; I wasn't entirely sure how to best handle communication. Oh well!)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Very exciting! Will there be a level browser where the best/most popular/newest/etc. levels can be found, or will custom levels only be accessible if you have their code?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hell yeah, baba is us

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Can't wait to see what madness the community comes up with.
Too bad the level editor can't make levels-in-levels...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BABA is LEVEL EDITOR

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

Very exciting! Will there be a level browser where the best/most popular/newest/etc. levels can be found, or will custom levels only be accessible if you have their code?

It'd be super cool to have that and if everything else goes smoothly I'd definitely like to go for that, but it depends somewhat on how many issues we run into, how much time the other bits of the editor are going to take (I still need to make the whole thing gamepad-supported and it's a scary thought) and so on.

McFrugal posted:

Can't wait to see what madness the community comes up with.
Too bad the level editor can't make levels-in-levels...

There's technically support for "extended features" that let you make full levelpacks with maps and all, but those will have some access limitations depending on platform since they get closer to modding, and distribution of such packs will almost certainly be somewhat different due to there being more stuff going on and all that.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Hempuli posted:

If you have the game on Steam, you can opt-in to the "betatest" branch by right-clicking the game, going properties -> betas, and picking the branch from the drop-down menu. This allows access to the somewhat-unfinished editor, albeit without the upload/download capability. This branch might get open beta -style access to the online stuff eventually before the release of the editor, but I'm not sure yet.

Also, Baba turned one year old some weeks ago! Yay!
Grats, this is fantastic news! A great reason to come back to this game eventually. Time for everyone to learn that making puzzles is harder than solving them.
And maybe i'll finally figure out the last dozen levels i've been stuck on.

Hempuli posted:

(Also thank you for all the kind words said here & elsewhere about the game. I'm sorry that I wasn't more active in the thread back when the game was new; I wasn't entirely sure how to best handle communication. Oh well!)
Don't sweat it, the game spoke for itself very well.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well. A level editor. How about that.

Guess I have to buy it again on Steam for the ultimate level editing experience

I loving love Baba Is You

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I suck at Baba and shudder to think of what the community will put together.

Unrelated to that, I was listening to this interview with Rare's Dr. Doak and as he was talking about his appreciation of Fortnight and I was thinking "man that'd be so neat if the scientist I killed in goldeneye liked something I made" and then he mentioned Baba as one of the games that he has really enjoyed recently.

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/podcast-april-2-2020/
(mention is at 1:14:20 but the whole interview is pretty interesting if you care about Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Time Splitters, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Friend posted:

I suck at Baba and shudder to think of what the community will put together.

Unrelated to that, I was listening to this interview with Rare's Dr. Doak and as he was talking about his appreciation of Fortnight and I was thinking "man that'd be so neat if the scientist I killed in goldeneye liked something I made" and then he mentioned Baba as one of the games that he has really enjoyed recently.

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/podcast-april-2-2020/
(mention is at 1:14:20 but the whole interview is pretty interesting if you care about Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Time Splitters, etc.)

Thanks for the link!

Been working a lot on making the editor work using a gamepad; I haven't really done this kind of UI work before and it's quite a bunch of work. Going to really have to utilize all those buttons to make using it slick'n'nice.

Some early testing: