Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does anyone know if you can change difficulty levels with NG+? I know you can lower it at any time, but I'm curious if you can bump it up to Lunatic if you start an NG+ run after it's available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

You can get Prof level-ups, Supports (Only those you've seen before) Skill Levels (Only those that character has reached before), special items that let you add Crests to characters at will and you can choose from the pre or post timeskip designs for characters you've recruited.

Every option apart from the last one costs renown

Oh, and all Statue levels carry over, no charge.

And yeah, NG+ is basically a brand new start - can change gender, name, birthday, casual/classic and difficulty.

EDIT: I don't know what decides starting Renown on NG+ - I had 3400, which I presume is 400 I had lying around that I couldn't spend and 3k for finishing the game?

Complete_Cynic fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 30, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Complete_Cynic posted:

And yeah, NG+ is basically a brand new start - can change gender, name, birthday, casual/classic and difficulty.

Hell yes

Unless they specifically don't allow you to go into Lunatic in NG+ I'm really excited to do that just for some of the convenience factor.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The game takes a lot of names from real world and stories, but coming across a hero's relic weapon named after a symbol of an old Finnish god was seriously weird.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Complete_Cynic posted:

You can get Prof level-ups, Supports (Only those you've seen before) Skill Levels (Only those that character has reached before), special items that let you add Crests to characters at will and you can choose from the pre or post timeskip designs for characters you've recruited.

Every option apart from the last one costs renown

Oh, and all Statue levels carry over, no charge.

EDIT: I don't know what decides starting Renown on NG+ - I had 3400, which I presume is 400 I had lying around that I couldn't spend and 3k for finishing the game?

How are the prices? Like how much of the support and teacher levels you had were you reasonably able to carry over?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Onmi posted:

New Game Plus information for those who need it.

The more renown you have, the more you can carry over into the next save file
So uhm, does spending it on statues prevent you from carrying stuff over?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

OddObserver posted:

So uhm, does spending it on statues prevent you from carrying stuff over?

You will retain your statue rank so I'd buy those until you don't like any of the further bonuses.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

How are the prices? Like how much of the support and teacher levels you had were you reasonably able to carry over?

3400 was enough for me to get up to Prof B+ but not enough for A - I've not bothered looking at the other costs much yet, want to get back to A+ ASAP so I can do 3 battles per session again.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Question about promoting:

Should I be staying in classes to unlock their master abilities or promoting as soon as I'm able to? I've noticed that my units tend to be able to promote long before they're mastered a class, so I have to choose between a promoted class's stat growths or staying in the earlier class for a master ability.

Which is usually the right call? Is it sometimes worth not promoting (or reclassing to an earlier class) and eating several more levels of worse stat growths to get the master abilities/arts?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The majority of mastered abilities are bad prior to advanced, just promote.

Deathblow/Fiendish Blow are the only ones that are worth mastering, imo until advanced classes.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Harrow posted:

Question about promoting:

Should I be staying in classes to unlock their master abilities or promoting as soon as I'm able to? I've noticed that my units tend to be able to promote long before they're mastered a class, so I have to choose between a promoted class's stat growths or staying in the earlier class for a master ability.

Which is usually the right call? Is it sometimes worth not promoting (or reclassing to an earlier class) and eating several more levels of worse stat growths to get the master abilities/arts?

Promote ASAP, is my stance - you stand a decent chance of getting pity stats (ie raised to that class's minimum), and you can just reclass down any time you feel like it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just realized that it's only the weekly special that's once per exploration. You can eat as many regular meals as you drat well please.

There really seems to be no point to resting, huh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That makes sense--I'll keep promoting ASAP, then.

Out of curiosity, can you use master arts in any class or just the abilities? It looks like Myrmidon gets Swap, for example, which could be fun to play with.

I wonder if class XP ever comes faster. Like I can think of a bunch of units I'd love Deathblow on who I wouldn't necessarily want to use as a Brigand for very long.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 30, 2019

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
so is tea parties charisma bonus random? I want that charm so I can recruit people as backpacks.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

it's so bizarre that intsys' big return to consoles with one of the most ambitious titles in the series barely had intsys involved at all

they don't mention giving any writers so was that just entirely KT too?

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I don’t care how good my Felix is, I want his resting bitch face in dancer clothes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

rannum posted:

it's so bizarre that intsys' big return to consoles with one of the most ambitious titles in the series barely had intsys involved at all

they don't mention giving any writers so was that just entirely KT too?

There are 17 people from Intsys. Presumably, that's where all the writing is. You don't need that many writing staff.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

not a bot posted:

The game takes a lot of names from real world and stories, but coming across a hero's relic weapon named after a symbol of an old Finnish god was seriously weird.

The great Fire Emblem tradition of naming poo poo after random mythologies and religions never fails to delight.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I love you Bernadetta you complete disaster of a human being.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dr Pepper posted:

Hearing her talk about her dad's "training" was :stare:

Harrow posted:

That makes sense--I'll keep promoting ASAP, then.

Out of curiosity, can you use master arts in any class or just the abilities? It looks like Myrmidon gets Swap, for example, which could be fun to play with.

I wonder if class XP ever comes faster. Like I can think of a bunch of units I'd love Deathblow on who I wouldn't necessarily want to use as a Brigand for very long.

If you get an art for a mastery, it can go on almost any class unless that class is specifically barred from something tied to that mastery. Like I don't think you can put Fistfaire on a Holy Knight because they can't use fist weapons.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Dr Pepper posted:

Even though her agoraphobia is cartoonish, it's really not her fault at all. :smith:

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Are there infinite grinding spots in Three Houses?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Reik posted:

Only on normal

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Reik posted:

Nope. There are limited battles based on the calendar and even on maps with infinite enemies there's a hard 99 turn limit that triggers a game over.

Also enemies start giving gently caress all exp once you're a higher level and they moved away from 100 exp points to level.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Tae posted:

Only on normal

Would it be beneficial to do the first run on Normal then, so I can max out whatever transfers over to NG+?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I am starting to regret picking the Golden Deer as my first house. Not because they're bad or anything, far from it, but Hilda, Claude and Lysithea has all become capable of just removing any unit off the map, with Lys being able to do it from a different zipcode, while Marianne can heal someone from one to full also from across the map. The other houses aren't going to compare whatsoever, even if it might be nice to have someone who knows what a sword is for variety's sake.

Leonie is turning out a bit bad because her speed is trash, though; what plants give speed enhancing drugs?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Reik posted:

Would it be beneficial to do the first run on Normal then, so I can max out whatever transfers over to NG+?

Renown comes form quests. Also don't worry about minmaxing, it's fairly easy.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Gamerofthegame posted:

I am starting to regret picking the Golden Deer as my first house. Not because they're bad or anything, far from it, but Hilda, Claude and Lysithea has all become capable of just removing any unit off the map, with Lys being able to do it from a different zipcode, while Marianne can heal someone from one to full also from across the map. The other houses aren't going to compare whatsoever, even if it might be nice to have someone who knows what a sword is for variety's sake.

Leonie is turning out a bit bad because her speed is trash, though; what plants give speed enhancing drugs?

Carrots!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Gamerofthegame posted:

Likewise I can't remember the last time anything actual did damage to Human Fortress Edalgard or Scowling Nuke Boy Hubert didn't one-shot a non-monster enemy. So I kind of feel the same but for a different house. It feels a bit like it's just the nature of the game. Combat feels more like a puzzle to maximise support and spread XP at the moment. I'm still enjoying it (and I'm not all that far in so there may still be some difficulty spikes to come) though.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 30, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Is there any child in this school who has a parent who is both alive and not terrible?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

The other houses have units that just as OP

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

Same with Lys though Leonie right now is my prime tank Cavalier. She just destroys so much with crits and takes minuscule damage from most stuff.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Andrast posted:

The other houses have units that just as OP

let's be real I don't think fire emblem has a unit as op as lysithea with a staff

the whole glass cannon aspect falls off the side when you have +2 range

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Funky Valentine posted:

Is there any child in this school who has a parent who is both alive and not terrible?

Edelgard, Lysithea, Felix, Claude and maybe Hilda are the only ones I can think of.

Ashe would be on the list but you murder his dad in an early school chapter so rip him.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Gamerofthegame posted:

let's be real I don't think fire emblem has a unit as op as lysithea with a staff

wait, which staff? so far i only have the healing one from (i think) ingrid and dorothea's paralogue

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

wait, which staff? so far i only have the healing one from (i think) ingrid and dorothea's paralogue

Lorenz has a paralogue that gives a hero relic that is a +2 range to all spells staff.

Put it on Lysithea and she is not so much a woman as a tiny god

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

I've gotten most of Caspar and Linhardt's supports and their dads seem fine at least?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Enemy archers in the late game have 4 range so keeping your squishies safe is tough.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lorenz has a paralogue that gives a hero relic that is a +2 range to all spells staff.

Put it on Lysithea and she is not so much a woman as a tiny god

is it gonna be a problem trying to tackle this paralogue if my lorenz is noticeably behind the rest of the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Funky Valentine posted:

I would say Sylvain, but his older brother did get disowned for not having a crest, so...