Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Critical posted:

I skipped forward randomly to see him kick out of a powebomb by sticking both hands up straight into the air. His shoulders didnt even move.

Exact same for me lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TriffTshngo posted:

question:

why are there matt taven fans

Same reason as Taichi, irony with a dash of 'he can actually work when he wants to'.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Question; if we discount the WWE Hardcore title (and I guess 24/7 title), then who in the WWE has the most title reigns? Is it somebody like Jericho/Mix/Kofi/Dolph who combined must have IC Title resigns in the 40s?

Fake edit. I mean combined title reigns of any title, so for example Jericho is a 26 time champion in WWE.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Question; if we discount the WWE Hardcore title (and I guess 24/7 title), then who in the WWE has the most title reigns? Is it somebody like Jericho/Mix/Kofi/Dolph who combined must have IC Title resigns in the 40s?

Fake edit. I mean combined title reigns of any title, so for example Jericho is a 26 time champion in WWE.

Probably Edge or HHH. Both have a LOT of reigns with the world, IC, and tag straps.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edge has 31, HHH has 24

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

best 2.9 count imo was daniels vs joe from glory by honor 2.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
One of my favorites was the Kevin Owens Murders Sami Zayn match from NXT, there's a nearfall where Sami doesn't even kick out, he just barely rolls his shoulder over at 2.9 while still half-dead.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone please answer my question

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

DoctorGonzo posted:

someone please answer my question

It opens with a midnight express and Cornette promo. I'm not seeing any music.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It opens with a midnight express and Cornette promo. I'm not seeing any music.

its really quiet but if it helps you is the instrumental theme they used in recaps or something like that. its a piece of electronic music

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Has there ever been a mask match that stipulated the winner wearing the loser's mask?

This Andrade v. Rey feud should do that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Benne posted:

One of my favorites was the Kevin Owens Murders Sami Zayn match from NXT, there's a nearfall where Sami doesn't even kick out, he just barely rolls his shoulder over at 2.9 while still half-dead.

And it worked for that match, because Owens did a lackadaisical cover, basically giving Sami a chance to quit. Sami didn't, so Owens beat his rear end and won by TKO.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shine posted:

And it worked for that match, because Owens did a lackadaisical cover, basically giving Sami a chance to quit. Sami didn't, so Owens beat his rear end and won by TKO.

Sami in NXT had some of the best wrestling matches around storytelling-wise. They weren't in Tokyo Dome so no one will believe me but I swear to God, poo poo was great.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

its really quiet but if it helps you is the instrumental theme they used in recaps or something like that. its a piece of electronic music

I can barely hear it, but isn’t it just the Midnights’ entrance theme? If it is it’s The Chase by Giorgio Morodor. I’ll try to listen with headphones later.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Bidness posted:

I can barely hear it, but isn’t it just the Midnights’ entrance theme? If it is it’s The Chase by Giorgio Morodor. I’ll try to listen with headphones later.

it is! thank you!

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Big Bidness posted:

Holy poo poo, that's also the opening theme to Coast to Coast AM!

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Can anybody help me find a video? It was a reaction to the WWF rebranding as WWE and was shared heavily on Limewire/Kazaa in 2002. It had clips of WWF up until that point set to Blurry by Puddle of Mudd. Bret Hart walking to the ring with his epaulettes, Yoko crushing jobbers, HBK and HHH crotch chopping, undertaker flying over the flames into Kane etc

It sounds ridiculous but it's a complete product of it's time and has to be seen.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Takuan posted:

it is, and it’s from the soundtrack he did for a movie called... Midnight Express.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Takuan posted:

Little known fact The Rock N Roll Express used Midnight In the Desert as their theme.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Can anybody help me find a video? It was a reaction to the WWF rebranding as WWE and was shared heavily on Limewire/Kazaa in 2002. It had clips of WWF up until that point set to Blurry by Puddle of Mudd. Bret Hart walking to the ring with his epaulettes, Yoko crushing jobbers, HBK and HHH crotch chopping, undertaker flying over the flames into Kane etc

It sounds ridiculous but it's a complete product of it's time and has to be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA0FXT_arUw

edit: it looks like this is a tribute to the original video, and not the original video, which was far better. i'm sorry

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Choom Gangster posted:

Has there ever been a mask match that stipulated the winner wearing the loser's mask?

I swear there had to have been at least one chikara match where wrestlers fought over who gets to use a masked gimmick, it sounds too right to be wrong

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Dias posted:

Sami in NXT had some of the best wrestling matches around storytelling-wise. They weren't in Tokyo Dome so no one will believe me but I swear to God, poo poo was great.

Has less to do with the Tokyo Dome and more to do with the fact that main roster WWE has made him absolutely and totally irrelevant. Besides, plenty people still talk about his match against Nakamura at least.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Germansimp posted:

Has less to do with the Tokyo Dome and more to do with the fact that main roster WWE has made him absolutely and totally irrelevant. Besides, plenty people still talk about his match against Nakamura at least.

People talk up his title match with Neville/PAC too as if its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It isn't, it's a top tier match but it's not a ***** classic, though the post-match angle and watching the show back and seeing all the little moments hinting at the post-match angle is loving phenomenal and that is a five star classic in storytelling.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I liked NXT Kevin Owens because he rightly pointed out that he had a family to support, and being the champ meant more money and a better life for his kids, so he wanted to get a title shot as quickly as possible. But he was still a heel because he was such a massive rear end in a top hat about it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Kevin Owens is a prick and a loving father.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Choom Gangster posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but the two Sin Caras did have a match to decide who got to keep the gimmick.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Price Check posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but the two Sin Caras did have a match to decide who got to keep the gimmick.

Imagine having to fight over who gets to be loving Sin Cara lmao.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Imagine having to fight over who gets to be loving Sin Cara lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyfsbQQYSIs

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Price Check posted:

Isn't the guy who lost that match the current Sin Cara?

Edit: And the guy who lost went back to Mexico and fought a guy who had taken his old gimmick while he was gone, beat him... but then he changed his name anyway and let the other guy keep the old one?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: And the guy who lost went back to Mexico and fought a guy who had taken his old gimmick while he was gone, beat him... but then he changed his name anyway and let the other guy keep the old one?

Pretty sure LA Park also won a match like that, then allowed the fake to keep the La Parka name

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Aesop Poprock posted:

I swear there had to have been at least one chikara match where wrestlers fought over who gets to use a masked gimmick, it sounds too right to be wrong

In terms of two guys with the same (or similar) gimmick wrestling in a mask vs. mask match? They did one a few months ago with Dasher Hatfield vs. his son Boomer Hatfield. Boomer won and Dasher's free to be more serious as a main eventer.

They also did the opposite a couple years ago. Race Jaxon vs. Hype Rockwell in a match where the loser was forced to wear a mask from then on. Race lost and went from egotistical male model to insane, self-important avant garde artist named Blank.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

He went back to Mexico and joined AAA where they called him Myzteziz. He then left after a year and started doing Lucha Libre Elite. AAA trademarked the name, so he floated using the name Mistic2.0 to trick AAA into trademarking it and started using Caristico instead. He eventually went back to CMLL where there is someone else using the Mistico gimmick.

The current Mistico was Dragon Lee before taking the Mistico gimmick. The current Dragon Lee is the current Mistico's brother. Still with me?

Caristico and Mistico will tease tension sometimes but are teaming more than they are wrestling. They haven't had a feud over the name or mask.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shine posted:

I liked NXT Kevin Owens because he rightly pointed out that he had a family to support, and being the champ meant more money and a better life for his kids, so he wanted to get a title shot as quickly as possible. But he was still a heel because he was such a massive rear end in a top hat about it.

"I will break your arms to provide my children with a better life" is a fantastic heel gimmick tbh

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

DLC Inc posted:

"I will break your arms to provide my children with a better life" is a fantastic heel gimmick tbh

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I need I got kids this job

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
'I don't give a sh*t about your kids'

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Jerusalem posted:

And to add to what MRT said:

The current Sin Cara is from Juarez, and he used the name Mistico in border towns and northern Mexico for years before CMLL repackaged Astro Boy as their Mistico. Because Mexican trademark law is weird and, from the lucha cases that have made news, doesn't appear to make any sense, he ended up being barred from using the name. In AAA, he was Incognito, though he would still use names like "Mystico" and "Mistico de Juarez" in the areas where he was well-known. In 2010, he signed with WWE, being assigned to FCW and working as "Hunico." In 2011, Triple H snags CMLL Mistico as one of his first big signings and has him skip developmental...only for there to be a bunch of complaints about his attitude and a drug test positive with a quickness.

Before the suspension was up, they brought Hunico to the main roster...as Sin Cara. Keep in mind that the two Misticos HATED each other.There were VERY subtle hints dropped on commentary, subtle enough that they wouldn't matter if Hunico assumed the Sin Cara gimmick permanently. Just as it seemed like it was going to happen, Hunico had a disastrously bad match at a SmackDown taping, they had to reshoot the whole thing, and they decided to turn him heel as fake Sin Cara/Sin Cara Negro while bringing back CMLL Mistico as real Sin Cara/Sin Cara Azul. Then Negro cut a bilingual TitanTron promo on Azul where he went over the legit backstory—saying that Sin Cara stole his identity as Mistico, so he was repaying the favor—though none of it was explained by the English announcers. Azul won a mask match, Negro was repackaged as an unmasked Hunico...and eventually Azul/CMLL Mistico was cut with Hunico replacing him in the gimmick.

Whew.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CityMidnightJunky posted:

'I don't give a sh*t about your kids'

one of Brock's best promos ever imo. the shittiness of it plus Heath's forlorn face sold it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

davidbix posted:

The current Sin Cara is from Juarez, and he used the name Mistico in border towns and northern Mexico for years before CMLL repackaged Astro Boy as their Mistico. Because Mexican trademark law is weird and, from the lucha cases that have made news, doesn't appear to make any sense, he ended up being barred from using the name. In AAA, he was Incognito, though he would still use names like "Mystico" and "Mistico de Juarez" in the areas where he was well-known. In 2010, he signed with WWE, being assigned to FCW and working as "Hunico." In 2011, Triple H snags CMLL Mistico as one of his first big signings and has him skip developmental...only for there to be a bunch of complaints about his attitude and a drug test positive with a quickness.

Before the suspension was up, they brought Hunico to the main roster...as Sin Cara. Keep in mind that the two Misticos HATED each other.There were VERY subtle hints dropped on commentary, subtle enough that they wouldn't matter if Hunico assumed the Sin Cara gimmick permanently. Just as it seemed like it was going to happen, Hunico had a disastrously bad match at a SmackDown taping, they had to reshoot the whole thing, and they decided to turn him heel as fake Sin Cara/Sin Cara Negro while bringing back CMLL Mistico as real Sin Cara/Sin Cara Azul. Then Negro cut a bilingual TitanTron promo on Azul where he went over the legit backstory—saying that Sin Cara stole his identity as Mistico, so he was repaying the favor—though none of it was explained by the English announcers. Azul won a mask match, Negro was repackaged as an unmasked Hunico...and eventually Azul/CMLL Mistico was cut with Hunico replacing him in the gimmick.

Whew.

Wrestling is so stupid :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Whew.

We don't really know if the current Sin Cara used the name Mistico first. I've never seen an actual match record of him wrestling as Mistico prior to 2004 when Caristico got the gimmick. If he did he probably started using it within a year of Caristico getting the gimmick.

Incognito is legitimately one of the lamest high flying luchadors I have ever seen. He sucked when he'd get US indie dates, his flying is just very awkward. His mat work is fine, but he wasn't brought in to do that. It made even less sense for him to be brought in as Sin Cara because Caristico is just so incredible at what he does in terms of flying moves. It was never going to work with someone who can't really fly, and that's why he botched everything in his debut and then changed directions.